Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,016 Global Posts

I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

I love the PlayBook hardware except for two specific things: The power button that is too hard to press on mine (i've seen others that are better) ... and the USB port.

I know people can plug them in upside down and bend the port, because I've seen it happen to two of my family members with them. I've had to go in both cases and "bend it back". Not suggesting this happens to 'most people', but it happens enough. I had Micro USB BlackBerrys and haven't had an issue. It didn't seem like you could plug it in upside down on them. The PlayBook Micro USB seems a little different, IMO. More flimsy. Surprising for a device that otherwise feels like it's built like a tank. Both of those relatives also have BB phones and haven't had an issue with the USB.

To the original poster, why post the letter here, vs. where Thorsten Heins can read it. Or email him? Isn't his email theins@rim.com?
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Why so many BB hating trolls? An open letter to Thorsten Heins

RIM is not on the cusp of failing. Stock price is an indicator of market sentiment (ie omg all my friends getting android) but not the financial shape. BB10 could be a total flop and it would take years for them to burn thru $10B in assets. They have no debt... what's with all this stubbornness?? THEY have more customers than ever!! and QNX has a lot of potential!

Playbook build quality it amazing. I know 16 people that have playbooks and there was not one problem..not a reboot, not a crash, nothing. One friend complains of slowness but he leaves all his tasks running all the time.. browser has dozens of tabs open. Every page has javascript running nowadays.

Anyway, get over yourself. Your experience doesnt justify an open letter to the ceo.. Just buy a $99 andriod tab and see how you feel. Open letter to Schmidt?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    bungaboy likes this.

Global Posts
    30,792 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I'm not sure if I should tell this story, BUT, my dad recently had an issue with his Kindle Fire which I got him for Christmas last year. The 1 year warranty was almost UP, but I figured I would try to get Amazon to help anyways. Same problem, USB stopped working, as Dad was probably too rough with it, and as other have pointed out they are NOT designed well in general. Amazon replaced the KF without question! As many PB as RIM gives away to developers, and otherwise, what would it have been for them to replace his PB? I think they missed an opportunity here.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I'm not sure if I should tell this story, BUT, my dad recently had an issue with his Kindle Fire which I got him for Christmas last year. The 1 year warranty was almost UP, but I figured I would try to get Amazon to help anyways. Same problem, USB stopped working, as Dad was probably too rough with it, and as other have pointed out they are NOT designed well in general. Amazon replaced the KF without question! As many PB as RIM gives away to developers, and otherwise, what would it have been for them to replace his PB? I think they missed an opportunity here.
    I,ve heard Apple do that also. It must save a whole lot of cycles, rma,s, back and forth, plus customer sat impact is huge. May even be cheaper in the long run.
    CrackBerry Genius

Seems two different issue.... It is easy to find a number of users who have the same issue when you have a million plus users. Does not mean it is systemic. By the OP logic, if the Playbook was dropped by a user then it is RIM's fault for not building it sturdy enough. It does not take much reasoning that if you are not careful, any port can break.... I service computers for a lving... in the olden days I use to see tons of mangled PS2 ports from users shoving their mouse in in the ports carelessly.... still come acrooss this a fair bit of damagw with USB ports. I do not call HP and tell them they did not make their USB steardy enough.... Like every thing that is delecate ( and mico ports are delcate ) you risk damaging it every time you put a plug in it.... Heck... My wife managed to break the IPad's charging port. Does not mean Apple makes bad products.... ( Oh wait.... maybe it does )

For every "horror story"..... there are equal or greater number of satisfied customers. If the criteria for judging a company is one persons experioence.... we would have not companies to purchase from....

As for the trolls.... I miss your connection..... Trolls are everywhere.... I own BB Apple and Android products and spend a lot of time on the various forums. They alll have troll infections.... no worse that BB.... just seems worse when you are on the recieving end of one.... To defeat a troll..... simply ignore them and they go away.....
    CairnsRock likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

LOL @ this.

Trollception from the first line.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  

Ignoring the trolls is exactly the right thing for RIM to do. The two previous CEOs ignored the trolls and RIM's stock shot straight up to $7.

No, I am sorry, but the so-called "trolls" on CB are mostly not the typical troll. There's plenty if thoughtful reflection here that gets thrown into the troll heap.

Also sorry that you think a computer engineer mangled his usb port and that RIM should be happy to lose me as a customer. Maybe RIM should have spent an extra five cents and bought a better port. I'm sure Amphenol could provide one that doesn't break. For the few PB owners out there, I find quite a lot who shared my issue. And anyway that's missing the point, they could have given me a rapid charger for free, or at least gave me a discount on one instead of implying the repairs would be free only to find out nothing is covered.
    bodjor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    Dear Thorsten Heins,

So, Thorsten, if RIM is succeed, it probably needs to do so in wealthy nations, and I implore you and your company to seek out and find every jilted and jaded former ostentatious RIM supporter and make amends before it is too late.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Master

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  

Ostentatious, would mean "outspoken" in this context. It is intended to have a negative context. RIM needs to make amends with those who outwardly reject BB products because they have gone from RIM loyalist to RIM basher. But if you don't understand context, then The Princess Bride is probably the level of english comprehension you should stick with.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,768 Global Posts

It sounds like you're bitter that you broke your tablet. Got mine on release day... I abuse it. Port still works great
    BB4Life
    qbnkelt and dentynefire like this.

Ostentatious, would mean "outspoken" in this context. It is intended to have a negative context. RIM needs to make amends with those who outwardly reject BB products because they have gone from RIM loyalist to RIM basher. But if you don't understand context, then The Princess Bride is probably the level of english comprehension you should stick with.
    http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=ostentatious&o=0&l=dir

Synonyms

http://m.dictionary.com/synonym/oste...?linkId=jluc57

Not one instance of "outspoken" in the lot.

Leading me to point out that my English comprehension is fine. Perhaps the word was beyond yours.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Genius

Ouch!
    That's gotta hurt..................
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (11-30-2012) 
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Was the OP the same person that wanted to litigate this issue with the charger? I thought the rapid charger was on sale for $30 a few weeks back. For $30 dollars the OP could have save him all the time spent it took to write the open letter and consultation with a lawyer.

A good example of sunk cost fallacy?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

OP, I feel your frustration but Research In Motion has made significant strides during the last 6 months. I am not a blind-faith supporter of the company by any means. I have the battle scars from hand-to-hand combat with their "corporate culture." The environment created by Mike and Jim permeated to the lowest levels of management so it surprises me that Thorsten Heins has been able to at least partially fix the broken corporate culture. As I have written in previous messages Research In Motion, the company, and BlackBerry, the brand, has one final opportunity to prove itself a world-class, industry-pioneering organization with BlackBerry 10 in January 2013. However, the attitude espoused by Heins that "third place in the mobile space is good enough" troubles me deeply both as a professional and as a perfectionist. To be honest it is my considered opinion further staff terminations (90%) particularly among the mid-level to lower-level management needs to be enacted in advance of the 30 January 2013 announcement about the launch of BlackBerry 10. If you actually write a real letter to Thorsten Heins, you might want to edit your original message in this thread to reflect the current situation.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Also sorry that you think a computer engineer mangled his usb port and that RIM should be happy to lose me as a customer. Maybe RIM should have spent an extra five cents and bought a better port. I'm sure Amphenol could provide one that doesn't break.
    Research In Motion should have included a magnetic charger cable, not necessarily the rapid charging version, with the BlackBerry PlayBook to reduce the wear-and-tear on the micro-USB port. At most the extra cable would have cost them CAD0.25 (25 cents).
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    I had Micro USB BlackBerrys and haven't had an issue. It didn't seem like you could plug it in upside down on them. The PlayBook Micro USB seems a little different, IMO. More flimsy. Surprising for a device that otherwise feels like it's built like a tank. Both of those relatives also have BB phones and haven't had an issue with the USB.
    You are exactly right, the housing around the micro-USB port on the smartphone is more robust and sturdy than the port on the tablet. A recessed micro-USB port seems dumb from an engineering and aesthetics point of view. A magnetic micro-USB cable might have been a better idea.

I'm reading through your little rant there, and this is what I'm getting.

You're pissed off that RIM wouldn't fix your PlayBook for free (is your warranty expired by the way?). So you're now a disgruntled customer because they've "disrespected" you somehow by giving you a quote for repairs instead of doing it for free, because somehow you feel entitled to it because you've been "loyal" to them even though they never asked for that loyalty. Then you try to reason that a great deal of those unhappy at RIM must also be like you, so RIM should suck up and make nice to you, and those apparently like you.

Gotta love that customer mentality...what makes you think RIM even wants people who think like that? At many of the places where I've worked before, when people got that way and threatened to take their business elsewhere, we encouraged them to do so.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 11-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7
    Thanked by 2:
    pantlesspenguin (11-30-2012),  qbnkelt (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Anyone who reads CB posts will have read in numerous Playbook posts that the start button and usb slot are weaknesses in the hardware design.

Thanks to our fellow Crackberrians and armed with this intelligence, I was able to avoid using the usb port extensively by buying a rapid charger. I also avoid using the start button almost entirely by doing a software restart from the battery icon and never switching the Playbook off.

I dont call myself a computer engineer, but I was smart enough to figure that out. Computer engineer?, well if you say so. Good plumbers and bad plumbers I guess.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=ostentatious&o=0&l=dir ... Leading me to point out that my English comprehension is fine. Perhaps the word was beyond yours.
    http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=ostentatious&o=0&l=dir --> 2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice
    In fact, there is something wrong with your English comprehension.

Anyway, if your sole purpose is to spam this thread, I'll simply start a new thread reiterating that in fact RIM needs to reacquire its formerly loyal fan base who have since become critics who speak not only without reservation, but do so to attract notice.

There are many reasons people have become grossly dissatisfied with RIM. It is not limited to an apparent disrespect of PlayBook owners who find themselves victims of seemingly poorly designed or cheap HDMI / USB ports without recourse or consideration from RIM. My BlackBerry phone can only barely surf CrackBerry forums, and it can do so only with the aid of a third party browser. Let's not forget that it started with broken promises and delays. RIM has repeatedly delayed major projects for years without offering anything to die-hard fans. People repeatedly begged right here on CB for incentives to buy BBOS7 phones early in the year so they could migrate to BB10 phones, but RIM ignored them. RIM shipped PlayBooks without an email app and effectively made it impossible to get a third party email app. Then they lowered the price by 80% without so much as an acknowledgement of how they disrespected early adopters. Did early adopters get any special treatment? No! Nothing. RIM couldn't give a rats behind about them. I wonder what percentage of people who were RIM loyalists Jan 1 2012 remain so now. How many now see RIM still repeating its mistakes and feel the need to protect others from being sucked in? RIM is unique. Nokia lost market share, but die-hard Nokia fans never had a hate on for Nokia. The opposite is true of RIM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

And what if they decided to fix it for free? Would that have made a difference? I sent a ten month old PlayBook in to get the magnetic charging and power button repaired. My PlayBook was repaired and back to me in less than 5 days including the weekend and it cost me zero. It was almost out of warranty too. RIM has my respect and l like you feel like I'm not alone

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...

Anyway, if your sole purpose is to spam this thread, I'll simply start a new thread reiterating that in fact RIM needs to reacquire its formerly loyal fan base who have since become critics who speak not only without reservation, but do so to attract notice.

There are many reasons people have become grossly dissatisfied with RIM. It is not limited to an apparent disrespect of PlayBook owners who find themselves victims of seemingly poorly designed or cheap HDMI / USB ports without recourse or consideration from RIM. My BlackBerry phone can only barely surf CrackBerry forums, and it can do so only with the aid of a third party browser. Let's not forget that it started with broken promises and delays. RIM has repeatedly delayed major projects for years without offering anything to die-hard fans. People repeatedly begged right here on CB for incentives to buy BBOS7 phones early in the year so they could migrate to BB10 phones, but RIM ignored them. RIM shipped PlayBooks without an email app and effectively made it impossible to get a third party email app. Then they lowered the price by 80% without so much as an acknowledgement of how they disrespected early adopters. Did early adopters get any special treatment? No! Nothing. RIM couldn't give a rats behind about them. I wonder what percentage of people who were RIM loyalists Jan 1 2012 remain so now. How many now see RIM still repeating its mistakes and feel the need to protect others from being sucked in? RIM is unique. Nokia lost market share, but die-hard Nokia fans never had a hate on for Nokia. The opposite is true of RIM.
    I was disappointed like many here with all the repeated delays. I've been critical of them where I felt it was justified and valid.

I bought a 32gb PlayBook for $599 on launch day. Did it suck when they price went down? You bet it did. But it's the risk I took as an early adopter. I also bought an iPad 3 last year, and it kinda sucked when they replaced it with an iPad 4 only 7 months after it launched. Guess what? Apple didn't do anything for me either. It would also be nice to get some sort of discount towards a BB10 device with my 9900, but it's not going to bother me if it doesn't happen. I didn't have to get the 9900 and could've just waited for BB10. I am disappointed, but I certainly don't feel disrespected.

At the end of the day RIM and Apple owe me nothing but the actual product and their warranty after I buy their device. In turn, I owe them nothing and can stop using their stuff anytime they stop meeting my needs and expectations. Loyalty? Respect? Those are two qualities I reserve in my relationships with other people, not corporations and the bits of metal, glass and plastic they sell me.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7
    Thanked by 2:
    CairnsRock (11-29-2012),  pantlesspenguin (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #48  

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    ... you've been "loyal" to them even though they never asked for that loyalty ...
    Sorry, for brevity, I included the only part that is relevant. You are right. RIM has never asked that anyone be loyal, nor have they cared for anyone's loyalty. In fact, I don't think they can even recognize it.

Such cannot be said for Apple -- at least while Jobs was around. Apple prided itself on impressing its core customers. It somehow knows the DNA of its most ardent supporters and then gives them what they want. There is a bond that is real. Those supporters get what they want and then go out preaching their found religion and you simply can't buy that kind of marketing.

Google also knows a thing or two about loyalty. They don't live off loyalty in the same way that Apple does, that is true. Google doesn't try to impress with form, but rather with function. It impresses primarily with innovation. Google decided it had a contract with its users: if you depend on us, we promise to innovate. They are relentless. Where Microsoft innovated by "borrowing" things from everyone else, Google's innovations have been nothing short of astounding. In many cases, its innovations serve no purpose other than to build brand loyalty.

RIM knows nothing about loyalty. Here's a PlayBook for $599, and the email client is coming.. No wait, it's coming later... way later. Oh, did you buy in at $599, when we promised the PlayBook was useful? Well, now that we finally released an email client so that you might actually want to use it, we're going to charge $199. For those who bought in at $599, we have a special loyalty program involving you taking a long walk along a short pier. When you get to the end of that pier, by the way, just disregard the sign that says you can buy one now for $99. To be honest, we can barely give them away, but if you bought one and need it fixed, we're just going to charge you $99, because what are you going to do about it? Also, BB10 is right around the corner. We're sorry that you've had to wait years for it, but to be honest, we're not sorry. We'll blame the design delays on vendor sourcing problems that don't apparently exist even though we don't have a product to release anyway. Still waiting? Well, just before we would be held liable for making forward looking statements that seemingly can't be true, we'll issue new guidance that involves waiting even more. And then we'll do it again. We're releasing BB7 phones, which you can buy if you care; we don't. Heck, is North America a city or a country? We have so many subscribers now buying BB7 phones we can't even hear you anymore. Or maybe they're not buying BB7 phones, we're not actually going to tell you what they're buying. All we know is that we have millions more subscribers that end up in the liability column, and that's great for us. You still here? We haven't asked you to leave, but we haven't asked you to stay either, capiche? Well, for some reason you can't take a hint, so we might ask you a question that's been burning in our mind for some time now: What is a "loyalty" used for, and what colour is it?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    I also bought an iPad 3 last year, and it kinda sucked when they replaced it with an iPad 4 only 7 months after it launched. Guess what? Apple didn't do anything for me either.
    I don't think that's a valid comparison. They stopped selling the iPad 3 and it was replaced with the iPad 4, which sold for the same price. Also, I don't think the purchase of an iPad in 2012 would be considered "early adoption" by many. A better comparison would be with the original iPhone. When the original iPhone was released, it sold for $599, a couple months later, they dropped the price to $399. In reaction to complaints by early adopters, Steve Jobs issued an apology and gave the early adopters a $100 Apple gift card.

Apple - To all iPhone customers
    Thanked by:
    bk1022 (11-29-2012) 
    bk1022 and bodjor like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Two points:

#1 electronics are meticulously built products, if you have a habit of breaking yours than opt for a "rugged" designed device...as electronics are electronics, not slabs of stones...

#2 I'm glad RIM chooses to offer an alternative way for the consumer to charge a device; as not many other manufactures do...my user error broke the miniusb port on my old 8310 (I used to charge it with the slip pouch pressing against it) luckily, I had the option to buy a charging dock as an alternative

Sorry to be nit-picky but anyone owning these types of devices (apple, android, rim, windows) should be aware that they can break, it just comes with the territory...taking a little more care of the components can go a long way
    Last edited by sibeans; 11-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast