Okay, so i have been thinking about going to get a new iphone 3G, cancel my contract then try to sell it for a profit. According to AT&T's website early termination fee is $175. So you pay $199 for the 8gb, $175 for early termination plus whatever the activation fee is, plus tax. So i figure i am looking at $450 to get the iphone. then turn around and put it on ebay and see if i can make a decent profit out of it. At least $200-400 bucks? (saving up for the bold )

I had a friend of mine of bought 2 of them last year. He sold the other one on ebay for $1200 dollars.

I was just curious to know if anybody else was thinking of trying this?
    07-07-08 11:15 AM
    Do it why not. A lot of peoples doing that on ebay.
    07-07-08 11:17 AM
    Seems a little risky... but it could pay off.

That is a decent chunk of change to invest when you never know how much it will sell for. And once you activate and then cancel your contract... is the phone still able to be unlocked and used on another carrier... who knows??
    07-07-08 11:20 AM
    Seems a little risky... but it could pay off.

That is a decent chunk of change to invest when you never know how much it will sell for. And once you activate and then cancel your contract... is the phone still able to be unlocked and used on another carrier... who knows??
    Yea exactly..who knows??? I don't think they will be able to be used by another carrier yet. I was hoping i would be able to cancel and maybe sell it to someone who didn't have the time to run out and get one that was using AT&T as there carrier. At least until someone figures out how to unlock it . Im just thinking due to all the hype surrounding the phone it would be worth the risk.

I guess i need to talk with someone from AT&T to find out if this is possible.
    07-07-08 11:27 AM
    Yea exactly..who knows??? I don't think they will be able to be used by another carrier yet. I was hoping i would be able to cancel and maybe sell it to someone who didn't have the time to run out and get one that was using AT&T as there carrier. At least until someone figures out how to unlock it . Im just thinking due to all the hype surrounding the phone it would be worth the risk.

I guess i need to talk with someone from AT&T to find out if this is possible.
    Seems like a good idea. You don't wanna end up spending all this money and time and then have it not sell for a good profit.
    07-07-08 11:35 AM
    Do it, put a reserve price on it. If it doesn't sell for your price return it within 30 days
    07-07-08 11:39 AM
    Okay, so i have been thinking about going to get a new iphone 3G, cancel my contract then try to sell it for a profit. According to AT&T's website early termination fee is $175. So you pay $199 for the 8gb, $175 for early termination plus whatever the activation fee is, plus tax. So i figure i am looking at $450 to get the iphone. then turn around and put it on ebay and see if i can make a decent profit out of it. At least $200-400 bucks? (saving up for the bold )

I had a friend of mine of bought 2 of them last year. He sold the other one on ebay for $1200 dollars.

I was just curious to know if anybody else was thinking of trying this?
    If you cancel the contract in the first 30 days, YOU HAVE TO RETURN THE DEVICE TO AT&T. After the 30 days you pay the EFT and you can keep the device, but you will have to pay an $18 activation fee and one months service, PLUS the contract you sign to activate the device is 2 years (but the EFT gets you out of that). Buying it on EBAY is a dumb idea considering you can buy the device without a contract for $599 ($699 16GB) anyway.
    07-09-08 03:23 PM
    Cool. Thanks for the info!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 03:26 PM
    no problem
    07-09-08 03:35 PM
    That's not the best idea in the world. You we better off selling 2g iPhones right now. I'm sold mine locked for $370, got it brand new for $380. If I wouldve unlocked it, I would have gotten $200-$300 more.

Also a lot of people know what happened last year. Apple had an abundance of iPhones while at&t was the only ones selling out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD