Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What is the Z10 screen size going to be?

Any solid rumors on first BB10 screen size? Dev Alpha is 4.2". Iphone 5 looks like its going to be 4". I've played with the HTC OneX and its 4.7" which sounds huge but its so thin its very pocketable as long as its naked. The S3 is going to be 4.8". I think I would like at least 4.5" if its thin enough.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There becomes a tipping point where the one handed efficiency is lost when your screen size gets larger and larger... Anything between 4-4.5" I would be happy with.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

I would like my torch to only be a little wider. The width of the bold would be good. Any larger than 4" would be getting too big for me.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry

I love the screen on my Skyrocket but I must admit that the iPhone is easier to handle, since my hands are smnall. For me, 4 to 4.2 would be damned near perfect.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

I actually feel like my devAlpha with the 4.2" screen is a hair too large, if it was 4" and had tapered edges like the 9900 vs the PlayBook body I think it would be the perfect size,

I'm very much on the fence about buying a SG3 when they launch on Rogers, I walked into the store with only 1 phone and felt naked if it was released I would have purchased it, depending on the new phone I get on Monday from my new company I may be more inclined to try the SG3, but I do feel it is just sooo large

I actually use a 9790 as my daily driver over the 9900's I have sitting in boxes or on my desk, because of size.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A006EA

4.2" would be just perfect. Any bigger than that will just be troublesome for single handed use...
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    PIN
    No BBM

For me, the absolute max size screen I'd want is 4.3. I like the big SG3 and One X but they really are just too big to use comfortably. And I like to keep my phone in a case, in my jean pocket, and the massive Droid's just make it all too much!

I hope RIM doesn't get into a size war and keeps things sensible. I think Apple will win sales from Android if they don't go mad now and release a mega size iPhone.

As next year, what size will the new Nexus be! 3.7 to 4 to 4.6!

I think the design principal of one handed use is a really good idea. Something RIM should remember.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otacon View Post
    4.2" would be just perfect. Any bigger than that will just be troublesome for single handed use...
    You're still talking about screen size, right?
    morganplus8 and G-bone like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

4.8" is huge, so is 4.5"
    Who wants a phone that cant fit in a pocket.
    Samsung is being foolish. If somebody wants a big screen, he can simply carry a tablet.
    4" display would be ideal..
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by LeenaNag View Post
    4.8" is huge, so is 4.5"
    Who wants a phone that cant fit in a pocket.
    Samsung is being foolish. If somebody wants a big screen, he can simply carry a tablet.
    4" display would be ideal..
    I'd hardly say Samsung is "being foolish"..their sales volumes speak otherwise. I could understand for women not wanting to carry around something like a Galaxy Note..but my 4.6" GNex EASILY fits in meh pocket..with lots of room to spare. If you're a dude and not wearing skinny jeans around your knees..then a 4.5"+ phone should be plenty easy to handle.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

I would say 4.2" is big enough. Last night at a party I had to carry my girls
    S2 all night. I must say I wish she still had her iPhone
    Watch Hulu and Netflix on the Playbook
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-690973/
    CrackBerry Addict

There is a sweet spot of growing the screen size by maximising device real estate without unduly increasing overall size. That albeit depends on aspect ratio.
    The SGIII (at 4.8") is at the limit for that device size. When you look at it is unattractively all screen.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

It'd be nice if the adjustable device ever comes to reality like in the TAT teaser, I think. Then it would be whatever size you want at any given time. Sure would eliminate the need for not want a huge phone and eliminate the want to also having a larger screen and carrying 2 devices.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Master

The BB 10 phone is the perfect size now, they should not make it the same size as Apple though. A 4.2" screen stretches the size to the max with those who like 4.0" conceding to that size while those who like 4.5" would be willing to drop back a size to get the features.

Above all else, make it sexy and cool, not boring. The average consumer is more interested in how they look than what the phone is all about. MAKE IT COOL!!!

One-handed 4.2" and the coolest damn phone on the planet!!! Thank you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,716 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

The main reason screen sizes are getting bigger is because of added hardware requirements. When the manufacturers wish to add new hardware, or beef it up with more competitive hardware, the size of the device has to accommodate. The designers have to either make the phone thicker, or taller and wider. As many a device review has often demonstrated, thicker phones seem to be really frowned upon. So it makes sense that the displays take advantage of the space allowing for it, as otherwise you'd have devices with 1-2 inch bezels and a display that looks too small on a bigger device.

That being said; The main reason I like my 4.65" display is because it has software buttons utilizing a portion of the display instead of hardware buttons. Effectively making it a 4.3" display unless I'm watching video or using the camera. So while the display got bigger, the overall size of the device did not.

I thought I saw a rumor of a screen size of 4.3" somewhere for the first all-touch BB10. But can I find a link to it now? Of course not.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    PIN
    To many of them

I think 3.8 to 4 is hitting the sweet spot in terms of screen size. I've had a Galaxy S 2 and the screen was just a tad to big. Using an iPhone 4S and my 9900 now but 3.5 is a bit to small although a pleasure for one handed use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    PIN
    28714B72

To release a 4.0" phone is the best , it's good for one handed use , and it's good for watching media . While a 4.3" or a 4.7" ie excellent for watching media and bad for one handed use .

Sent from my A$$ Kickin Berry using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm visually challenged but I like one-handed use, so 4.2-4.5 inches would be just great. Also, why not release one of each? Sayin'...
    BlackBerry -
    We invented the Smartphone Business...
    We're takin' it back!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

I carry the 9930 and I think I feel like could handle quite a bit more size. I wonder about bezel size too if the OS is going to gesture based. It seems like they will have to balance screen size, bezel size and device size to make everything feel right when using the OS. The gestures have to work impeccably. If customers go into a store and they struggle with OS, it will be very bad news.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Derp View Post
    You're still talking about screen size, right?

LMAO
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would say 4.3 to 4.5 would be cool
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,603 Global Posts

Whenever I would be at Best Buy, I would look at the Iphone 4 and 4s..those devices are to small. I think I'm spoiled with bigger and thicker phones .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

No. With one-handed usage being the priority, 4 inches is ideal. 4.2 should also be fine depending on the size of the bezel and how all the gestures work. Looking at what we've seen of BB10, it was designed for 'smaller' screens. Large phones just wouldn't work.
    CrackBerry Genius

I know that whatever phone I get next, the screen will be at least 4".
    Rello likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast