I'm a 27 y.o. guy (dad has just departed a couple of weeks ago after 8 years of fightin with cancer): I'm thinkin of buyin my mum a Motorola Q8 as one of the ways to get my mum's spirit back up.

See, my mum is a 58 year old retiree, she's a big fan of TXTing as it is her primary way to stay in touch with her friends.

My arguments for planning to get a Motorola Q8 for my mum are:

1. I think mum's daily heavy TXTing experience could benefit from a qwerty equipped handheld.

2. Tried to get mum to try my BB once, she was bewildered. Conclusion : (with all do respect) the BB is just too overwhelming for her dated, 1980's understanding of technology. Mum couldn't even look up her RAZR's call history to tell who's calls she had missed. Her standard procedure for handling missed calls is to call me in the middle of my office hours and say, "did u just call me?". Tried to explain over and over again, but so far no improvement has been achieved.

3. The Moto Q8 comes with winmo 6 which supposedly, has an interface that is close to that of my mum's laptop. I think winmo's interface would be rather familiar for her, and thus, will make it easier for my mum to understand.

4. Moto Q8 is currently being offered at a great bargain price in my area.

So, with all that's been said, what's the verdict, guys?
    Will the MotoQ8 actually enchance my mum's TXTing experience and become a gadget that she'd actually enjoy using?
    Or will it just be a source of headache for her?

Any welp will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Fun-Dee
    06-22-09 02:08 PM
    I dunno about WM being easy to use if the BB interface is confusing...

Sounds like a sidekick would be better.
    06-22-09 02:27 PM
    Thx for the info Papped. But, unfortunately, I live in Indonesia and so far I haven't seen any company that offers the sidekick here. Yes, you're right, that phone would be the best choice for my mum.
    For added information, here in Indonesia, the current market price for used imported 83xx curve is around $ 300, while a used 88xx is slightly higher than that around the $ 350 mark. A brand new Bold will set u back at around $ 800 while an I phone 3G is priced at about $1000. And those are all in US$. Now a brand spankin new MotoQ8 (basically a motoQ classic with winmo6) is offered at $160. For comparison, the minimum monthly wage here is $85. That is why, I considered the Q.
    Any insightful inputs are welcome.
    06-22-09 03:17 PM
    What about the E71? E72 is gonna be better but it's not out quite yet and more expensive.

Might be able to get it cheaper with deals, but about $240 here.

Nokia E71 Unlocked GSM PDA World 3G Cell Phone - eBay (item 250448154075 end time Jun-22-09 15:56:41 PDT)
    06-22-09 04:00 PM
    I think I'll look out for those nokias. Have a personal disrespect for the s 60 though do to an unpleasant experience I've had with an N81. But I'm gonna set my prejudices aside and try to check out those 2 nokias us suggested.
    But, at around $250, I might just buy my mum a grey market curve and try my best to educate her..
    Thx mate
    06-23-09 04:34 AM
    Yeah BB UI isn't a very steep learning curve. Once you get used to it, it's very quick.

Supposedly threaded sms is coming in OS 5 also, which will be great. Install something like QSMS and "q" button composes a sms, very easy.
    06-23-09 12:13 PM
    Ure right, why didn't I think of the qsms app?

I'm checkin out ur site at the moment
    06-23-09 12:32 PM
    Your site rocks! Lots and lots of useful info ; especially the links to quality free stuff. I'm downloading amaze GPS at the moment. Can't wait to try its' point to point nav when I go to work tomorrow mornin.
    Thanks for the great site.

Update concerning the moto Q8: today the carrier offered me a six month payment plan for the Q8, at $25 a month. That is just too good an offer for me to not consider. For the sake of comparison, $25 will get me a dinner for two at a fancy restaurant. So the 6 six month plan is a very tempting proposition for me.

I'll keep u posted mate.
    06-23-09 01:10 PM
    Sounds good.
    06-23-09 01:23 PM
    From a past Moto Q9c user, the device was horrible. Crapped out on me and I was told to reset the device, because it was lagging terribly, even though it was showing no apps open and memory being completely free. I'd do a wipe and the problem just came back even faster than before.

I found several others with this problem as well. A buddy of mine had the earlier Moto Q and had similar problems, in addition to a few others. He moved to a Vue with ATT, and I'm on my Bold now.
    06-27-09 07:55 PM
    Thanks for the valuable input gtdriver. I'll be goin to the carrier's shop on tuesday (payday). So these kinda last minute input is greatly appreciated.
    plus, I'm a benz500 driver, its always nice to talk to fellow carguys.
    Cheers
    Fun-dee
    06-27-09 08:12 PM
    To gt500driver :

Do you think the constant crashing will still happen if my mum will only be using it for txt messaging and phone calls?
    Because that's all my mum does.
    I'm gettin more an more tempted to just go ahead and get my mum a BB, but I'd hate to have to pay for a monthly data plan that my mum would never use.

I still got two more days to think it over, though.
    06-27-09 08:49 PM
    I had a q9c. You shouldnt get constant freezing if you fix the pocket ie cache an make it so the email is stored on the memory card. The pocket ie cache defaults to a huge size and stores on the phone memory. A reg hack fixes that.

My q9c was pretty solid
    Last edited by papped; 06-28-09 at 04:21 AM.
    06-28-09 04:18 AM
    That's a relief, thanks for the info PAPPED. I can now buy the q with confidence.
    06-28-09 04:30 AM
    Papped, I'd say where were you when I was having problems? haha, i couldn't find anyone, searched all over the net, and no one had an answer, but I'm not complaining, because I'm much more happy with my Bold than my q9c.

For your grandmother though, it does sound like winmo is what will work out for her.
    06-29-09 01:41 AM
    Guys thanks for your support, I'm goin to the carrier shop as soon as I got the time.
    I'm plannin to use the phone for a week before handing it over to my mum so I'll be able to assist her in learning how to use it.
    I'll also start a new thread where I'll report my day to day experience with the q.
    Papped, if u don't mind, I might be needin your help (again) in doin the registry hack that u told me.
    See u guys on the next thread.
    06-29-09 04:46 AM
    I'd have to look it up anyways because it's been too long...

Check out the ppcgeeks forum, they have stickied threads with reg hacks and tips, etc.
    06-29-09 12:20 PM
    I'm at the carrier's shop. The Q will be inside my pocket in a couple of minutes; funny, but I feel kinda excited. I'll keep u guys posted.

Cheers
    Fundee
    06-30-09 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD