I've heard the apps available for the g1 is better than the apps available for the iphone because anyone can make and download apps easily for free making the android market much more flexible, open and user friendly compared to the iphone which is owned by a huge company (apple) and I've also heard the iphone sucks for texting, emailing etc compared to the g1 which actually has a keyboard.

What do you think is better?

The g1 or the iphone?
    07-01-09 01:57 PM
    The G1 for the exact reasons you stated. Android is so much more open-ended and versatile than the iphone os. Plus you'll have 3g for the G1 with t-mobile's network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 05:41 AM
    I've used both phones, and I kinda like the Iphone interface better, but the G1 does have a keyboard and some cool features.

I would play around with both phones before making a purchase, and choose whichever you like better, or whichever is easier to use, and more compatible with you.
    07-06-09 03:30 AM
    iPhone (any iPhone be it 1st gen, 3G, 3GS) is way better by far.

I know the differences between apps for the G1 and the iPhone and I don't think it necessarily makes the apps for them better.
    Also, the G1's keyboard sucks and for me, out of any phone, I can type faster on the iPhone. Overall I think the iPhone is the better phone.
    07-06-09 03:55 AM
    IMHO , open ended app development doesn't necessarily translates to more and better apps.
    Look at the win mo phones, in that platform, there are so many "mines" in installing new apps that could lead you to crash your phone's system and force you to do a reflash.
    07-20-09 01:23 PM
    Do you require a hardware keyboard? Then get the G1.

Otherwise I'd just get the iphone. Even if the apps *were* better on the g1 (which I really dunno if that's true...), the iphone has way, way more dev support.
    07-20-09 02:22 PM
    Agree with papped up there.
    There's a reason why so many people are using the Iphone. It's proven to be good.
    07-24-09 10:36 PM
    You can get a G1 cheap..just get it and try it out.

Look at videos on youtube.
    07-26-09 05:53 PM
    Iphones are fantastic for bursting into flames and burning customers......get the g1. You can actually change the memory and battery for it without having to go without the phone from apple

Plus the pretentious assholes who own macs make me sick

07-26-09 11:38 PM
    Iphones are fantastic for bursting into flames and burning customers......get the g1. You can actually change the memory and battery for it without having to go without the phone from apple

Plus the pretentious assholes who own macs make me sick

Mac owners with a mac only mindset make me sick too, but that wouldnt make me pick the g1 over the iphone... g1 is very ugly, and though it's open there is much less applications for it, iphone is better at web browsing, and multitouch is Excellently implemented in the iphone, even with the multitouch hack for the g1, it works TERRIBLe compared to the iphone... and i have heard of only one iphone bursting into flames... and it wasnt the phone, it was the charger...

plus, jailbreaking the iphone makes applications equally open to everyone for making distributing and downloading...
    07-30-09 02:12 AM
    Right off the back you should of already knew the iPhone is the way to go.
    08-12-09 08:16 AM
    The MT3G on TMO is a much better experience than the Iphone......My wife purchased it a week ago and loves it....fantastic device and much better experience......unless your ok with not multi tasking.....
    08-12-09 08:36 AM
    ive had the iphone since it first came out and not once had a problem with it and to this day the battery still lasts a long time and i love the texting. I just got the bold so lets see how that goes
    08-20-09 11:45 AM
    google, iphone is a joke
    08-20-09 11:49 AM
    If you need the hardware keyboard the iphone shouldn't even be an option.

If not, I'd go for the iphone.

My mark against the G1 is that it won't be getting future OS updates, even compared to other android phones.
    08-20-09 01:21 PM
    Iphone is useless.. i prefer an ipod
    08-20-09 01:24 PM
    Speaking as one of those "pretentious A-H Mac owners" (labeling people soley on their consumer platform of choice is SO yesterday - or didn't somebody get the memo?) I would suggest trying both phones before committing.

As other posters have mentioned, open-source isn't necessarily "better". The fact Apple reviews and tests the various apps built for the iPhone is in keeping with it's attempt to maintain a good user experience for owners.

The Android comes with a dedicated keypad, which is the preffered method for typing for a lot of people. How GOOD of a keypad it is, if you'd rather have a touchscreen - those are answers only you can supply.

I would also examine the voice and data plans within your budget, between the two carriers - each will vary slightly, one may be VERY attractive to you over the other.

Reliability. The biggie.
    Having a smartphone doesn't do you a lot of good, if the thing keeps dropping calls, has terrible internet access, etc. And again - this will depend entirely on where you will mostly be using the device. Maybe one carrier has it all over the other for quality of reception. Maybe both are equally matched.

In the end, and especially in the field of mobile communications "try before you buy" is something you should repeat to yourself often like a mantra.
    And understand - one cell phone can offer completely different network qualitys than another one, even on the same carrier in the same location. This is why when testing a carrier, you should be (or getting advice from people) using the same phone unit you're interested in.

Lastly, and only if you're really into "tech-specs" - there are quite a few differences between what the two devices have for hardware setups besides the method of input. Camera quality, memory expansion, do you mind a sealed battery, and so on - probably wouldn't hurt to do a side-by-side on those features which might be important to you.

Good luck, hope you find the phone that fits your life best!
    08-20-09 11:48 PM
    LOL @ "A-H Mac owners"! That label only refers to those who present themself to be an A-H(i.e. being condescending towards those who don't own a Mac), IMO. To each their own.

As for G1 or IPhone, I will say to knock the G1 out of the equation. Not necessarily saying to go with an IPhone but go with a different choice for an Android device. I went to my Curve 8900 from a G1 for several reasons...

-The G1 has **** poor battery life which can be improved with third party software after you gain root access to the device. There are extended batteries available
    -The G1 cannot load applications to the MicroSD card which means it's only a matter of time before all the device's internal memory is occupied although this can be circumvented with third party software(once again, after gaining root access)
    -The MicroSD card slot is in an awkward position on the left side of the chin
    -Applications cannot be closed(unless you download third party task managers)!
    -There is no 3.5mm headset jack

I can go on but you get the point.

Admittedly, I'm not crazy about Apple or their insistence of using their products their way and their way only as well as not making devices with removable batteries and expandable memory. That all being said, I cannot recommend the G1 over the IPhone because there are just so many things wrong with it. Although I haven't tried it extensively, I would say go with the MyTouch 3G for an Android device because some of the FAIL from the G1 was corrected.
    08-28-09 03:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD