• 2 Post By Kennedy.L
  • 1 Post By SuperionMaximus
  • 1 Post By jmurph66
  • 2 Post By ridemaster
  • 4 Post By jrohland
  • 1 Post By Lendo
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Where RIM goes after BB10 (OBJ article Nov 7 2012)

zyben and cjcampbell like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Where RIM goes after BB10 (OBJ article Nov 7 2012)

One thing at a time.

BB11 =)
    Pearl 8130 -> Storm 9500 -> Tour -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9800 -> Curve 3G -> Bold 9900 PlayBook (2.1.0.1032) -> Z10 and Q10. I need help.
    Thanked by 2:
    iBuilder (11-10-2012),  richardat (11-09-2012) 
    drjay868 and iBuilder like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,524 Global Posts

Without reading the article, my guess is: BB11
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

One step at a time, but it looks like they've coined a term for their verticals and embedded systems and it's M2M, it's a long road and no one wants to give them the time of day to lay the foundation, here's hoping.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts

I say let them carry on "under the radar" as BaconMunch said. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, they will come out with ground breaking innovation, after innovation, after innovation. I love what they are doing by diversifying and proving, hopefully, that they are not some one trick pony but a whole stable with many tricks up their sleeve. We are a long ways off for these things so hopefully BB10 launches well, and is accepted by many so that the funding, and infrastructure will be there to push them forward.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

Great article.

The possibility for expansion is the reason i have hope for Rim, not because of their prospects in the smartphone industry. That's not to say i dont think hty'll be a major player in smartphones, but their real money will come from industry.
    CrackBerry Addict

Already read it. It's all about mobile computing, as Thornsten ever said before.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Abuser

None of this information is really new. Mike L was talking about all this stuff when he bought QNX and announced the Playbook. The thing is, RIM is way behind Microsoft and even Apple in this area. Microsoft is making a play to make Windows Power everything in your home and car. Apple is working with 9 of the worlds top 10 automakers to get Siri into cars. Google as well. They are working on home automation, and they already power TVs and media players and have a game system coming soon.

RIM has great tech, but it's not like everyone else hasn't already had the same idea and in Microsoft's case already has an Xbox in your living room and a couple PCs in home.

That's why I think RIM needs some one like Sony as a partner to make their vision happen. Sony is already big in gaming, home electronic and automotive infotainment. Many parallels. If any company licenses BB 10 and partners with RIM Sony makes the most sense based on what RIM hopes to accomplish with the platform
    Thanked by:
    toneytone (11-09-2012) 
    toneytone likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    PIN
    2890D720

Quote Originally Posted by SuperionMaximus View Post
    None of this information is really new. Mike L was talking about all this stuff when he bought QNX and announced the Playbook. The thing is, RIM is way behind Microsoft and even Apple in this area. Microsoft is making a play to make Windows Power everything in your home and car. Apple is working with 9 of the worlds top 10 automakers to get Siri into cars. Google as well. They are working on home automation, and they already power TVs and media players and have a game system coming soon.

RIM has great tech, but it's not like everyone else hasn't already had the same idea and in Microsoft's case already has an Xbox in your living room and a couple PCs in home.

That's why I think RIM needs some one like Sony as a partner to make their vision happen. Sony is already big in gaming, home electronic and automotive infotainment. Many parallels. If any company licenses BB 10 and partners with RIM Sony makes the most sense based on what RIM hopes to accomplish with the platform
    I totally agree. I think RIM wants to keep things in house on the mobile front but expanding OS10 or a version of it will need a partner. I see Sony as the best well rounded opportunity.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by SuperionMaximus View Post

Great so we can have people driving around in their cars with Siri and apple maps telling them where to go...
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2ACB19A0

just a side note
    -rimm and qnx is in more automobiles than apple, google combined.

-the busiest airport in the world is run by qnx.

the list goes on and on.
    presently rocking a trio of Zeddy,Q10,PB.
    BlackBerry by Choice
    CrackBerry Newbie

I agree with you.
    In fact a good partner is always very important for new player.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Default Life's Hub(c)

First things first. M2M is a terrible abbreviation. Go on Craig's List and check M2M. You will see what I mean.

Now let's imagine a scenario not to many years away;
    She's at work thinking about her family dinner. Her husband is going on a business trip and as almost no one wants to fly anymore, he is driving. Her stress level is up.

Her cabinets and refrigerators know their inventory because they have NFC and can read all the UPCs off the products. Her phone has that inventory of course because her house and phone talk to each other. Her phone knows where her family members are and has their expected schedules. She knows who to expect at dinner. With all that information, she asks The 10 for recipe ideas. It gives her some, based on current food stock. It also offers recipe options based on the markets she will pass on the way home.

She picks a meal plan that requires some fresh ingredients she needs to pick up. The 10 checks the available consumer reviews for current quality and price of those ingredients in the markets she will pass close to. It routes her drive home to stop at the needed shops.

One ingredient she needs is better gotten at a store not on her way. The 10 checks the expected route her children will take and finds her daughter will go near that store. Her 10 sends a note to the daughter's 10 to inform her of the request to pick up the product.

The daughter's 10 checks the area around the store to see if any of her friends will be near there. It finds her boyfriend will be, so it asks her if she would like to invite him for a Cappuccino. He accepts. The daughter's 10 sends a note back to mom saying she will be a little late as she is meeting a friend for coffee. Mom sends a note back saying to invite the "friend" to dinner. He accepts. Mom's 10 recalculates the recipe for an additional guest, rechecks inventory and makes adjustments.

Mom is 30 minutes from home. Her 10 tells the home heating system to warm the house up. However, it knows she will go in the kitchen and will have on her coat so it tells the heat to keep the kitchen a little cooler for the next 45 minutes.

Mom is pulling in the driveway. Her 10 asks to see her face and hear her speak the words on the screen. If it is satisfied, it will open the garage and unlock the house. Her 10 detects stress in her voice and asks her to select a picture from the grid based on something only she is likely to know. While doing that, she is distracted by a speeding car and picks the wrong picture. Her 10 silently contacts her security company and authorizes it to access all nearby cameras. Daniel at Paragon Security checks all the cameras and doesn't see any problems so he connects to the car's screen and asks her for the security code. After a short conversation, he tells The 10 security is normal. The 10 opens the garage and the house.

The husband's 10 noticed the business trip on his calendar. Since he was using trip planner for a driving route it assumes he will drive. His 10 asks his car for service schedule and finds he needs to have the car serviced. It accesses his and the dealer's schedule and finds an opening. It asks him to authorize the service and schedules it.

I have a 1000 more ideas but if you read this whole thing, thanks. I'll stop here.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.

RIM can't even bring BB10 to market and we're talking about what's next? Unbelievable!!!!
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    cgk likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by toneytone View Post
    I totally agree. I think RIM wants to keep things in house on the mobile front but expanding OS10 or a version of it will need a partner. I see Sony as the best well rounded opportunity.
    I agree that RIM should team up with a Japanese company, seeing how advance their technologies are. It will help to bolster in this new M2M RIM plans for in the future. Sony is losing heavily to Samsung at the moment but I think that will make it a good target company to partner with as they may be more open to partnership to help stabilize their own market share. As for cars, Toyota would be the target given it now holds the number 1 spot in car production.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ridemaster View Post
    just a side note
    -rimm and qnx is in more automobiles than apple, google combined.

-the busiest airport in the world is run by qnx.

the list goes on and on.
    Who cares! Not a single one of those cars with QNX software on board will add a single thing to BB 10.

While RIM plans to be a leader in machine to machine communications and that is likely what will replace the carrier fees they currently collect, they still need a consumer facing offering to sell hardware. They still need a GE or Whirlpool to put Their software into their appliances. They still need some one to put it in cameras and TVs and things consumers use. If BB 10 doesn't have the biggest apps and the largest stores for music and movies and books, then they need to make peoples lives easier and they can't do it alone. They need other companies to buy in and use BB 10.
  17. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

Default Re: Life's Hub(c)

Quote Originally Posted by jrohland View Post
    First things first. M2M is a terrible abbreviation.
    I prefer "the internet of things" which is used within the academic circles in which I mix.

Quote Originally Posted by toneytone View Post
    Sony?? Maybe you are thinking of the Sony of the past but the Sony of today is a basketcase, there is a reason its credit rating is now just above junk.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

30 Ways QNX Touches Your Life

Its is a viable business model to get into the feild and monetize later. Looks like QNX is ready to monetize.
    Little known fact. QNX came to RIM not vise versa. The 2 are a match made in heaven!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts

Yup, as others have pointed out, Microsoft, Google and Apple are way ahead in this area...

And QNX adds nothing, absolutely nothing to the equation. You don't need to have the same kernel or OS running for your car or fridge to talk to your phone, lol! We have an awesome thing called protocols, so that problem was solved long ago, and RIM doesn't have an advantage here.

(Quite the opposite in fact. There are many good reasons why it's a better solution to have two different OS on your computer and in your car, and have them communicate though a common protocol, rather than have the same OS powering two very different kinds of devices)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

(Quite the opposite in fact. There are many good reasons why it's a better solution to have two different OS on your computer and in your car, and have them communicate though a common protocol, rather than have the same OS powering two very different kinds of devices)

QNX seems to work fine with other OS, perhaps you need to talk to apple.
    CrackBerry Addict

RIM will be bought out by those big companies sooner or later, its just a matter of time. Look who are in this market: apple, Google, and Microsoft. No other companies can touch them. Samsung is just a hardware manufacturer.