Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Powersave CPU Scaling + SmartReflex patches

Only install one type of patch! CPUScaling or SmartReflex, not both.

Explains the difference between the two:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...u-scaling.html

There is a possibility that running at 600mhz could damage the cpu (could depend on your chipset and is not a guarantee). There are two variants for both patch types, 500mhz and 600mhz. For this reason I would recommend the 500mhz versions.

As for the actual result differences, I'd just try them out. Overall OS responsiveness seems much better for most people regardless of which one you use. I'm using the 500mhz SmartReflex patch currently.

You can find these after installing PreWare, under patches > Dangerous.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    722 Global Posts
    PIN
    s are so 90's

I'm trying like h e l l to get a Pre on CL or EBay so I can swap it in and out with my Hero. I hope I find a deal soon, getting tired of waiting.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yeah, liked the pre cards and multitasking a lot better than the Hero.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Think I'm gonna switch to the cpu scaling patch. The cpu scaling reduces the cpu to 250mhz during idle, which sounds a bit better than running 500mhz all the time (even if the SmartReflex reduces the voltage all of the time).

Battery drain seems to be a bit less with the CPUScaling 500mhz patch. So far I'd recommend that one.
    Last edited by papped; 11-23-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    722 Global Posts
    PIN
    s are so 90's

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Think I'm gonna switch to the cpu scaling patch. The cpu scaling reduces the cpu to 250mhz during idle, which sounds a bit better than running 500mhz all the time (even if the SmartReflex reduces the voltage all of the time).

Battery drain seems to be a bit less with the CPUScaling 500mhz patch. So far I'd recommend that one.
    How is the 2600 mah battery so far? I am thinking of getting the 3500 when Seidio releases it for the Hero, just because. I get about 10 hours of hard use out of it now, but i'd like to be able to forget the charger and stuff.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    How is the 2600 mah battery so far? I am thinking of getting the 3500 when Seidio releases it for the Hero, just because. I get about 10 hours of hard use out of it now, but i'd like to be able to forget the charger and stuff.
    Easily get twice the battery life so far. I used to have to drag along my charger to make it through the day and now I don't at all. Highly recommended with the obvious caveat being that it's not Touchstone compatible. But I didn't plan on spending $50 on the battery and another $60 on the Touchstone anyways...

Hopefully this patch will help as well.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    722 Global Posts
    PIN
    s are so 90's

Well, I just added a second line for my lady, and now she (I) has/have a Pre. I had to run out to work, so the phone is home charging, I'm psyched to get home to mess around with it. 79 bucks at Best Buy, can't beat it. I'm sure I'm going to have to upgrade the OS and stuff, I have so much to learn, but Friday nights are too friggen busy at work to have much time to do some reading, and with Phish in town for two nights, I'm screwed!

Is Pre Central the place to go to learn about this thing? Any other resources? I had a question about Preware also, do you have to root the phone to be able to use preware? Thanks!

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Follow the webos quick install steps:

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Webos quick install jar is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html

You can turn dev mode off after installing Preware, beauty of preware is you don't need to keep setting it to install like webos quick install. And always uninstall all patches and themes before updating webos.
    Last edited by papped; 11-28-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

dosen't the increase of cpu cause damage?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

It's possible, but the 500mhz patches don't increase the cpu. That's why I recommend the 500mhz cpu scaling.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    722 Global Posts
    PIN
    s are so 90's

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Follow the webos quick install steps:

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Webos quick install jar is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html

You can turn dev mode off after installing Preware, beauty of preware is you don't need to keep setting it to install like webos quick install. And always uninstall all patches and themes before updating webos.
    Tried doing this, but stalled out on the Novacom driver. Seems following the Win 7 installation instructions are not working. It tells me to delete a file using orca and then save and close, after deleting the line they specify, it wont allow me to save, and promptly returns the deleted text. Guess I'll give it another go round some time. Looks neat, and I'm really digging the Pre.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Yeah I haven't tried on Win7.

Two things I found on it:

WebOSQuickInstall silently installs Novacom for all but Windows 7 and Linux. For those 2 OSes, special installation is needed (but it's all relatively simple). When you plugin your Pre for the first time, chances are that's your computer's installed novacom drivers simply recognizing your Pre and finalizing hardware recognition.

Long story short, just follow WebOS Quick Install's directions and everything will go smoothly
    Submitted by Jason Robitaille on Sat, 08/08/2009 - 10:03.
    I had lots of problems with that part and finally ended up installing the SDK to get Novacom on my Vista machine. Now everything is ok except I can't get Filecoaster on my Pre.
    Might be worth trying the SDK route to see if it installs the correct novacom.
    CrackBerry Abuser

how has the SMART RELFEX PATCH been working for you ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Smart reflex patch seemed fine, the battery drain seemed a bit higher though. I've been using the cpu scaling patch for over a week with no issues.

Results tend to vary based on who you ask, so ideally just try them out and remove it if you don't like it.