Why is it that I can get a decent laptop and a really nice pc with monitor for under 600$, but when it comes to cell phones I find myself paying 600$+ now a days?

I understand it's smaller and prices go up etc, but with the price of computers, cameras, tv's and every other electronic price going down, why is it that cell phones only get more expensive as times go on?
    01-25-10 01:28 PM
    Good old supply and demand...
    01-25-10 01:55 PM
    Because they keep getting more features and getting smaller and people like you always want the latest
    01-25-10 02:14 PM
    Subsidization probably doesn't help.

If laptops were sold to other distributors, who then marked down the prices significantly and used required monthly plans to make the money back, they would probably cost more in the first place as well.
    01-25-10 02:22 PM
    Why is it that I can get a decent laptop and a really nice pc with monitor for under 600$, but when it comes to cell phones I find myself paying 600$+ now a days?

I understand it's smaller and prices go up etc, but with the price of computers, cameras, tv's and every other electronic price going down, why is it that cell phones only get more expensive as times go on?
    Are you going to be shifting gears on the development front?
    01-25-10 08:40 PM
    Are you going to be shifting gears on the development front?
    I'm not sure...

I will still be programming for blackberry, but I'm going to test the market on the palm. They have over 1 million users and only 1100 applications. That seems like an untapped market to me.
    01-25-10 10:17 PM
    I have no idea if it's still true, but back in the days of PalmOS it sure was a nice platform to code on. Those guys really know how to write an OS and services.
    01-26-10 03:55 AM
    I'm not sure...

I will still be programming for blackberry, but I'm going to test the market on the palm. They have over 1 million users and only 1100 applications. That seems like an untapped market to me.
    It definitely looks that way to me as well. I would love to see some of your apps ported to the pre platform.
    01-26-10 06:35 AM
    I have no idea if it's still true, but back in the days of PalmOS it sure was a nice platform to code on. Those guys really know how to write an OS and services.
    I'm still trying to get the hang of things, but wow it's so much easier to program on the web OS then blackberry. Each application is pretty much a website. So if you know basic html / javascript you can create an application.
    01-26-10 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD