Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Darlaten
  • 1 Post By playboldbook
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,714 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default This is what gaming looks like on BB10 globe and mail

Video: This is what gaming looks like on BlackBerry 10 - The Globe and Mail

First, doesn't Anders have the nicest hair.

Second, this is what should have been shown on the launch. Multiple games running at the same time and the ability to switch between them on the fly demonstrating the power of BB10. It's very impressive.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    Thanked by 5:
    cjcampbell (02-01-2013),  pmccartney (02-01-2013),  r0v3rT3N (02-01-2013),  Superfly_FR (02-01-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,003 Global Posts

Nice.. thanks for sharing.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed. A fear I had for BB10 was that it would lag when jumping between apps and wouldn't have a very fluid experience. That is now all and done with. I'm very much looking forward to a real superphone feeling, Blackberry style
    CrackBerry Abuser

Very cool, and yes why wasn't this shown at the launch, or is this the strategy. Low level launch (because no US availability right now). Then use advertizing dollars to slowly build it up again over the next month for when it is available to the US. Would the US customer have been even more choked with a super-duper-whiz-bang launch show, just to be told, um, can't have it now? US customers are choked enough as it is right now. I don't pretend to know, just guessing, as I am still kind of choked about the whole launch event myself.
    BB10BelieveIt likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

im not getting how gaming will work when a accidental swipe will send you into the hub, or minimize the game.
    the playbook screen is larger, and only the down-to-up swipe affects things, really.
    but on a small 4.2" screen, i'm thinking fruit ninja and such will be more frustrating than fun.

thoughts?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by drummer_god View Post
    im not getting how gaming will work when a accidental swipe will send you into the hub, or minimize the game.
    the playbook screen is larger, and only the down-to-up swipe affects things, really.
    but on a small 4.2" screen, i'm thinking fruit ninja and such will be more frustrating than fun.

thoughts?
    Good point, I have definitely swiped out of gaming apps more than on a few occasions on my playbook. Will it be worse on the phone? I guess you will learn to keep away from the bezels, maybe they can even dial down the sensitivity of the bezels when in certain apps?

Be good to hear how people are getting on with that
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,003 Global Posts

thoughts?
    Happens all the time in Stick Tennis, although I am becoming more aware so happens less often now than it used to. I was actually wondering what it would be like on the phone as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

thoughts?
    I remember reading here in he forums that BlackBerry has thought of that and implemented some sort of control setting to prevent that sort of thing from being a problem. Can't remember what it was.
    Follow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver
    CrackBerry Addict

Perhaps someone who has the new Z10 can shed some light on this?

i do it on my pb all the time too and its quite aggravating indeed. Havent be able to test on a z10 yet to see if its better.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

cool, he swiped up from the bottom bezel in landscape to minimize. I've been interest to see how things work in landscape since I find I've used my iphone a lot in that orientation. I'm really looking forward to having BB10 on PBs and a phone since my family has a bunch of PBs and I'll be getting a phone so I'm sure there will be some good gaming to do.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

Aw Yeah,
    Work and Play is looking fine on the Z10.

About the accidental minimizing though, perhaps Blackberry can implement a swipe lock setting that can only be disabled with a topright diagonal to bottom left swipe. Something can be fashioned I'm sure.
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

That looks ******* awesome. Come on being more gaming apps by Tuesday.
    CrackBerry Addict

i suggest, the gesture to minimize a game should be ;
    a complete swipe from bottom bezel to top bezel.
    much like the wake-up gesture, it isn't a movement one would do accidently while slashing away at fruit or something.

so, you're in a game, and the red LED light comes on; full swipe from bottom to top minimizing the game, then you can do the normal 'hub' gesture to check it out. when ready to go back to the game, just maximize the active frame.

thoughts?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    i do it on my pb all the time too and its quite aggravating indeed. Havent be able to test on a z10 yet to see if its better.
    it is a bit aggrivating no doubt espexially when the browser is open also, that memory hog ends up causing the apps that are not in use to shut down and there is a bit of lag, but at the same time the Playbook is not fully optimized and does not have the hardware capabilities the Z10 has. the Playbook does gamign extremely well though and is a big time feature of it i really had not doubt the z10 would be any different
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Darlaten View Post
    Video: This is what gaming looks like on BlackBerry 10 - The Globe and Mail

First, doesn't Anders have the nicest hair.

Second, this is what should have been shown on the launch. Multiple games running at the same time and the ability to switch between them on the fly demonstrating the power of BB10. It's very impressive.
    i tried that on my playbook to see how many i could run b4 crash,,, answer: 4 (MC2, jetpackjoyride, need4speed, sector strike, all i have) + 1 light web page,,, a labor (ram) intensive page closed browser, not games...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."
    CrackBerry Genius

thoughts?
    sector strike has those kind of gestures on playbook,,, very rarely do i swipe out of it,,, might be tricky on a small screen tho...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."
    CrackBerry Genius

One thing that will be better on BB10 (I would prefer it being there, but don't think RIM will put it back in) is that the side swiping between apps is gone. That was one problem with the PlayBook where you would switch apps when you get too close to the left or right hand side. haven't had that problem with BB10 on the dev alpha.
    CrackBerry Master

Doesn't play. Wish they'd upload it to YouTube too.
    -------------

Global Posts
    10,211 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darlaten View Post
    Thx 4 sharing this !
    Time consuming. But in a way what you ask is exactly what they (Anders) did ... in the after hours. So we'll probably see this type of demos bombing the web very soon.
    I believe this is smart. Remember, BlackBerry have to recover the business guys as the #1 target ... games will not impress them, even in a balance environment (BTW wondering what would happen if you switch to work environment with 4 games minimized ... if it holds ... this is *wow*)
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    One thing that will be better on BB10 (I would prefer it being there, but don't think RIM will put it back in) is that the side swiping between apps is gone. That was one problem with the PlayBook where you would switch apps when you get too close to the left or right hand side. haven't had that problem with BB10 on the dev alpha.
    Agreed, I never accidentally minimized a program on my PB but I have activated the side switching gesture a few times. Won't be a problem on BB10
    CrackBerry Master

The link isn't working for me
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts

Hmmm... Anders was playing JetPack Joyride, which... I have on my PlayBook - but this is not yet available in BB World for my Z10. Searches come up with nothing.