Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Post Pre+ Impressions Here

Looking to see how those of you have switched from BB to Pre Plus like it. I am especially interested in those who had a Storm or S2, but all thoughts and impressions appreciated.

Also, email is very important to me, how is the Pre Plus w/email?

Trying to decide whether to make the switch.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Pretty sure you can get feedback from people who don't have the + on email, since I doubt that is any different.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Pretty sure you can get feedback from people who don't have the + on email, since I doubt that is any different.
    I am sure this is true, but interested in the phone in general as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

The keyboard is cramped, but usable. The more I use it the easier it gets. I am still trying to get used to hitting the period instead of hitting the space bar twice. The browser kicks ****. I am still getting all of my contacts in order with my gmail account but it is getting there. I am also trying to figure out how to move all of my calendar entries to my google account so that I can sync that into the wonderful cloud. I am still learning the device so it is definitely sitting in the passenger seat for now. Though I can see it becoming my daily driver as it can check my AKO email that the blackberry's can not. I am sure that I will be able to give a more in depth review after a few days of usage.
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

Take this for what it's worth.

I played with the Pre today at the Verizon Store( they hadn't even sold one yet). My impressions going through the things that are important to me are the following.

The browser is great but my Motorola Droid w/Dolphin is just as good.

The OS is nice looking but laggy.

The phone gets hot and the battery drains pretty quick.

The keypad..what can I say....I hated it! Seriously, you would have to have really tiny fingers to do any kind of serious e-mail or texting daily. Don't get me wrong, the Droid keyboard is no princes but it is just as good if not a tad better....for me.

I like the size but the build quality really scares me. It felt cheap compared to the HTC Eris and Droid.

Will it sell well? I would assume it will do just fine over time but it won't break any records thats for sure.

In summary....it's a nice phone but not earth shattering.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

^^ Kinda funny but it sounds basically identical to a Pre (non-plus) overview. Not surprising though, considering most of the issues are either people not liking the hardware or are due to the OS/software (battery drain, battery getting hot, slow OS, etc). This is why adding more ram to the Pre doesn't really fix anything...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I've had my Pre+ for a little less then 24 hours so far.

I don't have large fingers so the keyboard is great. It clicks very nicely, and I like the texture of the gel feel to them. This is coming from someone who has used a 3Gs, Storm2, Droid, and Tour this past year.

The app store seems pretty bare. Just a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't really care for. Although the endgadget app and Adam Carolla podcast app are nice if you are in to those things.

I'm not a heavy emailer, but it seems to do a fine job of pushing my emails to my phone in a pretty timely manner. I don't notice much of a dropoff between when I receive it on my laptop and when I receive it on my Pre.

The Pandora app works beautifully on it, the layout is really nice.

You can def see the dropoff in screen resolution when comparing this to the Droid.

As far as web browsing, it's def better then anything any Blackberry is offering right now, but that's a given. It's very fast on wifi and still pretty good on 3G. Not as smooth as the Droid browser with Dolphin though. I notice that it takes my Pre a few seconds longer to render then it did my Droid.

I haven't installed homebrew or any of their apps for the phone yet so I'm definitely looking forward to adding some goodies to this thing.

The one thing about the device that appears to be a killer is the battery. I charged my phone late last night to 100% at about 1 am. I woke up today around 11 (I'm on vacation ;-)) and it was down to 75% left. That's with only having wifi running in the background.

I cruised around today listening to a podcast, sent some text messages out and I had a quick 5 or 7 minute chat on the phone and when I got home I had around 20% left.

That's pretty horrible.

I drained the battery again hoping that a few cycles through will help it out. I'll post my results the second time through if anyone is interested.

If it continues the way it's at, I would def not recommend this for anyone who would need it for business purposes. And I could see myself going back to my Droid as my mainstay. Although I was never ecstatic about the batt. life on that device, it sure beats this thing. And BTW, I turned the brightness all the way down from the moment I got the phone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

Forgot to get into the browser more in my short impression. Yes, the Droid renders faster on the sites I go to like Fox, MSNBC, Crackberry and CNN.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

From reading many threads on the Pre, it seems to be really lacking any sort of steam. Very few are impressed by it.

Global Posts
    5,261 Global Posts

I make all my money from programming apps for blackberry. Even with that being said I love my pre plus.

It's leap years ahead of any RIM device as far as the OS goes. The battery could be better, but then again my storm2's battery lasted about the same length.

The browser, well there is no comparison.

The apps, well RIM wins there, but when it comes to price the PRE takes it. The cheapest you can sell an app for in the Blackberry App World 2.99$ so all the apps that should be 1$ are 3$. Also there are a few companies that allow you to advertise in the game. This makes the developer money while being able to release the game for free. With that being said there are probably 20x the amount of apps available for BB.

When it comes to multitasking, well I think both phones are great at that.

When it comes to size, the pre is shorter but wider then my storm and tour. I thought my Storm2 felt good in my hand, but the pre is kind of rounded and feels so much nicer.

Keyboards..well the keyboard is kind of small, but I used to have a palm centro so I just sort of fell back into the small keyboard. I haven't had trouble with it yet. With that being said this would be my order
    1. Tour
    2. Pre
    3. Storm2

Both my Storm2 and Pre have wifi, the pre's wifi is blazing compared to he storm2.

Push email is great on the blackberry, but it works just fine on the pre too. I only have a gmail account so I'm not sure if yahoo has push email on the pre.

Umm am I missing anything? All in all I like my Pre and I'm happy with it. I also have the droid and I just hate that thing. Will it replace my BB though? I guess only time will tell.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

It's not really bringing anything new to the table. Palm doubled the storage and memory, added a springier slider, modified the keyboard feel and click and included the touchstone battery cover from the factory. Those who liked the Sprint Pre but couldn't leave verizon will like it and anyone without a droid will probably be satisfied. Verizon is really kicking Palm with their pants around their knees by having absolutely 0 advertisement for it. Most of the customers I talked to in the verizon store yesterday didn't even know it was available.

If it continues the way it's at, I would def not recommend this for anyone who would need it for business purposes.
    ha yeah, we use Sprint at work and have a few Pre's. They pretty much have touchstones on their desks and one even has one mounted in his car. But they love them and wouldn't go back to a blackberry as the Pre is arguably the best phone in the sprint lineup.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmglakewood View Post
    Umm am I missing anything? All in all I like my Pre and I'm happy with it. I also have the droid and I just hate that thing. Will it replace my BB though? I guess only time will tell.
    Give it time, it won't. I've owned a Pre and it seems great enough at what it does initially, the OS seems really slick, the cons don't seem so bad.

Eventually it starts wearing on you though. It's hard to explain, but you'll see. The flow of using the phone just isn't as smooth as BB. I eventually found myself chatting less (sms, IM, etc) due to both the annoying OS lag on some app switching, poor battery life (keeping AIM connected 24/7, you can kiss the crappy Pre battery life goodbye even faster), sending shorter emails (the keyboard is adequate, but not nearly as good), and not playing games that I did have (again, heat + poor battery life).

Synergy seems great at first... Then it starts to get annoying. Auto importing EVERY gmail/aim/etc contact you have. You cannot delete them, you have to organize it somehow, even the ones you don't care about. Say you have an open conversation with someone, it's very, very easy to send a message through the wrong protocol (sms/aim/etc) because the synergy kind of makes you forget what you're doing...

Wifi auto turning off every time the screen dims even mid download (which can screw up downloads) is very annoying.

I could go on and on, but you'll figure it out I'm sure.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.comi

I played with the Pre again this morning. It is way too laggy. The browser while fast, is not as fast as the droid. Texting is horrible. It just doesn't do it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Had the phone 2 days and took it back. The battery was pretty bad. Made 5 calls under 4 min. each in 2 days and had to charge the battery 3 times. In the same time span I was on the web with it maybe a total of 20 min., wifi about 5 min. It might have just been a bad phone/battery, but that just doesn't work for me.

The browser was great. I got the pushed emails, but the notificattion was lacking. I have pretty big fingers, but the keyboard was still pretty functional.

All in all, I think I would have liked the phone more if I hadn't come from a Blackberry. Good phone, just not what I was looking for.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah, I've noticed all the cons everyone has stated when I played w/ one in a Verizon store the day it came out. But it is fact, that if I had never owned a Blackberry, I'd be super tempted to try the Pre out. But once you get hooked to Blackberries it is seriously hard to change over to another phone. I've tried 3 times, and came crawling back lol.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by PoPcOrNPiMpZ View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed all the cons everyone has stated when I played w/ one in a Verizon store the day it came out. But it is fact, that if I had never owned a Blackberry, I'd be super tempted to try the Pre out. But once you get hooked to Blackberries it is seriously hard to change over to another phone. I've tried 3 times, and came crawling back lol.
    Dumbest thing I've ever heard! It's a damned phone!
    CrackBerry Abuser

^What's so dumb about what I said? B/c I said that I'm addicted to my Blackberry, or what? I'm lost as to how it's dumb? Hmm, Blackberries are addicting. At least to me they are, and I'm sure plenty others on this site are as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

I have both. I will admit that I am grabbing the pre more and more. Probably the biggest thing that the blackberry has that I miss on the pre is the ability to put it in a sleep holster.
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah, I'd miss BBM -- and the keyboard mostly. The Pre's keyboard is OK.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

Yeah, I'd miss BBM -- and the keyboard mostly. The Pre's keyboard is OK.
    My other issue with the Pre is the fact that it isn't a world phone. I will be in Iraq this time next year. We can guess which phone is coming with me.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

You'll also miss profiles....and notification customization... a lot.

The horrendous lack of any file explorer is pretty annoying too. You can use the homebrew one, but it is severely limited. The lack of any buttons for navigating through text lines or blocks gets to be pretty bad on text editing and selection as well....
    Last edited by papped; 01-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,055 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH between your cheek and gum, gives you great tobacco flavor, without lighting up

Default Curve to Pre Plus - Addicted to Crack

Check out this thread I posted in the Tour2 section:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/cu...efully-413088/

If the Pre Plus could hold a charge, and I was ONLY surfing the web, the device would be perfect.

It's hard to get off the crack
    People say, it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean that counts....
    But you can't get to China in a canoe.
    My Smartphone saga
    Curve 8330 (Own) > Palm Pre + (POS) > Storm2 (Stolen) > Droid X (Sold) > Bold 9650 (Own) > iPhone 4 (Sold) > Bold 9930 (Traded) > iPhone 4 (Current)

VZW iPhone 4 16GB White
    iOS 5.0.1 Untethered JB
    EZ4U2NV Theme with Motion
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

++ Synergy
    ++ multitasking
    ++ type to search

+ browser: > droid, =< iphone
    + silent switch

- no desktop sync out of the box
    - no notification light out of the box

-- laggy
    -- lack of buttons (gesturing gets old)

---------------- battery life

I'm going back to the droid until the tour2 comes out.
    VZW Curve => Storm => Curve => Omnia > Curve => Saga => Curve => Tour => Curve => Droid => Curve?!?!?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Reception on the Pre sucks too. And its synergy downloads everything. Hopefully Pre2 will be better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    ha yeah, we use Sprint at work and have a few Pre's. They pretty much have touchstones on their desks and one even has one mounted in his car. But they love them and wouldn't go back to a blackberry as the Pre is arguably the best phone in the sprint lineup.
    If by phone you mean something used to make phone calls I think its easy to argue that the Pre is not even close to the best phone in the Sprint line up. First of all the battery life is awful and its very hard to make a call with a dead battery. Secondly, its apparently not that good at holding a signal. Thirdly, the phone UI sucks. On a BB I can make a call most of the time by hitting the green send button and then either holding down a key or selecting a call from the call list and hitting the green button again. Even looking up a contact is easy with the keyboard on most BBs. We the Pre you have to start up or select the phone app and then select the call list.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast