One of by favorite features of the blackberry is the calendar. It really is an under-rated feature--the ability to have multiple color-coded calendars and see them individually or all together is especially useful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 02:21 PM
    I am an owner of the blackberry storm 9500, and i think that the large screen is quite the added bonus to the blackberry phone. In fact i dont think i could switch to any blackberry other than the storm 9520.
    I just wish that they were on one calendar....I know you can set it to show all calendars, but I always have issues then with syncing.
    12-16-09 02:22 PM
    Hmmm, good questions.

1. Like Nokia, RIM has been around for many years. Nokia is the worldwide market leader, but does not do well in North America while RIM has an increasing market share here. What do you think this can be attributed to?

I'd go with the theory that devices tend to grow their audiences at home, and then propagate outward from there. In this case, RIM is a North American entity, and is seen as the flag-bearer for the smartphone here. Especially among companies who use it as a means to manage their mobile workforce.

2. I've played a bit with Kevin's Storm 2 and am wondering if you all think RIM will continue to make touchscreen BlackBerry devices? It seems to me that QWERTY keyboard devices are the heart and soul of RIM and the touchscreen seems a bit out of character.

Touchscreens are here to stay, but I think convergence is the key when looking at the future in the smartphone field. Computers themselves are moving towards a smaller form factor, and cell phones have generally morphed into what we see as the smartphone today. The new line of tablet-based devices are smack in the middle. In the short term, I think you'll see all the major smart phone developers put out devices with touchscreens -- and the more successful ones will have BOTH a touchscreen and a physical keypad of some sort. In the mid-term, I can see converged devices that come closer and closer to actually making your smartphone your main computer as well. Imagine a smartphone that you can set down on your desk, and it projects an image on the wall in front of you as well as a virtual keyboard at your fingertips. That's where I see this segment going to for all the high-end manufacturers in the next 5-10 years.

3. What BlackBerry feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your BlackBerry with a Nokia smartphone?

The way RIM handles its secure e-mail systems. I can't do my job with any less secure e-mail system than the one on my Blackberry.

4. Like Nokia, RIM's UI is dated. Do you think RIM needs to modernize it or are your perfectly happy and familiar with what you have now?

RIM's UI has to improve. It is likely the one thing that holds they platform back as a group. Of course, the other thing holding the platform back is that it is a group. There are too many devices with different specifications to hold to a single standard, making it hard for developers to write applications for the platform. That includes the RIM developers working on the UI for the Blackberry family as a whole.

5. Have you seen the Nokia E71 or E72 with front facing QWERTY like a typical BlackBerry? What differentiates a BlackBerry from these devices?

Yes, I've seen and held (and used for a very short time) both devices at different trade shows and other such events -- or just bummed one from a friend to make a call/check the web. My Verizon BB doesn't do Europe. :-(

In both cases, Nokia is like RIM in that they have their own unique way of approaching what a smartphone is supposed to do, and how it does it. Nokia seems more in tune with the consumer's personal life, where RIM is more business-oriented. I know that's an overgeneralization, but that's just the way the different devices form and function seem to come across to me.
    Last edited by afwriter; 12-16-09 at 02:34 PM.
    12-16-09 02:30 PM
    My tour's software has bit the dust several times. I have had to reinstall my software from my download manager. Has Nokia had any specific software failures to note? I would miss my trackball, unless of course Nokia makes one.
    12-16-09 02:33 PM
    I personally think Nokia doesn't do well here because most of us Americans take a first impression to heart and my first nokia was one of those black and white screened no sms Nokias and that is what I think of lol... I can't even say I have ever seen/played with a Nokia smartphone.
    12-16-09 02:33 PM
    I'm going to answer one question at a time per day so that I can get more entries .

I'll start with an answer to question # 2. I think if RIM is as smart as I think they are, they will migrate toward what Palm is doing with their PIXI and have Blackberry devices that have a physical QWERTY keyboard and a touch screen. This will be the Blackberry device that I will do everything in my power to get once it comes out!

Ben
    12-16-09 02:34 PM
    I just got my second BlackBerry yesterday, a new 9700. Had my first, an 8300, for 2 and a half years. Rock solid device, the original Curve. Only weak spot is the trackball. I am, of course, now completely spoiled by finally having WiFi, GPS, and 3G. Oh, and the trackpad is great!

My favorite aspect of the BlackBerry is the amount of control you have over your own device. Software glitch? Update the OS, or wipe it and completely reload it. Remove unwanted modules to free up space and keep your device running lean. Back up your apps and data, move them to another device effortlessly (even a non-BB device!). Not fully satisfied with your carrier's "official" OS release? Install whichever version you want, or, if you are stupid skilled enough, cherry pick modules and create your own hybrid OS. What? Your hand-crafted Super-Duper Executor OS bricked your phone? Not a problem. Plug it in, wipe it, reload, and start all over again after you restore your backed-up data.

Stability, recoverability, security, versatility, reliability, and the best damned radios outside of Finland.

I've owned 9 Nokias, loved them all, was a self-proclaimed Nokia fanboy until AT&T botched the N75 launch. Saw a pre-release ad for the Curve and never looked back.
    12-16-09 02:48 PM
    I'm going to answer one question at a time per day so that I can get more entries .

I'll start with an answer to question # 2. I think if RIM is as smart as I think they are, they will migrate toward what Palm is doing with their PIXI and have Blackberry devices that have a physical QWERTY keyboard and a touch screen. This will be the Blackberry device that I will do everything in my power to get once it comes out!

Ben
    I definitely agree with this statement!
    I have heard gossip about RIM testing out a design for a touchscreen Blackberry with a slide-out Qwerty keyboard. I would be all over that if it became reality!
    There's probably nothing I would specifically miss about my Blackberry because for me, it's all about the apps and email/social/messaging functionality... I don't think any one smartphone is lacking in those areas. RIM needs to improve their browser but that won't make me leave Blackberry for any other phone. I would like to try out the Nokia N900 though, it looks pretty sweet!
    Although I would miss the look of my Blackberry... the last few models that came out look amazing. I have the 9700 right now and love the look of it, and I'm super excited about the new Pearl too.
    1. Here in Brasil it is the opposite. Nokia has a much larger market share than RIM, but I can see it changing easily, specially with the 8520 and the serious cut down on prices. People here, from students to business executives, are looking for reliability and thats something Blackberry can offer with easy. Push email and the ability to integrate with so many corporate powerhouse software makes it even more attractive. We just need carriers to stop being that greedy so it can turn into a real option.

2. RIM will keep on making Storms (and eventually slider blackberries) because there is a market for them. Eventually, they will come to master it, just as they mastered the QWERTY models.

3. This is so hard to tell. Trackpad? BBM? BrickBreaker? Push email? The QWERTY? The 7 bullets logo? The community? Crackberry? The fact I can be online 24/7 and either be productive or just surf the web till my eyes bleed?

4. Both. I see many people happy enough because they can upgrade devices with almost no learning curve. RIM should take advantage of this, and use newer technology available to give us a stronger OS, with better looking graphics, new/updated features, but which we'll all still feel at home, despite the "makeup".

5. I have seen the E71. It feels like a solid device. I am still to have a real go with it (my friend does not live this close) but I'd say it holds it's ground as a productivity device from what she said. Now if it's keyboard is on pair with my 8520, I'd say it's not. I had trouble trying to type on it, but my Curve was as easy as it goes. If it's any good, the E71 is surely better than the Motorola Q11...
    12-16-09 02:53 PM
    i want a new blackberry!!
    12-16-09 03:08 PM
    1) In terms of non-smartphone use, Nokia has always been a leader and an innovator, at least that's how it seems to me. When looking for a new device, I always check back and see what Nokia has to offer and compared it with other devices. I remember the first time I saw the Nokia Communicator. It was way ahead of its time, however price wise, the normal user wouldn't have been able to rationalize paying so much for a phone. On the other hand, Blackberries have been setting competitive prices for their smartphones, while catering to both the consumer market, as well as the business market. I'm sure if Nokia smartphones were brought over earlier it would have been a very close competition. The Nokia devices that I liked were only available overseas, which hampered my choice of smart phones. To this you could place part of the blame on cell phone providers for limiting what devices are released. Nokia is mainly makes GSM phones, where here users are split between GSM and CDMA users. Also, not too many people here swap their sim cards between phones.

2) So long as there's a market for touchscreen devices, Blackberry will continue to produce the Storm line. It seems that there has been a shift from qwerty devices to touchscreen devices, in the advent of the iPhone. However, there will always be qwerty devices because of the space taken up by the touchscreen keyboards.

3) Blackberry Messenger and the ability to do a remote wipe (when connected to BES). I've played around with the E71 and other than its small keyboard and screen size, compared to my Bold 9000, I would definitely use it.

4) The UI could use some change, even with 5.0 it still lacks something. However, just like the Nokia it is very easy to navigate through.
    12-16-09 03:20 PM
    This is my first year participating with the Smartphone Round Robin and I am honored to be a part of the Smartphone Experts group. This week Nokia Experts (that's me) is taking a look at the almighty BlackBerry platform and to kick things off and help me understand the BlackBerry platform I am starting this thread and plan to participate in the discussion here on CrackBerry.com.

I have some familiarity with the BlackBerry platform and some devices, but this is a platform I use the least due to my need to swap my SIM between multiple Nokia devices and I can't have it provisioned for BlackBerry service.

Here are a few questions I have for you BlackBerry owners to kick off the discussion:

1. Like Nokia, RIM has been around for many years. Nokia is the worldwide market leader, but does not do well in North America while RIM has an increasing market share here. What do you think this can be attributed to?
    2. I've played a bit with Kevin's Storm 2 and am wondering if you all think RIM will continue to make touchscreen BlackBerry devices? It seems to me that QWERTY keyboard devices are the heart and soul of RIM and the touchscreen seems a bit out of character.
    3. What BlackBerry feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your BlackBerry with a Nokia smartphone?
    4. Like Nokia, RIM's UI is dated. Do you think RIM needs to modernize it or are your perfectly happy and familiar with what you have now?
    5. Have you seen the Nokia E71 or E72 with front facing QWERTY like a typical BlackBerry? What differentiates a BlackBerry from these devices?

....there's plenty more to talk about, so don't feel limited by the above. Remember, every day you make a post in this thread for the next week, you'll be automatically entered to win a BlackBerry device from CrackBerry.com! More details at www.smartphoneroundrobin.com

It has been very interesting reading everybody's comments as it seems like everybody has put a lot of thought into it. It's interesting for me because I actually work for a telco here in oz and so I sell phones for a living and so I get to play with most phones (fixing problems for the most part) here up until iphones were released it was nokia or nothing for the most part. The other manufacturers might release a phone that is really good (well in theory) eg samsung u700 or lg chocolate. Smart phones have only really hit off since iphones were released last year. Yes blackberries played their part in the corporate world and have only now really trickled down into the rest of the market, so to hear that nokia has almost no presence in the US/canada is intriguing.

As for your questions:

1: somebody said it before nokia is massive in europe because it is a european brand - I'm sure is we had own on manufacturer down under we would support home grown too

2: touch screens are a must these days - if companies want to compete with iphone that have to have something that looks/works kinda like an iphone - here the N97 is probably nokia's closest competitor to the iphone and so for blackberry they have the storm1 and coming early next year the storm2 - the market wants touch both biz and consumer alike

3: BIS - I know nokia have just released nokia mail which is kinda like BIS but setup on any nokia for email is a pain - blackberry you just type your email address and p/w and away you go. The other thing I've noticed is that you cannot delete the headers off the nokias either - which can get really annoying. Bbm is also the best - I have not seen anything else out there like it as a standard

4: like most people before me - 5.0 is awesome but the browser seriously needs to be quicker to compete with everything else - I know there is compression on blackberries which is awesome (I'm averaging 120mb/mth on my bb versus approx 600+ on any other phone that I've played with) but the browser for the most part is too slow and that's one of the biggest things for the aussie market - all the carriers here are really trying to push data packs and if the browser is slow then it really doesn't help. I've found the e71/N97 os to be more confusing than my blackberry (mind you I'm still playing with a 6110nav and want to get a 5130c (candybar phone) as my second handset - I've just found that nokia is the same os it has been for 15 years. Yes there have been some upgrades but its still for the most part the same thing - its just looking tired as did/does bby os until 5.0. - its prettier than before but still has a way to go

5: the e71 is not bad - tis one of our most popular handsets here in oz - as is the E63 - as I said before I found the layout of the E71 to be more confusing than my 9000 but the E63 (a dumbed down version of E71 for those that don't know) is quite good. N97 we have had sooo many returns for software issues it's crazy - the same for the 5800xpress music - but both have been massive here.

Ok I think I've rambled on enough - tis cool to see people will to try different handsets and not just stick to the one brand. As I say to all my customers - every brand is just as good or just as bad as each other - it totally depends on the model of the handset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 03:24 PM
    Although, I am considering switching to a Nokia device, more specifically a Nokia 6700 Classic. Despite it's size and not sporting a full QWERTY keyboard, it's still considered a smartphone by Nokia as it handles emails, has a calender which you can put appointments in and has instant messaging capabilities. I am done with the over priced data plans that Blackberries carry and I've found that the Nokia device I look to aquire would only need a $5 data plan compared to my $40 data plan for my Blackberry. I don't know about anyone else but that's a huge difference in price. No longer caught up in the hype and status.
    Can I keep your Bold after you migrate?
    12-16-09 03:30 PM
    Interesting video..

I hope you are enjoying the BB's!
    12-16-09 03:35 PM
    Nice video!!!

I love seeing comparisons done up with what else is out there.....
    12-16-09 03:47 PM

Probably because historically, Nokia has always been the cheap low-end candybar or flip phone that you get for free with a 2-year contract. People generally associate Nokia with inexpensive basic phones in the US, rather than with smartphones. Nokia also seems to be marketing their high-end smartphones (N900, etc) here as an unlocked phone for $400-$500, in a market where most phones are purchased subsidized from a carrier for a much lower price. Not to mention most Nokia smartphones are GSM, which is the only game in town overseas, but here it leaves out a good portion of North American users on CDMA networks.

I'm not a fan of touch screen phones in general. I refuse to get a BB Storm, or a iPhone, or a WinMo phone with no hardware keyboard. I like the tactile feedback of real buttons.

Probably just the BIS push-email service. I use Blackberry Messenger occasionally and its really handy for chatting with other friends with BB's without using SMS messages or an IM service, but not enough to make it a deal-breaker.

I like the current OS 4.7 user interface on my Tour 9630. I'd have no problem keeping this UI, its not exactly pretty or flashy looking, but in the end you can still read your email, messages, calendar, contacts, etc just fine; and I prefer to keep things more utilitarian than having fancy looking buttons and icons and transitions and stuff.

Probably just the back end BIS services that Blackberry provides. The push email, and data proxy services. Otherwise, either phone would get the job done for me, its just a personal phone I use for emailing, texting, IMing, social networking, and looking up the occasional phone number, directions, or such on the web. You can do all of those regardless of platform.
    12-16-09 03:56 PM
    I just got my first blackberry as a pda. Yea, no data plan but I am still loving it. One with WiFi would at least let me download apps. (You get what you can while unemployed for a year and your Palm OS Sony Clie is dieing.)
    12-16-09 04:03 PM
    Nokia phones are slim and sexy. I sometimes regret getting my 9700 after reading the reviews on the e72, but alot of girls seem to like the blackberry more than the e72 so guess that's another plus. Also the nokia push email solution seems a bit weird to use.
    12-16-09 04:03 PM
    Also the nokia push email solution seems a bit weird to use.
    It's not nearly as reliable as BIS either. Actually there are a few issues with it.
    12-16-09 04:07 PM
    i wonder what it would feel like to give your bb for a nokia. oh man i don't think i can do that lol
    12-16-09 04:07 PM
    I have been a happy BB Curve 8900 owner since February. It is a great phone. Let me see if I can answer some questions.

I wonder if Nokia sells their phones separately from carriers. Whereas here phones are subsidized by carriers and contracts, so it seems like they are givng them away when in actuality, you pay every penny for that phone. I can say that I've known for a long time how great the Nokia phones are, but could not afford the asking price.

The RIM QWERTY keyboard is awesome, but I think they need to branch out as they have been. I think the touchscreen has to get a lot better, or it won't be a winner.

Blackberry Messenger and email being pushed to me.

Yes, it definitely needs a facelift. The changes to SMS and Messenger for OS 5.0 are a welcome change, but they need to refresh the entire interface. And make cutting and pasting easier. I would also like to see tighter integration between the various apps on board. They also need to make the trackball better, or replace it entirely with something like the 9700 trackpad.

No, I have not seen these devices.

Overall, it's been a happy experience, and I will continue with Blackberries.
    12-16-09 04:44 PM

Ben
    I think this going to happen but RIM isn't going to rush....the 9700 has been deemed THE best full qwerty smartphone out there
    12-16-09 04:50 PM
    I just got my second BlackBerry yesterday, a new 9700. Had my first, an 8300, for 2 and a half years. Rock solid device, the original Curve. Only weak spot is the trackball. I am, of course, now completely spoiled by finally having WiFi, GPS, and 3G. Oh, and the trackpad is great!

My favorite aspect of the BlackBerry is the amount of control you have over your own device. Software glitch? Update the OS, or wipe it and completely reload it. Remove unwanted modules to free up space and keep your device running lean. Back up your apps and data, move them to another device effortlessly (even a non-BB device!). Not fully satisfied with your carrier's "official" OS release? Install whichever version you want, or, if you are stupid skilled enough, cherry pick modules and create your own hybrid OS. What? Your hand-crafted Super-Duper Executor OS bricked your phone? Not a problem. Plug it in, wipe it, reload, and start all over again after you restore your backed-up data.

Stability, recoverability, security, versatility, reliability, and the best damned radios outside of Finland.

I've owned 9 Nokias, loved them all, was a self-proclaimed Nokia fanboy until AT&T botched the N75 launch. Saw a pre-release ad for the Curve and never looked back.
    I love your story and what you think stands out about a Berry...especially "Stability, recoverability, security, versatility, reliability, and the best damned radios outside of Finland." These are all true and I exploit every possibility...check out my blog below.
    12-16-09 04:52 PM
    i wonder what it would feel like to give your bb for a nokia. oh man i don't think i can do that lol
    I would never...I need to be in BB rehab, I've been having dreams of having a 9700 only to wake up to an 8900(which I love) but, I'd have nightmares if i had to switch to a Nokia, or any other smart-phone for that matter.
    12-16-09 05:03 PM
271 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD