Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default pre unver vzw

I just got my (ordered it) pre as a vzw subscriber.
    how good is this phone?

a friend of mine is using the droid and another is using the storm 2..

I want something thats stable (being that the pre runs linux it should be super stable and quick)
    seems the pre has a nice cpu..

in comparison to the droid and storm 2, how does this device rack up?

it must be pretty sweet considering its , what? palms flagship phone?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

WebOS is the most stable OS. However Pres hardware sucks. The battery life barely lasts a day, I text, email, and browse the web all the time. My Pre barely lasted half a day (6 hours). If you buy the expanded battery then it makes the phone ugly. I would take a Driod and even Storm2 over it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Well, the droid seems nice too..

I want a stable OS, the most stable..battery, wel if I can get an extended battery thats fine..i dont care much about looks..

also, is this pre flimsy vs the droid??
    when you say pre hardware sucks do you mean cpu? or just the make of the device?

I was told that the phones os is solid, but the actual build is so so compared to the storm 2 or droid
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

go play with both. The Pre Plus has a spring loaded slider that snaps open and shut. Feels a little cheap and I'm not sure how durable it will be in the long run. The droid keyboard just slides in a groove on the device so no springs to fail. WebOS is also still laggy when opening apps. Both devices are great and it comes down to form factor and pretty OS v larger screen/keyboard and more customizable open OS with better battery life. And the Storm 2 is outclassed by both.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,462 Global Posts

The pre plus is supposed to be really good. They improved upon the original pre. They upped the memory (16gb) and the processor. I remember reading that the original pre can have around 15 apps open where as the new one can have around 50 apps open. I've been looking at the pre but I have tmobile so for right now its a no no. Enjoy your new phone.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

The processor is the same. They just doubled the storage and memory (allows more cards), got rid of the physical home button (touch sensitive button isn't as awkward as I thought), added the touchstone battery cover from the factory, modified the sliding mechanism and improved the keyboard which feels a lot better than the original pre. A processor upgrade would've been nice and probably helped with the lag.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,462 Global Posts

Wow. That sounds awesome. Wish they would make one for the GSM carriers.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

You can clock up the processor with patches. Too bad the chipsets they used can't all handle the supported speed which is 600mhz, yet they are all clocked down to 500mhz.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    The processor is the same. They just doubled the storage and memory (allows more cards), got rid of the physical home button (touch sensitive button isn't as awkward as I thought), added the touchstone battery cover from the factory, modified the sliding mechanism and improved the keyboard which feels a lot better than the original pre. A processor upgrade would've been nice and probably helped with the lag.
    If they up the processor then the battery will just die faster. They just need to improve the battery, the 2000 ahm battery makes the phone fat.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

both the droid and the pre and linux based, correct? so in a sense, either direction is a solid device?

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pnico View Post
    both the droid and the pre and linux based, correct? so in a sense, either direction is a solid device?
    linux based means nothing...
    It's like saying your car is metal based...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

actually I think linux is more stable and quicker than a windows or bb pda..

do both the droid and palm pre plus have the same cpu? and does the palm pre plus have the seperate 3d acclerator?

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pnico View Post
    actually I think linux is more stable and quicker than a windows or bb pda..

do both the droid and palm pre plus have the same cpu? and does the palm pre plus have the seperate 3d acclerator?
    I think you are confusing running Linux vs running a linux-based, mobile os. It's not the same thing. If you assume linux is stable, it doesn't mean some customized linux-based OS out there is as well, just because it's based on linux.

The Pre+ is accelerated the same as the Pre.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

true..does the pre + have a 3d acclerator like the droid?

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Yeah the Pre has a 3d accelerator, I believe it's using the OMAP3430.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

There are more 3D games for the web OS platform over the andriod platform
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"