Taken from Sun-Sentinal Blogs...

New Apple iPhone will have 100 new features; There will be two models

> Posted by Daniel Vasquez on June 8, 2009 02:25 PM
    iPhone 3.0 is the new Terminator of smart phones - boasting 100 new features.

Apple and Co. announced today that its latest phone will be a work horse, offering up many of the features lacking in previous iPhone models that are being demanded today by consumers.

There will be two versions: The iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS (S is for speed). The 3G (8 GB) is available today for $99. The iPhone 3GS ($199 for 16 GB, $299 for 32 GB) will be available June 19.

Good news for owners of older iPhones: The iPhone OS 3.0 software will be available for free to all iPhone users (3G and original). $9.99 for iTouch users. Available worldwide on June 17th.

The quick and dirty list of new iPhone features include:

New camera with auto-focus, video. Also features tap-to-focus. Tap on the part of the photo you want to focus, and it automatically does so. Automatically handles exposure and white balance. Better low-light sensitivity as well. Also, auto-macro -- as close as 10 cm away. The camera application has a switch that lets you swap between still photo and video mode. 30FPS, VGA with audio, auto-focus, auto-white balance, auto-exposure.

Cut/copy/paste/undo functions across all applications.

MMS support (send and receive photos/contacts/audio files/locations) in Messages app (29 carriers in 76 countries will support MMS at launch -- AT&T not until later this summer.

Search mail. Even on server, calendars, media and notes.

Landscape mode for mail, notes and messages.

Internet tethering. May use your phone's Internet connection on your computer (Mac or PC) using USB or Bluetooth.

Rent or buy iTunes movies right from your phone. Can also purchase TV shows, music, and audiobooks.

If your phone is stolen, you can send it a remote wipe command that will delete all of your data (mail, contacts, etc). If you do find the phone, it will be restored from a backup. Find My iPhone is available to MobileMe customers -- it's a service. You can login to MobileMe on any browser and see where your phone is on a Google Map. (Hands down, my favorite feature.)
    TomTom GPS turn-by-turn directions app. Delivers all expected TomTom features in an iPhone interface. Includes text-to-speech to announce directions. They will sell an optional accessory that safely attaches an iPhone to a car. Thanks to the iPhone 3.0 accessory framework, it provides more accurate GPS, speakerphone, plays iPhone media on car stereo, and even charges it.

Peer to Peer connectivity. That means easy multiplayer gaming via Bluetooth (not Wifi).
    06-08-09 02:56 PM
    I hope for blackberries sake those prices aren't correct or the specs
    06-08-09 02:59 PM
    drool?

still prefer zune with windows mobile phones over itunes.. not gonna pay $30k to fill up an Ipod or $15k for an Iphone!

still can't believe they didn't include MMS originally. Otherwise I probably would've gone for it then (before I knew about zune pass)
    06-08-09 03:03 PM
    im about to jump ship.. Iphones destroy the storm.. If i didnt have contract with verizon... The difference between the iphone and the storm is the difference between tetris and call of duty 4.... sorry but its 100% true... like it or not..
    06-08-09 03:03 PM
    Pretty weak new Iphone. Almost nothing innovative at all. Same physical shell. All the rumors of front facing cameras, matte black backs etc untrue. Granted, they added new features that most of us have had for a long time e.g. video recording, voice command. But really, I don't think they did enough to justify anyone making the switch. It is essentially the same iphone 3G with more space and speed, and some new features they should have had in the first place.

Oh wait, there is now a compass..
    06-08-09 03:04 PM
    wow.. good point kerrchdavis.

I didn't read the whole thing but some of the "new" features are:

tomtom, mounting iphone to car, and playing media through car?!??

wow! too bad TomTom software sucks, garmin wins that battle everytime. Google maps is good enough and keeps getting better, and if you can't figure out where you are, streetview works great!

And what's this about mounting your iphone? Hasn't there always been accessories to mount phones to your dash board? WHOA!

And the same for playing media through your car stereo? It's called an ipod adapter?

Or do they mean bluetooth media through a bluetooh equipped head unit?

by the way where's all the 100 new features?

and who cares about macro on a phone? it's a phone, not an 8mp nokia or sony, etc.

cut, copy, paste, undo...what about redo?
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 03:13 PM.
    06-08-09 03:09 PM
    That's exactly my point! They keep touting this stuff that we've had for years as if its supposed to be new and innovative. What next, an iPhone that can make phone calls?

wow.. good point kerrchdavis.

I didn't read the whole thing but some of the "new" features are:

tomtom, mounting iphone to car, and playing media through car?!??

wow! too bad TomTom software sucks, garmin wins that battle everytime. Google maps is good enough and keeps getting better, and if you can't figure out where you are, streetview works great!

And what's this about mounting your iphone? Hasn't there always been accessories to mount phones to your dash board? WHOA!

And the same for playing media through your car stereo? It's called an ipod adapter?

Or do they mean bluetooth media through a bluetooh equipped head unit?

by the way where's all the 100 new features?
    06-08-09 03:12 PM
    I mean I'd still take it if the UI didn't look like a children's toy, dunno if that's customizeable and all but seriously. It's too big as well. I'd rather it be smaller and weigh more like the Touch Pro. Too bad the Touch Pro 2 doesn't have a dpad, it looks just like stupid iphone
    06-08-09 03:15 PM
    While I agree this list of features is clearly not Earth shattering, the iPhone overall still provides a more stable platform than what the Storm users have with all of the functionality, less MMS, which I rarely use.

I am quite disappointed that the world's original smartphone maker could not keep pace, but competition is good for the consumer. I only hope RIM gets their act together because right now they are following the GM model of business.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 06-08-09 at 03:28 PM.
    06-08-09 03:24 PM
    RIM is the world's original smartphone maker? what about the likes of HTC and all of the brands that died off? I wouldn't much call Blackberrys smartphones either. I'd call them Blackberrys. You can't really do as much without serious tech savyness as you can with WM phones to customize everything about them.. like roms and different dialers and bunches of other customization apps. As far as I know, RIM is all about security so the BB is limited to the way you buy it.

You buy BB knowing that: they have cool and fun keyboards that created drama like BB thumb, etc.

If you want a smartphone, try WM and avoid iphone and android - toys. The only BB I'd consider close to a smartphone is the Storm because it has a touchscreen. Too bad it still is limited to certain apps, but it's all about security. Smartphones without touchscreens are pretty much the past now.
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 03:34 PM.
    06-08-09 03:28 PM
    I believe RIM really created a product that was leaps ahead of its competition. I know Nokia and HTC had earlier models, but RIM, IMHO, commanded the market with the success of their wireless email. Creating a really successful name and product, only to fall behind is disappointing.
    06-08-09 03:33 PM
    The iphone is still for little boys and girls how likes to show off especially when they in a crowd (very insecure little boys and girls)
    Last edited by goodleader; 06-08-09 at 03:43 PM.
    06-08-09 03:35 PM
    This may be some comparisson and those who use one will know it to be true

I have ridden motorcycles for the last 30 years and my favourite is the honda blackbird(cbr1100x in the states)

I've had 6 only because I get bored with it and try the competition and enivitably go back to one.

The bird has been around since 1997 with only one major change in 99 with fuel injection, all the other updates have been paintjobs

but as time passed on everything that was it's strengths has now been copied and superceeded and in many cases owners have been pleading with honda directly and indirectly for an update to outperform the new standard bearers

They haven't and many owners have moved on to the new standard bearers. with the honda blackbird still only having it's one strength it start to looks like an ageing one trick pony

irrelevant wether it's the iphone or another in todays techno market staying still with only one driving marketing point

RIM need to pick up the ball or find it'self out of the game
    06-08-09 03:47 PM
    I'd say they are already out. The only people I know that want BBs either want them because they like the keyboard or because of the celebrity influnce~twitter (which of course some celebs have on their BBs). Actually I don't really know them, more like know of them. If I knew them I'd be able to sway them to a WM phone right off the bat.

The only reason I have a BB is because my HTC Touch Pro has a defect that HTC won't repair (long story). And as a spare phone of course I'm going to spend $70 and get a BB instead of some stupid generic sony or samsung. I'd rather try out the BB because I know it once had it's revolution all about the keyboard. Sure I have the Pearl with SureType, but its still fun! I'm bored now though since I miss my Touch Pro so much, wish I would've just gone with the G1 so I'd at least have 3g and built in GPS and a beloved touch screen and a real web browser.
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 04:00 PM.
    06-08-09 03:52 PM
    That's just it. If RIM would come out with a solid, exciting phone then they would be back in the game. Business consumers are a large portion of the market share, but BB shouldn't forget about the rest of the market. If they refuse to innovate in the technology field, they will find themselves as one of the brands that just died out.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 06-08-09 at 04:06 PM.
    06-08-09 04:02 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what do you like about the HTC Touch Pro that makes it such a good phone?
    06-08-09 04:04 PM
    Well it all started when I found a lost HTC 3125 inside a Kmart and got to play with it for about 20 minutes. The rest is history.

That was before the Iphone existed too.

From there I bought a used 3525 for $200... dropped it .. then I got the tilt without contract.. $400 bucks ... it works fine except then the TP came out and blew it out of the water.. And now the Tilt's keyboard doesn't always recognize certain keys.

Anyway TP loves: touch flo 3d (really love it coming from the older phones and having to stare at WM every time the screen turns on), gps, looks nice and is small compared to the Tilt, don't have to customize the UI because it's exactly what I want.. the dialer is perfect too (I isntalled the TP dialer on my Tilt before the TP came out)...

Basically Touch Flo sold me, and the TP is a lot quicker than the Tilt anyway.

And now I miss WM because I used to have XM radio till Sirius merged (should've been a good thing, it sucks), and then I found Zune Pass... and I know how to sync Zune DRM to my WM phones so I can have a zune phone.. just insert 16gb card for $30 and I'm set (works with my tilt but it's lame having the heavy *** tilt and BB with me wherever I go).

And there's still one downside to my Zune DRM trick.. you have to resync all of the files because they don't auto sync liek the zune... so I have to delete like 4gb of songs and then add them again, which takes forever even through usb 2.0 (the card has to be in the phone during the process, so maybe that's why it's so slow).

Hopefully WM6.5 will have some fix for the sync issue. Anyway, it's still worth it if you can live with having your phone sync for about 2 hours for 4gb of music... I'm not gonna bother with a 16gb card till my Touch Pro is repaired or refunded in court. At least I can take the sim out of the WM phone and put it in the BB while it syncs

But yeah, I'd rather have a Zune Pass for $15 a month to access millions of songs to download and keep 10 a month forever, than pay like 15k to 30k to fill an Iphone or Ipod with legally downloaded music. I don't endorse illegal downloading anymore since I'd rather have the best quality and support the music biz by paying (of course this makes a lot more sense if you go the zune route, because $1 per song or w/e price itunes uses now is still insane.)
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 04:27 PM.
    06-08-09 04:07 PM
    btw.. the $100 Iphone only has few of the new features... of course I still don't know where the 100 features list is..

Apple - iPhone - Compare iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G
    06-08-09 04:23 PM
    now everyone that is selling used Iphones on craigslist and the like is going to be pissed LOL
    06-08-09 04:28 PM
    RIM is the world's original smartphone maker? what about the likes of HTC and all of the brands that died off? I wouldn't much call Blackberrys smartphones either. I'd call them Blackberrys. You can't really do as much without serious tech savyness as you can with WM phones to customize everything about them.. like roms and different dialers and bunches of other customization apps. As far as I know, RIM is all about security so the BB is limited to the way you buy it.

You buy BB knowing that: they have cool and fun keyboards that created drama like BB thumb, etc.

If you want a smartphone, try WM and avoid iphone and android - toys. The only BB I'd consider close to a smartphone is the Storm because it has a touchscreen. Too bad it still is limited to certain apps, but it's all about security. Smartphones without touchscreens are pretty much the past now.
    While I was to scared to tweak my phone; I do agree with all that you had to say about Win Mo devices. When 7.1 comes out it will be even better.
    With the Touch Flo on the HTC phones man. I remember the 3rd party
    apps I got for my xv6800 were pretty nice. I will be looking at the new Win Mo devices coming out this year (HTC). The iphone is nice; but Win Mo
    u can add a tun of functionality to your phone. I switched to the Storm
    for the screen size and the GPS capabilities. AAPL does have a great UI
    but u can do the same with Win Mo as well.
    06-15-09 09:54 AM
    Yeah well the ATT Tilt aka Kaiser had GPS, and so did the first Touch Pro..and if you don't want to pay for a GPS subscription just buy a 3rd party APP or use Google Maps - I love Google Maps because it's always updated before any other source because it's the same map data you get when you log on with a PC.

Except now I'm really upset that instead of showing street names they show neighborhood names unless you zoom in insanely close.. I like being able to see what streets are coming up far in advance because I'm driving at least 50 mph all the time.
    06-15-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD