Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why so many BB hating trolls? An open letter to Thorsten Heins

Dear Thorsten Heins,

As you know, RIM, as a company is on the cusp of failing. Its stock price is still down 90% from its highs. Current phone stock is outdated. PlayBooks have not sold well and now the tablet space is crowded. There has been a prolonged issue with app availability. And delays have annoyed the client base causing them to migrate away from a once robust platform. The company seems to have a last best hope with BB10 phones. Even under the best of circumstances, RIMs path to success is still a difficult one.

So, why are there so many RIM hating trolls? Up until recently, I held the belief that they were simply paid shills. I no doubt suppose that some are shills for competitors, but recently I had a Eureka moment. I, a strong supporter of RIM and its BlackBerry brand for several years have endured the shared disappointment we all know and yet still remained undaunted. There is something about BlackBerry, as a brand that has let it acquire an ostentatious group of supporters who were willing to support RIM through thick and thin. All they asked for in return was respect. And so I went out and purchased a PlayBook nearly a year ago. Surprisingly, with normal usage, the tablet broke. Specifically, the USB port broke and apparently I am not alone. In fact, the more I dug around, the more I realized that the USB port is simply a part that will fail through normal use. This is not the typical failure mode of a tablet. Most tablets fail due to poor handling. This, it would seem was simply a problem that could be avoided only by avoiding use of the tablet itself. Waiting for transport at an Airport, while I stared at my BlackBerry phone, I was asked, just a week ago if I could recommend BlackBerry as a brand. I replied that no longer could I do so because RIM does not stand by its products.

The beginning of my service-ticket ordeal seemed to go well. A FedEx deliveryman showed up and whisked my tablet away and everything seemed bright and rosy. I was excited to tell my tale of how RIM, even though it could pull nothing else off recently, at least had customer service so great that it should have been the subject of ridicule by fellow Canadian corporations. Sadly, the experience soured rather quickly and began resembling the familiar Canadian corporations we know and love so dearly. The devolution was rapid and brief: the repair bill was the cost of a new PlayBook. Retrospectively, I should have expected no less from a Canadian corporation. There was no satisfaction to be had -- the magnanimity of Canadian corporate culture finally reared its ugly head.

Why is this important? To be sure, I sent a PlayBook to be repaired, but having declined its repair, I will receive a brick in return. And suddenly, with a broad huff of disrespect, RIM created a new persona for me. I was someone who could see all that was good in RIM. I am someone who is certainly ostentatious and loyal. However, now I no longer stand in the corner for RIM, nor do I expect ever to again. I will be shedding my current BlackBerry phone and tablet as soon as opportunity permits. Yet, I feel the need to stay here as a member of the CrackBerry community. Why would someone do this?

It seems, RIM has done what no competitor could have dreamed: it has created a person who genuinely participates in the core BlackBerry community, yet feels grand resentment at the company the community was assembled to represent. And so, I must say, I suspect I am not alone. The great and knowledgeable people here who seem jilted or jaded and are labeled as trolls, instead I suspect, are in the same place as myself... Like a person who has converted religion, we are people who wished that RIM could have been what it promised. We are people who endured its failures, but somehow RIM managed still, to disrespect us in some way so injurious, that the number of RIM bashing trolls sometimes seems to outnumber RIM loyalists even on the home turf that is CB.

So, Thorsten, if RIM is succeed, it probably needs to do so in wealthy nations, and I implore you and your company to seek out and find every jilted and jaded former ostentatious RIM supporter and make amends before it is too late.
    CrackBerry Genius

Out of curiosity, did you happen to ask RIM how much the repairs would be before you sent your tablet to be repaired or did you just assume that RIM would repair your device for free?
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Ok you didnt have to insult Canada in this letter. If you are upset, send this to RIM. Leave us out of it.
    Thanked by 9:
    antiRIM (11-30-2012),  BigBadWulf (11-29-2012),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-30-2012),  DuexNoir (11-30-2012),  Plazmic Flame (11-30-2012),  qbnkelt (11-30-2012),  rotorwrench (11-30-2012),  Shanerredflag (11-30-2012),  Syrous44 (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

It's a $120 gadget. Get over it and move on. Not worth it to be so emotionally invested in a corporation.
    Thanked by 2:
    qbnkelt (11-30-2012),  Shanerredflag (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

I feel your pain. It sucks when one of my gadgets break and I also get a bit emotional. However, I have bought several PlayBooks since launch and I haven't had to return any yet - even with my 3 year old plugging in her charger almost everyday (she's a power user). That said, I know I might be the exception in the group that has 5 or more PlayBooks with no hardware issues. I also wouldn't expect the manufacturer to fix or replace a product that I broke - accidentally or otherwise. I'm really sorry you feel the way you do but it's BlackBerry forever for me. All the best on whichever other platform you choose.

I'm not sure Thor will know what a troll is
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

You could buy a charging dock for $34 on Amazon. It doesnt use the usb port.
    Thanked by 3:
    bungaboy (11-29-2012),  pkcable (11-29-2012),  Superfly_FR (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts

Dude... I'm actually amazed...
    Yes, I do feel sorry for you.
    Some people like to build things
    Some people like to tear things down
    Be a builder, people will like you more.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

OP,
    You are plugging the wire wrong. Anything will break if abused. What you term "normal" might be hard on the device.
    I got the PB at launch. Used daily and nothing has broken on it. I know of four others one of which is not kind to his devices, but his PB has had no problems either.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
    qbnkelt and xenomorph113 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28A006EA

Default Why so many BB hating trolls? An open letter to Thorsten Heins

I feel your pain and I get depressed when my gadgets fail as well. But that being said, my BB devices through the years have been solid devices that have never given any problem.

I respect your decision to stay at CB even though you will dispose of your BB soon. But don't stay with resentment in you as this will create a negative attitude and your comments and opinions won't be welcomed here any further. Stay and contribute, hoping that one day, you will feel the same type of love you once had for RIM and pick up a BB again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (11-29-2012) 
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Canada has nothing to do with RIM. Because a company is based there the locals may get thrilled but the company is about one thing and that of course is profit. Canada is a great nation of people and because you are upset is no reason to target them. You should sux it up and buy a 64g PlayBook it is cheaper than ipad.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

if RIM has a $ for every `open letter`...........lol

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    qbnkelt and steve911 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

still no excuse to become a hater, sorry, try again..........
    Thanked by:
    mnhockeycoach99 (11-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

I apologize.
    I couldn't get past the first paragraph.
    That's just me though....
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    qbnkelt, lorax1284 and Jake Storm like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

Aren't you the one that was complaining about it being broken and that your daughter uses it, also didn't the same thing happen to your hdmi port. Personally I think it's you jamming the cables in the wrong port. I've owned my playbook for over a year and have no problems with this note has my mom's or my girlfriends.

You are truly a tool to insult an nation simply because you are not happy about the service you think you deserve. Usb ports don't just break they breakfrom faulty use ie putting in backwards putting in the wrong connector bending the connector while it's in.
    lnichols, qbnkelt, kbz1960 and 4 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    Usb ports don't just break they breakfrom faulty use ie putting in backwards putting in the wrong connector bending the connector while it's in.
    Not saying the OP case wasn't abuse, but your statement is just false.

The mini and micro USB ports on portable devices (all of them) are poorly designed and implemented. They are held on by 2 small solder points to the circuit board and a faulty solder job is common. I have re soldered the USB ports on 5 devices, and know of at least a dozen more that have failed on phones where there was no room to resolder it.

I think the point the OP was trying to make was that his device failed with what is a common problem throughout the industry and RIM wanted the cost of a new device to fix it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

The people who replied seem to have missed the obvious, which is that I am Canadian. I've suffered through Bell, Rogers, Air Canada, major Canadian banks, and I'm pretty sure I physically suffered from XL Foods (it took a Brazilian firm that time). RIM is turning out to be no different. People love to complain about Canadian companies until an American comes in wrests control from us and makes it better, then we get all defensive. Actually, that's a theme of Canadian corporations, they get big under some monopoly position and then they wallow in their own massive incompetence protected either by a regulated monopoly position or they end up being taken over by Americans. I'm sure replies will explain how RIM is not following this pattern.

Secondly, you can blame me all you want that I abused my PlayBook and was somehow responsible for breaking the port, but I did not. There are plenty of online complaints about the port breaking, it is a known issue, and RIM doesn't care to make the problem stop. They could very simply sell the unit with a rapid charger instead of a USB charger, but then I guess they wouldn't make money selling rapid chargers. Good on them -- instead of giving away rapid chargers, they just don't sell anything. To sell a tablet that will break within a couple of years, maybe faster if you don't guard the USB port with your life is not what I expect as "RIM" quality. Had I known the product would fail so quickly and easily, I would not have bought it.

Yes, to those who said, look it's a $99 gadget, just get over it, I say, I have gotten over it (although I didn't pay just $99 for it), I will buy an Android tablet that will work for years and offer significantly greater value. It bothers me as a Canadian that yet another Canadian company will fail because it emulates American business practice, but it does so with Canadian economies of scale, and so it fails when exposed to competition.

Lastly, you guys just live with your heads in the sand. The point of my post was to explain why CrackBerry forums are unique in having such a high ratio of people who hang around talking dirt on RIM. It is uncanny that a corporation achieving irrelevance so quickly would still have so many detractors instead of just being relegated to oblivion. Yes, RIM has a millions upon millions of customers, but they lose money in that square. Why doesn't RIM report what products those customers are using and how much revenue they get from each type of customer? It's because they don't just lose some money, they are losing material amounts of money. And anyway, how long do they have left exactly? They've been selling mobile phone products for years now that come out of the box barely able to surf the web, and yet there are so many people on CrackBerry still spending so much time eloquently and intelligently trash talking RIM. I offer the reason.

Trash talkers are not trolls, they are not paid shills, they are former loyal BlackBerry customers who have been aggravated by RIM in some unbelievable way and they are legion. The real way to turn RIM around is to get those true loyal customers back. Because they are the marketing base that RIM simply cannot afford to lose. Get it? RIM is not going to succeed without these former loyal customers. They are not going to succeed by selling phones below cost in developing nations giving full access to BIS with minimal subscription revenues. You don't make money changing four quarters for a dollar no matter how much business volume you generate. RIM's fan base is shrinking and their angry former customers are growing. Marketing doesn't get you out of that hole.
    bodjor likes this.
    CrackBerry User

OP, you appear to be one of the "trolls" you referenced in your thread title.
    PlayBook 64 + Ubuntu 12.04
    qbnkelt, Jake Storm and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Quote Originally Posted by pillswoj View Post
    Not saying the OP case wasn't abuse, but your statement is just false.

The mini and micro USB ports on portable devices (all of them) are poorly designed and implemented. They are held on by 2 small solder points to the circuit board and a faulty solder job is common. I have re soldered the USB ports on 5 devices, and know of at least a dozen more that have failed on phones where there was no room to resolder it.
    You beat me to it. I had three USB ports quit working on three different BB Curves. I didn't do anything to them. They simply quit working.

As for the Canadian cracks, just remember. You have Tim Horton's. Americans don't. I could go for a TH donut right about now. Blows every donut I have ever had in America out of the water.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Desktoper View Post
    OP, you appear to be one of the "trolls" you referenced in your thread title.
    Did you read anything I wrote? Of course I am and I explained how it happened.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,264 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    I will buy an Android tablet that will work for years and offer significantly greater value.
    Do a GOOGLE search on "Nexus 7 Charging Port Broken", and see what comes up. Nexus 7 uses a Micro USB port to charge too. Then do a search on just "Micro USB port broken" and see what comes up. The Micro USB ports for any device are more fragile than Mini USB. However to keep devices thin, it is a necessary evil as the only standardized thin data/charging port available. RIM has provided an alternate way to charge, and the Playbook can have data put on it wirelessly, so you are not dead in the water. I'm sorry that you are upset, but I don't think that any company is going to fix a broke USB port for free on an out of warranty device. They have to pay someone for the time and labor to disassemble, fix and reassemble the device. RIM offered up a two year extended Warranty with the Playbook that you could have purchased that included accidental breakage too. You may be able to fix the device yourself using the iFixIt teardown too if you have some electronics skills.

Also your statement about Trash Talkers are all former users just simply isn't universally true. Their are obviously former bitter users on here (most of whom seem to be people that were apparently sodomized by their BlackBerry Storm's based on the deep hatred they have for a freaking PHONE), obviously people on here trash talking that haven't used a Blackberry ever, obviously people here that assume that their locked down corporate device is how the Blackberry experience is for all, and obviously people on here who are platform champions that will trash talk any device that isn't what they deem acceptable or are using.
    Thanked by 2:
    Jake Storm (12-01-2012),  rotorwrench (11-30-2012) 
    steve911, Dapper37, Snap51 and 5 others like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

I highly doubt they are trying to scam you. I have yet to break mine after buying it on release week and I use it all the time like the majority of users. The USB broke because you forced it the wrong way or bent the connector further than it should be. IMO it isn't RIMs fault, people want technology smaller all the time so these things will happen unless you go all wireless and that increases cost. PBs are cheap these days so get one before you can't.
    Jake Storm and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    331EEA46

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. I returned my original playbook (under warrenty) twice for a "memory allocation" issue, the first time they said.. "we fixed it" and it continued to happen. The second time i pressed them for a full replacement, which they provided. The point being that my support and return experience, while not pain free, was no worse than most companies i have dealt with and in the end i was satisfied.

as for the usb, it is certainly not a BB usb design issue. the USB port is poorly designed and i have had this same port break on a camera as well as an android tablet and an samsung phone.

That being said, 3 playbooks in my family and 10 at work (used by reckless employees) and only 1 usb port issue so far. We bought a rapid charger from amazon for $18 and all is well again.
    qbnkelt, Jake Storm and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by pillswoj View Post
    Apple solved the USB port problem.
    iPads don't have them.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Do a GOOGLE search on "Nexus 7 Charging Port Broken", and see what comes up.
    I did..and there is very little there lol. There was a few posts on XDA about it, but they also have been fixed or solved, which means they weren't really hardware issues. And some of the search brings up results from the Galaxy Nexus phone, but again, very little for problems.

With my PB (which no longer works), I can understand the frustration with the micro usb port. It's the ONLY device i've used (and almost everything I have is microUSB) where I was able to put the charger in upside down. Every other device I have I couldn't jam it in upside down even with some force..and yet for whatever reason on the PB, this was easily accomplished.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast