Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Ok so I just impersonated my girlfriend on her behalf of course (like she had a choice ) to a Netflix CSR. I have to say its difficult to tell if they try to relate to you to provide better service or if they really do. Anyway this guy said his mother had a PB and she wants him to make it happen. Long story short he says that there is agreements that need to be signed etc...which maybe true but and complained that other platforms have had it for awhile it wasn't fair to leave PB unloved, back to the agreement excuse. Then I tell him that Plex is on PB but Netflix should have their own app. He wasn't aware that Plex was on PB. Hopefully they see this as competition and get an app to us.

Apparently they have tons of innovations coming but if it doesn't include BB10 then bye bye Netflix not like I owe them anything.
    CrackBerry Master

There is something about the way a Blackberry device works that precludes it from getting Netflix....
    ...My guess is that it's something about the security or some type of secret sauce RIM would have to provide.
    ...And RIM isn't going to do that.

It boils down in the consumers mind that a Blackberry simply doesn't have the functionality a Droid, Iphone or WP has...
    ...A consumer simply asks the person selling a Blackberry if it can do A, B & C.
    ...The short answer is NO, it can't - the consumer could care less WHY that is, that it can't do it is enough for them to walk away.

It's only those of us who love Blackberry that spend time trying to figure out why our loved device seems to always be the odd man out....
    ....With those popular APPS that ARE ( not might be ), in reality, the STAPLE of a smartphone platform TODAY.
    ....RIM has the market share it has TODAY not because of what their devices can do but because of what their devices CAN'T DO.

When BB10 comes out the device will either be able to use the popular APPS the other devices can use or it will not....
    ...The only option for RIM at that point will be an attempt to brag about features such as "peek" and "flow".
    ...The average consumer will immediately think peek and flow from what Application?
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,603 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    There is something about the way a Blackberry device works that precludes it from getting Netflix....
    ...My guess is that it's something about the security or some type of secret sauce RIM would have to provide.
    ...And RIM isn't going to do that.

It boils down in the consumers mind that a Blackberry simply doesn't have the functionality a Droid, Iphone or WP has...
    ...A consumer simply asks the person selling a Blackberry if it can do A, B & C.
    ...The short answer is NO, it can't - the consumer could care less WHY that is, that it can't do it is enough for them to walk away.

It's only those of us who love Blackberry that spend time trying to figure out why our loved device seems to always be the odd man out....
    ....With those popular APPS that ARE ( not might be ), in reality, the STAPLE of a smartphone platform TODAY.
    ....RIM has the market share it has TODAY not because of what their devices can do but because of what their devices CAN'T DO.

When BB10 comes out the device will either be able to use the popular APPS the other devices can use or it will not....
    ...The only option for RIM at that point will be an attempt to brag about features such as "peek" and "flow".
    ...The average consumer will immediately think peek and flow from what Application?
    Very much true, Apps are simply the foundation to big market share and Hopefully Thor has seen this light and can close the app gap they have in BB 10.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

When you look at the question from a logical point of view, it kind of puts things into perspective... and you could also try to look at it in a positive way.

Let's say, there was no Netflix app on the Playbook because...

1) The market for the Playbook is extremely less than BlackBerry smartphones
    2) They already knew BlackBerry 10 was coming so they were waiting to code for that instead of the Playbook OS.

I think waiting for BB10 would be a smart move because on day one (or whenever the Playbook gets BB10) they'll have both fields covered (tablets & smartphones)

If I was a multiplatform app company, I wouldn't have wasted my time with the Playbook to be honest. I think being ready for BB10 is where the big prize is at. I would like to believe that Netflix is one of those companies that has been secretly been working with BlackBerry Devs to be ready for launch.

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
    The OP's logic seems off to me:
    1) The quoted section has the CEO outright stating they are bullish about tablets. That does not jive with the OP's conclusion that Netflix does not like tablets.
    2) Cellphone data caps are BAD for Netflix. The data caps means an additional cost to watch a movie (a 700 mb movie, uses up 33% of your 2GB data plan, costing about $5-$10 depending on your plan cost). This makes Netdlix less valuable in consumer eyes.
    In fact, the correct interpretation of the CEO's remarks are that because tablets are on wifi, and not data capped cell plans, they are bullish on it.

There is a simple reason why Netflix isn't on the PB. North American sales of the PB are too low. Anyone who thinks there is some vast conspiracy behind it, is most likely wrong.
    I buy what you're saying except for this line. How many is enough to have it make sense for Netflix to write an app. 500K, 2M, 5M, 10M to sign up? Isn't Netflix really hurting for subscribership resulting from price increases, competition, DVD rentals not going so well? Right now there's probably 2 million playbook users out there and many are screaming for Netflix. If that generates a quarter of those users as new customers than doesn't translate into about $48 million in revenue a year ($8/mo*500K*12)? Doesn't that help their bottomline? And the playbook is still being sold..

What else do they need to implement to make that happen other than some time developed for the app.. I don't believe they have to add anything else to their infrastructure. Geez, you have Western Digital and Asus Oplay Media Boxes with Netflix on them.. and you can't make an app for 2 million playbook users. Sorry I just don't buy it.. from a company whose business is not doing well right.. still doesn't make sense to me.
    dentynefire likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

A sale is a sale and given that RIM said it would "help" Netflix by sending over it's own team.......
    ...That tells me it's something about the way Blackberry is designed that prevents it from running Netflix like everyone else can.
    ...So, if there is no downside as to the cost of building the app - what's the hold up other than the tech to stream Netflix is beyond the berry?
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default Re: Why Netflix is not on Playbook?

Heck my toshiba blue ray player has a netflix app. I don't know if Netflix is going to build an app for BB10 but I do know BB10 will have play on. With play on you have access to many shows,movies,networks and even subscriptions to services like Netflix and Hulu plus are available. So even if Netflix does not buils an app for BlaxkBerry10 , You will still be able to watch Netflix on BlackBerry10.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by koolrosh View Post
    Why Netflix is not on Playbook.

I have been reading a lot of posts on Crackberry asking why Netflix is not on Playbook with some people going as far as cancelling their Netflix membership because they claim "Netflix does not support Blackberry". I do not agree with this statement and I am here to explain why Netflix does not currently have an app on the Playbook.

In order to understand a company's decisions you have to put yourself in their shoes and recognize how these decisions will add value to the company and ultimately add to their top line. That's how most CEOs think when they make business decisions.

The following quote from Reed Hastings (CEO of Netfflix) gives us a good understanding of how Netflix sees the growth of tablets in terms of business potential.

Simply put, Netflix does not see tablets as a way to add new subscribers to their service, especially those tablets with Wi-Fi-only capability (the Playbook). They see tablet apps as a "feature" that only makes it more convenient for their subscribers to watch Netflix. It is simply a replacement to the laptop, it does add value but doesn't add any moneyto their top line.

Smartphones however are a different story, since most smartphones have data connections and are always used on the go. Netflix sees their mobile apps as a way to add new subscribers. Some users would gladly pay the 8$/month to watch watch a show every morning on the bus on their way to work. And the reason why Netflix is currently on both the iPad and Android tablets is because both operating systems are also used in smartphones. It makes sense for Netlfix to create apps for smartphones because it sees these devices as a way of getting more new subscribers. The Playbook OS on the other hand is only available on the tablet and is only available in Wifi, so most people that are using a Playbook are using it in their homes or office as a replacement to their Laptops.

Now some people might say that Netflix should at least develop an app for BB7. This again would not make sense, because the company would be developing an app for a dying platform that will soon be obsolete, especially in the markets that Netflix currently serves (US, Canada, LatAm, UK)

So I am confident that once BB10 launches, we will see a BB10 Netflix app for smartphones and eventually we will have one for the Playbook. That, even if RIM doesn't sell that many units in its first year. In the past, Netflix has developed apps for products that it thought would drive subscriber growth even if they hadn't sold that many units (ex: PS Vita which has sold only 1.8 million units to date). Given the fact that Netflix is currently operating in markets where Blackberry is actually popular (Canada, UK, Latin America), a Netflix app is imminent!

-Cyrus
    Uh, no. It doesn't matter to Netflix if the tablet is wi-fi or not or if the phone is wi-fi or over cellular.
    And I do not agree. If people want to watch their programs primarily on a tablet and not their computer or on tv, then it is an acquisition vehicle.

The reason is solely that there are not enough PlayBooks out there to make the development of an app worth it. If they feel there will be 40 million BB10 devices, including Playbooks, then that is a different story.
    Banned

My guess.. First look at the user base of Netflix..

Why Netflix is not on Playbook?-netflix-hulu-viewing.png

- Then Silverlight issue.. BlackBerry does not support Silverlight and Netflix uses Silverlight

- BB and Netflix markets do not match besides NA where BB Netflix user % is so low that RIM paying money for those few does not make sense.

- BB does not support Netflix streaming.. So my guess, Netflix needs to alter it's streaming type to support BlackBerry.. which they will not.. So additional development costs for RIM.

- Apple uses it's own developed streaming protocol and Android uses the one dev'd by Apple.

Anyways.. I don't care enough to validate my statements above.. might be wrong.. But everything is shifting to HTML5.. so with BB10 there should not be a problem..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12