Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree216Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Of course that's something you shouldn't do, it's the rule number one of USB ports, I bet, in contrast, you're very careful with the USB ports on your computer.
    That's funny, because every device i've ever handled,i've used it while charging. And judging by the number of posts i've seen from other people in regards to charging time whilst using an item, I'd say that it is fairly common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackB_G View Post
    Really not sure how you claim to be able to put the USB charger in USB port upside down. I'm trying it right now on my PlayBook and it would not go in. You have to absolutely forcefully wriggle it in for that to happen and if you somehow decided to force yours in and then damage it.. In my opinion it seems common sense should have told you to wait, think.. maybe you're doing it wrongly and should turn it over then see if it goes in without and resistance. If you came to me moaning about it being damaged when you or someone in your home forced it in i'd ask you to go buy a new one and bounce real quick.
    You really need to learn how to quote better.

Initially the microUSB wasn't able to go in upside down. But after countless uses, the metal alloy weakened, thus making it malleable, which then made it able to go in either way. Of course, it didn't help that the male prong on the PB had gotten bent as well from failed attempts. Point being, i've NEVER had this issue with any device i've ever used, other than the PB. But it is/was overall a POS anyways, and why even for $140, i still wouldn't buy another one.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Thanked by:
    bk1022 (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Default Re: Why so many BB hating trolls? An open letter to Thorsten Heins

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    That's funny, because every device i've ever handled,i've used it while charging. And judging by the number of posts i've seen from other people in regards to charging time whilst using an item, I'd say that it is fairly common practice.

You really need to learn how to quote better.

Initially the microUSB wasn't able to go in upside down. But after countless uses, the metal alloy weakened, thus making it malleable, which then made it able to go in either way. Of course, it didn't help that the male prong on the PB had gotten bent as well from failed attempts. Point being, i've NEVER had this issue with any device i've ever used, other than the PB. But it is/was overall a POS anyways, and why even for $140, i still wouldn't buy another one.
    The issue is being careful. I'm careful with my stuff and haven't had an issue. However, we get a lot of phones sent for repair due to damaged usb ports from stress.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,784 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Get out of my head. I thought I was the only one thinking m "JFC on a cracker, put down the thesaurus and stop fapping at how the big words make you sound super smart".

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry Stephen Fry, but I'm offended by that
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    Trash talkers are not trolls, they are not paid shills, they are former loyal BlackBerry customers who have been aggravated by RIM in some unbelievable way and they are legion. The real way to turn RIM around is to get those true loyal customers back. Because they are the marketing base that RIM simply cannot afford to lose. Get it? RIM is not going to succeed without these former loyal customers. They are not going to succeed by selling phones below cost in developing nations giving full access to BIS with minimal subscription revenues. You don't make money changing four quarters for a dollar no matter how much business volume you generate. RIM's fan base is shrinking and their angry former customers are growing. Marketing doesn't get you out of that hole.
    What I don't get is why these "trash talkers/trolls" feel the need to talk sh!t about RIM in the first place...regardless if you feel justified because you had a bad experience or not. Do those people honestly think making a disparaging comment about RIM or a RIM product on a tech blog is going to force them (RIM) to correct the issue? Do those people think bashing the PlayBook or any other RIM device is going to make me like it any less or make me want to replace it with a product from another platform? I honestly don't get the trolls on this site.. and on iBGR... just go be happy with the platform/product that you are currently using and stop pissing in everyone else's bathwater... While RIM should stand by their products (which I think they do), they can't replace/fix every broken tablet or phone for free (I read a post recently of someone being utterly pissed off at RIM because they dropped their PlayBook and it got damaged... REALLY?!?!?). While your issue might have been a hardware defect and not mistreatment, was your PB out of warranty? If so, sorry buddy.. better luck next time. My guess is that Samsumg, HTC, or Apple would do the same thing.. broken device out of warranty.. suck it up and buy a new one.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MADBRADNYC View Post
    I apologize.
    I couldn't get past the first paragraph.
    That's just me though....
    I got as far as "Dear Thorsten Heins," and realized it wasn't worth my time.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

The mini USB port on my Bold 9000 broke after 3 years of use (but no ABuse), and I was pretty ticked that it fried the phone in the process. Maybe I should have called RIM and complained to them about a shoddy port. Instead, I've bought 6 other BB devices since that happened.

After my first PB, I read on this forum that constantly plugging a USB charger could damage the port, so I bought a dock. Problem averted. Of all people, a computer engineer should know what the weakest part of a device is - one that sees the most physical stress. No sympathy at all.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (11-30-2012) 
    qbnkelt and pantlesspenguin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    Sorry Stephen Fry, but I'm offended by that
    See.....you had to say Stephen Fry, which in my mind is Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie....and while I can't post the most interesting language here, I got a laugh out of this one...

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

The people who replied seem to have missed the obvious, which is that I am Canadian. I've suffered through Bell, Rogers, Air Canada, major Canadian banks, and I'm pretty sure I physically suffered from XL Foods (it took a Brazilian firm that time). RIM is turning out to be no different. People love to complain about Canadian companies until an American comes in wrests control from us and makes it better, then we get all defensive. Actually, that's a theme of Canadian corporations, they get big under some monopoly position and then they wallow in their own massive incompetence protected either by a regulated monopoly position or they end up being taken over by Americans. I'm sure replies will explain how RIM is not following this pattern.

Secondly, you can blame me all you want that I abused my PlayBook and was somehow responsible for breaking the port, but I did not. There are plenty of online complaints about the port breaking, it is a known issue, and RIM doesn't care to make the problem stop. They could very simply sell the unit with a rapid charger instead of a USB charger, but then I guess they wouldn't make money selling rapid chargers. Good on them -- instead of giving away rapid chargers, they just don't sell anything. To sell a tablet that will break within a couple of years, maybe faster if you don't guard the USB port with your life is not what I expect as "RIM" quality. Had I known the product would fail so quickly and easily, I would not have bought it.

Yes, to those who said, look it's a $99 gadget, just get over it, I say, I have gotten over it (although I didn't pay just $99 for it), I will buy an Android tablet that will work for years and offer significantly greater value. It bothers me as a Canadian that yet another Canadian company will fail because it emulates American business practice, but it does so with Canadian economies of scale, and so it fails when exposed to competition.

Lastly, you guys just live with your heads in the sand. The point of my post was to explain why CrackBerry forums are unique in having such a high ratio of people who hang around talking dirt on RIM. It is uncanny that a corporation achieving irrelevance so quickly would still have so many detractors instead of just being relegated to oblivion. Yes, RIM has a millions upon millions of customers, but they lose money in that square. Why doesn't RIM report what products those customers are using and how much revenue they get from each type of customer? It's because they don't just lose some money, they are losing material amounts of money. And anyway, how long do they have left exactly? They've been selling mobile phone products for years now that come out of the box barely able to surf the web, and yet there are so many people on CrackBerry still spending so much time eloquently and intelligently trash talking RIM. I offer the reason.

Trash talkers are not trolls, they are not paid shills, they are former loyal BlackBerry customers who have been aggravated by RIM in some unbelievable way and they are legion. The real way to turn RIM around is to get those true loyal customers back. Because they are the marketing base that RIM simply cannot afford to lose. Get it? RIM is not going to succeed without these former loyal customers. They are not going to succeed by selling phones below cost in developing nations giving full access to BIS with minimal subscription revenues. You don't make money changing four quarters for a dollar no matter how much business volume you generate. RIM's fan base is shrinking and their angry former customers are growing. Marketing doesn't get you out of that hole.
    Not sure how its "obvious" you are canadian. It doesnt say on your information at the side...

Find it also offensive the way you stereotype american business practice in a negative way.
    Last edited by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes; 11-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

PIN
    27F48177

What a poor poor suffering Canadian, Africa is shedding a tear right now when it heard of your first world problem.

Man up, pay up and get on with your life.
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (11-30-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Not sure how its "obvious" you are canadian. It doesnt say on your information at the side...
    I think we were meant to go through the three pages of the OP's anti-RIM post history in order to glean out that fact.
    I wasn't keen on it last night. I did enjoy his posts quite a lot this morning, though, as I was having breakfast.

As far as an angry former customer base.....I can't wait for the London. Been waiting...impatiently, but been waiting. Been playing and using other devices while I wait, so not all is lost. Learned a lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention.....

A legion is the major unit of the ancient Roman army consisting of 3,000 to 6,000 infantry troops and 100 to 200 cavalry troops. Or an unidentified large number. So no actual data was provided for a measurement, let's go with a Roman army. Taking into account RIM's current user base which is, I believe, somewhere around 80 million subscribers, the incidence of unhappy customers, as measured by the OP's unit of "legion," is negligible.

Which then would suggest that the vast majority of RIM customers are happily using their devices, if one were to reverse the numbers.

No? Ridiculous assertion, right? Considering the loss of marketshare....which goes to prove that when one goes around throwing numbers and words, one opens oneself to scrutiny when assertions are nothing more than rampant hyperbole. Learn about the power of language and words before setting yourself up for unexpected consequences.

To Thor I say that if he has to worry about a legion of unhappy customers, when taking into account an 80 million subscriber base, then he's in the pink.

Then again, Legion is the name of a number of demons or demon. So I guess we're all demonic????

OK, having too much fun here. Not very often one gets to interact with a self proclaimed troll.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #86  

What a poor poor suffering Canadian, Africa is shedding a tear right now when it heard of your first world problem.

Yes, I know, I do have perspective. And like I have said, I've gotten over the problem by moving on to Android. I know someone who is so happy with his Android, he offered to simply comp me one after hearing my story. Yes, there are some good people in the world who aren't tone deaf.

To make it clear, my original complaint here was not to have RIM suddenly rush to my side and fix my tablet for free. After the last couple of years it has become clear that RIM is simply not the kind of company that really cares about its user base, and I am not sufficiently special that they would feel suddenly to have a change of heart. The point of this whole thread is to create a loud enough message that maybe RIM's higher ups might actually hear something they have never understood: each time you annoy your loyal customers, you create disdain that doesn't go away and spreads virulently until you destroy your brand completely. The MicroAB port is poorly design (industry fault) and poorly crafted (RIM's fault). RIM should know this and if they simply admitted it and said sorry but we can't afford to warranty the item but we feel your pain, I actually would have been satisfied. I've been disappointed by RIM in the past. We all have. In the last two years, RIM has shoveled disappointment like no one's business. Also, it's not like this particular incident is more egregious than the rest. It is simply that they remain tone deaf. They need every single former supporter to come back and help them out. From a marketing standpoint, these people are cheap advertising. You can see that there are people out there dying to come back to RIM (otherwise why would they still be here?) but the company cannot bring itself to do anything to help itself.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,025 Global Posts

but the company cannot bring itself to do anything to help itself.
    For the third time (and you've ducked the question every time I've brought it up), what were the results of your letter to Thorsten directly? theins@rim.com

You say you're writing him a letter in this forum that he may or may not see. I've provided an email. Why not send it there?

It's very obvious to want to grandstand on your own soap box, but not actually inform him directly.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Maybe he didn't know his email...
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    dentynefire likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

RIM makes grown men cry, just ask the Rolling Stones:

The Rolling Stones-Start Me Up Live - Budapest July 20 2007 - YouTube
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes, I know, I do have perspective. And like I have said, I've gotten over the problem by moving on to Android. I know someone who is so happy with his Android, he offered to simply comp me one after hearing my story. Yes, there are some good people in the world who aren't tone deaf.

To make it clear, my original complaint here was not to have RIM suddenly rush to my side and fix my tablet for free. After the last couple of years it has become clear that RIM is simply not the kind of company that really cares about its user base, and I am not sufficiently special that they would feel suddenly to have a change of heart. The point of this whole thread is to create a loud enough message that maybe RIM's higher ups might actually hear something they have never understood: each time you annoy your loyal customers, you create disdain that doesn't go away and spreads virulently until you destroy your brand completely. The MicroAB port is poorly design (industry fault) and poorly crafted (RIM's fault). RIM should know this and if they simply admitted it and said sorry but we can't afford to warranty the item but we feel your pain, I actually would have been satisfied. I've been disappointed by RIM in the past. We all have. In the last two years, RIM has shoveled disappointment like no one's business. Also, it's not like this particular incident is more egregious than the rest. It is simply that they remain tone deaf. They need every single former supporter to come back and help them out. From a marketing standpoint, these people are cheap advertising. You can see that there are people out there dying to come back to RIM (otherwise why would they still be here?) but the company cannot bring itself to do anything to help itself.
    And I have the exact opposite experience with RIM supporting their product. I had an issue with one of the OS releases (the bad one that they recalled).. . I installed it before it was recalled but it seemed to work fine. One day, my PB wouldn't boot up no matter how long it was on the charger. I called customer service.. they directed me to technical support.. but I had to disconnect to go to a meeting. The original customer service rep called me back a couple hours later to see if my issue was resolved and offered to patch me in to another technical support rep. I eventually got it fixed without their help and downgraded back to a working OS... but even received a follow-up email just to make sure I was satisfied. While this excellent customer service may not happen in every situation.. and I'm sure it certainly depends on what CS rep you talk to... RIM made me feel like they fully supported their product and that they really valued me as a customer.... Shortly after that incident, I went out and bought two more PlayBooks for the family... and recently bought 2 more as Christmas gifts.. And for the record, I've owned at least 6 BB devices (of various models) and we have 4 PBs in our family... NO ISSUES WITH USB PORTS WHATSOEVER..

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post

Snail mail:

Corporate Head Office

Research In Motion
    295 Phillip Street
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Canada N2L 3W8

email = help@rim.com
    theins@rim.com

Thorsten Heins - Canada | LinkedIn

That was one two second search on Google. Given more inclination, I'm sure I can find a working address for customer complaints. Either would be more direct than go third party through an internet forum.

But going directly to RIM doesn't afford you the ensuing attention getting drama.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,025 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    That's why I listed it three times ...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Nowhere has he said whether or not he was in or out of the warranty period.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by CairnsRock View Post
    Nowhere has he said whether or not he was in or out of the warranty period.
    can we put this to rest? who cares?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #96  

Quote Originally Posted by ALToronto View Post
    The mini USB port on my Bold 9000 broke after 3 years of use (but no ABuse), and I was pretty ticked that it fried the phone in the process. Maybe I should have called RIM and complained to them about a shoddy port. Instead, I've bought 6 other BB devices since that happened.

After my first PB, I read on this forum that constantly plugging a USB charger could damage the port, so I bought a dock. Problem averted. Of all people, a computer engineer should know what the weakest part of a device is - one that sees the most physical stress. No sympathy at all.
    Well by this logic, the ignition interlock in my car should break each year. However, it doesn't because engineers anticipate stress points and compensate for it despite the intense pressure to reduce costs. Does RIM place warnings in their manuals not to use the USB port because doing so will cause it to break?

If it is true that you need to treat a PlayBook with kid gloves so as not to accidentally cause irreparable damage -- and it seems to be the majority opinion of even the most ardent supporters here -- then RIM has a problem. Actually, I wish RIM warned me about that deficiency before I bought it. Many tablets of similar cost and quality do not suffer that type of problem. The person sitting directly to my right at this very moment (who happens to own an iPhone) made a remarkable quote: If iPads suffered this affliction Steve Jobs would turn over in his grave. I can't imagine anyone here making a similar comment about Thorsten Heins (accounting for the fact that he is alive and kicking.)
    CrackBerry Master

OP, ever used the secret? Might work ...

PIN
    27F48177

Let it go and move on man.
    CrackBerry Addict

Ignoring the trolls is exactly the right thing for RIM to do. The two previous CEOs ignored the trolls and RIM's stock shot straight up to $7.

No, I am sorry, but the so-called "trolls" on CB are mostly not the typical troll. There's plenty if thoughtful reflection here that gets thrown into the troll heap.

You're going to need better bait.

Global Posts
    6,971 Global Posts

Default Why so many BB hating trolls? An open letter to Thorsten Heins

Well by this logic, the ignition interlock in my car should break each year. However, it doesn't because engineers anticipate stress points and compensate for it despite the intense pressure to reduce costs. Does RIM place warnings in their manuals not to use the USB port because doing so will cause it to break?

If it is true that you need to treat a PlayBook with kid gloves so as not to accidentally cause irreparable damage -- and it seems to be the majority opinion of even the most ardent supporters here -- then RIM has a problem. Actually, I wish RIM warned me about that deficiency before I bought it. Many tablets of similar cost and quality do not suffer that type of problem. The person sitting directly to my right at this very moment (who happens to own an iPhone) made a remarkable quote: If iPads suffered this affliction Steve Jobs would turn over in his grave. I can't imagine anyone here making a similar comment about Thorsten Heins (accounting for the fact that he is alive and kicking.)
    You obviously dont deal with cars much because ignition switches die all the time as cars get up in age. You are simply saying that trolls aren't trolls so you can troll. Yes the USB port on the Playbook is a possible point of failure and a week point in the design. No device is perfect. And as for Steve Jobs being the pinacle of customer support in your eyes, I counter that with "Your holding it wrong" - Steve Jobs. Enjoy your Android and move on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    MADBRADNYC and lynxs_claw like this.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast