Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What does BB10 offer that's better...

What does the new BB10 offer that is better than the new iPhones I'm not tech savvy really, but from what research I've done on the BlackBerry that is supposed to come out in October, it doesn't look like it can do anything that the newer iPhones can't do. I have had a blackberry for a while now and have loved them, but I'm due an upgrade in September and really thinking hard about getting the new iPhone that is coming out this fall. What is it that is supposed to make the new BlackBerry coming out a "game changer"?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    66,697 Global Posts

Won't know until it's real. For me, and I know from having a playbook, it will offer me a user experience that I prefer. The UI, the swipes, the multitasking etc.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    kennyliu likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Will not know what it will do until it is released... right now with the expection of keyboard and camera specific function.... RIM has been in lock down mode... as well they should... what have you heard from Apple on their upcoming Iphone 5.... not much !!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Right, I know we'll have to wait to see for sure... I just meant what are they advertising is supposed to be better..
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

As everyone else is saying,
    We won't know until it is released,
    The PlayBook calendar, the new bb10 keyboard, bbm integration, RIM's focus will be communication, if they stick to their strengths we'll also see data compression, and controls from top to bottom like no other.

But it's all a wait and see, check the new iphone, and the bb10 device against eachother at launch, and see which is better for you
    jegs2, mzceetee and needforbbx like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

It offers something that Apple has not really offered for the last three phone releases, significant hardware improvements and a new fresh revamped OS experience! It is not rocket science, it is going to be something totally new to the handheld device market. Can't be any clearer than that!
    Thanked by:
    bbfan1040 (11-08-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

And if it's everything that it's being cracked up to be, who knows, it might just turn the tide, and make some android users and Apple users jump ship and come back to the BB experience for a change, instead of BB users jumping ship. Yes, since it is totally new and nothing else out there is like it, might cause people to become curious about it enough to make them try it for themselves, like it and then get one of their own. Some people say it's too late for RIM. While part of me might agree with that to some degree, I think about the old saying "Its never to late" Produce a well made product that everyone might want, and step back and watch the fun
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by axeman1000 View Post
    It offers something that Apple has not really offered for the last three phone releases, significant hardware improvements and a new fresh revamped OS experience! It is not rocket science, it is going to be something totally new to the handheld device market. Can't be any clearer than that!
    Huh? What "significant hardware improvements"? They might be significant from a BB perspective, but from a competitors stand point it will be (at best) on par with stuff being released today. As for the experience, if their building it off the PB interface, then hopefully we'll see some better user friendly results with the final build. While I like the multi-tasking of the PB, a lot of the other stuff leaves little to desire imo (tapping the "new message" icon for it to tell me I have new messages..I mean..c'mon)
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Thanked by:
    kennyliu (06-10-2012) 
    Rello and Shlooky like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    PIN
    No BBM

We shall all see soon! I don't think we can compare and say it does this better or the such. More, what does BB10 do for you! But for those of us that use our phones for communication, I think BB10 will excel in that area.
    CrackBerry Genius

What does iphone5 offer thats better than bb10?
    CrackBerry Master

At least Google won't be in control of it and all of the users personal information
    rigwrecker likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Huh? What "significant hardware improvements"? They might be significant from a BB perspective, but from a competitors stand point it will be (at best) on par with stuff being released today. As for the experience, if their building it off the PB interface, then hopefully we'll see some better user friendly results with the final build. While I like the multi-tasking of the PB, a lot of the other stuff leaves little to desire imo (tapping the "new message" icon for it to tell me I have new messages..I mean..c'mon)
    Hope they don't do that with the phone and BBX is all I can say. Having to "tap to open" again seems annoying to me. If you're expected to remember the gestures, then you'd figure out what the icons do. But I think most of the UX will change with BBX.
    mithrazor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM626 View Post
    At least Google won't be in control of it and all of the users personal information
    Yes, on iPhone, the Devs get to raid your info instead of Google...
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    I still don't get why people keep saying this, and it quite honestly irritates me to no end. Nobody knows what the specs will be yet other than the display resolution (they've been saying for forever that it will be the same as the PlayBook) or what features are going to be baked in. Yeah, ok, you can jump on past performance; but let me remind everybody that BB10 is not like any past BB. Not that specs matter a whit anyway, as one could argue that even iPhones are usually behind the highest-end Androids when they're released, yet there are no single Android models outselling them. But there's no reason to believe NOW that RIM will be any further behind the current spec than any other phone released at the same time. None.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    Thanked by:
    axeman1000 (06-16-2012) 

While we haven't gotten our hands on BB!0 yet, you can get an idea of a lot of the flow from the PB. I much prefer the way it works to iOS. Getting the options for an app, IN THE APP, makes much more sense to me than getting out of the app by going to the home screen, finding the Settings icon, finding the particular app and changing the settings. The multi-tasking, app closing and swiping maneuvers all make logical sense and become very intuitive. My daughter found herself swiping at the iPad screen the other day and got embarrassed. I told it warmed my heart to see it...

Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post
    Hope they don't do that with the phone and BBX is all I can say. Having to "tap to open" again seems annoying to me. If you're expected to remember the gestures, then you'd figure out what the icons do. But I think most of the UX will change with BBX.
    IIRC, there was a time when the New Messages notification actually showed the subject of the various new messages, not just that you have a new one. Not sure what changed or if it was intentional but the extra click may be a hold over from that
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

BB10 will be closest to what a smartphone should be and could be

Currently the iPhone is popular...that's good and bad. Bad because the iPhone will be a same-difference product...why fix what seems to be working
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Hey, the true multitasking & alerts customization is priceless for me. I hope RIM keeps the alerts (profiles) customization on BB10.

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Direct answer to OP : The FLOW.

My understanding is that this concept explains two aspects of the OS :
    1. The way you use it : swipe left,right,up,down,one finger operation,transitions,effects ... amazing Cascade UI.
    2. The way native/added apps can anytime be linked together (I'm in a "best restaurant" app and I can in a wipe add it to my schedule, mail ot text/BBM a contact that posted a FB like before, ping someone's that is in already ...) without leaving the app nor starting another one. Said like that, many will state "but I can already on my xxx"; it's not. While on a "xxx" you will be able to use one particular social embedded tool, there you go "universal", with all that YOUR device is holding ... wha-ooooow.

In fact hard to describe "in full" until we can demonstrate it ... but this would really fire an unmatched experience ... where ease of use meets power.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-11-2012 at 04:23 AM.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    972 Global Posts
    PIN
    I Don't Know You Like That!

A better title/topic would be,

"What do you "think" BB10 will offer that's better...
    If your tired of someone's comments, why not just put them on Ignore

"While your computer's crashing, mine's multitasking, it does all my work without me even asking"
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    I still don't get why people keep saying this, and it quite honestly irritates me to no end. Nobody knows what the specs will be yet other than the display resolution (they've been saying for forever that it will be the same as the PlayBook) or what features are going to be baked in. Yeah, ok, you can jump on past performance; but let me remind everybody that BB10 is not like any past BB. Not that specs matter a whit anyway, as one could argue that even iPhones are usually behind the highest-end Androids when they're released, yet there are no single Android models outselling them. But there's no reason to believe NOW that RIM will be any further behind the current spec than any other phone released at the same time. None.

Well if it has the same screen resolution as the playbook, it won't be a significant hardware upgrade against the competition.

Also we know it's going to be dual core which also isn't a significant hardware upgrade, dual core is standard now - every high-end device from now on will have it. Some are even going quad (but it's debatable what the benefits of that are).

There are a lot of reasons besides past performance to believe that bb10 will not best the competition on the hardware front.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric300 View Post
    Well if it has the same screen resolution as the playbook, it won't be a significant hardware upgrade against the competition.

Also we know it's going to be dual core which also isn't a significant hardware upgrade, dual core is standard now - every high-end device from now on will have it. Some are even going quad (but it's debatable what the benefits of that are).

There are a lot of reasons besides past performance to believe that bb10 will not best the competition on the hardware front.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    On the display side of things, the specs would seem to indicate being better than the competition as it beats Apple in both size and resolution and the S3 in resolution/dpi:
    - BB Dev Alpha: Display: 4.2-inch 1280x768 HD LCD (356dpi) touch screen
    - iPhone 4S: 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
    - Samsung S3: Display: 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED (1280720) Pentile (no Plus)

For the processor, I think Apple has shown that you don't need the best specs to ensure you have a good experience as the iPhone hasn't always had the best specs. In addition, if you look at Android, having the best specs doesn't guarantee the best experience. It all comes down to end experience, regardless of the specs. And obviously this is a statement to defend BlackBerry for not having good specs because I've just shown they have the best specs in at least one area. On the other hand, I'll tell you from my experience with the Playbook, I think either the OS needs to be better optimized or it needs better specs as the experience could definitely flow better (in my opinion) so hopefully BB10 either has a better processor than the PB or the OS has been significantly tweaked.

My two cents...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,457 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Yes, on iPhone, the Devs get to raid your info instead of Google...
    Last I saw on the news having an iPhone meant that BOTH the Devs & Google got to raid your personal info...though now that they are facing lawsuits & fines I'm guessing/hoping google will no longer be grabbing your iPhone info....
    Banned

Nothing, RIM has kids straight out of high school creating their OS, along with them teaming up with other companies to provide nothing really exciting to anyone but the crackheads.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    981 Global Posts

Ask again 2 or 3 weeks after it's been released.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,371 Global Posts

BB10 is at the drawing board stage. How anyone can say it offers anything at all is totally beyond me and that's if it ever sees the light of day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast