What would it be!??

Hello, its been a while since I've been on this site but I'm 2 years into my storm 9530 and still rock'n it out like no other. I have a choice to make, its time, time for another phone and I want peoples help on this before I make a mistake. Everyone here has always been of great help before.

The story (short but bearable) - like most big red customers I'm eligible for the "free" upgrade to a new phone of my choice provided by Verizon. I love my S1, aside from the semi-frequent sluggishness of running multiple apps at once, no wifi, limited app selection and the obvious leap in technologies that all the new smartphones have. I absolutely love the surepress screen, that was one of many features that sold me on the 95xxs. I know a lot of people don't like it but I have big thumbs, and to hover over a key and execute by pressing the screen is big deal for me. This is the first smartphone I've every owned, first texting phone in fact so I mostly use the horizontal keyboard for typing emails, sms, mms ect.

I've prematurely pre-ordered a HTC Incredible, ship date "scheduled" for 7/12, the bill will hit my account on the 13th so I can still cancel the order and change my mind. I've read all about the grounding issues with the HTC, some build quality issues and quirks here and there, some to be expected but some unfortunately cannot simply be fixed with a software update, hardware failure = new phone, visits to Verizon ect. I've also read that Verizon is announcing 2 new Droid phones on the 23rd, and I also see here that RIM may or may not be coming out with a S3 slider/non-slider.

SO - what shall I do? I want a new phone, its time and the simple fact that it will not cost me a dime (I have a $100 credit on my account to cover the smartphone difference).

Things I use on my current phone and WANT to use on my next (in order of importance) -

Navigation - Google Maps is my primary NAV app and I love it
    Media - *Music*Pictures*Videos - I don't own a digi camera or MP3 player since my storm does all of that for me, at a slightly lower quality
    Emails, Communications - I primarily use my phone to stay in contact with all my family spread across the U.S. vs. a computer email client.
    UP-TO-DATE Accurate Weather info - Primary mode of transportation is a motorcycle, so I have to dodge storms left and right, weather helps tremendously.
    Productivity - I work in graphic arts and my work demands programs that can at least view a variety of different files types. This may fall under apps but some phones seem to accept better apps for this task.
    Browsing - I use Opera Mini, I love the option of getting on the net (fast I mind you) whenever I'm not around a PC.
    Games - I honestly could do without, I would love a phone that could handle a large game, just because it can, so I know it wont bog down on other less graphically challenged tasks.

Hardware - I love the build quality of my storm, I know motorola makes decent phones, I'm not sure of HTC, only can read things online.
    Moving Parts - I can live without, a good solid phone would be my 1st choice, primary reason I didn't jump on board with the Droid ( although if BB holds there quality and the S3 does have a slide out keyboard I may be able to adapt )

I know this is a lot, and yes it is my decision but I know many people out there have experienced many many other high performing phones that I have only read about. I am staying with Verizon, so no EVOs or iphones please, I just don't like them and At&t doesn't agree to my stomach - I prefer signal thank you very much and V has NEVER failed me.

I am still awaiting what Verizon has to say on the 23rd about the 2 motorola phones coming out - basically its this, stick with my choice, HTC, wait for one of the new Droids, or wait longer for what "may" be a Storm 3 - I've been patient long enought.

Thank you very much in advance and taking time to read this book of decision!
    06-18-10 02:06 PM
    As a BB devotee the 9650 makes me drool. Tempting enough that buying and unlocking is being considered. I need a hard working device with a real keyboard. There is not another maker tempting me away from BB today. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 04:08 PM
    Duplicate post - continue discussion in BlackBerry Discussion (http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/if-y...-phone-485194/)
    06-18-10 04:17 PM
    Duplicate post - continue discussion in BlackBerry Discussion (http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/if-y...-phone-485194/)
    Yes I am sorry about that, I posted there first before I noticed this sub directory - assumed this would be a more relevant area for discussion. I do apologize
    06-19-10 06:10 AM
    Get the Droid 2. It seems like it is going to be a great device.
    06-21-10 09:36 AM
    I would say its close. if you use BBM to communicate alot with people stick with the storm. If not them gtalk for the Inc is great. there isnt 1 thing in your description of what you are looking for that either deivce wont do well

the nav on the Inc is amazing really. it will blow google maps out of the water on the storm
    06-23-10 05:22 PM
    I would say its close. if you use BBM to communicate alot with people stick with the storm. If not them gtalk for the Inc is great. there isnt 1 thing in your description of what you are looking for that either deivce wont do well

the nav on the Inc is amazing really. it will blow google maps out of the water on the storm
    Right on, yeah of every feature (aside from SMS) on my storm I use google maps the most. The new voice commands are very refreshing after dealing with BBs "voice recongnition". I've always wanted turn-by-turn, and from what I can see the INC has that, well honestly any droid based phone these days has it. I wish BB had a S3 right now, or whatever they would call it.

I hear a lot about the X, the Droid 2 and the problems that "may" exist on the INC - assuming everything goes well on the shipping end I plan to "test drive" the INC, if it fits me I'll stick with it, if not I'll order an X or D2.

So many phones coming out at once, hard choice
    06-23-10 06:42 PM

Right on, yeah of every feature (aside from SMS) on my storm I use google maps the most. The new voice commands are very refreshing after dealing with BBs "voice recongnition". I've always wanted turn-by-turn, and from what I can see the INC has that, well honestly any droid based phone these days has it. I wish BB had a S3 right now, or whatever they would call it.

I hear a lot about the X, the Droid 2 and the problems that "may" exist on the INC - assuming everything goes well on the shipping end I plan to "test drive" the INC, if it fits me I'll stick with it, if not I'll order an X or D2.

So many phones coming out at once, hard choice

And I don't use BBM, even though I do love the program and it works great I don't have to many friends that have a BB, aside from my girlfriend.
    06-23-10 06:45 PM
    Yeah if your still prone to blackberry I would suggest the bold 9650
    06-29-10 02:05 PM
    I have owned a lot of the smart phones so here is my take:

Android:

If I were to get a Android device at this time it would be the droid X. Motorola has some of the best receiving phones I have ever used. Motorola will often pull in a signal when other phones won't. I can't say this about HTC as they seem to have horrible reception.

The droid 2 to me is a waste! The droid 2 is going to take what was a good phone (Droid) and ruin it with a locked boot loader that cannot be cracked and kill the original Droid image. If you are at all interested in a phone which has a community around it stay far away from the Droid 2.

The Droid X is a phone that also has a locked boot loader. So the community that is into doing any kind of hacking to that phone may never get anywhere with the X.

The devour is being pulled stay away. The Ally is a half baked lower end device. The ally gets decent reviews for what it is but lower on the smart phone totem pole.

Blackberry:

The new Bold looks like a nice phone. I moved away from the BB market a short while back because I was tired of hoping and waiting. Rim makes good devices, what you see is what you get with BB, your choice!

Palm:

The best device I have ever owned is the Pre Plus on Verizon. WebOS is so smooth for lack of a better word. I had issues with some dropped calls with the Pre and had to give it up. Was told it was my area so may not be a problem for you. I just loved the Pre.

WinMo devices:

Plain out suck! Windows mobile is horrible! Has a nice community build around ROM development though. Some people like WinMo, I don't. But this may be my problem as I have owned so many phones I compare them all by nature.

__________________________________________________ __________________

If you get into the hacking/size of community around a phone at all, the Samsung Fascinate should be ut before to long. This will be an Android phone that will not be locked by any means and will sport a 4.0 inch display and will run a 1GHZ CPU. Very nice phone with a wonderful display!

There you have it! Everything you want to do should be available on any platform. If you use BBM a lot then you need a BB. If you are not interested in ROM development or the community in general then much of what I said does not apply.
    07-20-10 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD