i don't know if anyone had seen this, and sorry if it has been posted. but did anyone seen the Speed test done by Cnet? They compared both the Pre and Iphone 3Gs in 3 real life situations and the Pre smoked the Iphone 3Gs 2 of the 3. tests consist of start up which I phone 3Gs won, browser Speed which Pre won and a real life take a picture and send it to your friend test and Pre prevailed at that too... PRE is KING
    06-29-09 04:03 PM
    Whoa...not hard to believe...plus Sprint is cdma like Verizon & it's capacity is greater per cell tower than gsm...
    06-29-09 04:05 PM
    which one has the better landscape keyboard and video camera?
    06-29-09 04:10 PM
    if your trying to be funny its not working.. you know the pre doesn't have landscape mode cuz it has a physical keyboard, it doesn't need it. and video cam will come eventually in an update. and please next time don't change the subject. this is a real world speed test lets leave it at that.
    06-29-09 04:15 PM
    Certainly not the Storm.
    06-29-09 06:04 PM
    real world on one street in the United States at one short period of time.

Proves NOTHING. Coverage, speeds etc vary by time of day and location. This is worthless drivel.
    06-29-09 10:17 PM
    pre doesn't need a landscape keyboard? right, cause people only read web pages and documents in portrait anyway. and since every other touch screen phone has a landscape keyboard, that proves it's a novelty item and not really useful.

look. the pre is a marginal device at best compared to the iphone. there are so many other areas where the iphone outperforms and oututilizes the pre that being slightly faster in 3g than the iphone isn't really a significant issue.
    06-30-09 01:52 AM

which one do you have to put your cell in the shop to replace the battery..

which one took 3 generations to include voicedialing/memos

which on advertised as finally having mms and didn't even launch with it

which one can you run more then 1 application on

which one sucks when it freezes and takes 10 minutes to reboot because you can't simply pull the battery

look bottom line is every phone has there downsides... originally I loved the iPhone but it ended up having downfalls that kept me from keeping it still does have a lot of those downfalls..

a person has to pick a phone that works for them bottom line

also..

when the iPhone launched you couldn't even delete more then 1 email at a time..

if you have lets say 5 email accounts on the iPhone its a pain in the **** seriously..

I mean I guess what this post from me is supposed to prove is that iPhone is not the end all phone but people still like it. I may not be one of those people but thats just the way it works..

pre doesn't need a landscape keyboard? right, cause people only read web pages and documents in portrait anyway. and since every other touch screen phone has a landscape keyboard, that proves it's a novelty item and not really useful.

look. the pre is a marginal device at best compared to the iphone. there are so many other areas where the iphone outperforms and oututilizes the pre that being slightly faster in 3g than the iphone isn't really a significant issue.

as far as this post the pre is marginal compared to the iPhone? I guess that depends on whos using it now doesn't it..

I would take a pre light years before a iPhone.. I like my berry's though.. the fact that iPhone doesn't multitask would make me take the pre in a heartbeat...

keep in mind to each is own buy a phone for you and the phone is just that FOR you
    Last edited by noaim; 06-30-09 at 05:26 AM.
    06-30-09 05:23 AM

WOW. I am seriously getting tired of your trolling. Because it doesn't have a landscape keyboard, it's a novelty item? Well, maybe I should go post in the Storm forums stating how since the Storm doesn't have a functional OS, it's just a playtoy.
    06-30-09 07:05 AM
    It's worth noting that the Pre failed (like...got it's *** handed to it) in the startup time. Didn't it take like 2 minutes? But aside from that, it smoked the iPhone.
    06-30-09 09:52 AM
    real world on one street in the United States at one short period of time.

Proves NOTHING. Coverage, speeds etc vary by time of day and location. This is worthless drivel.
    real world in 1 street is right. and the street is somewhere in san fran where both Sprint and AT&T have great coverage, stop making excuses, the PRE gave the I phone 3Gs a good smack down. PRE > I PHONE 3Gs in speed test period.
    06-30-09 01:28 PM

I agree the I phone is a great device.. but test proved the PRE is faster and it can MULTI task and have 7-8 apps working in the back ground, can the I phone do that i dont think so. As far as the landscape mode and reading docs, well since you can use it in landscape mode for some features i think its just a matter of an update. the Pre is now, the I phone had its day.
    06-30-09 01:35 PM
    you guys should revel in winning the 3g speed contest because there are some glaring issues that can't be fixed by an os update, which imo relegates the phone to mediocre status at best.

while the iphone and even the storm's most serious misgivings can be fixed with an os upgrade, the pre is saddled with problems an os update can't fix. a horrible portrait only slider keyboard, terrible build quality, permanently minuscule storage capacity, a failing company, and highly questionable data management. i don't know guys, this may not be enough for palm to survive long enough to make an improved version or even stay alive...enjoy your 3g speeds. lol
    06-30-09 02:22 PM
    real world in 1 street is right. and the street is somewhere in san fran where both Sprint and AT&T have great coverage, stop making excuses, the PRE gave the I phone 3Gs a good smack down. PRE > I PHONE 3Gs in speed test period.
    Sorry but if you knew statistics, testing in ONE spot proves little. You need to test in hundreds/thousands of places with the same phones to eliminate as many variables as possible.
    06-30-09 02:41 PM
    you guys should revel in winning the 3g speed contest because there are some glaring issues that can't be fixed by an os update, which imo relegates the phone to mediocre status at best.

while the iphone and even the storm's most serious misgivings can be fixed with an os upgrade, the pre is saddled with problems an os update can't fix. a horrible portrait only slider keyboard, terrible build quality, permanently minuscule storage capacity, a failing company, and highly questionable data management. i don't know guys, this may not be enough for palm to survive long enough to make an improved version or even stay alive...enjoy your 3g speeds. lol
    I am truly laughing out loud over this thread. BzB is clearly a "hater" cuz he hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid like the Palm/Sprint employees on here. I find it truly fascinating that people get so defensive of their carrier and their phone. Guys, its not your johnson. Get a grip. Why get so serious?

I think the Pre is a flop. E for effort, now go home and let the grown ups get back to work. Its a niche/marginal phone and while it may allow Palm to limp along for a while longer, its clearly no game changer.

Compare to when Blackberry first hit the scene in '99 or even the Palm Pilot in '96 (most of you were probably in grade school back then), these were real game changers in corporate America. Even Apple's little "phone" shook the rafters so much that RIM felt compelled to made a horrible clone.

Palm is a relic and Pre is marginal at best. My opinion.
    Last edited by theadrock13; 07-01-09 at 10:10 AM.
    06-30-09 02:50 PM
    I am truly laughing out loud over this thread. BzB is clearly a "hater" cuz he hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid like the Palm/Sprint employees on here. I find it truly fascinating that people get so defensive of their carrier and their phone. Guys, its not your johnson. Get a grip. Why get so serious?
    No, BzB is a "hater" because he comes on this forum to regularly bash the Pre.
    06-30-09 04:10 PM
    Sorry but if you knew statistics, testing in ONE spot proves little. You need to test in hundreds/thousands of places with the same phones to eliminate as many variables as possible.
    Its ok he cant see past his fanboyism about the Pre to see the truth in this little test, sad.
    06-30-09 04:25 PM
    Its ok he cant see past his fanboyism about the Pre to see the truth in this little test, sad.
    sad thing is you cant see past the fact that the I phone 3Gs and AT&T in SanFran got spanked by the Pre.
    06-30-09 06:57 PM
    And you cant see past being a Pre fanboy which is the saddest part. Until you provide PROOF of equal signal strength in Db in San Francisco your arguement holds ZERO weight.

Not withstanding one city on point in time, you still lose the argument making a sweeping generalization. This proves NOTHING other than the 3 min of time at that ONE point in the country the Pre was faster.

How exactly does that equate to EVERYONE will see the same?

It doesnt, because youre making a SWEEPING GENERALIZATION over one small test, also based on zero proof other than what you see in the video. you have NO CLUE what the signal strengths were in the test, and until you can provide accurate numbers youre little Pre>3gs means ABSOLUTELY nothing.

you have an obvious less than rudimentary understanding of how cellular technology works.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-30-09 at 08:25 PM.
    06-30-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD