So after some investigating online, im still unclear if i am able to have an iPhone yet still use my blackberry with all its features. Does anyone know if i purchase an iPhone, will i be able to take out the SIM card and insert it into my blackberry and have full access to ALL features, Data and Phone?
    07-19-07 01:32 PM
    I dont think its the SIm card with the issue, its the Data Plans attached....
    07-19-07 03:18 PM
    I agree. The iPhone data plan won't work on your BB.
    07-20-07 05:02 AM
    I had the same need. On my current AT&T/Cingular account I had both the MediaNet 200 plan and a BlackBerry data plan. So I could switch between Palm, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices by simply swapping the SIM.

AT&T told me the iPhone SIM would NOT work in other phones. Apple told me the iPhone would work in other GSM phones, at least for phone calls. What I really cared about was the data plan. They both suggested I just register the iPhone and see what happens. So I did.

Is what happened is by registering the iPhone both my previous data plans were wiped out and I was left with only the iPhone data plan. As such, the iPhone SIM did work for calls in both the Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices. The iPhone data plan continued to work in the Windows Mobile device, but not the BlackBerry. This made sense, since the BlackBerry data plan is it's own animal.

I called AT&T and simply had them reinstate my BlackBerry plan to my account. So now I had the iPhone data plan and the BlackBerry plan again. Now both the BlackBerry and iPhone data plans both work. I can swap the SIM from one device to the other and so far full service, no problems.

The operator explained that the "System" may go through again and remove one of the plans. Time will tell. She put a note in my account asking any future AT&T operator to NOT remove either data plan. We'll see how long they both continue to stay enabled.

So, it is technically possible to have multiple data plans assigned to your SIM and swap between the iPhone and other GSM data enabled devices.

Ken
    08-09-07 11:13 AM
    Why you are switchin sim card so mutch? Maybe would be better for you just to clone same SIM. I know this is illegal but would really help you...
    08-09-07 02:27 PM
    Let me know how switching from your curve to your Iphone is doing, I’m thinking of buying the Iphone as well as keeping my curve.
    09-10-07 02:25 AM
    i registered iphone and staeted using the sim on blackberry 8800. i can use google maps and browse net using opera. cant get email to work though.
    09-11-07 11:03 AM
    I love my curve but I want an iphone also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-08 12:35 PM
    I recently inserted my iphone sim card into my pearl and it works perfectly. Just remember to change your data plan and get your Voicemail switched bsck from the visual iphone stuff.

04-19-08 10:58 AM
    I am thinking of keeping my Curve and getting an iPhone as well. I am glad I looked at this thread. Was afraid it would be too much work but I might give it a shot now.
    05-08-08 02:02 PM
    The best way to do this is get the curve first, unlock the iphone and make the iphone utilize the blackberry data plan. It works really well on T-Mobile. I did it for about a week and everything worked on both phones. I ended up getting tired of switching sim cards and decided the blackberry is a better device for me.

Edit: everything works EXCEPT Visual Voice Mail.
    05-08-08 06:18 PM
    The best way to do this is get the curve first, unlock the iphone and make the iphone utilize the blackberry data plan
    I have the opposite an iphone and an unlocked BB 8320 how do i get the BB to utilize the iphone tarrif as my network provider (after saying it could be done) has now said that you cant use the iphone sim with its data plan in the BB.

Not interested in visual email only push email etc

Sorry should have asked if anyone knows a way to utilise as it will cost me �300 to cancel contract.
    Last edited by JOMA1108; 06-20-08 at 06:15 AM. Reason: incomplete
    06-20-08 06:13 AM
    ok, so here's my situation.

I've got the blackberry bold on my company's plan, unlimited international data + international calling.

I think i can remove my BB sim card and put it into a jailbroken iPhone or iPhone 3G and everything on the iPhone will work except for visual voicemail right?

this works because technically the unlimited BB data plan (EDGE or 3G) and the unlimited iPhone's data plan (EDGE or 3G) are the same. The difference between the BB and iPhone plans are that the BB has blackberry server stuff working on the back end for e-mails while the iPhone has the visual voicemail thing working on the backend.

but anyways, domestically, the BB sim card should work in the iPhone for data. hopefully there's no way for AT&T to charge you extra.

so now the questions is, will the BB sim work in the iPhone while traveling internationally?
    11-06-08 10:59 AM
    chennyichung,

this is the exact same situtation that I'm in. I'm waiting for my bold to show up and hope that depending on the situation I can use my BB SIM in my iPhone. Don't really care about visual voicemail.

ScubaD
    11-24-08 09:46 AM
    so i've been using my blackberry bold SIM card in my iPhone 3G
    corp. plan with unlimited international data
    works just fine, and i've been checking up on my account (calling customer service) and asking if there have been any unusual charges to my account, and nothing so far.

So it looks like it's working just fine.

now the questions is, since i have unlimited international data, do i dare use my blackberry SIM in my iPhone when i travel to Asia? not for call, just for data.

hmm....
    11-24-08 10:06 AM
    Hey guys,
    I'm getting my first blackberry, the bold, in the mail tomorrow (so excited!!). I'm still a little confused..

I had the iPhone but it seriously just died on me. I called AT&T after I ordered my BB and told me I should call them afterwards to cancel my iPhone plan. Can I just use my iPhone SIM card in my new BB and be totally fine with just that BB plan?

Thanks for the help!!
    12-24-08 01:36 AM
    I have an iphone3g and just got a bold. The bold worked for a few days, and now will not. Is there any way for me to get them to add both without charges? Was the advice to ask them to add both plans to the account something that they will charge for?

I would love to learn the best way to keep everything functioning on both phones!

Thanks in advance
    PS, i am an ATT user, Iphone isnt and wont be jailbroken, its too unstable and annoying for me!

Mark
    03-02-09 04:02 AM
    According to a post I just read, if you are switching your sim from bb to iphone you run the risk of an incredibly high bill. Att is apparently cracking down on this. Since you are supposed to have a diff data plan with the diff phones.

03-02-09 09:47 AM
    The SIM Card from a Blackberry will work on an IPhone and vice versa providing you have the data plan to go with the device. But for how long I don't know, and its really not advisable to use either device without the correct plan. For legal and system reasons. What I would recommend for those that want to use both devices but keep the bill to a minimum is to switch to a family plan, and pick an iphone dataplan that best fits your needs. Granted that since you have both devices you don't need the unlimited data plan on both.
    Now, what if you only want to carry one and not the other some of the times? Forward all calls to the other phone number.
    03-02-09 09:41 PM
    According to a post I just read, if you are switching your sim from bb to iphone you run the risk of an incredibly high bill. Att is apparently cracking down on this. Since you are supposed to have a diff data plan with the diff phones.

That is pretty ridiculous of AT&T since you obviously can't be on two phones with one sim at the same time. Which post are you referring to?
    04-01-09 01:55 PM
    Chenyichung-

Unfortunately, switching the sim card from ur bb to iPhone int'l won't work. I just tried it a couple weeks ago when I was in Amsterdam and Paris, but maybe it will in Asia?
    07-29-09 08:55 PM

That is only true if you have a BB DATA PLAN, and not a Smartphone DATA PLAN... because, the iPhone connects to the internet constantly, just call AT&T and tell them to DSIABLE DATA (Except the bb data) then you will not have a large bill.

but of course you will not have data :P
    07-30-09 01:59 AM
    Chenyichung-

Unfortunately, switching the sim card from ur bb to iPhone int'l won't work. I just tried it a couple weeks ago when I was in Amsterdam and Paris, but maybe it will in Asia?
    Just curious... You said you was roaming international with the blackberry unlimited international data roaming SOC on your account and when you put the sim in the iPhone it didn't provision for data? I have been curious about this since I returned from japan. I figured the next time I go I would pop the sim card into my iPhone and just use it because I figured since it's a different carrier they wouldn't report the IMEI to AT&T and that they would only report the usage along with a dollar amount for AT&T to pay them. So you saying when you switched sims it didn't work? When you switched sims, what steps did you go through to attempt to get the data working on the iPhone... Hit me back when you can, I'm throughly interested!
    08-18-09 11:59 AM
    I also have a BB Bold with unlimited and international data plan. I use an iPhone on occasion by removing the SIM form the BB and inserting it in the iPhone. At least I used to when my iPhone was a jail broken 2G from AT&T.

I travel extensively to Mexico so bought a 3GS form the local carrier there recently and immediately unlocked it with Cydia. I can still use my BB SIM in it from AT&T and have great voice service, but it says that I don't have a data plan when I try and do anything else.

Anyone have a suggestion?
    08-30-09 05:07 PM
    have to change the APN or something like that

but you have to go to a website on your phone, and i can't post the link cause' i haven't had enough posts

search "iPhone 3.0 APN data" in google and it should be the first link

good luck!
    08-30-09 07:48 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD