Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will BB10 support simultaneous Voice And Data?

Some iPhone fans I work with are pissed that the iPhone 5 will NOT support simultaneous Voice And Data On Verizon. Our phones are supplied by the small company that I work for. The plan is paid for by the company. The network is Verizon. We basically choose whatever phone we want. I have a BB 9850. Others have iPhones. At least one co-working was looking forward to an LTE iPhone on Verizon. He wants to drop his laptop Air Card from the plan, and tether to his iPhone instead. He was just waiting for an LTE iPhone for Simultaneous Voice and Data while tethered! Well, I guess he will have to wait for the iPhone 5s or something.

So, I assume it's too soon to know exactly what antenna's are in the BB10 handsets, and how they are provisioned for use, but I would love to know if the BB10 will support simultaneous Voice And Data on Verizon like all the Andriod LTE handsets already do.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,570 Global Posts

Good question my man.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    290BC3C6 (9900) / 500CF65B (PB)

Doesn't this depend on the processor RIM use?
    I rock a BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Yes it depends on the wireless chipset RIM selects for Verizon and Sprint phones.

There's not going to be a voice + data iPhone 5S for Sprint or Verizon. A third antenna would require Apple to produce a third model iPhone 5 which would cut into profit margins.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 09-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

no it depends on the antenna the iPhone does nto have two antennas to support CDMA voice and data simultaniously where as GSM can integrate it all with one.

i think Apple released it this way in hopes that the CDMA upgrades will happen soon, and it might be since the problem with the iPhone is arising. if RIM decides to use multiple antennas they should be fine, we've yet to hear of any of the Android LTE devices having this problem on CDMA
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Right, the Android LTE handsets on Sprint and Verizon do not have this problem because they equiped the units with the necesary antennas to do simultanious voice and data transmission. Apple chose not to, for whatever cost, battery, size, or whatever other unknown reason.

Waiting to see what RIM does with the new BB10 handsets designed for the same carrier configuration.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,048 Global Posts

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0-able-745022/

Three pages on the same question... No one knows the answer yet.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    32FBF354

Knowing RIM, they would probably listen to what the carrier wants and that's probably a separate CDMA/1X and LTE chip for Verizon and Sprint.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0-able-745022/

Three pages on the same question... No one knows the answer yet.
    Thanks for the link, nj! I just read through it. There is a lot of confusion and missinformation in that thread, and you are right - no conclusion re: BB10.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    32FBF354

I believe when Verizon (or Sprint) launches Voice over LTE (voLTE) - this issue won't be a problem anymore. It will work just like any GSM/HSPA network.

The question is when is Verizon going to launch this for its LTE network. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
    app_Developer likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Yes, David, that is my understanding as well. I have not found any estimates on when that may be implemented. Those with Android LTE phones will not have to concern themselves with that. IPhone 5 users on Verizon and Sprint will just have to suffer while they wait. Us BB users will still just suffer while we wait for an LTE handset at all... Lol
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Will BB10 support simultaneous Voice And Data?

CDMA does not support voice and data simultaneously TDMA does. LTE, 2G, 4G makes no difference. Sprint is CDMA and AT&T is TDMA. Code division tx/rx a dedicated data channel for handling the voice channel allocation. TDMA time division allows alternating time slots for handling voice and data.
    Richard
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by rjaco View Post
    CDMA does not support voice and data simultaneously TDMA does. LTE, 2G, 4G makes no difference. Sprint is CDMA and AT&T is TDMA. Code division tx/rx a dedicated data channel for handling the voice channel allocation. TDMA time division allows alternating time slots for handling voice and data.

CDMA alone can't do calls and data at the same time but Android handsets on cdma and lte(which is based on gsm technology) can do simultaneous calls and data, while they have lte signal.

I would be lost without this feature but I'm on gsm.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    CDMA alone can't do calls and data at the same time but Android handsets on cdma and lte(which is based on gsm technology) can do simultaneous calls and data, while they have lte signal.

I would be lost without this feature but I'm on gsm.
    Exactly. It can be done, and is being done by pretty much all Android based LTE handsets on Verizon. The iPhone is actually the exception. I guess we won't know about BB10 until we have it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts

Default Will BB10 support simultaneous Voice And Data?

I have it on pretty good authority that it will
    Loving my Z10!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me for it

Default Re: Will BB10 support simultaneous Voice And Data?

4GLTE is NOT CDMA. 4GLTE phones use a sim card. so it is sorta like "TDMA"
    so again its not a cdma issue, its more of a coverage issue. if you only have a "3G" signal im sure it'll be CDMA'ish and you cant talk and data, but if you have full LTE then i dont see why not... BUTTTTTT the radio RIM decides to throw on the phone will have the final say on said issue.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am using the Blackberry Z10 in India with Idea network, when I am using the data than I am not getting any incoming calls. There is some problem in data and voice at the same time. Is any one have the solution.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,383 Global Posts

I heard a while back that it would, but I forget where I heard it so I can't coment on the reliability of the source.

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

CrackBerry Newbie

Phones in the future will not support simultaneous radios. The only reason this was done was because there wasn't a way to do fallback to cdma while in LTE coverage. So their blunt solution was to just have both radios running at the same time. You don't want to do this because it's a tremendous battery drain.

Once IMS is up and running, you'll be able to do simultaneous voice and data on LTE.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

This is not a problem with gsm networks.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

It would depend on the network. GSM networks will. CDMA networks will ONLY if the phone is connected to LTE.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07

Global Posts
    9,710 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    It would depend on the network. GSM networks will. CDMA networks will ONLY if the phone is connected to LTE.
    The phone, Verizon, on LTE, does support simultaneous voice and data.

Posted via CB10
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    The phone, Verizon, on LTE, does support simultaneous voice and data.

Posted via CB10
    I know...that's what I said. But where there is only 3G, the phone will not support simultaneous voice and data.

Global Posts
    9,710 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    I know...that's what I said. But where there is only 3G, the phone will not support simultaneous voice and data.
    Yes, but not all CDMA LTE devices do support both. I was confirming that the Verizon Z10, does in fact support this on LTE.
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Yes, but not all CDMA LTE devices do support both. I was confirming that the Verizon Z10, does in fact support this on LTE.
    Correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast