I have a few doubts about my Jolla, if anyone of you have it please help me out.
    I just got a limited edition Jolla Salfish smartphone, but the problem is, I cannot swipe down from the top when on an app to "Close" an app(not minimise), when I do that, the app is just minimised into cards and not closed. And I cannot swipe down from the top on the home screen to lock the display or to turn of the display as seen in YouTube videos. Why is that? Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:38 AM
    havent got my hands on a jolla phone yet but maybe soon. how is it?
    10-15-14 05:07 PM
    Doesn't the OS come with any built in tutorials? Or a manual?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-15-14 05:16 PM

Polite way of saying RTFM.
    10-15-14 05:19 PM
    Guys, thank you but I found out, there was an option for it under settings, it was disabled :P.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 07:31 PM
    havent got my hands on a jolla phone yet but maybe soon. how is it?
    I love it, it's not as productive as my Q10, it can never be. But I love to play with that phone and use it for apps and games, and I love the ways to navigate in that OS. I got a VIP edition, so I have 4 "Other Half's". Poppy red and White other half makes my Jolla look sexy .
    I have rooted my Jolla and installed PlayStore. Android apps run as though it is a native app cuz it opens up so fast and runs without any lags or hiccups. It runs Android apps way better than on BB10(the only app that I tried, which did not work, is Chrome Browser, the app does open, but doesn't load any pages. But it works on my Q10, not smooth enough). No lags while gaming, ex Modern Combat 4, my Q10 generates unplayable fps for that game. So because of that I have removed most of the android apps from my Q10 and installed it on my Jolla. The audio output isn't that loud, it's below average. Display is nothing to boast of, cuz of the qHD resolution on 4.5in screen, but because of it, it gets great battery life. Video playback look good though. Camera quality is nowhere near my Q10's. When zoomed it, I loses a lot of details where my Q10 manages crisp shots even though both have 8mp resolution camera. But under adequate lighting conditions the pics taken are good. One thing I like about the Camera app on Jolla than my Q10 is, the ways to tweak the camera. We can change the ISO settings and the exposure level to get better shots at times. Those who know how to make use of this settings can get some good results but I don't know, so yeah .
    And another problem is, some docs and pdf files won't open, it force closes when I click on it. No idea why, cuz some files(doc n Pdf) do open! :S so it can be unreliable at times. The video app can become buggy, it may not let me forward or rewind, the app can get unresponsive too, but this can be solved by a reboot.
    Cannot open the pull down shortcuts from the top, while the phone is locked using a password, the whole point of those shortcuts is to open it as fast as possible under certain circumstances?! :P
    But overall I love the device, I will continue to use it for my android apps and games, and Q10 for pretty much every other things. And Q10 will always be my Primary Device ^_*.
    Would love to do a Video comparison Review between the two but am busy with University exams right now, hopefully can do it after a month.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat and Nature Slice like this.
    10-15-14 07:55 PM

It does come with built in tutorials when it starts up for the first time, but only for basic options, like how to use it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 07:58 PM
    Hi there
    I am following jolla and sailfish OS too.
    I would like to ask, after using sailfish, which idea do you think is implemented better?

Jolla swipe from side to peek, and minimise applications. Swipe from top to close apps, swipe from bottom to see notifications. And the app cover actions where you can swipe the app cover to launch things

OR

BlackBerry peek and hub, BlackBerry swipe up from bottom to minimise apps and active frames press X to close?

I was wondering about this but didn't come across anyone who uses both OSes!

Thanks and good luck with your university exams. The video can wait

Posted with my BlackBerry
    10-15-14 10:59 PM
    Hi there
    I am following jolla and sailfish OS too.
    I would like to ask, after using sailfish, which idea do you think is implemented better?

Jolla swipe from side to peek, and minimise applications. Swipe from top to close apps, swipe from bottom to see notifications. And the app cover actions where you can swipe the app cover to launch things

OR

BlackBerry peek and hub, BlackBerry swipe up from bottom to minimise apps and active frames press X to close?

I was wondering about this but didn't come across anyone who uses both OSes!

Thanks and good luck with your university exams. The video can wait

I like the peek functionality on BB10 better than the swipe up from the Jolla, it's cuz there is a flow in this.
    And for the closing of apps, I like the way Jolla does it, swipe from top and it's closed, but the swipe from the left/right for the Jolla to minimize the app is almost the same as BB10's swipe up to minimize(jolla's is a bit more easier cuz it's on the side and we don't have to reach the bottom of the screen, for Q10 it's no prob, but on Z30 it might, no big deal though). Yeah, so I don't have a favourite here, the funny thing is, I try to minimize the app on my BlackBerry using the swipe left/right feature :P, I don't swipe up on my Jolla! :S.
    And I love the swipe from top to lock/turn off the display! Wish my BlackBerry had it. But I don't really like the double tap to turn on the display, it works but there's a 1 second lag, once you get used to it, it's no issue, but I like the way BlackBerry does it!

Posted via CB10
    Nature Slice likes this.
    10-16-14 07:48 PM
    And for the closing of apps, I like the way Jolla does it, swipe from top and it's closed,

I try to minimize the app on my BlackBerry using the swipe left/right feature :P, I don't swipe up on my Jolla! :S.

And I love the swipe from top to lock/turn off the display! Wish my BlackBerry had it. But I don't really like the double tap to turn on the display, it works but there's a 1 second lag, once you get used to it, it's no issue, but I like the way BlackBerry does it!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes I think swiping down the close apps on jolla is much faster, like meego on the Nokia N9. Unfortunately blackberry left that swipe down function for more settings and the 2 finger swipe down for quick settings. (Maybe in the future, a 2 finger swipe up from the bottom of the screen closed the app ?)

I was quite surprised that you got used to the swipe from left or right to minimise app function! Because from some reviews of jolla they stated that it was not very intuitive and was strange to do that.

I also find it weird for most phoned to wake the display via taps or gestures, but can't turn the screen off, so people end up still using the power button to do these . Only LG can double tap to wake and double tap to off screen, and Jolla swipe down to off screen.

I hope blackberry adds a quick setting which an option to lock and turn the device screen off in the future

What about the pulley menu idea? Was it intuitive?

10-16-14 08:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes I think swiping down the close apps on jolla is much faster, like meego on the Nokia N9. Unfortunately blackberry left that swipe down function for more settings and the 2 finger swipe down for quick settings. (Maybe in the future, a 2 finger swipe up from the bottom of the screen closed the app ?)

I was quite surprised that you got used to the swipe from left or right to minimise app function! Because from some reviews of jolla they stated that it was not very intuitive and was strange to do that.

I also find it weird for most phoned to wake the display via taps or gestures, but can't turn the screen off, so people end up still using the power button to do these . Only LG can double tap to wake and double tap to off screen, and Jolla swipe down to off screen.

I hope blackberry adds a quick setting which an option to lock and turn the device screen off in the future

What about the pulley menu idea? Was it intuitive?

BlackBerry could have implemented the swipe down feature from the middle of the app to access settings like Jolla. I love that feature.
    Jolla could have implemented the swipe up feature to unlock, but since BlackBerry already had it before them, so it would be like "copying", even though BlackBerry is the one who ripped of all the swiping features from WebOS and Meego!
    The pulley menu is actually useful at the same time useless too, as mentioned on my "small review" of the Jolla, we cannot access it when our device is password locked, so that makes it pointless. And when on the main screen, there are like 2 screens, one is the app drawer, swipe up to view the active frames page and again swipe up for a blank page like BB10's "home page". So we have to swipe up 2 times to access it. It's useful if we have a lot of apps and can't seem to find out where a particular app is. I don't really need it, but I just try to use it just for the sake of it and to get used to it :P.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 09:01 PM
    Oh I see. Nice

Heard that for the development of BlackBerry 10 there were meego employees helping.

Yup they are similar

10-17-14 06:53 AM

OR

I prefer BB10's peek and Jolla's swipe from top to close an app - guess that's what you call a tie
    The one thing I like better on the Jolla are the gestures on the active frames, e.g. swipe left to right on the minimized email app to create a new message and swipe right to left to check for new mails. That's something I would love to see on BB10 as well.

Also, unrelated to the gestures, Jolla performs Android apps a lot better. I just installed candy crush saga on my Z10 (using snap) and on my Jolla (from the aptoide app store) and to my surprise, the Jolla totally outperforms the Z10. Might be hardware related, but I also suspect a slightly different (and potentially better optimized) software stack for android apps on the Jolla.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 01:14 PM
    I prefer BB10's peek and Jolla's swipe from top to close an app - guess that's what you call a tie
    The one thing I like better on the Jolla are the gestures on the active frames, e.g. swipe left to right on the minimized email app to create a new message and swipe right to left to check for new mails. That's something I would love to see on BB10 as well.

Also, unrelated to the gestures, Jolla performs Android apps a lot better. I just installed candy crush saga on my Z10 (using snap) and on my Jolla (from the aptoide app store) and to my surprise, the Jolla totally outperforms the Z10. Might be hardware related, but I also suspect a slightly different (and potentially better optimized) software stack for android apps on the Jolla.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I see, thanks.
    I think it's the software... I saw videos jolla ran android apps.. seem to be quite smooth yet jolla has an inferior processor and lower ram.

11-24-14 05:45 AM