kay so i have a blackberry curve 8330 now and i'm thinking of buying a palm pixi at full retail price which is only like $380 so it's pretty cheap for an unlocked smartphone.

i was wondering if anyone on here has owned either a blackberry then a palm phone (only pre or pixi - none of that old stuff) or just a palm phone.

what made the switch good? bad?

what do you like about palm? dislike? whats the os like?

thanks guys.

p.s. i love my 8330 cept the browser is just horrible and the horrible 4.5 (or .6) OS is getting to me.
    Last edited by Raymonddd; 03-18-10 at 08:42 PM.
    03-18-10 08:33 PM
    I think it's actually cheaper to pay the ETF and buy the subsidized pixi+ for $30....

There are quite a few threads on here on the likes and dislikes of the webOs phones.
    03-18-10 08:48 PM
    I think it's actually cheaper to pay the ETF and buy the subsidized pixi+ for $30....

There are quite a few threads on here on the likes and dislikes of the webOs phones.
    Well my contract isn't up for about a year so I can't really upgrade then terminate. And $380 is pretty low anyways.

Do you know if Verizon would sell me a used Pixi Plus for full retail price minus some amount considering its used? haha.
    03-18-10 09:13 PM
    kay so i have a blackberry curve 8330 now and i'm thinking of buying a palm pixi at full retail price which is only like $380 so it's pretty cheap for an unlocked smartphone.

i was wondering if anyone on here has owned either a blackberry then a palm phone (only pre or pixi - none of that old stuff) or just a palm phone.

thanks guys.

p.s. i love my 8330 cept the browser is just horrible and the horrible 4.5 (or .6) OS is getting to me.
    I have the Palm Pre Plus, I actually did a renew/extend my contract. My previous phone was the Storm. Since I have the family plan and my account is primary I can renew/extend my contract yearly (yea it reset ne2, but my storm was dying anyways).

Browsing is way, way, better. Browsing just works, I've used Opera mini/etc and they just don't compare. While BB's have multitasking I never felt that it made much of a difference, while using the pre I feel the total opposite.

Unfortunately battery life is worse, I just got the device today, but it's obvious. I'll know for sure in a week, but I can safely say, I'm going to get less battery life (for 2 reasons, I play with it more, and it eats the battery).

It doesn't seem to be as good at email, I can't seem to delete multiple messages at a time and it seems clunky at times (although you can swipe them, I just found that out, that'll help). It does link accounts without any pain, in fact it was easier than when I set up the storm.
    03-18-10 10:03 PM
    Well my contract isn't up for about a year so I can't really upgrade then terminate. And $380 is pretty low anyways.

Do you know if Verizon would sell me a used Pixi Plus for full retail price minus some amount considering its used? haha.
    No i mean terminate now and get the phone under new contract price
    03-18-10 10:24 PM
    No i mean terminate now and get the phone under new contract price
    well i'm a secondary account so i don't think i can do that.

plus if the fee is $350 and the pixi is free, it's a saving of $30 and that really isn't worth all the trouble.

thanks tho.

and thecold, are you gonna buy an extended battery?
    03-18-10 10:55 PM
    Switch was really good
    03-19-10 12:41 AM
    Switch was really good
    from a bb to a pixi plus?

what do you like about the pixi? wish it had? etc.

03-19-10 10:09 AM
    well i'm a secondary account so i don't think i can do that.

plus if the fee is $350 and the pixi is free, it's a saving of $30 and that really isn't worth all the trouble.

thanks tho.

and thecold, are you gonna buy an extended battery?
    I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on the first week of usage. Since I'm day 2 it's a little to early for me to say that. Even though the seido 1350 mah battery does look nice.

The other thing I noticed is notifications, The BB led is placed in the right spot, if your device is for email/messaging and phone only the BB is the better device. That's is where that ends. I was playing the demo of Assasins Creed and the graphics are pretty good, probably comparable to the psp I used to own (I gave it to my brother in law who was in much more need of it). I've already commented on the browser.
    03-19-10 10:54 AM
    1350 won't cut it tbh. I had the 2600mah, which basically makes it easy to last through a single day of usage. The thing eats batteries for breakfast.
    03-19-10 12:45 PM
    1350 won't cut it tbh. I had the 2600mah, which basically makes it easy to last through a single day of usage. The thing eats batteries for breakfast.
    Ehh, you must use your smartphone ALOT. It looks like it will make the day, just barely, but it'll make it. My usage isn't light, but it isn't heavy either.
    03-19-10 01:08 PM
    Ehh, you must use your smartphone ALOT. It looks like it will make the day, just barely, but it'll make it. My usage isn't light, but it isn't heavy either.
    Moderate usage. Perhaps if you spend most of the day in an area with good signal. But if you are in an indoor area with bad reception, the phone will drain even basically idling.

Also the browser + wifi really, really kills the battery, even if you just do occasional short browsing. Pandora can run down the phone in a matter of a few hours probably....

Also depends on what your email retrieval settings are...
    03-19-10 01:18 PM
    Moderate usage. Perhaps if you spend most of the day in an area with good signal. But if you are in an indoor area with bad reception, the phone will drain even basically idling.

Also the browser + wifi really, really kills the battery, even if you just do occasional short browsing. Pandora can run down the phone in a matter of a few hours probably....

Also depends on what your email retrieval settings are...
    I don't use wifi. I'm lazy and even setting up wifi is something I don't do. I live an area with Very Good reception.

I've been on and off it all day, browsing. Like I said I won't know the real damage until this week is gone by. Also I don't listen to music... so that's hard for me to gauge. I did play some 3d games though.
    03-19-10 01:58 PM
    If you do something that routinely uses the radio, the phone will start to get pretty warm within a few minutes and you'll start getting some massive battery drain.
    03-19-10 02:15 PM

thanks guys.

If I were in your position, I wouldn't try to switch devices right now. It seems like it will become a costly endeavor. To go from an 8330 to a Palm Pixi isn't worth doling out the type of money you will need to, to make it happen. Other than the browser and media player, the Pixi is not as good as the BlackBerry that you already have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 06:35 AM
    I have a Palm Pre with Sprint and about to switch to a 8330 to wait for the Essex.

The problem with the WebOS is that is it just too slow. Takes 2-4 sec to pull up your calendar at times, and even the dialer app is slow. 2-4 secs might not seem like its a lot, but its quite a bit when you're in a social/professional setting.
    03-25-10 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD