Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Giff Gaff (UK)

Is anyone here using a giff-gaff sim? I'm interested to see how you're getting on with it. I know they are using O2's network and they offer great value for money but i'm intrigued by the fact that if you have any issues you simply liase with other giff gaff user's online to resolve the problem hence them cutting overheads and giving you more bang for your buck.
    How do u top-up etc?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

I don't use it myself but my elder daughter got herself one, she hasn't had any problems with it so far so can't comment on how that works but community forums aren't always bad.

What's more, their BIS is only £3 compared to other networks who charge £5. Another great thing is the fact that when people call you, you get minutes added to your monthly allowance which is pretty cool, basically for every minute some calls you, you get a free minute added, except when another GiffGaff number calls you.

As far as top-up goes, you can top-up online with a credit/debit card, or use a voucher by calling a number. There's things like goodybags too but I'm not sure what you get with those.
    Last edited by DJ Reyes; 07-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you for the detailed resonse. It's definitely worth considering getting involved with as i'm looking to steer away from a contract at the moment.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

It certainly looks a bargain and value for money. I just went to check out the website. It looks like only the £5 a month goodybag gives you the free added minutes. But the other plans look good too. The £3 BIS is certainly a nice price.
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Very interesting i'll definitely take a look at their website to see what they offer. The £3 BIS sounds good. I hope everyone on here is as helpful as you DJ!

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

Just ordered a sim card. Going to give it a try for a month or so on my spare phone
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've ordered one too. I have already had one buy my daughters played with the enveloped and broke the microSIM out of it's surround so I couldn't use it in my BB. Will report back to this thread in a month or so when I've had a chance to use the SIM. :-)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrius1995 View Post
    I've ordered one too. I have already had one buy my daughters played with the enveloped and broke the microSIM out of it's surround so I couldn't use it in my BB. Will report back to this thread in a month or so when I've had a chance to use the SIM. :-)
    I believe that the way GiffGaff has design their sim card is that even if you pop out the microSIM you can slip it back in to use as a mini SIM. I have seen my daughter do it. she has swapped it in with her BlackBerry and her Dev Alpha.
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24
    Thanked by:
    funnhome (04-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Let me know how you both get on.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

I'll be trying myself in a couple of weeks when I visit UK, with a giff gaff sim in a 3g dingle. From amazon reviews of a few things, the settings for data access are shown in the attached.

If anyone has any problems with these settings, let me know and I'll delete the pic, but they will be the ones I'll be trying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giff Gaff (UK)-img_00000021.jpg  
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

Thought I'd provide a quick update on where I am with giffgaff. Last time I posted I have ordered a SIM card, took about a week to arrive. You do receive an email to confirm that they SIM card has been sent.

I didn't get around to using it right away and only got around to getting it activated yesterday. I had run into problems with activating though and took to the community forums for help.

I must say the experience there has been very good so far. Response from the forums is almost immediate. I had thought it may have taken a bit longer to get a response but was pleased to get one within a good time frame and get a solution.

I am now just waiting for activation. I will update again on my experience with data speeds, call quality etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24
    CrackBerry User

interesting stuff thanks.
    so if someone calls me with their free minutes for 30 minutes, i get 30 minutes talk time??
    CrackBerry User

Many thanks for the info on Giff Gaff, I am going to check it out!!!
    David
    CrackBerry User

Default Giff Gaff (UK)

I've been on GiffGaff for nearly 3 months now and it seems recently that o2 is having problems with their service as my phone calls keep dropping and sending BBM's take quite a long time too recently.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    BB User since 2008! - Currently using 9800/9790/Q10 - C0040B178
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi!!

Me and the boyfriend have been on GiffGaff since about February last year. Cheap as chips. Not too many problems, just things like the odd time where the goodybag hasn't been updated onto the phone, this happened to my boyfriend a few times and you have to go via the forums and the agents to get it sorted which can sometimes take a bit for the agents to get back to you.

It is good value for money, I would reccomend them, the goodybags are good value, the forums are very helpful and immediate if you need help with something. It takes a while to sort things if you need to go via ask an agent though. Have been looking at the £3 BIS which you have to add on to your goodybag, as am thinking of getting a blackberry. Also, you need to download Opera Mini browser as the blackberry one doesn't work on GiffGaff or something, but this is no biggie.

Hope this helps. If you need to know more, just ask
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Default Giff Gaff (UK)

I have been using Giffgaff for the past 5 months now and so far so good. 250 mins, unltd texts, unltd internet and BB add on for £15 a month simply cant be beaten.

Fortunately i have not encountered any major issues in which i have needed to seek help from a giffgaff mod so unable to comment on their service.

Slight bug bearer is the poor call quality at times but this is few and far between and not enough to be an annoyance.

Overall i'm delighted i went with giffgaff and it's turned out to be a real 'contract killer' which can only be a good thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Default Giff Gaff (UK)

Also, you need to download Opera Mini browser as the blackberry one doesn't work on GiffGaff or something, but this is no biggie.

Hope this helps. If you need to know more, just ask [/QUOTE]

BB browser works fine for me but may be an issue for some?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Default Giff Gaff (UK)

The only time the browser doesn't work is when you dont have the BlackBerry Add-On which is £3 you can use the opera browser if you dont have this add on but you have to have data in your "goody bag".

Otherwise it would cost alot from your airtime cred 20p for 20mb & then 20p for every mb after.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    BB User since 2008! - Currently using 9800/9790/Q10 - C0040B178