that pre+ is looking sweeter all the time. I don't think I can wait for BB to figure out their GUI strategy. Looks like webOS is going to win me over
    05-13-10 06:39 PM
    to jump to a device that's made by a company that was just acquired by another company which means their who philosophy will need to be worked out incorporated in to the new owners plans?

Riiiight.
    05-13-10 08:12 PM
    that might afffect the next weOS device, but the Pre Plus is an existing product. Seems like a good one to me.
    05-13-10 09:04 PM
    The Pre Plus isn't just a good product....it's a great one.

I'm speaking as a former Blackberry owner BTW. I had several Blackberries on both AT&T and T-Mobile and when it comes to fast email and relatively quick and easy messaging, they were of course superb.

For some other things they were good.....for a few others they were adequate....and for browsing and/or graphic applications, they were (sigh: it's hard to say this about my old Berries which served me well and I loved) subpar and antiquated.

Pre's have a ridiculously fine email system - and an outrageously great messaging system. But even more importantly they have a beautifully designed OS which is both enjoyable and astoundingly functional. More so in my opinion than iPhones - and light years ahead of Android phones which are fun to play around with but feel cobbled together from a million different sources with the only constant being nice Google Apps. But hey, every smartphone has nice Google Apps

And - if you check out the new review of the AT&T version of the Pre Plus over on precentral.com, you'll see that Dieter Bohn - who admittedly is a partisan of most things Pre - makes the same comment that a number of other often critical reviewers (including CNET's ultra-smart Bonnie Cha) have also noticed - namely that, in this latest build/version of the Palm Pre, many of the occasional problem areas of earlier Pre's - have now been vastly improved. Specifically with regards to hardware the sliders are much more solid - and the keyboard's overall handling and feel is way better.

To be honest, Pre keyboards will probably never be as good as Berries - but they're actually kind of fun and quite functional. Lack of Apps, a complaint of earlier Pre owners, is changing on a daily basis....they now number in the thousands and thanks to Pre's open architecture and huge and avid (and quite brilliant) community of user/developers, there are literally hundreds of complex and sophisticated free 'Homebrew' Apps with more every day. Statistically of course, there are way more iPhone Apps - and Android is starting to leapfrog over RIM in sheer App numbers - but IMHO there are a LOT of outrageously great Pre Apps around.

And - this may seem like an afterthought - but the wireless induction charging system - the Touchstone - is insanely cool and functional....and the fact that AT&T's giving them away for free with new Pre Plus purchases....is way sweet.

Everyone has different needs - and different phones meet different needs in different ways. But if you are a fan of WebOS - and you're on AT&T - it's (highly subjective personal opinion follows) an insanely great device....which also happens to be a fine phone.

Just my .02

Miguel
    05-14-10 01:38 AM
    wow, that sounds cool. but EVO looks cool too....
    05-14-10 08:38 AM
    Pre? EVO? i cant decide...
    05-14-10 11:34 AM
    or maybe the Kin-2??
    05-14-10 03:41 PM
    The KIN2 is a childs smartphone. I don't know how WebOS will play out on AT&T. VZW is selling it for a pittance compared to us. We'll see.....
    05-15-10 10:36 AM
    Not sure what I'm doing yet. I have drop my Sprint Pre to get it for AT&T.

Pre's have a ridiculously fine email system - and an outrageously great messaging system. But even more importantly they have a beautifully designed OS which is both enjoyable and astoundingly functional. More so in my opinion than iPhones - and light years ahead of Android phones which are fun to play around with but feel cobbled together from a million different sources with the only constant being nice Google Apps. But hey, every smartphone has nice Google Apps
    In what way does the email system of the Pre beat the iPhone? With 4.0, you'll even have a unified mailbox. The Pre doesn't even allow you to copy a selection of the email... the whole thing has to be copied, pasted and then edited. So if you get a password recovery email, have fun copying if it's a complex password.
    05-15-10 11:25 AM
    Moved to the WebOS section of the forums.
    05-15-10 11:31 AM

In what way does the email system of the Pre beat the iPhone? With 4.0, you'll even have a unified mailbox. The Pre doesn't even allow you to copy a selection of the email... the whole thing has to be copied, pasted and then edited. So if you get a password recovery email, have fun copying if it's a complex password.

That is not correct. Shift+tap lets you select a word. Shift+tap again and it selects just as shift+select does in windows. An dit has a unified inbox now (had it in june 2009. That is superior to future coming attraction on iPhone.
    05-16-10 05:44 AM
    selling both my e72 and 9700 to run with a pre+iphone combo. i've been waiting for the pre since july 09. FINALLY.
    05-16-10 09:42 AM
    It will be difficult for me to even consider the Palm Pre Plus for AT&T right now just becuase the BlackBerry slider is due out next month. It has the same form factor, revamped OS, and may not have the build quality issues that the pre has had in the past. Plus, the app catalog is still very weak right now and there doesn't seem like there is going to be a big push for developing apps soon. It is a cool device, but its coming a little late. If I were on AT&T with the slider, new Android devices, new iPhone, and WM7 coming soon, the Pre seems to be far below.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 10:58 AM

Just a clarification. If you read what I said - I never suggested that the Pre's email would "beat" the iPhone's. iPhone's have excellent email Apps. So do Blackberries! I'm not trying to either bash anyone else's email App - or suggest that my new Pre's is superior. All I was saying - and am saying - is that, being a heavy email user and depending on my phone's ability to sort and process and receive emails - that Pre's built-in native email App is powerful, cool and very easy to use.

I think those of us who use or have used Blackberries - for either a short period of time or a long period (and I had my BB's for years) get a little spoiled because we are used to powerful but easy-to-use email Apps/Systems. And once upon a time, years ago, Blackberry email was definitely the King of the Hill. Those days are gone now. iPhone's have fine email systems. Nokia's antiquated Symbian OS which is nonetheless functional has an excellent mail/message App that Nokia has built, Nokia/Ovi mail, which really works well and nicely. And - since this thread is talking about Palm Pre's - I'm pleased to report that for my extensive needs and uses and requirements, the Pre's Mail App is powerful, smooth, fast and easy to use. That's all.

Different phones have different uses and appeals for different people. Comparing Pre's to iPhones or Blackberries is a little like comparing Apples and Oranges - they both taste great, they're both fruits, and they're DIFFERENT from each other.

But for me the Pre is a powerful, quick, multi-feature OS - that is, an entire operating system - which makes not only the Mail and Messaging Apps easy and powerful - but also integrates them in nifty ways with Web Apps and many other Apps, thanks to the organic and (for me) way cool design of Palm's innovative WebOS.

It's really fun having a phone which can be easily and quickly and organically productive between multiple Apps in ways that seem intuitively simple but are actually designed from the ground up.

I hope the Blackberry OS can develop similar features. I personally find Android a little clunky and overly complex at times - and iPhones are incredibly easy to use and I might have considered getting one years ago....if it weren't for AT&T's pricing (way high), customer service (spotty and unsatisfactory, at least in the years I was an AT&T customer) and coverage (poor compared to both Verizon and Sprint, at least, in many of the parts of the Northwest where I live).

So....different strokes for different folks. But I LOVE my Pre.

Miguel
    05-16-10 05:03 PM
    But for me the Pre is a powerful, quick, multi-feature OS - that is, an entire operating system - which makes not only the Mail and Messaging Apps easy and powerful - but also integrates them in nifty ways with Web Apps and many other Apps, thanks to the organic and (for me) way cool design of Palm's innovative WebOS.

It's really fun having a phone which can be easily and quickly and organically productive between multiple Apps in ways that seem intuitively simple but are actually designed from the ground up.
    Wow, adjectives overkill...
    05-16-10 05:45 PM
    bought mine today after visiting like 5 stores. first four talked about how they weren't allowed to sell it off contract pricing yet. the first store went out as far as saying that the touchstone promotion was only for contract upgraders etc. i called the fifth store and talked to the manager, who was really cool. told me he would hold one for me, got to the store and he said the touchstone was included even on off contract pricing (which made my day). Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so they're shipping it to me.

the pre is so nice!!

build quality is really shotty though (few areas that creak, i was contemplating on exchanging it but i realized i was being too anal. phones plastic and is a slider, bound to have creaks).

signal strength is a bit odd. has four bars where my other phones have five.
    05-16-10 07:33 PM
    I got mine within ten minutes of the store opening. I got the only one. They put the other 3 on display , what a joke for an opening for the pre. Most stores only had 2-4 in stock and 1-3 went on display. What makes it even worse is most stores had the free touchstone out of stock. Thankfully the guy was nice about it and had it shipped to me, should be here within a week.
    Nice AT&T.

I have to agree with ipodlover, my signal has been out of whack, usually my house is 5 bars, ive been at 3 to 4. but i havent found anything wrong with my phone hardware wise, i would take it back. Being anal is the only way to go
    But other than that ive been loving the phone. Been messing around with it all day.
    05-16-10 09:23 PM
    I sold my 9700 today for the Pre+. I have had berries in the past and the 9700 was the best one.

After a while, the BB OS started to grow old on me but then so did the iphone os. There will always be good and bad aspects of a phone, that's why there so many out there.

I found webOS to be best mobile os at the moment. We all know the pros and cons of many OSes out there but for me (my personal needs), webOS is king. It blends functionality and form better than any other OS available. It's not as developed as other OSes but the potential of what it can do based on it's current stage is limitless.

check out the homebrew community contributions, it really is amazing the possibilities this OS brings. Hardware-wise, sure there was problems but what 1st gen product doesn't (let alone any product), but it's now in it's 3rd carrier and a years worth of feedback and I can safely say the hardware is solid.

No regret with this Pre+

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 11:30 PM
    That is not correct. Shift+tap lets you select a word. Shift+tap again and it selects just as shift+select does in windows. An dit has a unified inbox now (had it in june 2009. That is superior to future coming attraction on iPhone.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong? It shouldn't be that hard. I do the Shift+tap and it doesn't select "one word" ... Can you possibly send link me to a youtube video of this being done?

I've had the Pre since release day... I'm still wondering when I'll ever get my Gmail pushed to my Pre as fast as my iPhone.
    05-17-10 01:09 AM
    Just a clarification. If you read what I said - I never suggested that the Pre's email would "beat" the iPhone's. iPhone's have excellent email Apps. So do Blackberries! I'm not trying to either bash anyone else's email App - or suggest that my new Pre's is superior. All I was saying - and am saying - is that, being a heavy email user and depending on my phone's ability to sort and process and receive emails - that Pre's built-in native email App is powerful, cool and very easy to use.

So....different strokes for different folks. But I LOVE my Pre.

Miguel
    I understand you were not attempting to bash anything, nor did I mean to sound like that (if that was your POV), but wanted to know from your perspective the way in which the Pre's email system was powerful & why you preferred it.

For me, the email system on the Pre has been a disappointment. I have a BB, Pre, 3GS and Nexus One (being used on a daily basis) and for me, my favorite two for email is iPhone & BB. I have a lot of emails where I need to copy certain parts of an email and not a whole section, but it's not the easiest task (without using a workaround of hitting reply and then copying the one or two words I need). Also, I seem to get my Gmail faster on my iPhone than my 9700, but the Pre & Nexus come in a distant last place.
    05-17-10 01:23 AM
    I just got three in....no touchstone chargers...hmmmmmm
    05-17-10 12:21 PM
    I understand you were not attempting to bash anything, nor did I mean to sound like that (if that was your POV), but wanted to know from your perspective the way in which the Pre's email system was powerful & why you preferred it.

For me, the email system on the Pre has been a disappointment. I have a BB, Pre, 3GS and Nexus One (being used on a daily basis) and for me, my favorite two for email is iPhone & BB. I have a lot of emails where I need to copy certain parts of an email and not a whole section, but it's not the easiest task (without using a workaround of hitting reply and then copying the one or two words I need). Also, I seem to get my Gmail faster on my iPhone than my 9700, but the Pre & Nexus come in a distant last place.
    Text navigation also needs some serious work (unfortunately this is both a software and hardware problem).... Trying to edit text is a nightmare..

Synergy is a great idea, but it's implementation is very frustrating the way it forces you to link ALL imported contacts to something, even if it's just chat handles...
    05-17-10 12:57 PM
    left my Bold 9700 in the dust for the Pre+.

it's awesome. what i loved about the BB was the keyboard and superior email. but of course the BB lacked in every other department. browsing is impossible on that, and apps just aren't as smooth. something with the OS... and i really hated the trackpad...

the keyboard on the Pre is not as good, but in time i think typing will become second nature. having a touchscreen boosts the usability 10-fold.

the UI on the Pre is just unmatched by any. i had the iphone 3g and 3gs, but this blows it out of the water.

i'm a happy convert
    05-17-10 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD