iPhone SDK Agreement Prohibits "Real-Time Route Guidance" and Saving Lives

If this is true, the GPS on the iphone will be so limited, why have the GPS? The iphone is a device that could replace 95% of in vehicle navigation systems. I bet they have set up an agreement with Garmin or telenav like all of the ones out their currently.
    06-11-08 10:33 AM
    I bet it's Telenav
    06-11-08 10:44 AM
    I wonder how people are going to feel about it though. On BB, many people would rather use a free program like Nav4All or amazeGPS, instead of a monthly pay service like telenav. Especially with something like the iphone that could easily store maps in a 8gig or 16gig device
    06-11-08 10:54 AM
    Another thought comes to mind, maybe devs could find a loophole by using some insignifigant delay that would satisfy the 'no real time' requirement, but I'm no lawyer and don't really want to get into all that lol

But it wouldn't surprise me if this was to boost Telenav monthly subscriptions.
    06-11-08 11:05 AM
    I wouldn't put faith in that "article" until it is confirmed.

EDIT: I have done some more reading and I have come to find that this doesn't seem as bad as Gizmodo is making it. The agreement they quoted is word for word the Google Maps API terms.

This most likely means that third party developers are not allowed to make route guidance programs that utilize Google Maps for the mapping/route info. Instead, they will need to create their own app from the ground up to do so, kind of like the TomTom app that is rumored to be coming out.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-11-08 at 12:27 PM.
    06-11-08 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD