Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ATV_Hightower
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Taking my 9360 to Germany (from Canada) - how to

I will be travelling in Germany for a few months, and would like to take my unlocked BB with me and use (mostly) BBM, some text & email.

I'm with Telus (Canadian carriers = OVERPRICED), and the cheapest they can do for me is $15/MB in europe, PLus other voice charges, etc. YUK.

If I *KEPT* my Telus account active, but purchased a prepaid DATA+VOICE sim in Germany and plugged it into my BB, would BBM still work with my existing BBM account in Germany?

I don't know if the carriers detects/blocks BB data transfer from a different sim, etc.

CONFUSED...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Should be possible

Hey,
    As I know you shoud be able to use your BB here in Germany, depending on the Carrier.
    Just Data+Voice Plan isnīt enough, you need the special BlackBerry Option and the only Carrier with prepaid BlackBerry Option is Vodafone Germany.

I think there should be no problem using your BlackBerry Acount with different SIM Cards, you still have the same PIN
    Thanked by 3:
    bb7130 (04-26-2012),  ocgltd (02-02-2012),  Sabina82 (01-23-2013) 
    ocgltd likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That part has me confused still...if I keep my Telus account open and keep paying for the BB option on my Telus account, then shouldn't I just need ANY data plan? (For example, if I turn mobile radio off but leave wifi on, I think that I can still BBM) So wouldn't that mean any data plan is sufficient?

Still learning!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you really want it, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd View Post
    That part has me confused still...if I keep my Telus account open and keep paying for the BB option on my Telus account, then shouldn't I just need ANY data plan? (For example, if I turn mobile radio off but leave wifi on, I think that I can still BBM) So wouldn't that mean any data plan is sufficient?

Still learning!
    Bring your TELUS sim card to germany. KEEP RADIO OFF. Turn ON wifi. Your BBM will work that way.
    When you need to make calls + Text, you should consider activating a prepaid german carrier sim. This WILL Keep the costs DOWN
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    PIN
    DROP SILENCE

What I do on international tours is carry a non BB phone to use with my country's sim in it to receive phone calls ( just to see the number). So you just need to activate international voice calling.
    Buy a local prepaid sim with a BB data plan to use on my blackberry. With the BB ID, all emails a/c's( even the home country's carrier ID like xxx@vodafone.blackberry.net) and BBM work flawlessly.

Do a thorough research to find out which carriers offer prepaid sim with BB plan and if they have an outlet at the arrival terminal.

As mentioned above, your only option is vodafone germany,so check on their site or write to them asking about their shops presence at the arrival terminal.
    BB Users from India, check out www.bbindia.net
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Looks like Vodafone "CallYa Fun" is the best/only way to go...good price too! Thanks for the tip.

I tried to order one online so it is waiting for me when I arrive: warning to other users (I guess things work a bit differently in Germany). As soon as you add an address to the order and click next, there is no opportunity to enter a visa number etc. Vodafone sends a courier to the address, needing to check ID, and expecting payment in cash. Yuk. I've spent 4 hours on phone/chat/email trying to get vodafone to cancel the order.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Does my Telus 9900 have to be unlocked in order to use a SIM card from Vodafone? I am travelling to Germany too, so this thread has been useful, but I'm wondering if this strategy only works for unlocked phones? I am in a Telus contract with my corporate plan and the best they can offer is $5/MB and $1.50 per min airtime.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

For anyone interested, I bought the Vodafone 'fun' plan, which is cheap monthly plan with BB access. It worked great, just plugged into my BB and then my corporate BES (in Canada) plan worked as before while in Germany, including data access etc. You just need to ensure your BB is unlocked
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb7130 View Post
    Does my Telus 9900 have to be unlocked in order to use a SIM card from Vodafone? I am travelling to Germany too, so this thread has been useful, but I'm wondering if this strategy only works for unlocked phones? I am in a Telus contract with my corporate plan and the best they can offer is $5/MB and $1.50 per min airtime.
    Yes. Unlocking is necessary but inexpensive.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Unlocking cost me $15...so much cheaper than paying Telus prices in Germany..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd View Post
    Looks like Vodafone "CallYa Fun" is the best/only way to go...good price too! Thanks for the tip.

I tried to order one online so it is waiting for me when I arrive: warning to other users (I guess things work a bit differently in Germany). As soon as you add an address to the order and click next, there is no opportunity to enter a visa number etc. Vodafone sends a courier to the address, needing to check ID, and expecting payment in cash. Yuk. I've spent 4 hours on phone/chat/email trying to get vodafone to cancel the order.

What a bummer!!!!