I could be wrong, but I'm seeing some signs that this phone could be a huge mess. Don't get me wrong- it definitely appears to be an exciting device with some great features. It could potentially end up being something I might like one day, but I am really having my reservations after reading some of the threads over at treocentral.

Guys are talking about having already moved their data to the "cloud" in anticipation, which means they lose local Outlook sync and have to trust and rely on some no name web service to provide a hosted Exchange service (if they don't have Exchange), or they have to hope that a service like Google will give them what they need. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Look at tasks, for example. You can't delegate tasks to others and have all the task features in Gmail that you get with Outlook. Also, I think a lot of these guys are going to be in for a real shock, when they realize that the shared Exchange services generally don't let you sync older calendar entries. They'll basically lose all of their data prior to a month ago, or so. Think of doctors that don't run an Exchange server, but like Palm, and they have patient history dating back 10 years that could get lost in this "upgrade" to the cloud.

The battery on units that people have tested looks like it might just barely make it through the day, and will always need to be charged at night. Might be a problem, might not, depending on your usage and lifestyle.

The cost of the device seems to be a friction point. As always, new subscribers and new lines of service seem to get the best deal, but Sprint may be taking it a step further and making it harder for guys to even get their hands on a device if they are an existing customer. As always, people get a different story every time they call Sprint for an answer. I'm just guessing that a lot of these folks that have been jerked around with no release date since January are going to be very angry when they find that the phone isn't available to them or is WAY out of their price range for what should be considered a fair price for this device.

The keyboard really looks to be way too much like the Centro. Not good. Some have commented on how the top lip interferes with the top row of keys.

I think I'm going to sit back and watch the first adopters suffer with this thing, and then I'll re-evaluate. Of course, by that time the Tour will just about be here...
    06-02-09 12:33 AM
    PRE/flop= NO WAY!!!!
    06-02-09 12:38 AM
    PRE/flop= NO WAY!!!!
    Yeah I'm with you on this. guess we can wait and find out on the 6th.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 06:07 AM
    i think it will be flop .
    06-02-09 06:15 AM
    I personally think the Pre is an overhyped piece of garbage..all this is is a latch ditch effort by Palm to try and keep their head above water and it will fair miserably...just like the Instinct.

06-02-09 06:18 AM
    I am not normally one to be right on the cutting edge of cell phones, looking for the next big thing to come out, but when someone new comes out I still appreciate a cool phone. This one really doesn't look all that cool to me.
    06-02-09 07:30 AM
    Battery life's not so good ,Its built cheap ,Keyboards to small ,No reviews available and no Palm advertising to draw potential customer in.

Pre biggest advertiser "Lou" seen below hasn't got paid a cent from Palm lol.

Gizmodo - Get a Palm Pre Tattoo For a Free Pre: Save $199, Lose a Lifetime of Dignity - Palm pre
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-02-09 at 11:45 AM.
    06-02-09 11:39 AM
    There's been way too much time invested in the Pre for it to be a total flop. I mean...I'm sure it's no Blackberry, but it's not going to be a complete POS either.
    06-02-09 12:13 PM
    Even if the the Pre "flops" (which it most likely won't, it just won't meet the hype) the thing is whether or not their WebOS takes off.

There's gonna be more than 1 phone and Palm definitely needs one of them to take off fairly soon...
    06-02-09 12:15 PM
    Battery life's not so good ,Its built cheap ,Keyboards to small ,No reviews available and no Palm advertising to draw potential customer in.

Pre biggest advertiser "Lou" seen below hasn't got paid a cent from Palm lol.

Gizmodo - Get a Palm Pre Tattoo For a Free Pre: Save $199, Lose a Lifetime of Dignity - Palm pre
    Oh, man. See, guys like this make me glad that I don't have a daughter. What a dork. The whole idea of getting a tattoo of an electronic device is lame anyway, regardless of what it is. Can you imagine getting a motorola brick phone tattoo back in the late 80's?
    06-02-09 03:06 PM
    I am not normally one to be right on the cutting edge of cell phones, looking for the next big thing to come out, but when someone new comes out I still appreciate a cool phone. This one really doesn't look all that cool to me.
    And I would be what you would call an early adopter for the most part, but this phone just makes me want to sit back and watch the village people fight with it.
    06-02-09 03:08 PM
    Why everytime something new comes out the first thing ppl say without even using the phone is it's gonna flop! You havent even tried it yet, let alone given it a chance & you already judging it. I can see if you used it & have facts that its going to flop. Just like when the I Phone came out ppl downed it, as well as the Storm. It's not the phone thats not good, it's that the phones not good for you. So dont down the phone just because you dont like it. It maybe perfect for other ppl just like how your blackberry is perfect for you. For some ppl the Pre may have been the answer to everything they have been asking for in a phone! This is why ppl have the freedom to choose whatever phones works for them! Im so tired of reading these threads about b***hing about phones when it's truly not the phone, its just not something you would use. Come on ppl, lets be adults! If you dont like the phone dont buy it. But dont make it seem like its not a good phone, its just not a good phone for you!!!
    06-02-09 03:39 PM
    Why everytime something new comes out the first thing ppl say without even using the phone is it's gonna flop! You havent even tried it yet, let alone given it a chance & you already judging it. I can see if you used it & have facts that its going to flop. Just like when the I Phone came out ppl downed it, as well as the Storm. It's not the phone thats not good, it's that the phones not good for you. So dont down the phone just because you dont like it. It maybe perfect for other ppl just like how your blackberry is perfect for you. For some ppl the Pre may have been the answer to everything they have been asking for in a phone! This is why ppl have the freedom to choose whatever phones works for them! Im so tired of reading these threads about b***hing about phones when it's truly not the phone, its just not something you would use. Come on ppl, lets be adults! If you dont like the phone dont buy it. But dont make it seem like its not a good phone, its just not a good phone for you!!!
    Jesus, take a Mydol and then come back.
    06-02-09 06:08 PM
    If Sprint is committed like AT&T is to the Iphone then it can be a success, but if they drop it like its hot then the Pre is going to be a one hit wonder, nice and shiny for a few months then everyone will be looking for the Tour to show its face
    06-02-09 06:55 PM
    the pre will be a great fone, palm has put alot into it. It has the potential to be an iphone killer, as well as being bettr thn the storm
    06-02-09 07:02 PM
    the pre will be a great fone, palm has put alot into it. It has the potential to be an iphone killer, as well as being bettr thn the storm
    It's not going to kill the iphone...
    06-02-09 07:22 PM
    Jesus, take a Mydol and then come back.
    Lol! That's what all men say when women are right! Lol!
    06-02-09 07:45 PM
    i feel its going to destroy the Iphone. not in the Apps dept, but in OS. and to top that the qwerty is just candy... can you imagine an Iphone with a physical qwerty, well that's the PRE.
    06-02-09 08:41 PM
    iPhone is all about the apps though.... So even if you had identical other elements it's completely different.

Also, if you took the same Pre and had a landscape keyboard instead of portrait it would destroy the current Pre. So even though it has a keyboard the situation could be a lot better hardware wise.
    06-02-09 08:55 PM
    I just don't get it. I get tired of people ******** about other people ********...oh wait...what was I talking about?

06-02-09 09:07 PM
    I just don't get it. I get tired of people ******** about other people ********...oh wait...what was I talking about?

Ha Ha! Everybody got jokes!
    06-02-09 09:15 PM
    I think that the Pre is what the Storm should've been when it was released. Just a fresh design. I lot more thought went into the development of the Pre then the Storm. The Storm felt like RIM just threw together a touchscreen phone JUST to compete with the iPhone (which it doesn't but has its own market). I love my Curve but was really disappointed with the Storm when it was first released. I think the Pre will be a success for Palm.
    06-03-09 11:58 AM
    ...The Storm felt like RIM just threw together a touchscreen phone JUST to compete with the iPhone (which it doesn't but has its own market). I love my Curve but was really disappointed with the Storm when it was first released. ...
    I couldn't agree more. Its very sad how the 1st Generation Storm turned out. Hopefully, Storm2 will not suffer because of the bad taste left in the mouths of Storm 1 owners. But really, is there anything 'new' and exciting about the Storm2 anyway?

ALB
    06-03-09 12:14 PM
    Most of the new phones out there by anyone aren't all that "new", they are just rehashes of existing phones...
    06-03-09 12:55 PM
    Lol! That's what all men say when women are right! Lol!
    No, it's what we say when there is no sense arguing with insanity.
    06-03-09 02:39 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD