Nokia's new CEO Rajeev Suri took the stage on November 14, and mapped out the future of the Finnish telecommunications giant after its phone business got acquired by Microsoft.
    First off, as sad as this sounds, and despite some unsubstantiated rumors, Nokia doesn't plan on making phones anymore. "We are not looking to a direct consumer return to handsets per se," were his actual words. Still, there is a silver lining, and it is that there is an extremely high interest in licensing the brand, he added, so at some point in the longer term the Nokia name "will return to the consumer world." Now, whether this will be with phones, or other devices and maybe services, remains to be seen, but the hopes that Nokia will quickly start churning out Android handsets seems dead and buried now.
    As for the other aspects of the company, the CEO mentioned that it won't have its HERE brand of navigation software compete directly with Google Maps, but instead rely on third-party licensees like Amazon, Microsoft or Yahoo, in business-to-business partnerships. We'd say that with the release of the beta app for Android and iOSthis ship had sailed, as the app offers options lacking in Google Maps, like offline navigation, but whatever rocks the boat. Nokia's CEO expects that all three business units - Networks, Technologies and the mapping business - will be returning to growth and profitability very soon, but it's the end of the line for Nokia phones piece that strikes us the most in the end.

Source End of an era: Nokia won't be making phones anymore, says CEO

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and Galifrey like this.
    11-18-14 03:58 AM
    Nokia made a nice solid product, but I seen this coming when Microsoft bought them out. Unfortunately that's the way of the new corporate environment.
    11-18-14 04:44 AM
    So what does this mean for windows phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 04:54 AM
    And yet the original Nokia (i.e. Not the bit sold to Microsoft) have just released a tablet under the Nokia brand. This has the potential to get confusing.

Posted via CB10
    anon(7808135) likes this.
    11-18-14 05:22 AM
    Nokia just licensing the name.,the product is made by foxconn
    11-18-14 05:42 AM
    Software matter more than hardware(manufacture). It is the software that you need to live with daily, not the hardware.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    11-18-14 05:46 AM
    And yet the original Nokia (i.e. Not the bit sold to Microsoft) have just released a tablet under the Nokia brand. This has the potential to get confusing.

Posted via CB10

NO KIA...

Still, I drive one... :-)
    Lol

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    neoberry99 and gebco like this.
    11-18-14 05:51 AM
    NO KIA...

Still, I drive one... :-)
    Lol

Always had you down as a cheapskate.... :-P

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 05:55 AM
    I guess BlackBerry will join them soon... Tecno and other android phones putting the big companies out of business...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 06:30 AM
    Thanks for your information on Nokia once a giant in handset business although your prediction on Blackberry is Bull **** !
    acovey, rarsen and thymaster like this.
    11-18-14 07:05 AM
    Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:16 AM
    Thanks for your information on Nokia once a giant in handset business although your prediction on Blackberry is Bull **** !
    I hope so cos am a die hard BlackBerry fan...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:17 AM
    My first cellphone was a huge green phone that could change the color if wanted too.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:20 AM
    Maybe there's an opportunity for BlackBerry to partner with them
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-18-14 07:25 AM
    Maybe there's an opportunity for BlackBerry to partner with them
    Why?! BlackBerry does not want into the cellular networking business, it's far too crowded and the giant is Ericsson, not Nokia- Siemens (if that partnership still exists), amongst others like Lucent, Motorola, etc.

Nokia only has their networking - towers, base stations, switches business. They'll need to reinvent themselves a fourth time in their nearly 120 year history.

BlackBerry has better options and can survive themselves they've proven this.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    1raygin likes this.
    11-18-14 07:31 AM
    I am really confused. I thought they were out of device business and yet they came out with a tablet. Did they mean only phones?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:37 AM
    Software matter more than hardware(manufacture). It is the software that you need to live with daily, not the hardware.

Sure, but that software needs to be run on something. Can't really have one without the other.
    11-18-14 07:46 AM
    This is a good opportunity for BlackBerry to officially take back third place. Good news for BlackBerry as Nokia will have to redirect their strategies.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-18-14 08:17 AM
    Nokia isn't allowed to use it's name for new phones until end 2015 - tablets are excluded.

Source:
    http://m.diepresse.com/home/techscie...97933/index.do

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-18-14 09:36 AM
    Sure, but that software needs to be run on something. Can't really have one without the other.
    But it is software that is being use the most time live with . Brand hardware specific like camera and stereo speakers is usually secondary. Apps, UX, UI all is related to software. If the hardware is great and tough but the software is crap, then in the end we just whining.

11-18-14 09:49 AM
    They can thank Stephen Elop. He sold them out. Too bad, because Meego had such promise. If only they could have delivered it sooner. Sounds like BB10, but hopefully the story does not end the same way!
    11-18-14 10:00 AM
    I hope they dont stop producing batteries because they last longer...

Posted Via Z30
    11-18-14 10:55 AM
    Always had you down as a cheapskate.... :-P

Posted via CB10
    I BUY apps... :-)))

It's not that easy to carve out a living in a neglected regional city of Australia with high transient population and a very cyclic local economy (tourism, sugar cane, farming, building trade/development).

The Aussie dollar goes up, people stay away... :-(

My dad wanted to give me his Merc M Class next year, LOL

11-18-14 02:43 PM
    Nvmd

11-18-14 02:44 PM
    I BUY apps... :-)))

It's not that easy to carve out a living in a neglected regional city of Australia with high transient population and a very cyclic local economy (tourism, sugar cane, farming, building trade/development).

The Aussie dollar goes up, people stay away... :-(

Well I would too if BlackBerry sorted out the payment issues...

Hmm. Could be Cairns...could be further south. If I were to place a bet, I'd say Mossman. How close am I?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 02:46 PM
64 123