I currently have a Tour, and am very much a BB person. I got the tour the day they showed up in my store. Have not had a problem with it since I got it. Have a few apps that I really like and use very frequently. These apps are the only reason that I havent ordered a pixi yet. I was wondering if it is possible to get etrade on the pixi, as well as the street mobile apps. I cant count the number of times I use both of these in a day.

I guess other than those 2 apps, I also wonder what others impressions of the phone might be in every day use. I like the fact that it is small, has a touch screen with full keyboard, and can more than one app at the same time. This could be very handy for my etrade account that I have to sign off of to do anything else, and then have to sign back into every time.

any help or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
    02-11-10 12:30 PM
    You know that you can multitask on the BlackBerry? To check what apps are running in the background just hold down the BlackBerry key. I think you would be greatly disappointed in the Pixi. The biggest concern is the battery life and the lagginess of the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 11:26 PM
    Yeah, the Pixi is a step down from the Tour. If you are thinking of switching to WebOs, look at the Pre. The Keyboard is nothing like the Tour's though.
    02-15-10 12:55 AM
    webOS ≠ lag, a lot of people say this, what will disappoint you about Palm is battery life (though I've got mine to be pretty good lately), no push email, maybe the keyboard (doesn't both me but a big complaint for most). Palm has a lot of downfalls (the NEED for Homebrew apps), but speed is not one, compared to my Storm, my Pre is lightning fast, ask anyone who actually uses a Pre, speed is not an issue.

You know that you can multitask on the BlackBerry? To check what apps are running in the background just hold down the BlackBerry key. I think you would be greatly disappointed in the Pixi. The biggest concern is the battery life and the lagginess of the OS.

02-15-10 06:37 AM
    I had a Pre for about a month and the multi tasking was easy with the cards, the WebOS was awesome, but I really like have actual buttons. Yes there is a full qwerty keyboard, but every time you answer a sms or email you have to open the keyboard. With the pixi you wouldnt but I was never sold on the pixi. The battery life on the Pre was horrible, had to charge it everyday.
    02-16-10 05:21 PM
    webOs most definitely had a lot of lag issues with app switching and app opening. They just recently started addressing this with 1.3.5+. So for the good part of last year this issue was around and very noticeable...
    02-16-10 05:47 PM
    You'll have the Pre for a week, then you'll take it back like I did.

Battery life is terrible, but the Web browser rocks. And the quality compared to your Tour - it's like comparing a Tata Nano with a Lexus.

Also, the Pre is not very customizable, like the Berry is. You'll be missing your Tour big time if you switch.

Side note - I just became a Crackberry Abuser! Sweet!
    Last edited by mountainman; 02-17-10 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added the part about Crackberry abuser
    02-17-10 11:20 PM
    You'll have the Pre for a week, then you'll take it back like I did.

Battery life is terrible, but the Web browser rocks. And the quality compared to your Tour - it's like comparing a Tata Nano with a Lexus.

Also, the Pre is not very customizable, like the Berry is. You'll be missing your Tour big time if you switch.

Side note - I just became a Crackberry Abuser! Sweet!
    i second this. had the pixi for two days and loved alot of the features but disliked just as many. took it back and cancelled contract while im deciding on either tour or wait for the next BB device to be released.
    02-23-10 11:06 PM
    i second this. had the pixi for two days and loved alot of the features but disliked just as many. took it back and cancelled contract while im deciding on either tour or wait for the next BB device to be released.
    Make sure you check out the Tour 2/Bold forum if you decide to wait. May be a little longer for that device than originally thought.

I really did try to make the Pre work - I miss that browser for sure. I did try the Pixi in the store (about a month ago now), and I had trouble with the keyboard, which I thought was too small.

Also, when I got the Pre - I did not realize at the time that there is no expandable SD card memory - granted it came with 16G (8G on the Pixi I think), but I like the flexibility of slamming an SD card in there for even more storage.

If Palm ever makes another device that has the BB form factor for VZW (like the old ones), then I would at least consider it again.
    02-23-10 11:45 PM
    Make sure you check out the Tour 2/Bold forum if you decide to wait. May be a little longer for that device than originally thought.

I really did try to make the Pre work - I miss that browser for sure. I did try the Pixi in the store (about a month ago now), and I had trouble with the keyboard, which I thought was too small.

Also, when I got the Pre - I did not realize at the time that there is no expandable SD card memory - granted it came with 16G (8G on the Pixi I think), but I like the flexibility of slamming an SD card in there for even more storage.

If Palm ever makes another device that has the BB form factor for VZW (like the old ones), then I would at least consider it again.
    yea im not looking forward to the extended wait for the name change etc. what did you end up going with when you realized the pre wasnt going to work for you?
    02-24-10 03:45 PM
    Went from the Tour to the Pre to the 8530, no regrets.
    02-24-10 06:01 PM
    yea im not looking forward to the extended wait for the name change etc. what did you end up going with when you realized the pre wasnt going to work for you?
    I just returned the Pre and reactivated my Curve 8330. I'll probably get the new VZW Bold (or whatever it's called) shortly after it comes out (again, whenever that may be - May or June perhaps?)

If I had to get a device, I would definitely get a BB - most likely the Tour.
    02-25-10 11:32 PM
    webOs most definitely had a lot of lag issues with app switching and app opening. They just recently started addressing this with 1.3.5+. So for the good part of last year this issue was around and very noticeable...
    Opening any application on the pre was worse than opening opera mini on my tour. The deck of cards feature is nice, but unfortunately I had to close all programs I was not using to make my phone last. But when I did have a charger nearby and I was about to keep my programs running, it wasn't an issue. This was the biggest problem for me because I tend to text a bit but spread out through the day.

A few things I would do if I got this phone again...
    1. Homebrew
    2. LED notification
    3. Add option to delete emails in the notification area without having to open the email application.
    4. Add the patch to make it show the date in place of the carrier name.
    5. Add the patch that gives the option to turn on/off gps and flashlight on that top menu.

Basically, just get homebrew and go through all the stuff and add what you like. Oh and another thing that I disliked about the pre was that I had to open the weather app to see what it is like outside. On my BB it's on my home screen and I could just glance at it on the dock as I get ready in the morning.

The reasons I would not go back to the pre...
    1. Battery does not last very long.
    2. It sometimes had issues charging on the touchstone. I woke up to a dead phone once and it was charging when I went to bed.
    3. Lack notification without having to open the phone up. I can tell exactly what I have on my BB by the color of the LED. I had to use homebrew to even get an LED notification on the Pre and it was the same for all notifications.
    4. The keyboard isn't that great but it is usable. After coming back to the Tour though.... I don't think I am willing to use the Pre keyboard again.
    02-27-10 06:52 PM
    Went from the Tour to the Pre to the 8530, no regrets.
    You like the 8530 better than the Tour? Is it because of the trackpad and WiFi? How Is the speed of the device?

03-10-10 03:05 AM
    What I've noticed about the Pre Plus is the time it takes for apps to open. It only is a few seconds but it is thing like my BB. When I would click on the message icon it would take a full three seconds to open the app. On my BB it's almost instant..

03-10-10 08:03 AM
    You like the 8530 better than the Tour? Is it because of the trackpad and WiFi? How Is the speed of the device?

Mostly the trackpad, wifi and better processor.

It's much faster, especially if you are running the 5.0.0.509 v2.2 hybrid. The browser on that hybrid is very fast.

I also like the compact size, even though I like larger devices like the 9000 as well.
    03-10-10 12:56 PM
    Mostly the trackpad, wifi and better processor.

It's much faster, especially if you are running the 5.0.0.509 v2.2 hybrid. The browser on that hybrid is very fast.

I also like the compact size, even though I like larger devices like the 9000 as well.
    How about the keyboard? It looks similar to the 8330. Man I loved that keyboard.

03-22-10 07:31 PM
    How about the keyboard? It looks similar to the 8330. Man I loved that keyboard.

Yeah it's pretty similar to the 8330 keyboard.
    03-22-10 07:38 PM
    Yeah it's pretty similar to the 8330 keyboard.
    I used to like the size of my Bold 9000. I was a little upset about the new 9700 being smaller, but then it grew on me. Now I like the smaller berrys. It was nice to have a larger screen, but the smaller size felt more comfortable in my hand.

03-23-10 04:02 AM
    I am about to switch to a BB from a Palm Pre... The lag time for apps to load up is just unacceptable. Overall, the Pre is a great phone for entertainment purposes, but it does not work that well as a phone.
    03-25-10 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD