| | 02-09-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Author #1
Bold 9000 User Trying Pre Plus, Not Liking It
I have been using a Bold 9000 for 1Ĺ years, got it for only $80, and have been just fine with it, after having used the Curve/8310 for about 8 months prior to that. I fly all over the place with it, using Snaptu to access Facebook (I have generic data vs Blackberry-specific, the Facebook app doesn't work), texting, using Opera Mini & Bolt Browser, the GMail app and Google Maps.
I was a Palm Treo 680 fan before & was always intrigued with the Pre as Palm's "comeback attempt" & heard great things about it, I picked up a Pre Plus (AT&T) today for $100 and thought I'd try it out. But I'm really having difficulty. Among the issues:
(1) As great as the browser is, the text doesn't "wrap to fit" as you zoom-in, you have to pan & scan just to read the block of text, whereas Opera Mini on my Bold does it the way I expect
(2) Google Maps seems much more stripped. No favorites, no memory of prior searches, no ability to scroll to a spot on the map & search to that place
(3) For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the address bar to come up on the browser while I'm at a page. I have to shut it down and start over just to enter a URL
(4) I wish I could find a way to have the screen lock to horizontal or vertical, I don't find it to flip with me quickly. I find myself going "flip, FLIP, FLIP!!" a lot.
(5) With the browser, I can't find a way to pull up the search feature I have in Opera Mini (as the little drop-down on the right-hand side). Also, no tabbed browsing which I see.
(6) Where do I find the apps to download for it, besides the App Catalog link on the phone?
(7) As much as the Pre's browser looks so much better than the Opera Mini on the Bold, I browse with the Bold much quicker & more intuitively. I scroll up & down with the numeric keypad, zoom in & out with the 5 day (and scroll down with the space bar) & backup to previous pages REAL easily on my Bold 9000. I don't mind "swiping" and "pinch to zoom," but I fly all over the place so much quicker with the Opera Mini-Bold 9000 setup.
I posted a detailed "new user, help needed" post at precentral.net, but no help so far.
It surprises me how difficult of a time I'm having figuring out such simple things, when I figured out the Palm Treo 680 very quickly, and the Curve & Bold pretty quickly as well. Thing is, despite that, and my realizing that the Android, iPhone and Blackberry have much more support, I hear such good things about the Pre Plus--and I'm something of a Palm fan from having used the 680 before--that I really want to give it a try.
But at the moment, I'm preferring the 9000, and if I were to upgrade, inclined to sell all out & just get a Torch 9800.