Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fmar
  • 1 Post By amazinglygraceless
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Would Facebook Buy RIM?

From a Reuters article: The New York Times cited sources dredging up a longstanding rumor that Zuckerberg was pondering building a Facebook phone, and that an easy way to acquire the hardware expertise needed was to buy troubled Research in Motion.

Here's the whole article: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE84S0VR20120529?irpc=935

Definitely an interesting idea that would shorten FB's phone development timeframe and launch them into the mobile arena, but I'd sure never own another BB if FB bought them.
    CrackBerry Abuser

RIM needs a buyer... MS, FB, Amazon... who cares.

I don't think the RIM coffin has space for another nail.

Would I buy an FB phone? Nope... have a Nokia Lumia and it rocks.
    Premium1 likes this.
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Helping out with a clickable link Facebook shares plumb new depths, valuation questioned
    Thanked by 2:
    BBMINI (05-29-2012),  spencerdl (05-29-2012) 
    spencerdl likes this.
    Retired Mod

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Fmar View Post
    RIM needs a buyer... MS, FB, Amazon... who cares.

I don't think the RIM coffin has space for another nail.
    I beg to differ on two fronts.

1) The very last thing RIMMneeds is a buyer, despite popular sentiment. Should RIM
    go this route their fall to irrelevance will become a matter of fact, not speculation.
    Ask many of the other tech companies that thought being absorbed was going to turn
    their fortunes.

2) Given that BlackBerry is known for it's security, not undeserved I might add, aligning
    with Facebook of all things would again be virtual, no make that actual suicide.

The coffin comment deserves no more comment than to say that trope has been trotted
    out over and over again and yet RIM still stands and though it has seen declining
    market share and an alarming decline in it's stock price they are still here and yes,
    still a player. Let''s wait until year end before we start planning that funeral.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)

The Globe and Mail thinks it's a logical step. Let's hope for a buyout.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I agree with point 2.

However, new waters for RIM... no physical new products to market for a good while yet, CEO's gone, major players leaving and making the news, layoffs, new leadership that is really untested, delays after delays for OS PB updates, failed launch of the PB, lack of deep serious interest in the PB platform from 3rd party devs, market cap and share price the lowest it has been in 8 years... then there is the suitors lining up or did so... such as Amazon.

Market cap might be just under $6 billion... but $4.5 billion would be enough to delist from the market and have control of the company and force a compulsory share buy back.

Personally for RIM to survive... IMHO it needs fresh blood.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    5,070 Global Posts

If fb buys RIM I can see them running RIM and bb into the ground. FB is just grasping at strings after their stock isnt doing as well as they hoped and just seem to want to have a hand in everything.
    Retired Mod

PIN

I agree with point 2.

However, new waters for RIM... no physical new products to market for a good while yet, CEO's gone, major players leaving and making the news, layoffs, new leadership that is really untested, delays after delays for OS PB updates, failed launch of the PB, lack of deep serious interest in the PB platform from 3rd party devs, market cap and share price the lowest it has been in 8 years... then there is the suitors lining up or did so... such as Amazon.
    Gonna take these one by one.

1. No new product - We all now this but there is a roadmap and products in development.
    This is not a death blow by any stretch.

2. CEO's - This had to happen. Had they remained I feel RIM would be in worse shape.
    So far, despite the bad press, level-headed people think TH is doing just fine.

3. Departures - You know what? People leave companies. The only reason this is
    making news is that the media that has declared RIM dead for 2 years now think
    they are finally "circling the drain"

4. Layoffs - Again, this happens all the time. Only in the heads of the press is this
    a cause célèbre when it happens at RIM.

5. Untested new leader - You are kidding me right. Have you actually taken the time
    to read Mr. Heins' CV?

6. Playbook launch - Calling the launch a "failure" is a bit hyperbolic.

7. Developer interest - I'll give you that but it does appear that even that tide is
    starting to turn and the interest in BB10 is very encouraging.

The market cap and share price thing I am letting go.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    501FD107

Come on people, have faith in RIM....I do!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,981 Global Posts

Would I buy an FB phone? Nope... have a Nokia Lumia and it rocks.

Personally for RIM to survive... IMHO it needs fresh blood.
    And the maker of your Lumia is losing over a 1.5 BILLION dollars a quarter, selling more dead Symbian Phones and possibly more MEEgo phones than they are Lumias. Just hope M$ doesn't stop stuffing that Nokia pig with cash or they are cooked.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Why does everyone assume it's a buyer and not a partner? If Facebook comes in for a piece of rim then that will get things rolling again and people will want to see what's next..bb10. I think a better combo for rim that was suggested is vodafone.

Something needs to happen that will shine some positive light on rim before bb10 rolls out.
    Last edited by abwan11; 05-30-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,323 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zar1964 View Post
    Come on people, have faith in RIM....I do!!
    I have faith in the Lord. So far as RIM goes, I'll be keeping an eye out for their unrolling of BB10 devices.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    Gonna take these one by one.

5. Untested new leader - You are kidding me right. Have you actually taken the time
    to read Mr. Heins' CV?
    He has no turn company around experience,so he is untested.