I love my blackberry storm but wanted to check out the hype on the new palm pre and well lets say it looked and felt like a toy. i thought i was going to break it. as far as the apps go not totally impressed it has some cool things but love my storm. it is tiny too
    06-08-09 03:32 PM
    I love my blackberry storm but wanted to check out the hype on the new palm pre and well lets say it looked and felt like a toy. i thought i was going to break it. as far as the apps go not totally impressed it has some cool things but love my storm. it is tiny too
    The biggest difference between the storm and the pre I sthat the pre works....

Also, I'm not sure how one can say the storm hardware is so much better than the pre's... No proximity sensor, light sensor, and the click mechanism has been shown to wear down over time. On my old storm, I had to press things multiple times for them to register. People talked about their front buttons falling off, dust under the screen, and having to use a business card to fix the crappy screen. But I'm sure your storm is perfect and has never had any issues, so have fun at the storm forum!
    06-08-09 03:55 PM
    Yes some of us have not had any hardware issues. No need to bash op.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 04:21 PM
    I never bashed anyone, actually.
    06-08-09 04:24 PM

Also, I'm not sure how one can say the storm hardware is so much better than the pre's... No proximity sensor, light sensor, and the click mechanism has been shown to wear down over time. On my old storm, I had to press things multiple times for them to register. People talked about their front buttons falling off, dust under the screen, and having to use a business card to fix the crappy screen. But I'm sure your storm is perfect and has never had any issues, so have fun at the storm forum!
    That has nothing to do with initial hardware quality. And no one has used the Pre for a longer period of time, so you do'nt know that these things won't happen to a Pre out there.

Just looking at the two phones straight out of the box, the Pre feels much cheaper. It really feels like a toy. (Can't think of a better way to describe the feeling I got.)
    06-12-09 10:09 PM
    That has nothing to do with initial hardware quality. And no one has used the Pre for a longer period of time, so you do'nt know that these things won't happen to a Pre out there.

Just looking at the two phones straight out of the box, the Pre feels much cheaper. It really feels like a toy. (Can't think of a better way to describe the feeling I got.)
    Actually, it does. How many complaints were there from people that the click screen didn't work properly out of the box? A search on any Storm Forum will reveal many. The buttons on my Storm never worked properly, and many people had buttons FALL OFF of their Storms. So it isn't as if the Storm had or has a great build quality that all phones should aspire to.

I personally don't think the Pre feels cheap at all, or like a toy.
    06-13-09 01:39 AM
    Were glad you personally feel that way about yours, but the complaints are already rolling in- Pre screens (light leaks around the frame and yellow tinted screens), wobbly sliders, etc. Complaints about the tiny gel-like keyboard, sharp edges on the bottom slide portion, etc. And thats just hardware complaints outside the software complaints and bugs.

The Pre is far from its share of problems already being 6 days in, its far from perfect as you seem to want to make it.
    06-13-09 02:00 AM
    Were glad you personally feel that way about yours, but the complaints are already rolling in- Pre screens (light leaks around the frame and yellow tinted screens), wobbly sliders, etc. Complaints about the tiny gel-like keyboard, sharp edges on the bottom slide portion, etc. And thats just hardware complaints outside the software complaints and bugs.

The Pre is far from its share of problems already being 6 days in, its far from perfect as you seem to want to make it.
    I didn't say it was perfect. And, just as it was with the Storm and iPhone, there are phones out there that have issues (issues that were also found on the Storm and iPhone). My point was not that the Pre is perfect, but that it isn't really any different in the kinds of complaints it is getting than the Storm was (though, to be honest, most of what I've seen are hardware complaints--I've seen very few software complaints).
    06-13-09 02:10 AM
    Not a fanboy of anything, and wife is waiting on her pre, but will you kindly explain to me what does NOT work on my Storm?

Appreciate the input ... I may be missing something in everyday use.
    06-13-09 07:33 AM
    Any way u wanna put it Palm=Junk. Pure and utter junk.

06-13-09 08:38 AM

Wrong.

People have been complaining about build quality since release day.

So to say it's to soon to judge the Pre would be wrong.

Atleast when comparing it to the Storm.

Try again.
    06-13-09 10:39 AM
    I really don't get it how people can form an opinion based on five minutes of useage at their local sprint stores. Be aware that so many people go there that after the 200, the pre is probably in bad shape. I went to see it last week and I was pretty impressed with what I saw. Sure the app store is pretty sad right now, but its a start. I'm actually thinking of moving my service with spring because of the pre.

06-13-09 11:34 AM
    Trying to argue that the Pre is better than the Storm, is like trying to argue that the Ford Pinto is better than the Gremlin...

As for the the OP's comments, you are correct. The Pre feels cheap. Way too small to be completely functional and efficient. There are complaints about cracked screens from normal pocket carry, hot units, poor battery performance (unless you turn off most, if not all of the features that make it a cutting edge smartphone), poor cell reception, and on and on and on and that doesn't mention anything about the shortcomings of the OS.
    06-13-09 11:37 AM
    This argument is almost just like everyday Engadget comment wars. Ignorant Blackberry users looking to bash anything that threatens their beloved device.

As for the the OP's comments, you are correct. The Pre feels cheap. Way too small to be completely functional and efficient. There are complaints about cracked screens from normal pocket carry, hot units, poor battery performance (unless you turn off most, if not all of the features that make it a cutting edge smartphone), poor cell reception, and on and on and on and that doesn't mention anything about the shortcomings of the OS.
    "Way too small to be completely functional and efficient" - What? Because a phone isn't huge, it can't be completely functional or efficient? Last I checked, the Pre had a smoking fast processor and the best (and fastest) web browser on the market.

I don't know about the cracked screens or hot units, but poor battery performance is a complaint among Blackberries as well. Shut your mouth.

Poor cell reception? That's not the Pre's fault, it's Sprint. And you know AT&T's 3G and the whole 3.6Mbps/7.2Mbps HSDPA? Yeah, no. It feels like my Bold is faster on EDGE than it is on 3G, no matter where I am. Sprint's 1.4Mbps EV-DO was faster to resolve hostnames and load content than my Bold ever has been, even in a 5-bar 3G area. As far as I'm concerned, if you have a Pre in a good coverage area, you'll be fine with the data speed and cell reception.

Shortcomings of the OS? You're kidding, right? WebOS is indescribably easier to develop for than RIM's outdated J2ME. The productivity possible with a Pre is almost on-par with my Blackberry Bold (with one of the best firmwares on it). Synergy, while lacking in some areas (like choosing WHO to sync from Facebook) hasn't been done in its entirety on any other platform. There are many other things that I haven't touched on, and yes, there ARE problems with the Pre, but that's why there are OTA updates and a committed manufacturer.

I love my Bold and the only phone I'd give it up for is the Pre (or Eos, when AT&T picks it up), but lighten up and at least TRY to see the other side of the river? Nobody likes a biased, ignorant, Blackberry-totin' doofus. You're almost as bad as iPhone diehards. At least we have a physical keyboard.
    Last edited by yokken; 06-13-09 at 12:16 PM.
    06-13-09 12:13 PM
    This argument is almost just like everyday Engadget comment wars. Ignorant Blackberry users looking to bash anything that threatens their beloved device.

"Way too small to be completely functional and efficient" - What? Because a phone isn't huge, it can't be completely functional or efficient? Last I checked, the Pre had a smoking fast processor and the best (and fastest) web browser on the market.

I don't know about the cracked screens or hot units, but poor battery performance is a complaint among Blackberries as well. Shut your mouth.

Poor cell reception? That's not the Pre's fault, it's Sprint. And you know AT&T's 3G and the whole 3.6Mbps/7.2Mbps HSDPA? Yeah, no. It feels like my Bold is faster on EDGE than it is on 3G, no matter where I am. Sprint's 1.4Mbps EV-DO was faster to resolve hostnames and load content than my Bold ever has been, even in a 5-bar 3G area. As far as I'm concerned, if you have a Pre in a good coverage area, you'll be fine with the data speed and cell reception.

Shortcomings of the OS? You're kidding, right? WebOS is indescribably easier to develop for than RIM's outdated J2ME. The productivity possible with a Pre is almost on-par with my Blackberry Bold (with one of the best firmwares on it). Synergy, while lacking in some areas (like choosing WHO to sync from Facebook) hasn't been done in its entirety on any other platform. There are many other things that I haven't touched on, and yes, there ARE problems with the Pre, but that's why there are OTA updates and a committed manufacturer.

I love my Bold and the only phone I'd give it up for is the Pre (or Eos, when AT&T picks it up), but lighten up and at least TRY to see the other side of the river? Nobody likes a biased, ignorant, Blackberry-totin' doofus. You're almost as bad as iPhone diehards. At least we have a physical keyboard.
    Man, you have some issues. Lighten up. Most (if not all) of your arguments are so silly and easy to prove wrong, it's like shooting fish in a barrel).

Yes. It's too small. The keyboard is way too tiny to crank out emails and other work related tasks, unless you're a manlet.

Poor battery life with BB's? Compare the Curve's battery life with everything on and functional to a Pre with everything on and functional. The Curve will win hands down by a windfall. What was that "shut up" part again?

Yes, poor cell reception, and NO it isn't Sprint's fault. There are lots of people complaining that they could use their BlackBerry or other phone just fine at home, but after getting the Pre, they have had major issues with reception. Perhaps you need to go over and read the Pre forums about all of these concerns. You really have your head in the clouds.

Yes, problems with the OS. Even simple PIM items like tasks and memos don't work properly, nor do they sync properly. In addition, corporate users on EAS are having major problems getting the phone to even connect to their mail system without disabling all sorts of security features. Palm has no fix for this.

I feel for you if you give up a Bold for a Pre, but- hey, you've proven you're not a power user at all if you can't even answer such basic questions accurately. I HAVE considered the other side. That's why I know so much about the other side. Get it? Duh. Move along young one. "Much to learn you have"...
    06-13-09 02:45 PM
    I'm curious Yokken..

You must already develop apps for the Pre and the BB, otherwise you'd have no clue what you're spouting off about...
    06-13-09 07:48 PM
    I'm curious Yokken..

You must already develop apps for the Pre and the BB, otherwise you'd have no clue what you're spouting off about...
    I've been using HTML, CSS, XML, and Javascript for about ten years, and I've attempted to write a Blackberry application. Okay, so I haven't made one- isn't that my point? It's too hard to develop for, and outdated to say the least.
    06-13-09 10:49 PM
    J2me is not hard to develop for and the RIM provided jde isn't that complicated for basic use other than the install prereqs

06-13-09 11:00 PM
    Yes. It's too small. The keyboard is way too tiny to crank out emails and other work related tasks, unless you're a manlet
    The keyboard is perfectly fine. I can still type at a reasonable speed, although I am still getting used to the layout (in terms of punctuation and symbols).

Poor battery life with BB's? Compare the Curve's battery life with everything on and functional to a Pre with everything on and functional. The Curve will win hands down by a windfall. What was that "shut up" part again?
    Yes Curves would have better battery life, but then again there's still the possibility for OS optimization.

Yes, poor cell reception, and NO it isn't Sprint's fault. There are lots of people complaining that they could use their BlackBerry or other phone just fine at home, but after getting the Pre, they have had major issues with reception. Perhaps you need to go over and read the Pre forums about all of these concerns. You really have your head in the clouds.
    You got me there. But then again, I'm getting better reception with my Pre than my Curve. I used to constantly switch between roaming and 0-1 bars on my Curve. Now I get a constant 2-3 bars on my Pre.

Yes, problems with the OS. Even simple PIM items like tasks and memos don't work properly, nor do they sync properly. In addition, corporate users on EAS are having major problems getting the phone to even connect to their mail system without disabling all sorts of security features. Palm has no fix for this.
    Don't work properly? They work just fine. I don't know about syncing, since I don't sync my task or notes. And Palm already stated they are coming out with a fix to better support EAS.

The BlackBerry is the go to device for business-centric users. Only recently has RIM gone towards being more consumer-centric. On the other hand, the Pre is supposed to be a balance between work and play.

And while my Curve is probably better at work-related tasks, the Pre still has some things over the Curve:
    -I can install the 30 apps currently available in the App Catalog and still have plenty of room
    -EV-DO Rev A and 802.11 b/g WiFi
    -Native browser built on WebKit with support for Flash by the end of the year
    -Native YouTube app
    -Much better camera
    -OTA updates
    06-13-09 11:08 PM
    It shouldn't be any surprise that a pre released a matter of days ago is better than a 2 year old BB Curve...

06-13-09 11:29 PM
    It shouldn't be any surprise that a pre released a matter of days ago is better than a 2 year old BB Curve...

hehe After 3 weeks of Pre use they will be over the pretty and wake up...at least real BB users that defected will.
    For now their on Palm cloud 9 BBs in trouble
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-14-09 at 12:45 AM.
    06-14-09 12:41 AM
    The keyboard is perfectly fine. I can still type at a reasonable speed, although I am still getting used to the layout (in terms of punctuation and symbols).
    Excelent.
    when it comes to symbols Palm will be adding smileys in next update.

Yes Curves would have better battery life, but then again there's still the possibility for OS optimization.
    hmm I heard palm was going to make that fix in next update.

You got me there. But then again, I'm getting better reception with my Pre than my Curve. I used to constantly switch between roaming and 0-1 bars on my Curve. Now I get a constant 2-3 bars on my Pre.
    Good to hear ,Not many pre owners can say the same..at least in Treo Central Pre forums.

Don't work properly? They work just fine. I don't know about syncing, since I don't sync my task or notes. And Palm already stated they are coming out with a fix to better support EAS.
    Yeah they will come out with it in next update.

The BlackBerry is the go to device for business-centric users. Only recently has RIM gone towards being more consumer-centric. On the other hand, the Pre is supposed to be a balance between work and play..
    keep us filled in how pre has increased your work productivity.

And while my Curve is probably better at work-related tasks, the Pre still has some things over the Curve:
    -I can install the 30 apps currently available in the App Catalog and still have plenty of room
    -EV-DO Rev A and 802.11 b/g WiFi
    -Native browser built on WebKit with support for Flash by the end of the year
    -Native YouTube app
    -Much better camera

-OTA updates
    (-EV-DO Rev A and 802.11 b/g WiFi) -I agree

(-Native browser built on WebKit with support for Flash by the end of the year) -Yeah palm will have another update for that.

(-Native YouTube app) - Pre doesn't have real profile ,Alerts stink to high heaven..whats more important to you?
    I know Palm will have update for those issues.

(-Much better camera)- Pre camera takes for ever to load up and has no video camera....I know I know Palm will have update for that.

You can throw the prettiest UI on device but if its lacking basics its worthless.
    You will learn that Palm totally slacks on updates...the worst in the industry.

I really do wish you luck though.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-14-09 at 01:51 AM.
    06-14-09 01:16 AM
    Yeah, hopefully they buck their old trend on updates...

06-14-09 04:09 AM
    Here you go. Look at all the problems. Makes the Storm look flawless. Thanks Palm. We knew you could under deliver.

webOS Hardware - Palm Support Forums
    06-14-09 06:18 AM
    Here you go. Look at all the problems. Makes the Storm look flawless. Thanks Palm. We knew you could under deliver.

webOS Hardware - Palm Support Forums
    Great Link and thanks.

I'm on Bell waiting for the Tour and or Pre release.

I keep thinking about the coolness of the Pre but if it doesn't perform consistently and there are hardware reliability issues then I have to go with the BB Tour. Not as much flash but a solid device that does what I need it to do.
    Sometimes I wish I wasn't a business guy requiring a well constructed phone with great messaging/push email ;-)
    06-14-09 09:02 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD