Sprint will apparently be getting a spiffed up version of the Bold sometime this quarter.

Sprint will also be the first carrier in the US to get the new Palm Pre. Which would you guys get?

The Pre looks amazing. Touchscreen AND a keyboard, AND a little navigation button. The Pre's OS makes the BlackBerry OS look very old.

The Bold is a great machine as well. I can't decide...

01-16-09 05:44 PM
    I would say wait for both devices to be out to make a decision like that... but for me, palm hasn't proven themselves yet, but BB is doing it (cough* minus the storm for me *cough)

BB Messenger... Palm will not have.
    Push Email... to the second emails, don't think palm will be as fast.
    The keyboard is the same way as the 750 I had a hard time with, maybe even worse; looks slippery
    01-17-09 03:53 PM
    I don't see the appeal with the Palm Pre. It seems like a heavily-iPhone inspired device that can't decide between being fully touch screen or having a keyboard. It makes me think it will be clunky like the AT&T Quickfire.
    01-18-09 12:48 PM
    I agree with dovi, wait until you can mess with both instore then decide. I will most likely be upgrading to one of these too. I can't wait!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 08:12 AM
    One of the worst Palm attributes I've found is their overall center of gravity. Pick them up and feel the balance. Most of them I felt were top-heavy. Will the Pre be mos? Besides, the name soundes like some sorta lube. Until it's had some time, expectattions are Pre-mature.

01-19-09 08:43 AM
    I want to get some hands on time with the pre, but what I can say now is I'm very impressed based on the demo video. Since I switched from having a palm PDA and regular cell phone to using the 8330 there are aspects of the PDA I feel the lack of when using my BB. The BB OS and devices are sharp, but it looks like Palm has found their roots again and are at the beginning of being a superb company again. I will likely do one of two things. Buy a pre and use it as a PDA and continue to use my BB as my phone. Or switch to the pre as my PDA and phone. the slide out keyboard is one of the design features that really sells me on it. One of the things I didn't want to give up was screen size when I decided to move to the BB and give up using my palm T5 for nearly everything PDA. But I looked at it as gaining the advantage of the keyboard equalized the loss of screen size.. However the pre gives me the advantage of having both.

01-20-09 12:10 PM
    duuuuuuuuude palm is sooooooooo 2003!!!!! LOL
    01-20-09 01:16 PM
    Kehlerpa,

Have you watched the CES demo of the pre? It is vastly different than everything palm has ever done previously. In fact it is my honest opinion based on viewing it that their new OS is superior in functionality and features than the blackberry OS. On top of the elegant and practical design of the device itself. This could very well put palm right up there with RIM in market share pushing apple to a small share.

01-20-09 07:56 PM
    stoneryno it was a joke, supposed to be funny!
    it may be the next best thing out there but imo i dont believe it will be earth-shaking like the Blackberry or the iPhone.

i cant see it being even close to a BB or an iPhone-even if it does do more than both devices. Will it any of them better than the BB or iPhone. Will it have better media capabilities than the iPhone? No way. Will it have better messaging capabilities than a BB? NO WAY!

Even if it ends up getting close, these two monsters are already set and established. It would take a HUGE and amazing NEW selling point to get to their level...were talking things like making me breakfast!

Remember RIM and Apple have created cult followings with their products and i dont believe Palm will ever draw enough attention to significantly break into RIM or Apples dominance.

Mark my words: this is a final, desperate effort.

but it does look cool!
    01-21-09 02:26 PM
    Palm does have a cult following too that in the interim for them finally breaking away from the outdated design has chosen to experiment with other devices. This I believe is that device palm PDA and smartphone fans have been waiting for. Just look at their stock as an indicator that their being seen as getting a foothold to get back to dominance. In a very short time it went from just over 1 per share to over 7 per share. Everything I have read seems to indicate they are going to have a miraculous turn around by the end of this year simply because of this OS. It seems to me a lot of people see it as an iphone killer so to speak. Sure the iphone has suberb multimedia functionality. After all it is basically an ipod with a smartphone built into it but the iphone is not so much a business focused device. That is RIM's strength. And so it is not as good of a multimedia but more of a productivity tool and messaging/comunication device. Not look at palm. Palm strength has been PDAs. Their focus has been personal organisation and productivity which later branched into internet connectivity and communication by introducing bluetooth and wifi into their PDAs and branching into the smartphones for communication. The pre combines all the strengths of their PDA concepts and smartphone concepts into one device. I think is possible that RIM, apple, and palm could close to equally share the smartphone market. Obviously there are 3 kinds of users: business, multimedia, and personal productivity. I'm in the personal productivity crowd. I don't really care about music and video on my handheld (PDA/smartphone) and I don't really have a need for the business aspects of said devices. However tools for personal productivity and internet access and other personal stuff on the go is important.

01-22-09 01:25 PM
    So you agree that it will not be the media powerhouse that the iPhone is-
    Yet you think it will be a better business/messaging/productivity tool than a Blackberry?

If you don't answer yes- that you do think it will be better than a Blackberry- then your post as detailed and valid as some of its points
    May be does nothing but prove my remarks to be correct.

Also-speaking on Palms cult following. How many people have you seen using a Palm device in the last month?
    No need to answer just something to think about.

01-22-09 01:33 PM
    It would appear I was too broad in my comparison statement. Perhaps I should say better for the broader range of consumers. Don't get me wrong I like how BB works. However due to its primary focus on business productivity it lacks in certain non-business consumers want or use their phone, smartphone, or PDA for. So in that regard palm being experienced in device design for not only business consumers but non-business consumers as well they have done well in bringing that to the pre as far as I can see. So it is possible that BB remains superior for business consumers who have no use for or don't care for or want things like a fancy web browser for PC like browsing, multimedia, etc.

Now in regards to apple and the iphone. It is obvious they have made a superb device with the ipod or it wouldn't have become the center of that market instead of another device maker like creative or MS. With that said I have been impressed by the ipod compared to other devices I have seen. It is only natural that they would make a smartphone that is focused to the non-business consumer that carries that over to it. So at the moment I'd have to say the iphone is probably the best for multimedia and the average non-business owner who leans toward using their smartphone as a toy instead of a productivity tool.

Now for palm they have kind of merged the two markets into the same device. So while it may be possible that it is not superior to the BB business functionality or the iphones multimedia functionality. I believe the pre is the better device for consumers who are looking to use their smartphone for both productivity and leisure activity. Not to mention it adds the hardware keyboard while retaining the large screen size which I see as a superior design to a software keybard as seen in the iphone and the storm. Until I have opportunity to have the pre in my hands to get more intimate with its features and functionality this is about all I can really think of to say.

I use my BB for personal productivity; non-business communication (using email, SMS/MMS, calls, IMing); internet browsing on the go, occasional entertainment with games, music, video, or other multimedia stuff. BB is great for the early stuff in my list. But from internet browsing to the end of the list it is mediocre at best. So I guess this post is a long way of explaining what I meant in my other post.

01-24-09 02:58 PM
    i say wait till the pre comes out and see how it does, it may look great now, but the final product is whats gonna matter the most, if they can keep it pretty much the same then id say the pre is gonna be a way better choice then a BB
    01-25-09 09:28 AM
    I agree with you stoneryno on your predictions and where palm is going with their new os. And i'm not a Palm fan or user, I just like to see and experience new technology. If Palm can create their own os and make it what the BB os is to RIM then Palm will remain in the game and live to fight another day between their rivals. If this attempt fails then god have mercy on Palm for it will be the end for them as people will obviously lose all faith and sense of hope for Palm devices. They have to really step up to the plate and hit a homerun or else.... I can't wait to see their new pre device in person... i'm just curious but if i'm very impressed I will buy me one.
    01-26-09 02:42 AM
    I'm jumping ship. That's for sure.

02-04-09 04:46 AM
    So you agree that it will not be the media powerhouse that the iPhone is-
    Yet you think it will be a better business/messaging/productivity tool than a Blackberry?

If you don't answer yes- that you do think it will be better than a Blackberry- then your post as detailed and valid as some of its points
    May be does nothing but prove my remarks to be correct.

Also-speaking on Palms cult following. How many people have you seen using a Palm device in the last month?
    No need to answer just something to think about.

I hear a Palm ringtone everyday at my job and see a Centro in every other customer's hands. So they aren't a dead company completely. Just have one product that's selling.

On topic, wait until both come out. IMO I don't like how the Bold feels in your hands. Feels like you are hold a remote

02-06-09 09:13 AM
    Get the Bold.

The Palm Pre is overrated in my opinion.. just like the iPhone it will probably have convincing advertisements yet not live up to the hype..
    02-06-09 10:16 AM
    I would like to see a full finished hands on with the pre before making any judgements. I came from a Palm 755p which i liked but did NOT love. As with both my BB's i truly am addicted to them in such a way where the palm could just NOT contend. Granted thats my opinion but i think a BB is a much better device than anything Palm has put out. I still see people sporting Palm phones but just not anywhere near BB users. If the pre ends up being as good of a device as it looks palm will def get a lot of users back but i dont think i would ever go back to anything other than a Blackberry.
    02-06-09 10:24 AM
    It has been proven that blackberry is too much business for the average user and the iPhone is too much fun and games for the average user. Palm is looking to hit that sweet spot in the middle. The mass market does not need push email nor do they need a portable gaming system.

I would think it that it would be smart to save judgements of the Pre until we can actually demo it though... Just a thought.
    02-08-09 12:09 PM
    Some of us have seen one first hand my friend...just a thought.

02-08-09 12:10 PM
    Oh and thanks for layin out for the simple folk lie me- what the mass market "doesn't need"

02-08-09 12:12 PM
    Generally speaking a more generalized device, that is to say one that doesn't focus on a single niche of the consumer market, tends to appeal to the broad market or the "average" consumer. Palm more or less has in recent years (probably since the Tungsten E) has focused on making devices for more of a general consumer than just a business consumer. It is actually interesting that the pre is coming out in a market where the typical phone market is mostly a dicodemy of either entertainmet focused or business focused. Hence the iphone to blackberry spectrum. The fact that it appears the pre is a good balance between the two is what attracts me to it. And is also why I think it will bring palm back to their former glory as a handheld device company. Oh and the nice thing about a device that doesn't focus too much on one niche of the consumer market is that even the far ends of the market can customize the device to suit their needs. It will be interesting to see how things unfold over the next year. My projection is a possible equal sharing of the market between apple, RIM, and palm.

02-08-09 06:12 PM
    The mass market does not need push email nor do they need a portable gaming system.
    That's the funniest remark I've seen in any Blackberry forum yet, that was put out as a serious statement.

Good gosh, man, push email is one of the top three reasons BBs have flourished over the years.

As far as gaming, that's not my bag, but seems to be up there in the top five or so.
    02-09-09 04:07 PM
    Frisco- I couldn't agree more!!!

02-09-09 04:09 PM
    if you like the look of that hidious thing in the pic you posted.. i hate to think what sort of women you go for! sorry but that thing look naff and is unproven, be confident and go for the attractive girl no one wants to chat up. bb is and will continue to be the future.
    Last edited by colls; 02-09-09 at 04:20 PM.
    02-09-09 04:16 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD