I have a BlackBerry PlayBook and am in LOVE with the device. The Bridge Browsing experience is awesome, as is Flash and the games that I have downloaded are fun. I can't complain about much with the PB. BUT

Now my parent want tablets. I can't afford to get them both PlayBooks (the price is a little steep for me). So I was wondering what other tablets would be good for my parents?

They need something that can play videos online (dad needs his pr0n) so they must have Flash capabilities, and can Video Chat via Skype (front facing camera is a must). They only need WiFi connection. And it would be nice if they could download some fun games (basic... NES is too advanced for them) and books. A 7" screen would be perfect for them so that they don't think I'm skimping out on them and since it's the perfect mix of portability and usability.

They don't need bluetooth, they don't need tethering or HDMI output, they don't need GPS or compass... They don't need any of the extra bells and whistles. I also don't even think they need HD TV. Maybe 480p resolution would be fine.

I'd like to spend around $200- $250 per tablet.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking now to see what I can find.
    07-04-11 05:46 PM
    Get them each a NOOK Color and root them. They run Android 3.0. and are $250 ea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-11 06:33 PM
    Nice find, but unfortunately it doesn't have a camera... :-( That's the main reason they want a tablet is to video chat with their friends.
    07-04-11 06:58 PM
    Nice find, but unfortunately it doesn't have a camera... :-( That's the main reason they want a tablet is to video chat with their friends.
    With such a limited budget, I think you can only go with one of those Chinese Android tablets.

The Teclast T760 seems like a descent choice:
    http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22397

But I suggest you bring the discussion else where as this is a PlayBook specific forum.
    Last edited by jsp5000; 07-04-11 at 07:22 PM.
    07-04-11 07:11 PM
    Nice find I also found this one. The Archos 70 Internet Tablet

ARCHOS

And have found it cheaper at other sites... It has some things that I don't think they need or will ever use, but seems to include everything they need.
    07-04-11 07:38 PM
    archos might be your best bet but they are kinda underpowered. You have very limited choices given what you want and your price. You will need atleast a tegra 2 running HC 3.1 with adobe 10.3. That will get you by nicely
    07-04-11 07:57 PM
    If you are slightly flexible on the price,say $300 and willing to wait a few more days you can get a playbook. Given you like the playbook that would be ideal.
    The 32gb is already selling at a bit more that $400 on ebay so I'm sure in a fewdays the 16gb will sell for a price in your range.
    I just went to best buy today and looking at the other tablets out there the playbook really seemed very out dated and unfinished. I was there for quite some time and people seemed to gravitate towards the pb the least, and given the very slow or almost useless updates,I'm sure there will be a whole lott of people selling of there pb's which you can get on the cheap.
    07-04-11 08:29 PM
    asus transformer or an htc flyer does what you need and won't be outdated in 6 months like the archos but you can't beat the archos on pricing
    07-04-11 09:45 PM
    yeah transformer is the best choice IMO but its 400 so you can find a PB for that price if you wanted
    07-04-11 09:55 PM
    paid 349 plus 6.95 shipping for transformer, if they want skype and 7" seems like archos or flyer wifi version would be the best choices. Flyer prices are high, PB is a better bet but no skype yet.
    07-04-11 10:02 PM
    07-05-11 10:24 AM
    Thanks. :-D You guys have some awesome ideas! I'll be checking these all out and seeing which is best for my parents needs.
    07-05-11 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD