SO, I was going to get an iPhone. I decided to wait thinking that the price may go down later. So I stayed with my Verizon carrier, and I turned to the Moto Q but settled on the Blackberry 8130.

Windows Mobile is superb and with its Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, the Moto Q is able to navigate to websites like beeline tv and open free live stream tv players from all around the world for free. The Moto Q also comes with a full QWERTY keyboard and big, handsome, viewing screen.

The Moto Q also comes with V-Cast, and you can download video games to it.

My Blackberry 8130 also gets video games (I have Ka-Glom, Overdrive, Pro Golf, and Monopoly- each $10.00). Though Moto Q offers better soccer video games.

Both the Moto Q and 8130 can store movies and videos in some form or another. Both the Moto Q and 8130 can utilize mobile tv services like MobiTV.

In the end, I prefer the simpler 8130. Even though it lacks file complexity, a strong web browser, and Windows Media Player Mobile, the BB 8130 can play 95% of the videos on YouTube Mobile, while the Moto Q has difficulties.

So one of my question is, how valuable do you think YouTube Mobile is?

02-29-08 05:06 AM
    I never use it. But, others use it- daily.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-29-08 06:39 PM
    I was choosing between the Q9c(supports Sprint Tv, where the original Q9 did not) and the Pearl and the final factor came down to size for me, just couldn't picture the Q hanging on my hip
    03-01-08 11:21 AM
    So apparently Windows Mobile phones like the Moto Q are about to get a new product- Skyfire mobile web browser. This free downloadable browser opens full websites and has a flash player. Now you can visit full websites on a Windows Mobile Phone.

There are also mobitv access websites that enable you to watch mobiTV for free!

So if the Moto Q (9, 9m, 9h, Global) can handle the free mobi access sites, then I think the Moto Q is the clear winner over the Pearl 8130. With the full browser and now FLASH, I can use a Moto Q to visit not only mobitv access sites (that have live tv players for channels like USA Mobile) but also the live tv player on great local-national television channel websites like CN8. Plus with Skyfire on a Moto Q, you can open YouTube.

Too bad I already bought the Pearl. This is only my 2nd cell phone and I wasn't ready to commit to a huge phone already, honestly. But now I am hungry for the Moto Q, and I will have to wait 2 years...

Check this out, I decided on the Pearl on January 25th of this year and Skyfire made its announcement 3 days later.

Last edited by abishai100; 03-04-08 at 04:43 AM. Reason: forgotten term
    03-04-08 04:40 AM
    I had a Moto Q from Verizon and that phone is a piece of junk. I went through 2 of them in less than a month. I would never get a Moto Q.
    03-06-08 08:21 AM
    that moto q global thingy looks cool
    03-06-08 08:22 AM
    I also had a Moto Q from VZW...What a piece of crap...Go for the BB...
    03-08-08 12:04 AM
    I had a Q too, it was not stable and I came to hate it quite quickly. I'd recommend the BB.
    03-09-08 09:12 AM
    I just made the switch from a Q (Q9m) from verizon to a Curve with T-mobile. The number hasn't ported yet sadly, but I'm anxiously awaiting that moment, but the Q9m is the worst phone EVER. I'm on the second one already because the first one crashed almost every other day (and twice I had to do hard resets, wiping all the memory), and I've had this new one for 4 days...and it's already crashed twice and required a hard reset again, once again wiping everything. Never EVER get a Q!

The stupid thing was, I had an 8130 Pearl and traded it for the Q because I wanted the qwerty keyboard and didn't want to pay for the data....stupid stupid stupid
    03-12-08 09:29 PM
    I just made the switch from a Q (Q9m) from verizon to a Curve with T-mobile. The number hasn't ported yet sadly, but I'm anxiously awaiting that moment, but the Q9m is the worst phone EVER. I'm on the second one already because the first one crashed almost every other day (and twice I had to do hard resets, wiping all the memory), and I've had this new one for 4 days...and it's already crashed twice and required a hard reset again, once again wiping everything. Never EVER get a Q!

The stupid thing was, I had an 8130 Pearl and traded it for the Q because I wanted the qwerty keyboard and didn't want to pay for the data....stupid stupid stupid
    never every buy a Q atleast from verizon
    03-13-08 11:12 AM
    never every buy a Q atleast from verizon
    Believe me, I've learned my lesson 100%! Next time I go down to Texas on vacation, I'm probably going to copy what my dad did with my old Samsung D807 when he got pissed at it....skipped it across the bay like you would a pebble! That's assuming I can wait that long...
    03-13-08 10:25 PM
    I had a Q for 6 months and 5,000 crashes, Junk. get a crack 8830!
    03-15-08 03:55 PM
    I had the q9m for about a week got a good deal from an indirect vzw agent. Decided to exchange for the 8130 and couldn't be happier!!! I have to softreset my BB maybe once per day and the battery lasts me pretty much all day. The Q9m had to be hard reset 2-4 times a day and the battery would last me about 80% of a full day on regular use without much web browsing
    03-24-08 01:33 AM
    I have tried the Youtube mobile and I get "The Protocol specified is not supported by the hanheld. Please try a different URL. WTF
    03-25-08 12:29 PM
    Sorry to chime in so late but had the Q for about 6 months and consistently had problems such as freezes, crashes and a very short battery life. I think the blackberry os is a much more stable system. I now have the 8130 and don't miss windows mobile in the least bit!
    03-26-08 03:48 PM
    My husband has a Verizon Motorola Q and has had no problems with it...he loves it. He really wanted the whole Windows deal. Secretly, though, I KNOW he knows my BB is way cooler.
    03-26-08 05:52 PM
    Hello all

I am a newbie obviously. I have used the treo's with previous Palm Zire 72's. Mostly windows or palm programs so I will be new to the BB theme.

I currently have a Moto Q. I have purchased a BB 8830 and am waiting on it being shipped to me. Ordered it via the net. I am updating my plan so the forums on plans and pricing is a great place to get even more information.

Back to the Q. So far with mine from Verizon I haven't had any problems. My gripe would be the fact that it takes time (seconds) to switch between apps. The battery hasn't been bad at all. Lasts at least 2 days with me on the phone, texting, email and web browsing. But remember that I shut down apps not in use to preserve battery and processor speed. Helps tremendously on the battery savings. But it is a hassle when you know you have to do it to save battery.

As far as it working correctly, the moto q has done a decent job. Not terrific, but lacks in the areas I need most for a business which is docs to go apps. Trying to modify these takes time to get used to and more time than needed simply because of the way data is input.

But overall I would suggest this phone to anyone wanting to text, check email and make phone calls. The media performs much slower than anticipated.

So, I trusted some friends who have bb and decided to switch.

I am looking forward to it after reading the posts, there is so much to learn and I will feel like a newbie for life.

Please keep up this great site, awesome, wish everyone would have support for their sites as much as BB does.

thanks for letting me post.

Signed a Newbie to BB 8830
    04-16-08 08:37 AM
    I loved my Moto Q. However, the battery life was really bad. With really light use, I had to recharge it as soon as I came home. If I went anywhere straight from work, I had to use the car charger just to keep it from dying.
    The trick to my Q was to keep emptying the IE cache. It was just as responsive as any smartphone I have tried to date.
    I also briefly had the MotoQ9h from ATT, that phone rocks. Fast at downloads, fast at driving through menus, decent battery life. Fit and finish is beyond any BlackBerry device yet. Sorry, but it's true. It's like they hired the interior guys that work for Lexus, Audi, etc. to work on the buttons and switchgear.
    I just thought it was a tad to wide for my liking. (medium hands)
    05-06-08 05:40 PM
    I left the Motorola Q 3 weeks ago for the 8330 Curve. I'm still getting everything configured on the Curve, and haven't replaced everything I used on the Q with its Curve equivalents (superiors?) yet. Many of you will be seeing my questions in the other forums soon if I can't work my way through all the replacements :-)

Here are my impressions so far:

1) Boot time: No contest. When I push the "on" button, the Curve actually comes on. Who'da guessed? I don't have to go get a cup of coffee before using my phone. At first I thought my curve was just in some kind of sleep or suspend mode, but even after a battery pull the thing comes on like an appliance should. Wow. It starts up faster than many dumb filp phones.

2) Battery life: Even less of a contest. The Curve lasts all day, with heavy data use. I basically run my website via my curve, so it's on and running data all day. Plus it gets push email and IMs all day. The Q lasted about 4 hours. I had chargers everywhere.

3) Corporate access: Exchange's pseudo-push email drains your battery as if somebody drilled a hole in it. BES/BIS only pages your phone if you actually have mail. Same email flow rate, vastly different approach. Also, it's pretty cool if you have BES+MDS running to actually have access to the inside of your company firewall. Goodbye, laptop. Farewell, IPSec/RAS. Now, if you're a consumer, BIS is pretty cool but I'm not sure it'd be worth the Blackberry Tax just for push email. BIS is extremely easy to administer, though. You just tell it your email address and password and it figures everything else out for you. No need to ask your ISP for its IMAP & POP3 servers, etc. And BIS saves battery just like BES push email does.

The only bad thing about BES is it gives corporate weenies control of a handheld you paid for. If your BES policies are too restrictive, none of the cool internet-accessing multimedia fluff will work. And they may spy on you, depending on configuration.

4) Software: Slight BB edge. The Java universe is huge but there's a lot of crap out there. It all runs on the BB, but some applets require you to jump through hoops to convert them & install them on the BB. The WinCE universe is smaller, full of roughly the same amount of crap, and had fewer free solutions for some of the things I'm looking for. Several of the apps I paid for on the Q are free on the BB. I haven't found anything I've had to pay for on the BB yet.

5) Desktop: Q (Activesync) wins. BB Desktop manager is more complicated and offers less access to the handset. Activesync lets me browse the handset like a file viewer and get into lots of trouble. Also, I can sync between 2 different computers with no trouble. BB Desktop manager forces me to turn off pieces of my corporate wireless access when I connect to my home PC & then turn them back on when I'm done.

6) Multimedia coolness: Untested. It's been all work since I bought the curve, and I haven't tried to find the equivalent to TCPMP (swiss-army-knife media player) on the Curve yet. TCPMP on the Q can play anything you can throw at it, receive streams over the internet, and even play youtube videos. I haven't tried any of that on the curve yet.

7) GPS: Draw. Same apps on both, except that the internal APIs for GPS are different on the CDMA 8330, so I have to wait for google & microsoft to update their free software. Otherwise the carriers put the same software on both. On the old Q I used a bluetooth GPS receiver that cost me 30 bucks, so having it internal is nice.

8) The Blackberry Tax: I wouldn't get a BB unless your employer pays for the extra 30 clams you have to shell out for BIS or BES access, or you get a good bundle like people have been talking about in the forums. While push email is cool, if you're a just consumer is it worth the extra dough just to get mail from your ISP pushed to your phone? Meh. For business, if you have exchange server and you set the Q up to poll manually, that may be all you need. Corporate IM works the same on both. I'll concede, though, that BB users really seem to go nuts for this so maybe I'm missing something.

If the boss man pays the BB tax, and they set up the BES+MDS for access to company resources inside the firewall, everything changes. The BB crushes all. The BB crushes my laptop. The BB replaces about $5,000 worth of hardware that I couldn't lug around unless I had a shopping cart.

9) Size & ergonomics: BB Wins. It's shorter, narrower, and somehow lighter than the Q. It's slightly thicker than the original Q but Sprint puts the fat battery on the Q9c so it loses. Since it's lighter, smaller in 2 directions, and curved at the sides, you don't notice the thickness. The trackball trounces the d-pad. The Q d-pad made my thumb sore after a short while. As for build quality, the BB's keys and trackball are creaky, wiggly things. Its plastic seams and the seemingly unnecessary "chunk" at the bottom where the mouthpiece/logo sit creak. The Q was built like a brick. It's funny because everyone ragged on the Q's reliability. It has the lowest scores and the highest return rate of any PDA in that category. Mine was fine mechanically, but had all of the usual daily WinCE crashes. I can't seem to crash the BB no matter what I do.

10) Voice: Tie. That really depends on your carrier's coverage in your particular neighborhood. Haven't tried Bluetooth on the BB yet.

11) Price: Tied for the BB & Q9 variants (except for the BB tax). Whopping victory for the original Q. Orig Q is only 30 bucks at Sprint. That's a steal. Add a cheap BT GPS and you're still way out in front.

I'll report back on all the multimedia toys when I get them installed.

--Qfg
    Last edited by Q-fugee; 05-29-08 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I forgot to add #9, 10 & 11.
    05-29-08 10:25 AM
    I sell Q's, and then I arrange for the returns a month later because they suck so bad. *snort*

Can't wait to be selling berry's though!
    05-29-08 01:50 PM
    Moto Q battery - FORGET IT!! It's pathetic and Moto should be ashamed of it!!!
    07-01-08 09:34 AM
    Yep, I am consistently astounded at my 8330's battery life. I mean astounded.

I've let it run for 2 days of heavy use with no recharge. Old Q lasted 4 hours max under the exact same load.

Since I've had the 8330 for more than a month now, I'm planning on posting a more detailed comparison here soon.

--Qfg
    07-01-08 09:39 AM
    My husband ended up trading his Q for a Curve after a couple months. While he didn't have problems, he quickly realized the BlackBerry could do more and was a better product. He loves his Curve and is kicking himself for not getting it sooner.

07-02-08 08:43 PM
    I'm with a majority of you, I never really had any problems, just headaches! Battery life was good, because I got the bigger battery. The thing I dispised was, you had to make your own ringtones,doing that for 3 hours, then losing them all due to an upgrade from Moto, bad!!!! Then to top it off the dang phone didnt work right, it took several tries from Verizon to get it all straightened out,after Moto said it wasnt thier fault. 3 days w/ out a phone ,means not much business. I will NEVER go back to anything else. LOVE my Berry!!! Best phone I'v ever owned!
    07-03-08 06:43 PM
    My husband ended up trading his Q for a Curve after a couple months. While he didn't have problems, he quickly realized the BlackBerry could do more and was a better product. He loves his Curve and is kicking himself for not getting it sooner.

Hands down, the Berry is the better way to go. The Q doesn't measure up and comes across as a poor compromise. The only good thing is that the data plan is not required on the Q (Verizon) where it is on our BB's.

My hubby hated his Q and although he had high expectations he stopped utilizing it and stated using his itouch instead. Also, he hates windows mobile so that has a lot to do with this.

I got my Curve and once he got his hands on it to play, he was in love. He received his Curve from Verizon yesterday and won't put it down, LOL.

My daughter has inherited the Q as a starter phone so it's not going to waste

Just my thoughts listening to the many gripes from my gadget loving hubby and his journey with the Q which never measured up to his needs. He too is kicking himself for keeping the Q for the last 18 months.
    02-10-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD