Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default There is no I-phone, Pre, or BB killer

Really we all need to understand that there is not or ever will be "one phone to rule them all". It's like saying that pizza is a steak killer. I think the I-phone is a really cool phone, but I own a storm. I like my storm, some days it likes me. I also think the Pre is a cool phone. That's just me. I think blondes are the bee's knees, but my friend likes red heads. Why would I go on to RedHead4life.com and post about how nuts they are because it proven blondes are far, far hotter. It's my opinion. It makes my blonde girl friend no less attractive to me, and I don't care if everyone else agrees with me or not. I do not factor in what people on the web think of my girl or phone. I factor in my needs, wants, and likes. It's how we all are. I don't look to build my self confidence by having the biggest best and then flaming anyone who says otherwise. I base my self confidence on what God intended us to, ***** size.

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

::2 Thumbs Up::
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

Excellent points! Please also post in iPhone forums where this kind of thinking is much needed.
    Mobigasmic!
    T-Mobile Treo 600--> Cingular Treo 650--> Cingular 8125--> Imate JasJar--> TMobile SDA--> Cingular Blackjack --> Cingular 8525-->UBiQUiO 503g-->HP iPAQ 910c-->HTC Fuze-->Blackberry Bold --> Blackberry Onyx
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Will do and thanks. To be honest most people just get what phone they can afford, or to continue the metaphor, the girl that says, "Yes".
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

It's more of a phone manufacturer war than per device.

Worldwide marketshare is the key. The devices are meaningless because they go outdated in about a year anwyays...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It's more of a phone manufacturer war than per device.

Worldwide marketshare is the key. The devices are meaningless because they go outdated in about a year anwyays...
    And a war between the die-hard and loyal fans. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholders. So far, the majority of the people who bought a Pre are former Palm owners. They are not winning over any Apple fan or loyal CrackBerrian.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

not gonna lie, i wanted a palm pre ever since January when i had my ****ty t-mobile G1 but last month it finally hit me that this company was being shady as ****. they didn't release any LEGIT info until about 3 weeks before the device came out and i had already purchased my bold. based on everyone's views on the pre i think battery life alone already makes the bold a better choice.

but this is more of a manufacturer war than anything (:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well microsoft will soon be part of this thread i guess.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substring View Post
    And a war between the die-hard and loyal fans. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholders. So far, the majority of the people who bought a Pre are former Palm owners. They are not winning over any Apple fan or loyal CrackBerrian.
    i got to disagree there, yes a majority of the buyers so far are palm users, but every single sprint store has people on waiting lists to pick up a pre.. i might be on that list. the phone is a beast, i got to play with it a few times already and its not cheap feeling the keyboard is a little small for my big hands but u can still type on it. the OS is incredible, once the word starts to spread and 3rd quarter mass production takes affect you will see alot of people from other carriers getting the pre. palm has a home run here.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by cheech4 View Post
    i got to disagree there, yes a majority of the buyers so far are palm users, but every single sprint store has people on waiting lists to pick up a pre.. i might be on that list. the phone is a beast, i got to play with it a few times already and its not cheap feeling the keyboard is a little small for my big hands but u can still type on it. the OS is incredible, once the word starts to spread and 3rd quarter mass production takes affect you will see alot of people from other carriers getting the pre. palm has a home run here.
    Well, both Sprint and Palm really needs new customers in order to revive themselves. So it's really not a good sign that people buying the PRE were already their customers pre-Pre. I'd think that ATT had quite a different experience with the iPhone, although I haven't seen the data on the matter for a while.

Also, I disagree that the phone doesn't feel cheap. To me, it felt extremely cheap especially considering the pricepoint. And I think that's really what's holding a lot of people from buying one. The OS looked very nice, although I am not a big fan of it being web-based. Overall, I really don't think Pre will end up being a home-run. It's a good start for Palm, though.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spark09223 View Post

Also, I disagree that the phone doesn't feel cheap. To me, it felt extremely cheap especially considering the pricepoint. And I think that's really what's holding a lot of people from buying one. The OS looked very nice, although I am not a big fan of it being web-based. Overall, I really don't think Pre will end up being a home-run. It's a good start for Palm, though.
    first you are entitled to your own opinion, i disagree i feel the hardware is pretty nice on the pre. secondly, i also disagree cuz the phone is already a home run, there no more left. and IMO palm and the pre out of the gates have done a fantastic job, with future updates the phone will be even better... you cant say that with the storm or Iphone, i mean seriously for sake the Iphone might be getting MMS on there 3rd generation.
    CrackBerry User

The Pre feels cheap?? Now I hope you don't have a Bold! Has your battery door fallen off lately? Did you have to put tape or a business card underneath the door so it doesn't creak?? Give me a break...the Bold wouldn't be considered top build quality either...
    The Pre feels great and its OS is far more advanced than my Bold...
    Unlocked, Unbranded and Colourwared!
    CrackBerry Genius

Everyone keeps justifying that the Pre is sold out. That means little to nothing really. Sure, it sold decently well the first 2 or 3 days out and sold out the 50-100k Sprint ordered but that means nothing towards long term sales or even reaching 1 million in sales.

Being sold out means nothing towards quality of the device or sustaining power of it in the market right now. No one knows how well the next batch will sell, how many returns there are/will be, etc.

Its an illogical conclusion right now to draw.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    High

Quote Originally Posted by stuaw11 View Post
    Everyone keeps justifying that the Pre is sold out. That means little to nothing really. Sure, it sold decently well the first 2 or 3 days out and sold out the 50-100k Sprint ordered but that means nothing towards long term sales or even reaching 1 million in sales.

Being sold out means nothing towards quality of the device or sustaining power of it in the market right now. No one knows how well the next batch will sell, how many returns there are/will be, etc.

Its an illogical conclusion right now to draw.
    Your right look at the Storm history
    Bold 9000 unlockedCurrently running OS 5.0.411
    CrackBerry User

The bottom line is...using the Pre for a few days now...it slaps the **** out of my Bold for 99% of the things I do with it. The screen is sharp, bigger and the touchscreen is the same if not better than the iphone. It has a qwerty...muti-tasking is a real pleasure....browser is fantastic...
    $99/month with everything included...unlimited voice, data, text, navigation, all included. On AT&T with 1400 min with the Bold, unlimited data and text and no navigation...I am paying $150. That is a $50 savings a month!!
    I'll have a Pre by the end of the month.
    Unlocked, Unbranded and Colourwared!
    CrackBerry User

Beware. I am a storm user and looking to jump ship to the pre or the g3s. I am on the list for sprint but found out last night that the warrenty does not cover scratches or cracks in the screen. The screen is made of plastic. There are also slot of reports of the screen cracking near the home button with in a week for a lot of people and they have said that they have to pay the 100$ deductible since it is not under their warrenty claim. That was a big concern due to it being a touch screen. I will be taking my name of the list tonight ad heading to att Friday. I am so bumned since I love the web Os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

my palms charging port broke and ontop of that it had many problems with software and hardware so i am positive i will never get another palm device
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by golong15 View Post
    Really we all need to understand that there is not or ever will be "one phone to rule them all". It's like saying that pizza is a steak killer. I think the I-phone is a really cool phone, but I own a storm. I like my storm, some days it likes me. I also think the Pre is a cool phone. That's just me. I think blondes are the bee's knees, but my friend likes red heads. Why would I go on to RedHead4life.com and post about how nuts they are because it proven blondes are far, far hotter. It's my opinion. It makes my blonde girl friend no less attractive to me, and I don't care if everyone else agrees with me or not. I do not factor in what people on the web think of my girl or phone. I factor in my needs, wants, and likes. It's how we all are. I don't look to build my self confidence by having the biggest best and then flaming anyone who says otherwise. I base my self confidence on what God intended us to, ***** size.
    Now you got be thinking about brunettes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24AFCD3C

Phone manufacturers shouldn't be worried about killing the iPhone. Its made by Apple, it will never be "killed." Its an icon and I don't think that will change for a while. IMO, its slowly dying, on its own. Popular things never remain popular forever. Look at the iPod, it use to be so cool if you owned one. Now, everyone has one and many people have multiple old iPods lying around. The same thing hapened with the RAZR, it just died quicker than the iPhone. Apple is hurting itself with $99 iPhones. Something is not cool if everyone has it.

When the iPhone first came out, everyone, including myself, wanted to see it, hold it, touch it, and play with it. Now, we don't even take a second glance. Its old news. The iPhone is headed down the same path as the iPod. It will still have good sales and be popular in the sense that everyone is buying it, but it won't be cool for much longer unless something revolutionary happens with it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m11stephen View Post
    Phone manufacturers shouldn't be worried about killing the iPhone. Its made by Apple, it will never be "killed." Its an icon and I don't think that will change for a while. IMO, its slowly dying, on its own. Popular things never remain popular forever. Look at the iPod, it use to be so cool if you owned one. Now, everyone has one and many people have multiple old iPods lying around. The same thing hapened with the RAZR, it just died quicker than the iPhone. Apple is hurting itself with $99 iPhones. Something is not cool if everyone has it.

When the iPhone first came out, everyone, including myself, wanted to see it, hold it, touch it, and play with it. Now, we don't even take a second glance. Its old news. The iPhone is headed down the same path as the iPod. It will still have good sales and be popular in the sense that everyone is buying it, but it won't be cool for much longer unless something revolutionary happens with it.
    I somewhat agree. I have an iPod and I hardly use it because I can play all my mp3 on my Storm. And I hate to carry 2 devices.

As of the iPhone, I like to have one if they are not running on the horrible AT&T network. But the fact that almost everybody I run into, including the janitor, has an iPhone. Then it becomes too mundane. The same thing like it is cool to drive a BMW, but if everyone on the street is driving a BMW, it ain't cool anymore. You want to drive something else and not to look like a sheep.