I've been saying for years how awful WINMO is. Even with the awesome specs this device has, it cannot be saved from the failure that is WINMO. I really wish we could purchase the device of our choice and then download the OS of our choice directly onto it.

HTC Touch HD2 Review: A Tragedy - Htc touch hd2 review - Gizmodo
    11-09-09 02:48 PM
    I really wish we could purchase the device of our choice and then download the OS of our choice directly onto it.

How would that work though... You would still need the drivers based on the OS and the hardware...
    11-09-09 04:13 PM
    That review is horrible btw...

He uses a bunch of fancy words to sound smart, but doesn't actually say anything much more than repeating "it's still WM". He didn't actually review anything or say anything specific about the OS or the UI....

I would take it for less than a grain of salt.
    11-09-09 04:15 PM
    How would that work though... You would still need the drivers based on the OS and the hardware...
    Oh I realize that it would be nearly impossible.
    11-09-09 06:34 PM
    That was very hard to read through. I am going to take note of the reviewers name so I can avoid any of his future reviews.
    11-10-09 12:05 AM
    That review is horrible btw...

He uses a bunch of fancy words to sound smart, but doesn't actually say anything much more than repeating "it's still WM".
    He didn't actually review anything or say anything specific about the OS or the UI....

I would take it for less than a grain of salt.
    LMAO i was just about to say the same thing till i read your post. Funny enough he complains about everything that he heard were the problems with WM but couldn't those same faults with the HD lol. It reasons like these why WM needs to just change their name to a different OS because is really not bad.
    That was very hard to read through. I am going to take note of the reviewers name so I can avoid any of his future reviews.
    Lol absolutely agree. I thought to myself after reading the title, finally i'm going to see some limitations and faults of the HD2 and well you can tell that he liked the phone but because its WM he couldn't publicly say so
    11-10-09 10:54 AM
    Looks like I'm headed back to WM land, lol. Sorta unhappy with the Tour in some minor ways... Sprint has no other bb options (8530 isn't released yet, no confirmed release, and I would be sacrificing the screen res and camera).

So probably gonna swap my Tour for the TP2.

Also unhappy with this whole opengl transition fiasco... It'll be better once the standard is out and the devices follow it accordingly, but currently it's a bit of a mess.
    11-11-09 04:28 PM
    Looks like I'm headed back to WM land, lol. Sorta unhappy with the Tour in some minor ways... Sprint has no other bb options (8530 isn't released yet, no confirmed release, and I would be sacrificing the screen res and camera).

So probably gonna swap my Tour for the TP2.

Also unhappy with this whole opengl transition fiasco... It'll be better once the standard is out and the devices follow it accordingly, but currently it's a bit of a mess.

You are a phonoholic man you need rehab. I'm the same way though lol, thats why i just got both the Tour and the TP2 from jump, best of both worlds. Well atleast you are just in time, since the unlocker not too long ago came out for the TP2. Chefs are still cooking but still have some bugs to work out in their roms.
    11-11-09 10:23 PM
    Also considering the Pre. That battery life and keyboard is really turning me away though...

TP2 Advantages:
    -WM is a known for me
    -Much larger screen
    -Better keyboard
    -More 3rd party support for sure
    -More customizable

Pre Advantages:
    -Better multitasking
    -Better browser
    -Better UI, but not as customizable as WM
    -Multiple chat inbox integration (IM, sms, etc)
    -Some nice features like the context search from anywhere in the OS

Only other mark against the TP2 is it's expensive as **** (pretty standard for HTC...).

Having a tough call deciding...
    Last edited by papped; 11-12-09 at 12:34 PM.
    11-12-09 12:29 PM
    Went with the pre.

Tried out the Hero, liked it a lot (nice screen and form factor), but no physical keyboard... UI is a bit slower than the Pre. The UI sure works a lot like SPB Mobile Shell 3.5...

Tried out the Moment, liked it less than the Pre. The keyboard sucks imo, all the keys seem like they are in the wrong spots, tons of typos... I'd take the hero over the Moment.

Pre is pretty slick so far, need to get familiar though.
    11-12-09 04:26 PM
    Went with the pre.

Tried out the Hero, liked it a lot (nice screen and form factor), but no physical keyboard... UI is a bit slower than the Pre. The UI sure works a lot like SPB Mobile Shell 3.5...

Tried out the Moment, liked it less than the Pre. The keyboard sucks imo, all the keys seem like they are in the wrong spots, tons of typos... I'd take the hero over the Moment.

Pre is pretty slick so far, need to get familiar though.
    Sprint was offering to give me the Pre due to switching out the Tour so many freaking times. I was tempted, but .. I just couldn't do it. So I had them order me yet another Tour instead.

How's the Pre coming along??
    11-12-09 06:15 PM
    Glad I switched so far, but it's still too early to tell. I know all too well how long it takes to discover all the quirks of a phone. Keyboard isn't that bad really. It's not on par with the Tour or Curve, but I don't typo much and it's definitely better than the Samsung Moment...

The battery life sucks though, anyone will tell you that...
    11-12-09 06:24 PM
    Do you see yourself going back to Tour land, like do you miss it??? lol
    11-12-09 06:34 PM
    I think I will miss push for multiple apps and the keyboard so far.

The one major thing I liked about BB is I can log in to aim + push email on multiple accounts + push facebook + push ebay (once it releases) without really draining the battery. All of that pulling on any other phone murders the battery....

But that said, the browser on the pre murders the BB. The text messaging is really well done and integrates with multiple IM clients into one inbox. Multitasking is far better than BB (up to 27 cards).

The universal search is very nice:

The Pre supports multiple EAS accounts, so techinically you can get push on multiple email accounts. Not as easy to setup multiple EAS compared to BIS though...

So far the network speed is quite good. I didn't have any problems downloading the 80mb needed for the OTA webos update over EVDO. Took less than 20 minutes and no disconnect issues (don't know how long exactly because I let it go while I wasn't watching).
    Last edited by papped; 11-12-09 at 06:49 PM.
    11-12-09 06:44 PM
    What is this "push, push, push" of which you speak???
    11-12-09 06:50 PM
    Most phones use data polling. They constantly ask the server what's new for anything (IM chat, facebook notifications, email, etc). This kills the battery since they keep having to open network connections and find out what's new at a certain interval.

Blackberries support push for a lot of apps. The server tells the phone when something is new, uses a lot less battery. Not to mention blackberry data is compressed, so it transfers less data.
    11-12-09 06:52 PM
    OMG Papped, is that a pre i see lol you are a brave man. Samsung Moment you have entered in territories i wouldn't dare j/k. The pre isn't bad its just the hardware thats horrible and yeah battery life is be gonna **** for you, i'm surprised you can type on the keyboard. The OS i love but the hardware they need to overhaul before i even consider going back to Palm. The TP2 you should be able to get for $199 from Sprint not sure how much you got the pre for though as they are going dirt cheap nowadays.
    Last edited by championart; 11-12-09 at 11:23 PM.
    11-12-09 11:20 PM
    yeah I actually type ok surprisingly... The hardware does feel a bit cheap, but the screen is great and really liking the os and software so far.

Pondering the seidio 2600mah battery to fix the battery life issue. Increased size is acceptable since the device is pretty small to begin with.
    Last edited by papped; 11-13-09 at 01:49 PM.
    11-13-09 12:31 AM
    I've been saying for years how awful WINMO is. Even with the awesome specs this device has, it cannot be saved from the failure that is WINMO. I really wish we could purchase the device of our choice and then download the OS of our choice directly onto it.

I would advise that you check out the phone yourself. Reviewers have their own opinions, but you may not share them. Also, reviewers may have their own agenda. To be on the safe side, see for yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD