Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 808
Like Tree249Likes
  1. kemj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    290BC3C6 (9900) / 500CF65B (PB)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Exclamation WHAT THE HECK is happening to the Stock?! :O

    I'm almost dying here! In just one hour of active trading RIMM's stock is already more than 5% down now with an all-time low trading at $12.07!! What the are the investors seeing?! RIM unveiling a land phone or something?? Two cans with a connecting thread???
    An analog snake game?? This is effin insane and insulting!!!

    What's happening up there in Orlando?!?!
  2. Mallet21's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kemj View Post

    What's happening up there in Orlando?!?!
    Apparently not enough......
    Shlooky likes this.
  3. scorpiodsu's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,133 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts
    PIN
    LPG5ULJQ - Live profile (try it!)
    #3  

    Default

    Because they haven't done anything but said we'll have something great in a few months. And I'm guessing a different virtual keyboard and special "camera" wasn't enough to change people's minds just yet. No hardware, really did not show BB10 (as the current Alpha is likely to be a lot different than what is released) so what do you think they have done that should reverse the course of the stock?
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini
  4. Jethro-Ten's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I guess the recent conference thingy failed to impress.
    Looks grim, doesn't it.
    Even with all it's cash, and Nokia on it's side, and a great OS, Microsoft phones are doing very little comparatively, so it's unlikely RIM can do much more
    Jeff
    Magnesus likes this.
  5. princesultan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    terrible...
  6. samab's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Thorstein torpedo any hope of licensing BB10 to other handset makers --- that's why the stock drop like a rock.
    Thanked by 2:
    howarmat (05-03-2012),  kingbernie06511 (05-03-2012) 
    howarmat likes this.
  7. kemj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    290BC3C6 (9900) / 500CF65B (PB)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Because they haven't done anything but said we'll have something great in a few months. And I'm guessing a different virtual keyboard and special "camera" wasn't enough to change people's minds just yet. No hardware, really did not show BB10 (as the current Alpha is likely to be a lot different than what is released) so what do you think they have done that should reverse the course of the stock?
    It may be not enough to jump the stock a whole much but with APPL trading at $588, GOOG $613, do you really think RIMM should be trading at $12 ?? Either Apple or Google are overrated or RIMM is miserably underrated!

    In my QFolio app on my PlayBook I'm following:

    Apple (AAPL)
    Abbott (ABT)
    Dell (DELL)
    Google (GOOG)
    Intel (INTC)
    Microsoft (MSFT)
    Qualcomm (QCOM)
    Research in Motion (RIMM)

    Guess who's the only one in red?
    Thanked by:
    steve911 (05-03-2012) 
  8. scorpiodsu's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,133 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts
    PIN
    LPG5ULJQ - Live profile (try it!)
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kemj View Post
    It may be not enough to jump the stock a whole much but with APPL trading at $588, GOOG $613, do you really think RIMM should be trading at $12 ?? Either Apple or Google are overrated or RIMM is miserably underrated!

    In my QFolio app on my PlayBook I'm following:

    Apple (AAPL)
    Abbott (ABT)
    Dell (DELL)
    Google (GOOG)
    Intel (INTC)
    Microsoft (MSFT)
    Qualcomm (QCOM)
    Research in Motion (RIMM)

    Guess who's the only one in red?
    I'm not understanding why this seems to be news to you. RIMs stock has been suffering for a while now. And will continue until they do something to turn it around. Apple's stock goes up steadily and takes big increases at the announcement/release of a new iPad or iPhone. They were actually speculating it could one day each $1,000 per share. I doubt that would ever happen but the current stock prices are not surprising to me. Did you see Apple's last earning call and how much cash they have? They are the most valuable brand in the world. So yeah, the stock is probably where it should be.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini
    CDM76 likes this.
  9. sam_b77's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,734 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Well TBH, the market values a stock at the return the stock gives not future potential unless that potential can be measured.

    While RIM has shown great innovations, they are not likely to translate into revenue anytime soon and that's what the stock price is reflecting.
    As of now RIM is a value stock not an earning stock. Any investor looks at what the stock will earn him from the date of purchase and past history is showing that the shares will not give much return over the next quarter. So those who are looking for future value and are willing to take risks will obviously want to buy at a lower price. Since there are no takers at full price (whatever that might be), the value investors are dictating the price.

    Once RIM gets their final device to market and if it does well then you would see a positive movement in stock. However as things stand now, no one can guarantee a that the final product will bring in revenue, so the market is waiting for the final device to come on market before bidding up on RIMM.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

    Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
    Thanked by:
    DPSydBerry (05-04-2012) 
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
  10. kemj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    290BC3C6 (9900) / 500CF65B (PB)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    I'm not understanding why this seems to be news to you. RIMs stock has been suffering for a while now. And will continue until they do something to turn it around. Apple's stock goes up steadily and takes big increases at the announcement/release of a new iPad or iPhone. They were actually speculating it could one day each $1,000 per share. I doubt that would ever happen but the current stock prices are not surprising to me. Did you see Apple's last earning call and how much cash they have? They are the most valuable brand in the world. So yeah, the stock is probably where it should be.
    Investors want RIM to be sold, and the new OS licensed. Thus anything they do will be thrown to the trash...

    If everyone wants BB10 to be licensed that only means that RIM is developing a great OS that can be the new standard out there.
    Thanked by:
    waker (05-17-2012) 
    stevepar likes this.
  11. scorpiodsu's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,133 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts
    PIN
    LPG5ULJQ - Live profile (try it!)
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kemj View Post
    Investors want RIM to be sold, and the new OS licensed. Thus anything they do will be thrown to the trash...

    If everyone wants BB10 to be licensed that only means that RIM is developing a great OS that can be the new standard out there.
    If that's your opinion, then why do you seem so shocked. You apparently have answer for it.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini
  12. OzarkaTexile's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    233 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I believe the stock price is only held up by RIM's patent assets. That is, it's trading near liquidation levels. RIM is now in the Zombie period that Nokia went through: cranking out old phones on a dead platform until their new stuff hits the streets. Their legacy OS is a dead end and BB10 is an unknown with no devices until later this year. The stock price reflects that.

    Good news, though. If you think RIM can turn it around and return to industry dominance, their stock is currently on sale. 15% off April prices.
  13. morlock_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I'd say Monday's announcement will trigger the increase.

    Stockholders seem to prefer gizmos over abstract constructions like quality software and revolutionary OS design. It's too far above the average individual's head. In short, RIM is too smart for joe investor.

    Considering the 'Wake Up' campaign, I'd say they're launching the 4G tablets in Australia, as there's a market there looking for 4G tablets in the wake of Apple's fsckup.

    They'll take that market, then use the positive feedback to create a wave to ride onwards to BB10.
  14. OzarkaTexile's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    233 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morlock_man View Post
    I'd say they're launching the 4G tablets in Australia, as there's a market there looking for 4G tablets in the wake of Apple's fsckup.

    They'll take that market, then use the positive feedback to create a wave to ride onwards to BB10.
    Playbook sales at firesale prices can't move the needle on RIM earnings. There has been no strong demand for Playbooks in any market and that isn't likely to change with the addition of a 4G radio. RIM's stock price will remain depressed until they can show strong sales on Playbook or BB10 devices, or until there is a credible buy rumor.
  15. undone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,081 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Investors/media wanted to see a new device at the DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE! When in fact RIM has done EXACTLY what they said they did, have a developers conference. Expectations on the street are ******** on a good day. Never mind the lazy reports you can read or hear about what RIM is or isnt doing, half facts or missing details. I am more annoyed on the failing of today's media then the stock price.
  16. dentynefire's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,414 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    RIM needs to release a BB10 phone with good sales, positive press. I believe that its that simple.....of course take over rumours would help too.
  17. morlock_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkaTexile View Post
    Playbook sales at firesale prices can't move the needle on RIM earnings. There has been no strong demand for Playbooks in any market and that isn't likely to change with the addition of a 4G radio. RIM's stock price will remain depressed until they can show strong sales on Playbook or BB10 devices, or until there is a credible buy rumor.
    That depends on how much they're really losing on each device. The build cost will have come down significantly over the last year. And with them offering 4G you can expect an Australia carrier has already signed on to sell the device as part of a package. If they're not losing money its not a firesale.

    If they release with the same hardware, plus 4G, in a market that doesn't have a quality 4G tablet... thats a market waiting to be claimed. And since any new device they offer will obviously get the free upgrades to BB10 when it rolls out this summer, it just adds to the wave.

    I'm expecting a positive bump come Monday's announcement.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
  18. the_sleuth's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,173 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    It's Heins' comments yesterday morning, he acknowledged RIM has several challenging quarters ahead, and nothing announced this week will change RIM's predicament.



    Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
  19. morlock_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_sleuth View Post
    It's Heins' comments yesterday morning, he acknowledged RIM has several challenging quarters ahead, and nothing announced this week will change RIM's predicament.
    This week, no.

    Next week? Maybe.

    They're playing it close to their chest. They don't owe money, so having their stock drop doesn't mean much as there are no debts to leverage against them. They could be planning to repurchase their own stock from the market to hold off the possibility of a takeover.
  20. dcgore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    The stock is so oversold that even if one doesn't go in a buy it right now, it will make money. I tend to agree with most people that it's too early to go in and i would just toss some money at RIM.

    Look, we all here really like blackberry and have great hopes for it. In the end, as a business, RIM is losing market share, it's not doing well. Hope that changes soon.
  21. louzer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    19,100 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,150 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    $12.00 at midday. Ouch!
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

    Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
  22. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    After what RIM showed at BBW the stock should be at $15.

    Investors are pesimistic

    They showed great stuff at BBW...where's the freakin CMO
    stevepar likes this.
  23. morlock_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Wait until Monday.

    It's not like it would help the stock to announce a marketing campaign, makes it less astonishing when you do. Just launch one.

    At least they gave us a countdown.
  24. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    11,567 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,370 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morlock_man View Post
    I'd say Monday's announcement will trigger the increase.

    Stockholders seem to prefer gizmos over abstract constructions like quality software and revolutionary OS design. It's too far above the average individual's head. In short, RIM is too smart for joe investor.

    Considering the 'Wake Up' campaign, I'd say they're launching the 4G tablets in Australia, as there's a market there looking for 4G tablets in the wake of Apple's fsckup.

    They'll take that market, then use the positive feedback to create a wave to ride onwards to BB10.
    Hilarious.

    Oh... wait... you're serious?
    scorpiodsu, buwee and Yaceka like this.
  25. mphillips828's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,366 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,368 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morlock_man View Post
    Wait until Monday.

    It's not like it would help the stock to announce a marketing campaign, makes it less astonishing when you do. Just launch one.

    At least they gave us a countdown.
    I have read this quite often in this thread about how we will have to wait till next week to see what they are going to do...or whats happening...but just want to throw this out there just in case you havent heard this yet...

    "RIM 'fessed up to the stunt and issued a statement saying that on May 7th it will do something that “will aim to provoke conversation on what ‘being in business’ means to Australians.”

    This is what the countdown is counting down to...something about "being in business"...what do you guys think this means...could it mean the 4G PlayBook allowing Australians (And ultimately the world) to take business with them everywhere they go?

    If this is a countdown to a 4G release, then its kind of weird it was a localized campaign...unless they chose Australian because they currently have no 4G tablets
Page 1 of 33 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions