As far as a general consumer goes, nothing beats the amazingly easy way of downloading applications, install correctly in 3 or so seconds and the amazing input of the device + touchscreen. Navigation on the phone is ridiculously easy.

Seriously, the trackball on this thing makes me want to throw my curve against the wall. The only thing on this device is the keyboard, but even then it doesn't bother me since it has a dedicated search key to give me near instant web page loading.

When someone asks a question, I usually can answer it using this phone in about 10-15 seconds. Amazingly fast phone, and with imbedded youtube nothing beats it with great quality as watching anything you want to see at that time. GPS works perfect, syncing with my location and direction in map mode. It seriously makes my curve look incredibly ancient.

The phone isn't ugly, it looks completely different in person. Pictures on the internet definately don't do this phone justice. I guarantee most people who say it's ugly on the internet hasn't even seen it. Seriously, you're going to compare the appeal of the blackberry compared to this device? Lol, at least the screen is nearly 2 inches bigger on the outside, and the dedicated bottom buttons are just fine.

It's only been out for three months and Android software does many more things better than my other blackberries combined, and text//im on the phone beats out my blackberry in a heartbeat with threaded text messages.

It's the best browser I've ever used out of any phone. (Yes, even better than the iphone multitouch zoom). Very intuitive trackball+touchscreen interface with instant zoom and shortcuts once you get used to the phone make the iphones accident-touch prone browser look like nothing.

Videos convert nicely, hotswappable microsd card. Only cons to this phone are the too-flushed keyboard (just takes time, I use it just fine now) and the camera. I'm sure with the constant updating of android and future application developments come out in the marketplace the phone will improve dramatically. Imagine the 4.3-4.5 update announced and it's taking Google only 4-5 months to accomplish something like this on the G1.

And yes, I still use my Curve from time to time but wow, I can't wait for this platform to explode in the next few months (new update will bring about 10 new things to this phone) plus flash 10 coming out on it sometime in feb-march. Can't wait.

Just think... all this in the span of 3 months. Open source is gaining momentum, and this phone for it being fresh and for it to be completely and entirely stable is phenomenal. Most people who hate it hasn't even used one before, my friend said the same thing until he used mine and is now considering buying one after only having a curve for 2 months.
    Last edited by IronCurtain; 12-29-08 at 04:37 AM.
    12-29-08 04:30 AM
    Ok- glad you like ur G1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 09:05 AM
    Peace out!
    12-29-08 09:10 AM
    nobody cares
    12-29-08 09:12 AM
    Deuces!

12-29-08 09:12 AM
    Mattym- I couldn't agree more!!!!!

12-29-08 09:13 AM
    Lol, at all the saltiness on this board. I can't wait for more Android phones to hit the market. I figure by time my contract is up, in 2010, the T-Mobile 3G network will be a lot more robust and plenty of good Android phones should be out to chose from. Until then, I got a HTC Tilt to replace my Pearl. I'm so sick of the limited memory and very little customization that the Blackberry has.
    12-29-08 12:36 PM
    My Pearl is a running machine...
    12-29-08 12:40 PM
    Better you than me...DEUCES!!!
    12-29-08 12:44 PM
    Lol- don't think of it as saltiness.... Think of it as our way of saying "congratulations on your personal discovery, but why are you still posting on a blackberry forum where we LOVE our berries" as I said before: DEUCES :-)

12-29-08 12:52 PM
    I'm glad to hear the Android platform is doing well.

Crackberry users should take note, because our Java based software will eventually become outdated. Hopefully Blackberry will take a similar approach, or allow Android on Berry...

To OP: had any crashes yet?
    12-29-08 01:50 PM
    I just replaced my curve line with the G1 because i acquired one from a family member who works at google...i have to say im in love with android...not in love with the phone...i still love my bold more than my G1...
    12-29-08 02:16 PM
    As in running on low memory all the time. I think it would be better if mine wasn't the 8100
    Lol- don't think of it as saltiness.... Think of it as our way of saying "congratulations on your personal discovery, but why are you still posting on a blackberry forum where we LOVE our berries" as I said before: DEUCES :-)
    Because, I'm still a blackberry owner and this is the "other smartphone" section of the forum.
    12-29-08 11:50 PM
    Originally Posted by SevereDeceit

As in running on low memory all the time. I think it would be better if mine wasn't the 8100

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babytraci

Because, I'm still a blackberry owner and this is the "other smartphone" section of the forum.

Hilarious! I love this website!
    12-30-08 12:02 AM
    i find the battery life is pants compared to my curve, however, i too have both phones and find the g1 is great fun and the blackberry is my work phone.
    12-30-08 06:48 AM
    As far as a general consumer goes, nothing beats the amazingly easy way of downloading applications, install correctly in 3 or so seconds and the amazing input of the device + touchscreen. Navigation on the phone is ridiculously easy.

Seriously, the trackball on this thing makes me want to throw my curve against the wall. The only thing on this device is the keyboard, but even then it doesn't bother me since it has a dedicated search key to give me near instant web page loading.

When someone asks a question, I usually can answer it using this phone in about 10-15 seconds. Amazingly fast phone, and with imbedded youtube nothing beats it with great quality as watching anything you want to see at that time. GPS works perfect, syncing with my location and direction in map mode. It seriously makes my curve look incredibly ancient.

The phone isn't ugly, it looks completely different in person. Pictures on the internet definately don't do this phone justice. I guarantee most people who say it's ugly on the internet hasn't even seen it. Seriously, you're going to compare the appeal of the blackberry compared to this device? Lol, at least the screen is nearly 2 inches bigger on the outside, and the dedicated bottom buttons are just fine.

It's only been out for three months and Android software does many more things better than my other blackberries combined, and text//im on the phone beats out my blackberry in a heartbeat with threaded text messages.

It's the best browser I've ever used out of any phone. (Yes, even better than the iphone multitouch zoom). Very intuitive trackball+touchscreen interface with instant zoom and shortcuts once you get used to the phone make the iphones accident-touch prone browser look like nothing.

Videos convert nicely, hotswappable microsd card. Only cons to this phone are the too-flushed keyboard (just takes time, I use it just fine now) and the camera. I'm sure with the constant updating of android and future application developments come out in the marketplace the phone will improve dramatically. Imagine the 4.3-4.5 update announced and it's taking Google only 4-5 months to accomplish something like this on the G1.

And yes, I still use my Curve from time to time but wow, I can't wait for this platform to explode in the next few months (new update will bring about 10 new things to this phone) plus flash 10 coming out on it sometime in feb-march. Can't wait.

Just think... all this in the span of 3 months. Open source is gaining momentum, and this phone for it being fresh and for it to be completely and entirely stable is phenomenal. Most people who hate it hasn't even used one before, my friend said the same thing until he used mine and is now considering buying one after only having a curve for 2 months.
    Ok, I respect the fact that you decided to try out the G1. However, I gotta say that I still love my Berry. With that said, I have been considering buying a G1(just to try out and use on certain days, I'll always be a Berry fanatic). I heard the G1 browser made the iphone look like a Sidekick and I also love the idea of new apps constantly coming out. You're right though- I always thought the G1 to be ugly as ****. But you're saying its a lot more sleek in person? I will prob get one for now and just order the Berry 8900 as well in February......

12-30-08 07:47 AM

LOL!!! You got me!

12-30-08 11:08 AM
    Ok, I respect the fact that you decided to try out the G1. However, I gotta say that I still love my Berry. With that said, I have been considering buying a G1(just to try out and use on certain days, I'll always be a Berry fanatic). I heard the G1 browser made the iphone look like a Sidekick and I also love the idea of new apps constantly coming out. You're right though- I always thought the G1 to be ugly as ****. But you're saying its a lot more sleek in person? I will prob get one for now and just order the Berry 8900 as well in February......

I dont think you should get it "just to try out". If you want to do that, just play with one at a t-mobile store. The device is still clunky to me and you might regret it... I think the phone is worth getting if you want to experience android though...
    12-30-08 01:06 PM
    i wap craving a berry so much then my brother showed me the light of android with the neo freerunner now i must have open or nothing i'm even getting tired of windows now cause of him and showing of the wonders of open source you won't understand till you use it first hand so till then love your berry

12-31-08 02:19 PM
    i wap craving a berry so much then my brother showed me the light of android with the neo freerunner now i must have open or nothing i'm even getting tired of windows now cause of him and showing of the wonders of open source you won't understand till you use it first hand so till then love your berry

I've used many open source software and run linux, but I fail to the association of how open source makes it better? Its not like if you are experiencing, lets just say a signal issue with your android phone that you are going to rewrite the code yourself and fix it.

Btw, does your open source android phone not have the ability for punctuation? It's difficult to understand what you are saying when its just one long run on sentance.
    12-31-08 04:28 PM
    I used the g1 and it was a decent phone. Could not compare to my Bold though. I feel bad for google employees just getting a g1 in lieu of their Christmas bonus that totally sucks.......miight have eased the pain if they gave them BlackBerry's
    12-31-08 05:00 PM
    Glade u like ur g1 but really bb is better!!!!

01-02-09 05:57 PM

Admittedly, if I wasn't a crackberryhead, I'd be rocking a G1. However I think that the association with "open" and "better" is shaky. I run linux on 3 of 5 computers I use and can tell you while I love open software, it's not an automatic win. Sometimes, and by sometimes I mean frequently, so called open software is inferior to the "closed" software competitor. Howver, I do like the freedom it allows and the fact if I don't like something, I can fiz it myself.

Nevertheless, the G1 is a neat little phone and I think over the next few months/quarters, we'll be seeing some really cool innovations with it that will benefit both Android users and the rest of us (simply by the competition it causes).

In closing, don't be a fool, stay in school.

01-02-09 06:25 PM
    Yeah? Well the G1 will never not be ugly.
    01-02-09 06:32 PM
    I, for one, welcome our new android overlords.
    01-02-09 08:36 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD