Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,450 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by joe.miller View Post
    Alright then, here, I'll repeat and expand on something that I've said in any one of a half dozen different threads on this same subject:

Here's what you want your CEO and his executive team to be doing:

• Negotiating carrier agreements
    • Negotiating strategic partnerships
    • Investigating and negotiating licensing deals
    • Identifying product roadmaps for 6/12/18 month timeframes

Here's what you don't want your CEO and executive team to be doing:

• Issuing press releases, doing interviews and giving soundbites everytime a two-bit hack with a CrackerJack box MBA pulls numbers out of their nether regions.

It's the CEO's job to create shareholder value OVER THE LONG TERM. You do that by building a successful company, and the stock price will follow. If your CEO gives half a thought about the day-to-day or week-to-week fluctuations of the stock price, they should be fired.
    I agree with you 100% - I wasn't inferring that the CEO do something but rather the company keep the positive media presence going...one thing I love about Apple - they announce a new product and then announce the timeline when it will be available (talking about the US). Now I know they control the supply chain - just wish BBRY would have done something similar to get that kind of info to it's US customers in waiting and that would have been it.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio Sanchez1 View Post
    The company is being pummeled by the many shorts and bashers and pessimists who want nothing more than to see BB go away so they can collect their money from shorting the stock. So I ask, as a shareholder who bought stock and who wants the company to succeed, why is nothing being done to combat this.
    You should check out other sources:

Crunching The Numbers: BlackBerry Severely Undervalued - Seeking Alpha
    PlayBook 64 + Ubuntu 12.04
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kcdist View Post
    @ joe.miller

This is not just about the stock price. It's about public sentiment and purchasing decisions. If I was thinking about purchasing the Z10, but then read a few articles on Yahoo about how Blackberry was likely going out of business.....I might opt for a Lumina instead. It's a PR war. The bearish side wants to negatively affect stock price, but in so doing, they end up hurting Blackberry's reputation as a stable, long term company. This affects sales......
    Few people actually do this in the consumer market. They decide to buy a phone based on the cool thing that their friends have, or the ad they see on TV or in a magazine, or most importantly, what the carrier retail rep is trying to sell them. That's why the carrier relationships are so important.

The only significant part of the market that the viability of BlackBerry affects is the enterprise, and they look a lot deeper than random Seeking Alpha articles or tech blog reviews that everybody is getting their panties in a twist over.

Just by being here on this site, you are not the average consumer. Most smartphone buyers have never heard of Engadget, or CNET, or BGR. They walk up to BestBuy or a carrier store and ask "what's the best phone?".
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

Its the CEO's job to do everything. The stock is just as important as signing agreements as its all perception. If an analyst or a journalist such as the moron at Forbes yesterday says the launch is a disaster and no one is buying the product then its up to him to quell the negativity for the sake of hurting sales. If I think the company might not be around in a years time then i will buy a windows phone etc. When a CEO says nothing it gives the impression that the negativity is accurate. So tell this guy to wake up and pound the pavement and start doing more especially if its not accurate. The product is said to do well in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, then get off your *** and tell the world about it. Who do you think was in New York 3 weeks ago. Its analysts and jourmalists and those are the people who can make or break a product. He needs to be more American and not be bashed around as that is what the shorts like about him. They like companies who do and say nothing and dont defend themselves
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,306 Global Posts

Because this is a public company there is only so much he can do. The have been using the new speak: "exceeding expectation" and "best early sales ever" but it's obviously not something they want to be specific about because the real numbers look small compared to the wider launches of phones they would be compared to. They can couch it with previous BB sales in the first days but really, what does that contrast? The market is much bigger now and there are precedents that BBRY don't want to be compared to and it would not move forward the conversation.

They will have to answer in the conference call soon enough. It can wait till then.
    Thanked by:
    Chris Marsch (02-21-2013) 
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kazmi View Post
    I do think releasing preliminary numbers or some sort of numbers to show how well BBRY sold internationally will help
    I wasn't inferring that the CEO do something
    Ummmm....

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Its the CEO's job to do everything. The stock is just as important as signing agreements as its all perception. If an analyst or a journalist such as the moron at Forbes yesterday says the launch is a disaster and no one is buying the product then its up to him to quell the negativity for the sake of hurting sales. If I think the company might not be around in a years time then i will buy a windows phone etc. When a CEO says nothing it gives the impression that the negativity is accurate. So tell this guy to wake up and pound the pavement and start doing more especially if its not accurate. The product is said to do well in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, then get off your *** and tell the world about it. Who do you think was in New York 3 weeks ago. Its analysts and jourmalists and those are the people who can make or break a product. He needs to be more American and not be bashed around as that is what the shorts like about him. They like companies who do and say nothing and dont defend themselves
    As a shareholder you are entitled to present your point of view to the company. I urge you to do so.

Personally, I have been EXTREMELY impressed with the job Heins has done as CEO. I believe he's managing expectations extremely well, and executing brilliantly. Again, analysts are entitled to their interpretations, and I think that if Heins started responding the way you're hoping that he'll come off as defensive. In many instances, even acknowledging these trolls only helps legitimize them.

You seem to be missing the big picture; this is a company that many wrote off a year ago. There were an awful lot of industry insiders who had already concluded that the company wouldn't even last long enough to introduce their new platform. You don't have to like Heins, or his style, but if you're an investor I think you need to trust that they know what they're doing. If you don't, then by all means go out and short them yourself. I dare you.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (02-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

If an analyst or a journalist such as the moron at Forbes yesterday says the launch is a disaster and no one is buying the product then its up to him to quell the negativity for the sake of hurting sales.
    You're working under the assumption that it has a significant effect on sales. The few hard-core tech types and fans that frequent this and other sites might care. The well-informed business or enterprise customers will either see through the bullcrap or do their own due diligence. The average consumer will never hear about it. It's not worth responding to.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    As a shareholder you are entitled to present your point of view to the company. I urge you to do so.
    This! If you don't feel that BlackBerry's executive are representing your best interests as a shareholder, call investor relations.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,450 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me!

Ummmm....
    So only CEOs can release that kind of info? There are other ways to get the info out to the correct channels you know....
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    17,664 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Why is it that every few days we've got a new contender for the Joan Crawford Drama Queen Life Achievement Award?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" ~Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Abuser

So only CEOs can release that kind of info? There are other ways to get the info out to the correct channels you know....
    He would certainly have to authorize it. And other members of the executive would have to be involved. They have more important things they need to be focusing on than feeding trolls.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,450 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me!

He would certainly have to authorize it. And other members of the executive would have to be involved. They have more important things they need to be focusing on than feeding trolls.
    Look, I don't know what your background is with regards to management styles. All I'm saying is that they have always been silent when it comes to answering the market. Back in the good ol' days, it was fine - they pumped out handsets which got the job done and that was it. The times have changed and with social media and everyone being connected, info (be it wrong or right) makes the rounds pretty fast. So let's just agree to disagree - you agree with his methodology and management style; I don't. I would have liked to see this change in BBRY and a more hands on leadership- they are a smaller organization and hence can be very nimble. They can respond to put out quick fires and the CEO doesn't have to be the only guy doing it. He can delegate.

And I'm all for not feeding trolls. But when those same trolls start affecting the company's stock price, it's important to take notice. You want to act now when the stock is where it is rather than when it's below $10.
    sharma6 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

I saw something really interesting lately. The media just appears to hate Blackberry and I don't know why. What I noticed is not the actual reviews, but the reactions of the reviewers themselves towards Ubuntu Phone OS. Seriously go watch them, and how they smile a lot, and say things like "well this is really interesting! I'm really looking forwards to how this progresses!" and they gush on and on. I personally don't get it. Mark Shuttleworth always looks like he just woke up from a booze binge, Canonical and Ubuntu themselves always come off as kind of like the local variety store next to a bunch of Walmarts and the OS itself looks pretty amateur.

But they go really hard on BB, while the reviewers are all smiling and "ooo...ahhhh" about Ubuntu. If there were two babies in the room named Blackberry and Ubuntu and both started crying, the reviewers would quietly soothe the Ubuntu one and yell "SHUT UP DAMN YOU!!" across the room to baby Blackberry.
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Seeking Alpha - Major UK Outlets Hike BlackBerry Z10 Price Above iPhone5, Black Market Thriving

OP. Sell your shares.

No one cares about a single investor whinging on a forum.

You are looking pretty unintelligent talking so badly about a company you apparently invested in. Id actually recommend not investing at all in the stock market based on your logic.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

And I'm all for not feeding trolls. But when those same trolls start affecting the company's stock price, it's important to take notice. You want to act now when the stock is where it is rather than when it's below $10.
    Again, you are think way too short term. The BlackBerry executive and board are thinking 12-36 months out. If $BBRY is $10 or $15 tomorrow, it is totally immaterial, and not worth straying from the plan that they are executing.
    DatMisterB likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #42  

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Why is it that every few days we've got a new contender for the Joan Crawford Drama Queen Life Achievement Award?
    LOL! Some people that post on these message boards really are clueless. Of course it matters. All you have to do as an example is punch up up BlackBerry launch on Google. The first thing you see is the new product being launch concurrently with stories saying that the stock tank and investors didn't like it. So if you were wanting to look for a phone and are interested in BlackBerry and all you see are negative stories talking about how the company will not be around in one years time what do you think you or anyone else will do. Coolest phone will you purchase. People have to wake up and understand that being ignorant can kill the company along with thousands of jobs. Only a fool will see that it's long term. The company in case the fools do not understand is bleeding money every quarter meaning they are losing more money than they are making. Only an ignorant fool will not understand that now is the time to do everything properly not next year not next month but now.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I am sure Thorstein Heinz is grateful that you are all concerned about the success of BlackBerry. He has a group of intelligent advisors available day and night to keep him on the straight and narrow and I think they are handling the situation exactly the way they want to. They are not adopting the defensive tactics that some may advise because they feel it would be a mistake, consequently our advice is neither requested or required. We have the right to our opinion of course but the CEO has the right to ignore it. Lets see what Blackberry is like in December and let the trolls find somethinig else to criticise
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,075 Global Posts

All you have to do as an example is punch up up BlackBerry launch on Google.
    And why would Google ever show a favorable review about a competitor? Not say Google would weight the negative reviews more heavily, but why wouldn't they? They arent required to do much....
    'The frontier between hell and heaven is only the difference between two ways of looking at things.' - George Bernard Shaw
    CrackBerry Genius

Be brave when others are fearful and fearful when others are brave. --Warren Buffett
    I don't think anything is wrong with BBRY. They're on course with their marketing strategy. They have money allocated for marketing. If they could fix the bugs and improve BB10 a bit quicker, I don't see why they can't be successful. All the shorters are working hard to discredit BBRY to make some quick bucks. They are playing with fire. Save your $$, following BBRY's actions. If you believe in BBRY and their strategies, then get ready to long.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts

Hi OP. I get why you are upset; investing in stocks is NOT for everyone. Shorts make MONEY by correctly predicting that the future value of a stock is less. Longs make MONEY by correctly predicting that the future value of a stock is more. I would be worried if Thor was spending his days rooting around on blog posts looking for shorts to call out. The over 100 million shares that are short on BBRY are why you see so many negative postings. My prediction is that this number of shorts is going to decrease drastically over the next 12 months. My significant other is a broker so I have as much (if not more!) credibility than Savitz or BGR or many at Forbes these days. Some of the tech reporting is obviously very poor but the quality of reporting from Forbes especially is so unbalanced as to really tarnish their already weakened brand. Do your due diligence on any purchase. You will quickly have more knowledge than 99% of what you read coming from online analysts.
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts

Default Why Is BB and Thorsten Heins allowing the bashers and negativity to happen without fighting

Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    I saw something really interesting lately. The media just appears to hate Blackberry and I don't know why. What I noticed is not the actual reviews, but the reactions of the reviewers themselves towards Ubuntu Phone OS. Seriously go watch them, and how they smile a lot, and say things like "well this is really interesting! I'm really looking forwards to how this progresses!" and they gush on and on. I personally don't get it. Mark Shuttleworth always looks like he just woke up from a booze binge, Canonical and Ubuntu themselves always come off as kind of like the local variety store next to a bunch of Walmarts and the OS itself looks pretty amateur.

But they go really hard on BB, while the reviewers are all smiling and "ooo...ahhhh" about Ubuntu. If there were two babies in the room named Blackberry and Ubuntu and both started crying, the reviewers would quietly soothe the Ubuntu one and yell "SHUT UP DAMN YOU!!" across the room to baby Blackberry.
    You know I wondered about that myself. whenever I pull out my 9810 to check on something, one of my coworkers approach and say: "I HATE BlackBerries!"
    And when you ask them why, it goes: ""Because they SUCK!"

Why? Why HATE something that isn't for you? Did a BB try to murder you or something? HATE? What is your definition of HATE? Why do you waste your breath and express your HATE out loud for something that isn't for you?

I think there is too many people out there that didn't get raised with being taught any manners or courtesy.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,107 Global Posts

I hate to say this, but if they sold alot morethan that 300,000 phone number, they need to state it flat out at earnings.

They can be vague if they want. Excess of XXX phones.

If they sold 1.5 million, they should say 1+ millioon of sell through or whatever the appropriate term is. Doing so will create positive news for the comapny, not just the stock. If they say this, it will be all over the news as free positive advertising. I hope they realize this.

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    I hate to say this, but if they sold alot morethan that 300,000 phone number, they need to state it flat out at earnings.

If they sold 1.5 million, they should say 1+ millioon of sell through or whatever the appropriate term is. Doing so will create positive news for the comapny, not just the stock. If they say this, it will be all over the news as free positive advertising. I hope they realize this.
    They have an OBLIGATION TO SHAREHOLDERS to report sales at the earnings report. That absolutely WILL happen, it's a matter of course.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    joe.miller and northernrds like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post

Even if they sell less than 300k phones (which I doubt) then they will release the numbers.

The the OP: Blackberry has zero obligation to comment on press, negative or positive. They do not have to provide numbers until their quarter. If you believe in this company (like I do) just put your money in and wait it out. If we are right, we will be rewarded in the long run. If we're wrong, then we will lose but then again don't trade stocks if you're not comfortable with losing.

I said this in another topic very similar to this one. It's like Steve Jobs once said, 'The stock will take care of itself.'. If Blackberry makes a product that is selling well then there is nothing the shorts can do in the long run. The numbers will inevitably come out and the stock will correct itself, whether if it's up, down or just not moving at all. It's the way the market works.
    Thanked by:
    Thunderbuck (02-21-2013) 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast