I made a video tutorial on how to connect old Blackberry devices and update the OS using a PC.
    Works on:

Any questions,feel free to ask.
    See the video here:

Posted from BlackBerry Passport SE.
    coffee-turtle and pkcable like this.
    01-20-17 03:00 AM
    Thanks for the tutorial! I went ahead and made this thread a sticky, please try to be good about following up when questions get asked if possible.
    01-20-17 11:42 AM
    Will do!
    pkcable likes this.
    01-24-17 03:42 PM
    Hello, I don't know if anyone has a solution to this problem: my old BB 8830 will not sync to my desktop anymore, so that I may transfer all the address book to my another BB 8830 I have or to a new Verizon prepaid phone. I tried the old Blackberry user tools disk, and I also tried the new disk supplied with my newer BB 8830. No dice. Neither will successfully load to my desktop, so I may sync the data to a new phone. So, in your expert option, how do I get the address book + my full calendar schedule transferred to a newer phone. I would like to avoid having to re-enter all the information, full calendar schedule etc, into a new cell phone. Any solutions you can think of to this problem? I am not technically sophisticated, so please explain in detail if you know the answer to this data transfer dilemma. Thanks a lot!
    09-13-18 04:43 PM
    Hello, I don't know if anyone has a solution to this problem: my old BB 8830 will not sync to my desktop anymore, so that I may transfer all the address book to my another BB 8830 I have or to a new Verizon prepaid phone. I tried the old Blackberry user tools disk, and I also tried the new disk supplied with my newer BB 8830. No dice. Neither will successfully load to my desktop, so I may sync the data to a new phone. So, in your expert option, how do I get the address book + my full calendar schedule transferred to a newer phone. I would like to avoid having to re-enter all the information, full calendar schedule etc, into a new cell phone. Any solutions you can think of to this problem? I am not technically sophisticated, so please explain in detail if you know the answer to this data transfer dilemma. Thanks a lot!
    There are a couple of things you could try. First of all, the phone must have a valid connection to the computer. Meaning when you connect it, you get the 'device connected' windows sound. If there is no reaction from the PC, it is a hardware issue. Second, remove all other devices you have connected apart from your keyboard and mouse. My first 8320 would not sync and after countless hours of trying various things, discovered that my webcam driver was causing the issue. So I would recommend removing all USB devices. If you had other BlackBerry software installed on your PC, it might interfere with your current version of desktop software. If you just want a one off transfer, the easiest thing to do is ask a friend for 5 minutes on his PC and install BlackBerry desktop software v4.5 (was released in the 8830 period) and just do the transfer there, will save you a lot of head ache.You can find the BlackBerry desktop software v4.5 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx...hiamRqXzA/view

Hope it helps!
    09-13-18 05:23 PM
    Thank you. Yes, I do get the device connected sound you mention. And I will also try disconnecting the items you suggest. A follow-up quick question for you: Should I try removing the Blackberry User Tools software, then try installing the BB desktop software v4.5 onto my desktop - just to see if I have success with that first? I just stopped by the Verizon store and the Rep there informed me: The towers are all changing as soon as 3 months from now to 5G so I won't be able to use either of my 3G blackberry 8830's after that (my handy BB's becoming obsolete now); If I get another prepaid phone I will have to change my number (NO), Flip phone users will be forced to buy updated compatible phones (No Choice); This Rep states the store can do a "hard transfer" copy of the data from my 3G BB 8830 to a new $240. Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen post-paid phone (Hope so). This is the phone she advised me to get if I do not want to pay a whole lot more, but I have not purchased it just yet. I am not completely sure I will like it, so I'll keep the price down. So, bottom line, I guess I will end up with one practically new & unused BB 8830 + one well used BB 8830 that can be my back up data storage unit. Let me know of any further comments you may have And, yes, one can spend hours and even days trying to get old technology to function properly. It makes you wonder how much valuable time should really be spent or maybe it is just a good investment to just give in and buy the new technology!
    09-13-18 09:48 PM
    Thank you. Yes, I do get the device connected sound you mention. And I will also try disconnecting the items you suggest. A follow-up quick question for you: Should I try removing the Blackberry User Tools software, then try installing the BB desktop software v4.5 onto my desktop - just to see if I have success with that first? I just stopped by the Verizon store and the Rep there informed me: The towers are all changing as soon as 3 months from now to 5G so I won't be able to use either of my 3G blackberry 8830's after that (my handy BB's becoming obsolete now); If I get another prepaid phone I will have to change my number (NO), Flip phone users will be forced to buy updated compatible phones (No Choice); This Rep states the store can do a "hard transfer" copy of the data from my 3G BB 8830 to a new $240. Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen post-paid phone (Hope so). This is the phone she advised me to get if I do not want to pay a whole lot more, but I have not purchased it just yet. I am not completely sure I will like it, so I'll keep the price down. So, bottom line, I guess I will end up with one practically new & unused BB 8830 + one well used BB 8830 that can be my back up data storage unit. Let me know of any further comments you may have And, yes, one can spend hours and even days trying to get old technology to function properly. It makes you wonder how much valuable time should really be spent or maybe it is just a good investment to just give in and buy the new technology!
    It always baffled me how aggressive the mobile network providers are in the US, especially Verizon. E few months ago I sold a 3G Motorola flip phone to a client in the US And he was intending to use it on Verizon. But surprise, surprise, they refused to provide him with the service. They kept making up excuses on how the phone is locked to T-Mobile USA (the phone used to be on Three UK, even had the logo on the back, I have unlocked it myself) , then said the phone had some security password on it and can not be used (even though the client sent me a photo of him browsing the phone's menu) and all sorts of excuses just to stop the client from bringing a phone outside Verizon. I ended up refunding him even though the phone was perfectly fine. Also, thy are killing 3G now? Here I can still use my 5820 from 2001 on 2G network. I hate how they are forcing people to buy their new phones. As to the matter at hand, uninstall everything BlackBerry related from your PC then just install the BlackBerry desktop software v4.5 so it won't interfere with the other software and drivers.
    Last edited by gsm_dealer08; 09-14-18 at 01:37 AM.
    09-14-18 01:26 AM
    "I hate how they are forcing people to buy their new phones. " Amen. I was told again, at the store, that the towers would be systematically replaced with 5G, to accommodate the increasing demands, and also force many to buy "compatible" upgraded phones. Again, there are many that do not appreciate being forced to buy a product. Since, conflicting information has been given to me by Verizon online chat rep. Yesterday's rep in the local store said I could not keep MY number and get a prepaid phone. The Verizon chat rep said that is not accurate, and that I CAN keep my same number and get either a prepaid or a postpaid new Verizon phone. Also the store rep, yesterday, highly recommended the Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen post-paid phone in stock (so I could keep my number as desired). Online reviews are not very good for that Samsung model and the reviews indicate that there might be lemons in that line. The store rep also said that I should get the phone from the store because ordering the phone online could take 2 weeks or more because of storm delays. I verified that claim also, with the Verizon online chat rep, who said: it is the Iphone that can take 2 weeks or more to get (ONLY). So, research shows, based on overall reviews, that these particular phones may be better choices: Motorola moto G6, LG K20 V. It seems when sales commissions are involved, one must do their own research. I am thinking that Samsung may have suffered financially due to the huge recalls & replacements of the Galaxy Note 7 (fire prone phone) - and has caused some quality inconsistencies in their products as a result? So, I will try the suggestion to "uninstall everything BlackBerry related from your PC then just install the BlackBerry desktop software v4.5 so it won't interfere with the other software and drivers." Hopefully that will work. Let me know if you have any other thoughts or can advise on which phone a longtime BB 8830 happy user would most likely be pleased with: Motorola moto G6, LG K20 V. Both of these phones are in the lower priced range but seem to get higher reviews overall. With the constant upgrades, why pay $700-1000 for a phone that would just tend to become obsolete anyway. I think it makes more sense to buy a $150-200 phone every two years or so..
    09-14-18 06:11 PM
    I have long since I stopped listening to mobile store reps. You are right, they have that sweet commission in mind and always try to push iPhones (which I am not a fan of) and Samsung (which are so crammed with Samsung's own apps it slows them down). I always try to do my research online and look for bias opinions. If you are a long time BlackBerry user like myself, why not stick with BlackBerry? I'm using a Key2 and it is top quality, especially the keyboard. Even a KeyONE is very good and you can find them quite cheap nowadays (not sure if Verizon will let you bring it to their network). If you are looking for a standard touchscreen phone and not spend too much, I recommend Nokia 6. Solid build, great specs and really low price. I'm pretty sure you can keep your number regardless of your choice. Here I can switch carriers and keep my number with just one phone call, the SIM arrives within 24h. But if the phone is CDMA that might be a problem.
    09-15-18 04:36 AM
    Thanks again. I did check and, no, Verizon does not sell any Blackberry's in their lineup. I am not totally sold on Verizon, but I am not contract so I can certainly look at other service providers. In the meantime, I think I will try their prepaid Moto G6. I did a lot of online research myself, to back up the exuberant claims about this Motorola phone - that 2 chat reps and 2 phone reps highly recommended. I will try it for 14 days, and then can return within that time for refund if I do not like (verified that several times too!). For $130, I at least gotta try it out! Always gotta do the research every which way Enjoy your evening!
    09-16-18 12:24 AM
    I charged up my 7230 and tried to connect it to the desktop - BlackBerry Desktop doesn't recognize it. I downloaded the 4.5 desktop software but if I install it will it wipe the updated version I now have?

Played one round of Brickbreaker, got to level 3.
    Last edited by Paul Reichert; 03-28-22 at 12:58 AM.
    03-26-22 01:50 PM