Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree10Likes
  1. koolrosh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Why Netflix is not on Playbook?

    Why Netflix is not on Playbook.

    I have been reading a lot of posts on Crackberry asking why Netflix is not on Playbook with some people going as far as cancelling their Netflix membership because they claim "Netflix does not support Blackberry". I do not agree with this statement and I am here to explain why Netflix does not currently have an app on the Playbook.

    In order to understand a company's decisions you have to put yourself in their shoes and recognize how these decisions will add value to the company and ultimately add to their top line. That's how most CEOs think when they make business decisions.

    The following quote from Reed Hastings (CEO of Netfflix) gives us a good understanding of how Netflix sees the growth of tablets in terms of business potential.

    "Tablets are very successful, and people are watching Netflix on lots of tablets. That doesn't make it an acquisition vehicle. It's a great consumption vehicle. And tablets as opposed to phones tend to be Wi-Fi and tend to be used then without data caps. Whereas phones tend to be used on mobile plans, cellular plans that have data caps in the U.S. generally. So we're very bullish on tablets. We're investing heavily in it. We updated our iPad interface and made them much better, and we’re continuing to invest in that. So it's a key part of our strategy."
    Simply put, Netflix does not see tablets as a way to add new subscribers to their service, especially those tablets with Wi-Fi-only capability (the Playbook). They see tablet apps as a "feature" that only makes it more convenient for their subscribers to watch Netflix. It is simply a replacement to the laptop, it does add value but doesn't add any moneyto their top line.

    Smartphones however are a different story, since most smartphones have data connections and are always used on the go. Netflix sees their mobile apps as a way to add new subscribers. Some users would gladly pay the 8$/month to watch watch a show every morning on the bus on their way to work. And the reason why Netflix is currently on both the iPad and Android tablets is because both operating systems are also used in smartphones. It makes sense for Netlfix to create apps for smartphones because it sees these devices as a way of getting more new subscribers. The Playbook OS on the other hand is only available on the tablet and is only available in Wifi, so most people that are using a Playbook are using it in their homes or office as a replacement to their Laptops.

    Now some people might say that Netflix should at least develop an app for BB7. This again would not make sense, because the company would be developing an app for a dying platform that will soon be obsolete, especially in the markets that Netflix currently serves (US, Canada, LatAm, UK)

    So I am confident that once BB10 launches, we will see a BB10 Netflix app for smartphones and eventually we will have one for the Playbook. That, even if RIM doesn't sell that many units in its first year. In the past, Netflix has developed apps for products that it thought would drive subscriber growth even if they hadn't sold that many units (ex: PS Vita which has sold only 1.8 million units to date). Given the fact that Netflix is currently operating in markets where Blackberry is actually popular (Canada, UK, Latin America), a Netflix app is imminent!

    -Cyrus
    Thanked by:
    BB12MX (11-27-2012) 
    thedark722 likes this.
  2. Aguilucho's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    272 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    You really made a point. I'm confident that Nextflex will have an app for BBX when it is released. I don't really care since i'm not a big fan of movies streaming services but a least it would make some people happy.
    Thanked by 2:
    koolrosh (08-07-2012),  steppinghorse (08-08-2012) 
  3. glamrlama's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    909 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I'm not buying your argument or logic. If my tablet had a data plan they would make an app for it? Most tablets are wifi only. Why does netflix care where I watch their service? I either subscribe or I don't. Without an app for PB I don't subscribe.
    Thanked by:
    iThamerBB (11-24-2012) 
    pcguy514 and G-bone like this.
  4. madman0141's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,867 Posts
    PIN
    666
    #4  

    Default

    I wish it and skyhipe were on Playbook because I get tired of going through the same discussion about why we don't have it. RIM should put a sticker on each new PlayBook box saying these two apps are not available on the device. Then the person can return it and buy an ipad or something else.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
  5. Cozz4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    837 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Netflix is full of sh!t. Rim already stated that if Netflix wanted a blackberry app, RIM would send developers to Netflix headquarters within days. This would mean a very, very little cost to Netflix to make a BB10 app.



    Decisions from Netflix haven't been the best ones lately
    Thanked by 2:
    iThamerBB (11-24-2012),  pcguy514 (08-07-2012) 
    BB12MX likes this.
  6. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,148 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    OP's theory makes sense. To me at least.
  7. Stewartj1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,011 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,020 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Agree, I've seen @alecsaunders tweet that very offer to Netflix and have no doubt that same offer was made to Netflix through official channels.

    I think Netflix has other reasons for not wantong a bb app but can not fathom what those reasons might be.

    Oh well, I have Netflix at home and while we like it its certainly not the be all and end all. I'm fine without it.
  8. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,148 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    If a Netflix app is made, who maintains it? RIM or Netflix?

    App ransom, anyone? Pay to play.
    OniBerry likes this.
  9. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    If a Netflix app is made, who maintains it? RIM or Netflix?

    App ransom, anyone? Pay to play.
    That probably has a lot to do with it being delayed or the reason we can't use it.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  10. kfh227's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,348 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,358 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Can someone say why netflix isn't changing over to HTML 5 so they can just develop one god damned app?
  11. trueredsoxfan_58's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    PIN
    Never
    #11  

    Default

    why doesnt RIM port sliverlight to BB10. That would solve both netflix and future (clouded) skype (now that its owned by MS). \


    Unless M$ doesnt want silverlight on BB10?
    Blackberry Bold 9900 T-Mobile USA
  12. ekafara's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    950 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trueredsoxfan_58 View Post
    why doesnt RIM port sliverlight to BB10. That would solve both netflix and future (clouded) skype (now that its owned by MS). \


    Unless M$ doesnt want silverlight on BB10?
    I heard Microsoft was phasing silverlight out. Maybe they will just go with what seems will be the winner, html5.
  13. louzer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    19,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,301 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I think that Netflix is not on the Playbook so that we have something to talk about here while we wait for BB10
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

    Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    Barljo likes this.
  14. addicted44's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    332 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    The OP's logic seems off to me:
    1) The quoted section has the CEO outright stating they are bullish about tablets. That does not jive with the OP's conclusion that Netflix does not like tablets.
    2) Cellphone data caps are BAD for Netflix. The data caps means an additional cost to watch a movie (a 700 mb movie, uses up 33% of your 2GB data plan, costing about $5-$10 depending on your plan cost). This makes Netdlix less valuable in consumer eyes.
    In fact, the correct interpretation of the CEO's remarks are that because tablets are on wifi, and not data capped cell plans, they are bullish on it.

    There is a simple reason why Netflix isn't on the PB. North American sales of the PB are too low. Anyone who thinks there is some vast conspiracy behind it, is most likely wrong.
    Thanked by 2:
    westcoastit (08-08-2012) 
    TheScionicMan likes this.
  15. jeroen_13's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,760 Posts
    PIN
    Just PM
    #15  

    Default

    You can download the app: 'Flix' in the appworld to watch Netflix. It does require a PC with the 'Flix' program installed. It work pretty good
  16. SnoozerBold's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,189 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I'd love to see Netflix on the playbook and bb10. i think the problem is the numbers Netflix doesn't see enough pb users to justify developing it. Hopefully whhen Bb10 arrived and they can basically write 1 app for both they'll do it. until then i just dont see it$
    Id use netflix on my pb. not very often so its no deal breaker for me. i prefer tv on my tv and i dont travel enough to care if its on my pb.
    heres to hoping it shows up sometime though! then people can complain about other apps not being available....like skype

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry Z30 Running 10.3.1.1151
    Twitter: @ShawnRussell
  17. Cozz4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    837 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    If OP's statement made any sense then explain Netflix on Sony's PS Vita right from the beginning of lunching the unit? Netflix could have easily have seen previous model sales to come up with a conclusion that the Vita wasn't going to be a hit yet they still made the app.

    This is why I say Netflix is filled with crap and have an anti-RIM agenda up their a$$es.
  18. igotberryfever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,017 Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C13D
    #18  

    Default

    can't be good but will be ok!!!! HBO GO,MAX GO, EPIX, crackel you tube has regular videos and playon works for netflix so I have more then enuff

    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
  19. drjay868's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,113 Posts
    PIN
    Does anyone even know what this icon means?
    #19  

    Default

    1) NF on a smartphone or even tab using a cellular signal is bad for both the consumer and NF because the user is paying for a limited (in most cases) amount of data through their carrier. Typically, the more someone has to pay, the less they're going to use. That may be NF's plan to keep bandwidth down, but its counter productive to adding new subsribers.

    2) They should still develop for BBOS7 because if, lets say, 100,000 people buy a BBOS7 in the next 5, or so, months before BB10 is released, they're missing out on potentially $4,000,000. Granted, not every person who buys one will get NF, but the point is that they're losing a lot of money.

    3) They should still develop for BBOS7 because those same 100,000 people are going to be locked into that phone for 2-3 years. Now you're talking $19,200,000 - $28,800,000. Again, I know not every person will buy one, but if say half do, its still a lot of money.
    PlayBook running 2.1.0.1032 - 9850 running 7.1.0.580! FOR NOW...

    PLEASE HELP ME HELP KIDS WITH CANCER!!!
  20. joshua_sx1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,785 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,788 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Netflix is still not on PlayBook because they are not aware that PlayBook exist... of course, I didn't mean it literally... it is simply, not profitable both to Netflix and RIM... we don't know why? but one thing for sure, if it is profitable to either one of them, they will surely make it available to PlayBook... after all, both Netflix and RIM are still business... and anything profitable for them is possible...


    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    steppinghorse (08-08-2012) 
  21. apengue1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    850 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
    The OP's logic seems off to me:
    1) The quoted section has the CEO outright stating they are bullish about tablets. That does not jive with the OP's conclusion that Netflix does not like tablets.
    2) Cellphone data caps are BAD for Netflix. The data caps means an additional cost to watch a movie (a 700 mb movie, uses up 33% of your 2GB data plan, costing about $5-$10 depending on your plan cost). This makes Netdlix less valuable in consumer eyes.
    In fact, the correct interpretation of the CEO's remarks are that because tablets are on wifi, and not data capped cell plans, they are bullish on it.

    There is a simple reason why Netflix isn't on the PB. North American sales of the PB are too low. Anyone who thinks there is some vast conspiracy behind it, is most likely wrong.
    finalllyyyy !

    That's the vibe I got from the CEO as well.
  22. PeterRei's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    I couldn't care less.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
  23. koolrosh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
    The OP's logic seems off to me:
    1) The quoted section has the CEO outright stating they are bullish about tablets. That does not jive with the OP's conclusion that Netflix does not like tablets.
    2) Cellphone data caps are BAD for Netflix. The data caps means an additional cost to watch a movie (a 700 mb movie, uses up 33% of your 2GB data plan, costing about $5-$10 depending on your plan cost). This makes Netdlix less valuable in consumer eyes.
    In fact, the correct interpretation of the CEO's remarks are that because tablets are on wifi, and not data capped cell plans, they are bullish on it.

    There is a simple reason why Netflix isn't on the PB. North American sales of the PB are too low. Anyone who thinks there is some vast conspiracy behind it, is most likely wrong.
    The simple point that I'm making is that Netflix doesn't see tablets as a way of directly getting new subscribers. I never said that they didn't like tablets; of course they are bullish on tablets, everybody is, and they plan on being on almost all devices in the long run, which is what they have said it in the past.

    Netflix, like any company, is just prioritizing those opportunities that directly lead to new signups for the company (ie: MORE CASH)

    Here is another quote from Reed Hastings that should clarify more. This answer from him is after an analyst asked if the explosion of tablet use has affected the subscriber acquisition channel:

    in terms of subscriber acquisition, mobile is a good source for us. Video is disproportionately watched on television. So things that are TV-based sign-up, like on the game consoles, like Apple TV are really the brand center and the biggest drivers of potential opportunities [...] That's consistent with what we've said in prior quarters, and that [tablets] is not a big acquisition driver. It's a big value driver for our subscribers.
    Summary for people who do not understand: tablet use does not bring more $$$, but makes subscribers happier.
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (11-24-2012) 
  24. jasonhygiene's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #24  

    Default Canadian

    It's straight forward US company's like Google and Apple are being racist towards Canadian BB. It's shocking, as a UK user who has bb bold and playbook and all my kids have the same. To watch company's like this dictate. Ipad is not a match of playbook and the fact u can bridge with your phone and connect any where without the need for another contract. Why wouldn't everyone buy playbook. If playbook use android why you buy any other tablet and for Netflix I have tried but want be buying. Another US racist. Company
  25. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default Why Netflix is not on Playbook?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhygiene View Post
    It's straight forward US company's like Google and Apple are being racist towards Canadian BB. It's shocking, as a UK user who has bb bold and playbook and all my kids have the same. To watch company's like this dictate. Ipad is not a match of playbook and the fact u can bridge with your phone and connect any where without the need for another contract. Why wouldn't everyone buy playbook. If playbook use android why you buy any other tablet and for Netflix I have tried but want be buying. Another US racist. Company
    How old are you? 7? What's a racist about not supporting a tablet that's not popular in the consumer market? Bridge is awesome however third party support isn't hence why people aren't buying the playbook.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions