Are you on drugs?

It was clearly identified in step #7 that the red dot is the OMAP4+RAM combined (and the GPU resides within the OMAP4).
    08-23-11 02:25 PM
    Is it so hard to consider a defect on a board? Or a component? HP had to do some level of design to make the device work and integrate all the components. You don't just get the main CPU/GPU/etc chip from Qualcomm and then slap an HP logo on it and call it a tablet.

I am not saying this rumor is true (sounds far fetched to me) but the TouchPad was abnormally slow considering what hardware it had under the hood. It seemed hobbled to me.

By the way, that site you linked to used the wrong benchmark for javascript. They should be using 0.9, not 0.9.1 (it lets certain devices cheat by accident, including PlayBook). The PlayBook is 2-5X slower than iPad 2 on the 0.9 javascript benchmarks when it is able to run the complete suite. The PlayBook and TouchPad benchmark closer together on 0.9. Here's how the devices all fare on 0.9:

(source: Anandtech)

Note iPad 2 at top, iPad 1 in middle, and PlayBook and TouchPad at bottom.

I can tell you that the real world performance of the TouchPad was far slower than the PlayBook, so I really think something other than javascript is the issue, given that these two are pretty similar in that regard.
    I thought 0.9.1 is for tablets and 0.9.0 is for smartphones
    08-23-11 04:01 PM
    Are you on drugs?

It was clearly identified in step #7 that the red dot is the OMAP4+RAM combined (and the GPU resides within the OMAP4).
    Everything is integrated on a single chip in all modern smartphones and tablets from CPU to GPU to RAM and/or Wifi/Bluetooth/3G radio stack, the concept is called SoC(System on Chip).
    08-23-11 04:16 PM
    It doesn't matter. I believe in equal opportunity cheating system.

Sunspider is part of webkit --- and webkit is dominated by Apple people. So the first thing is that Apple has been "cheating" since the 0.000000001 version of Sunspider.
    08-23-11 04:23 PM
    The two CPU's have the same DMIPS ratings and the TouchPad has double the RAM.

The only thing that can run twice as fast on the Ipad2 is the GPU.

So unless that they were just comparing 3D games on the two platform, the article is complete garbage.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Totally agree!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 05:36 PM
    Just want to correct the poster of this particular post...

and for good measure...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 05:49 PM
    this actually intrigued me. (Just quoted for reference)

So I know nothing about WebOS or programming or software/OS in general. If WebOS is based off Linux (Wikipedia says so) couldnt WebOS Apps be ported just as easily as Android Apps?
    The core of webOS is Linux (which I think is also the case for Android, though there are some differences). When the webOS homebrew community started digging in, they found that a Pre was remarkably similar in design to a Linux PC--which I don't think was the case with Android.

However, the interface of webOS is all HTML, CSS and Javascript, so while it might be possible to port apps to other platforms, it would require using those tools rather than work at the Linux level.
    08-25-11 10:54 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD