Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By playbookster
  • 1 Post By simu31
  • 1 Post By mmcpher
  • 1 Post By undone
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why You Should Keep Your PlayBook!

BB 10 will be coming in a few months it will be coming to your PlayBook to ! so keep it ! some are not happy right now but those who sold theirs are going to have to buy another when OS 10 comes out good apps are coming slowly but they are coming and since BB 10 is coming to the PlayBook i dont think their will be a need for me to get a blackberry 10 phone would be awesome if it came to the OS 7 users as well

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!

I dont believe the PB is getting BB10. It already is a sort of BB 10. It might see updates similar to what the BB10 phone see - but I think the current PB is seeing its OS as it is.

And BB OS 7 phones will not be upgradable to BB 10.
    "Oh and you don't know - you don't know my mind.
    When you see me laughing - laughing just to keep from crying
    "
    - Hugh Laurie from his album "Let Them Talk" doing Leadbelly
    ----------------------------------------------
    Slappin' trolls since May 2011
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,647 Global Posts

I wasn't planning on getting rid of mine. I like it a lot!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mjs416 View Post
    I dont believe the PB is getting BB10. It already is a sort of BB 10. It might see updates similar to what the BB10 phone see - but I think the current PB is seeing its OS as it is.

And BB OS 7 phones will not be upgradable to BB 10.
    It was already confirmed that PB is getting BB10. PB 2.0 is not BB10, its more like a preview.
    Chrisy and kbz1960 like this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,376 Global Posts

I'm keeping mine until it doesn't work anymore.

Edit: Just to say I never thought about getting rid of such a good device that while it can be frustrating at times it has been very good and useful for me.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-03-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Add
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    It was already confirmed that PB is getting BB10. PB 2.0 is not BB10, its more like a preview.
    I try and keep up with BB news but I did not see that - do you have a link to some info?

And just so I understand it - they will be updating 1.5 year old tablets with RIM's latest and greatest OS? I hope theres more to it than I am seeing.
    "Oh and you don't know - you don't know my mind.
    When you see me laughing - laughing just to keep from crying
    "
    - Hugh Laurie from his album "Let Them Talk" doing Leadbelly
    ----------------------------------------------
    Slappin' trolls since May 2011
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

sorry i'm not able to provide the link, but it was confirmed, as said, that the PlayBook will be receiving BB10.
    It does seen sort of 'funny' that Blackberry is willing to update there 1 and a half year old tablet so quickly but they are trying to complete with companies like android who bring out a major upgrade almost twice it seems. With the PlayBook being the only tablet they provide, RIM is gonna try there best to seem up-to-date with BB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

I try and keep up with BB news but I did not see that - do you have a link to some info?

And just so I understand it - they will be updating 1.5 year old tablets with RIM's latest and greatest OS? I hope theres more to it than I am seeing.
    Here's one

Just Google "confirmed PlayBook getting BB10". Lots of links.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CrackBerry Addict

I've decided not to keep mine... I'm going to give it to a friend AND BUY A NEW 64GB ONE!!

Si.

[edit] : just had a thought, isn't there supposed to be a "new" Playbook released in April?
    Last edited by simu31; 04-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    7ADFBC83

Quote Originally Posted by marcuspoetry View Post
    BB 10 will be coming in a few months it will be coming to your PlayBook to ! so keep it ! some are not happy right now but those who sold theirs are going to have to buy another when OS 10 comes out good apps are coming slowly but they are coming and since BB 10 is coming to the PlayBook i dont think their will be a need for me to get a blackberry 10 phone would be awesome if it came to the OS 7 users as well

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I'll be keeping mine as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There was a PB with HPSA+ leaked onto the forum last month. Maybe it'll announce at BB world
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

The 4G/4GLTE devices should be launching sooner than that, though they may have pushed it back to announce at BBWC

Global Posts
    6,562 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I'd had the impression the 3G Playbook was coming this month...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

It's always been curious for me, to read these posts where people who claim to be longtime users of the Playbook abandon it. Is there some bottomless-return-for-your-money-back policy that I'm not aware of? I really like the form factor and the new OS. I'm not goign anywhere. The "new" Playbook will probably not interest me, unless there's a substantial speed or performance upgrade. I can already bridge or thether to my 9900, so why would I need a cellular Playbook? If and when RIM launches another Playbook, it will just give all the press wags a chance to dust off all of their canned, RIM is bad articles. I can't figure out why there's such an appetite for that kind of journalism. Most people who read tech articles are sophisticated enough to recognize that certain devices are targeted at smaller segments of the overall market. But wait and see how the next Playbook will be measured. I consider myself a loyal Blackberry Partisan, but I have no interest in reading misleading articles trashing Apple or Android.
    Lumia 1520, Passport -- Surface Pro 3
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

I will definitely be keeping mine. I have had more fun with PlayBook and Crackberrians than with any other gadget I own.
    You need to remember that this forum represents max 5% of PlayBook owners and are leading edge technical users, who by definition are always ready to change to the next best thing.
    PlayBook easily does everything that I need, though my needs are simple like most tablet owners.
    Banned

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

Congratulations on winning the RIM cheer leader of the day award. Lots of wishful thinking but that is about it. There is no reason to assume that BB10 will solve app problems. It is far more likely that it will be carried along to any new devices since major developers are still not coming on board. The 3G and 4G PBs are also still just rumors and even in a dismal earnings call where anything could have been presented as a future positive, there was not even a hint. Keep the device because it is a good device that works for you, and because a few useful apps may pop up over time, but don't assume it will ever be more than it is.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    the tail on the donkey.

Why is that such a huge logical leap? It's perfectly common to upgrade a 3-year-old (or older)desktop to a more recent version of Windoze. A hardware platform that's less than 3 years old shouldn't be anywhere near obsolete. To suggest otherwise is an endorsement for development of even more landfills for techno-waste.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

It takes time to build up the app catalogue. Apple didn't get there overnight, or even in a year. RIM needs to set the stage right for developers to come on board, and just keep on innovating/pushing out next-gen hardware. So far so good, they just have to hang on. The reason why not many app developers are not targeting BB platform yet is not just because of increased development costs, but also because of a lack of momentum in the developer community. When a sizable number of recognized dev studios move over, the rest are not going to stay put where they are. Until that happens, we'll only be seeing a trickle of new developers. I like what MS is doing with regards to this aspect.

Anyway, the PB has longevity - hardware specs and OS. Definitely a keeper.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    Congratulations on winning the RIM cheer leader of the day award. Lots of wishful thinking but that is about it. There is no reason to assume that BB10 will solve app problems. It is far more likely that it will be carried along to any new devices since major developers are still not coming on board. The 3G and 4G PBs are also still just rumors and even in a dismal earnings call where anything could have been presented as a future positive, there was not even a hint. Keep the device because it is a good device that works for you, and because a few useful apps may pop up over time, but don't assume it will ever be more than it is.
    Thanks for keeping it real and sour! It wouldn't do to allow any enthusiasm to go long unchallenged on this board.

RIM got its ownself stuck in the mud and its taken a lot of effort to get unstuck before they could even think of catching up. It simply wasn't an option to stick where they were until BB10 was ready. So they released QNX on the Playbook, 1.0, now 2.0 and moved to 7.0 on the handhelds. You can make yourself nuts with labels, but if 7.0 and 7.1 are interim or stopgap OS's, they still represent a step forward and I'm glad to have it. If I were a developer I'd be encouraged by the direction. Other companies who didn't have RIM's specific problems seem to have churned along as they always do, upgrading their OS's over the course of months or even a year. In that sense, all OS's are interim.

But what I think and I hope I see in BB10 is RIM's delivering on the promise of using QNX as the basis for a cross-platform foundation upon which it will build for a longer time going forward. I'm not a developer and I can see the value in that. There is competition in the developer segment, too. It makes sense to me that someone will figure that Blackberry is an underserved market and that it makes more sense to compete there than in the over-crowded alternatives.
    Lumia 1520, Passport -- Surface Pro 3
    kazakoshi likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    Yup your right there is no reason to ASSUME anything. Nor is there reason to believe hype up or down. Results are all that matter. RIM is still in business today that's all that really matters.

To all that enjoy your devices (whatever they might be) rock on, your the ones pushing tech! And to all the nanny naysayers, give us a break, the world is messed up enough with out the continuation of negativity over (of all things) electronic devices...
    Creaulx likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3306A0F0

i just got my 64gb, and for sure I will keep it. Im waiting for BB10. and YES it will be on PB too. crackberry/kevin post a blog about it. Rims confirmed they will also release an update BB10 for PB users even the 2.0 is still fresh. I hope there would be more Bridges..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    987 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derwent Graphite View Post
    It takes time to build up the app catalogue. Apple didn't get there overnight, or even in a year. RIM needs to set the stage right for developers to come on board, and just keep on innovating/pushing out next-gen hardware. So far so good, they just have to hang on. The reason why not many app developers are not targeting BB platform yet is not just because of increased development costs, but also because of a lack of momentum in the developer community. When a sizable number of recognized dev studios move over, the rest are not going to stay put where they are. Until that happens, we'll only be seeing a trickle of new developers. I like what MS is doing with regards to this aspect.

Anyway, the PB has longevity - hardware specs and OS. Definitely a keeper.
    It's not really the quantity of apps but rather the quality of apps. It seems like hardly any major players want to develop for the PB so you end up with a bunch of apps that look like they were developed at someone's basement. That and the fact that the browser on the PB constantly crashes and still checkerboards a lot makes it hard to want to keep the it. I don't know why even with the superior hardware of the PB the browser is still not buttery smooth like the Jesus pad.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Just ask!

Im def keeping! the apps will come. Best experience so far out of the major tablets. i own 5 tablets First gen isomething or other and isomething or other2 , Gslate. 2 playbooks. The I's and G collect dust. PB is portable great screen best browsing and just gets it done for me!!! End of story!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I'll also keep my 9900 and playbook until they don't work anymore (memory is flashed out or on-board circuits fail), because it'll last me 4-5 years or more anyways!