Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Sprint false advertising the Pre?

I just watched a commerical where Sprint was advertising the Pre.

They said "The Nations Best 3G network.. and now the nations first 4G network.. available on the Palm Pre"

Um.. Since when is the Pre 4G compatible? ITS NOT!

There will be a new Palm device coming out that IS 4G compatible, but this current Pre is not 4G compatible.
    Your lack of planning, does not warrant an emergency.

Yes, I am a BES admin.. Questions? Ask me!

Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

They are reffering to their network, not to the Pre specifically. Thats their new catch line. The network is available to the Palm Pre, but that doesnt mean the Pre can use it. Just a trick of wording is all.
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry Genius

Its not, just trick wording. I never understood the point of putting them together. Either advertise the dang phone better (not 5 seconds at the end of the commercial), or stop wasting money advertising a nonexistent 4g/WIMAX network. In 2 years theyve rolled out, what, 3-5 cities total? That's not exactly impressive, first in the game or not, since 9/10ths or more of the US cant use it anyways. So why waste money on a national ad campaign for a service most cant even access? Let alone confusing people who dont know. Sprint still doesnt make sense how they do things...

And this isnt exactly the head start over LTE Sprint was promising everyone, considering VZW has LTE coming out in 2010 which is only 5 months away now and ATT on their heels. And with Sprint's poor financial situation, WIMAX rollout might be hurting even more.

Right now they need to not worry about 4g/WIMAX advertising and worry about promoting what they CAN offer a customer here and now in services and phones, or they might not be around long enough as a company to see WIMAX do anything for them.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

those dirty rotten tricksters..

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    That's why they are in financial trouble. Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't around in 5 years.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you're saying that 5 years after, and Sprint is still around. Nothing in that commercial said that the Pre was 4G compatible, and they are the first network with 4G, though it's not nationwide.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Sinternet Jr. View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you're saying that 5 years after, and Sprint is still around. Nothing in that commercial said that the Pre was 4G compatible, and they are the first network with 4G, though it's not nationwide.
    It's a play on words. It says "The best 3G coverage.. and now the nations first 4G network... available on the Palm Pre"

This makes it seem that the Palm Pre is 4G compatible, and I'm willing to bet, ALOT of people who go into Sprint ask if the Pre is 4G.. I bet you if they did statistics, I bet half the people who walk in ask it.

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    It's a play on words. It says "The best 3G coverage.. and now the nations first 4G network... available on the Palm Pre"

This makes it seem that the Palm Pre is 4G compatible, and I'm willing to bet, ALOT of people who go into Sprint ask if the Pre is 4G.. I bet you if they did statistics, I bet half the people who walk in ask it.
    Youre correct. If you look at other Sprint forums like on HOFO youll see a lot of is the Pre 4g questions. It is definitely confusing, whether intentional or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinternet Jr. View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you're saying that 5 years after, and Sprint is still around.
    You may be right, but not for the right reasons. Sprint is in terrible shape. Theyve consistently lost 1+ million post paid subs per quarter for the last 2 years. They have an IDEN network that they have no clue what to do with other than stick Boost prepay subs on, but cost them much more to purchase and maintain then $50 Boost subs are getting them. Theyre invested in WIMAX which no one else in the US is using because everyone else is going with the more popular LTE standard most of the world is going with, and on a WIMAX frequency none of the other few WIMAX countries use besides one or 2. Its basically another CDMA where youll have to have dual mode phones and a whole mess of frequency jumble to travel.

I think it's more that no one wants to purchase that mess is why they will still be limping along 5 years from now (maybe in 4th place behind Tmo is the trend continues), not because they are thriving in business.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-17-2009 at 12:52 PM.
  8. BzB
    CrackBerry Master

they're doing anything they can to trick people into buying pre. can you blame them? i guess it's selling worse than they expected.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,014 Global Posts

4g compatible and 4g capable are two different things. All though the current pre is neither one.
    They stole my storm
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

they're doing anything they can to trick people into buying pre.
    If you consider offering a better phone is a trick, then I guess you're right. Dang it! TRICKED into buying better technology I don't have to have a program running on to reboot it every night so I can actually use it the next day. *curses*
  11. BzB
    CrackBerry Master

see, palm's trick is working. another example of a pre user who really thinks they've purchased a better phone. you guys probably think the pre really has 4g speeds as well. oh well...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    PIN
    Good ol' PM

First off the commercial goes like this

"On America's most dependable not"The Best" 3G network"

Based on both Gizmoto and Pcworld this is a true statement.

"Bringing you the the nations first wireless 4G network"

also a True statement, they are the 1st to market with a 4G technology.

"Sprint the Now Network"
    Marketing Tag.

Nowhere did Sprint say the Pre was 4G, its not a trick, you assumed based on seeing the Pre that it was 4G, had you asked to confirm that it was 4G I'm sure Sprint would've happily told you it wasn't 4G...

No different then what Verizon and ATT are doing.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

There was no assumptions. There are multiple Pre commercials. The one I saw, said exactly what I stated in my first post.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

see, palm's trick is working. another example of a pre user who really thinks they've purchased a better phone.
    There is no doubt I have a better phone than my previous Blackberry Storm. The Storm was cancer for both RIM and Verizon, and a joke of a phone. I guess you could argue that a Jitterbug is a better phone than a Storm, so maybe suffering through a year of Storm ownership has lowered my standards a bit.
  15. BzB
    CrackBerry Master

just imagine if the current pre were capable of 4g...the battery would last maybe 1 hour. then again, even on 3g, the pre can barely make it just a few hours with wifi and gps also turned on anyway. i guess that's not a big difference.

while it might not be a straight out lie, deceptive advertising is nothing new when you have a bad product that isn't selling very well. shrewd move by sprint.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

just imagine if the current pre were capable of 4g...the battery would last maybe 1 hour. then again, even on 3g, the pre can barely make it just a few hours with wifi and gps also turned on anyway. i guess that's not a big difference.
    This is no longer true after the update. I keep all the radios on all the time now and my battery life is fine.

while it might not be a straight out lie, deceptive advertising is nothing new...
    True. Take Verizon and RIM marketing the Storm as a phone as a perfect example.