I apologize if this has been asked and/or answered. I searched and didn't find the answer....

I have the Storm. I want the Pre, but can't switch carriers (work)

So, can I unlock the pre? can it be used on Verizon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    06-22-09 06:38 PM
    Havent heard about it. Might wanna check precentral.net
    06-22-09 07:03 PM
    Doubt it. But you can't even try until its been out for 30 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 09:36 PM
    Cant... However we should be getting it in January, based on the CEO's remarks.... 800 posts happy times! wish it was a little milestone type thing
    06-22-09 09:40 PM
    That is a negative.
    06-24-09 02:43 AM
    About the unlock/hack to work on verizon network question
    06-24-09 02:44 AM
    I took my Pre to Verizon and they were willing to try, but when entering the number behind the battery(esn) or something like that, the system wouldn't accept it......

I guess if we can get it unlocked or something like this...

Other then that, Im really liking this phone, but I still hold my Storm tight
    06-24-09 09:57 AM
    Might be wrong, but I think the ESN is strictly assigned to the carrier and CDMA phones can't really be unlocked for use on other CDMA networks. Only reason you can unlock a Storm for GSM use is because it has a SIM card to allow it to use GSM networks over seas. Just gonna have to wait this one out or switch to Sprint I'm afraid.
    06-24-09 10:02 AM
    Impossible to unlock and run on Verizons network..

Got some cash and a good cell shop around, maybe have it flashed to Verizon?

Even then.. might be kind of expensive and time consuming, then you have the option of the flash failing
    06-24-09 10:03 AM
    The Verizon store I went to was more then willing to try loading it, but their computer wouldn't accept the EIN number...

So, if they flash the phone, would they then be able to load it? I know they will do it for me, but don't want to flash the phone, have it not work then be stuck with a dead phone.............

What all does "flashing" entail.......(I know, I know, usually a pair of really long socks, sun glasses and a trench coat......Not that type of flashing)

Thanks in advance for your replies..........
    06-25-09 12:21 PM
    You can but you would have to do something illegal like changing the ESN to a Verizon recognized series. Not worth it.

06-27-09 04:06 PM
    I believe that you would have to send it to Verizon for testing before this could happen. If Verizon approved it after testing, then all pres would be allowed on the network. I may be wrong but this is how I understand the whole open handset alliance thing. One person just has to be the guinea pig and send in a brand new pre and wait for it to be tested, which could be 60 days, then if verizon rejects it they are stuck with a phone they can't return.
    06-28-09 02:19 PM
    So uhhm...who wants to be the guinea pig?

07-02-09 08:25 AM
    07-02-09 08:57 AM
    Not for nothing, but hasn't it been rumored that Verizon is getting the Pre? I thought I saw that somewhere...
    07-02-09 08:59 AM
    intresting
    07-02-09 01:55 PM
    It really has nothing to do with "unlocking" or "flashing" the phone. VZW basically has a database of their ESNs if its not in there you can't activate it.
    07-02-09 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD