Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
Like Tree13Likes
  1. playpen007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default This week, RIM indicated JPMorgan and RBC will help it find a partner for licensing

    Have anyone posted this article yet? Research In Motion Limited (USA) (NASDAQ:RIMM): Research In Motion increased 0.52% to US$10.66 with more than 13.67 million shares traded hands, compared to its average volume of 18.04 million shares. This week, RIM indicated JPMorgan and RBC will help it find a partner for licensing its operating system as "strategic business model alternatives". The company also tries to cost down by reducing spending and headcount. The company has reviewed the report but could not confirm any details. Academic studies have shown that insiders traditionally make higher investment returns than ordinary investors. Want to find out how they do it?

    Top Stock Alerts for Day Traders: Research In Motion, Fresh Market, Dow Chemical, Whole Foods Market, Silver Wheaton, and Talisman Energy | Virtual-Strategy Magazine
    Thanked by 2:
    dbollman423 (06-14-2012),  Thunderbuck (06-14-2012) 
    Thunderbuck and dbollman423 like this.
  2. janeka's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    237 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Interesting, I always looked at RIM as a survivor if they can find someone to bite they will be on the roll.
    dbollman423 likes this.
  3. Blackberry_boffin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    696 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Now, why didn't I see that one coming?
    <smacks his forehead> Of course!
    LOL.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
  4. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,978 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    It just sounds like a garbled rehash of the "working with bankers" info they released a few weeks ago...
    Shiva Kamini Somakandarkram !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    This REEKS of Samsung. They are over the barrel now that Google has gone through with their purchase of Motorola and the Droids by Motorola rolling out. Apple just dropped their request for a restraining order against the Galaxy SIII rollout so as to expedite the trial.

    A software licensing agreement can work out to both vendors benefit. BB10 is supposed to be lightening fast and support gaming.

    Also, been seing ads for Atrix II-The business phone you really want, from Motorola.
  6. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Also, with the rise of NFC, which is supposed to supplant traditional debit/credit cards in the near future, I would not want to go with Android or Iphone over Blackberry when I can remotely lock and wipe my phone if it is lost or stolen.

    Plus, I am sure that if Samsung insists that BBM be a part of the deal you will see a rebirth of BBM like never before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jamezalexander likes this.
  7. kyleheney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    As much as people may say that a Samsung deal could never happen, if it did happen, I really think it would completely turn things around for RIM. Just the (positive) media attention around a current heavyweight like Samsung having interest in RIM's mobile division would send shockwaves of excitement through BB land. Samsung is in top form right now and anything it does will be seen as a good move from the media's perspective. Perspective is huge heading into BB10 launch. RIM/BB's perspective in the media is not getting any better so they need some good news to brighten doubters' perspective of the future.
    #HeneyBlog

     
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleheney View Post
    As much as people may say that a Samsung deal could never happen, if it did happen, I really think it would completely turn things around for RIM. Just the (positive) media attention around a current heavyweight like Samsung having interest in RIM's mobile division would send shockwaves of excitement through BB land. Samsung is in top form right now and anything it does will be seen as a good move from the media's perspective. Perspective is huge heading into BB10 launch. RIM/BB's perspective in the media is not getting any better so they need some good news to brighten doubters' perspective of the future.
    Definitely would be huge to have a Sammy in their corner heading into the launch of BB10. Would also explain why devs got a 'dev alpha' device and not a prototype to work with.
    Ed

    Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,320 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I looked into this report earlier and couldn't find anything that indicates that this is actually based upon a rehash of what was said before.
  10. morlock_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I wouldn't think Samsung would be the only one interested.

    It's not about smartphones, it's a platform. They could take the entire market controlled by Windows CE.
  11. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Thorsten Heins just might come out of this as the most brilliant businessman of the early 21st Century.
    Laridae likes this.
  12. BOLD 40's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by playpen007 View Post
    Have anyone posted this article yet? Research In Motion Limited (USA) (NASDAQ:RIMM): Research In Motion increased 0.52% to US$10.66 with more than 13.67 million shares traded hands, compared to its average volume of 18.04 million shares. This week, RIM indicated JPMorgan and RBC will help it find a
    partner for licensing its operating system as "strategic business model alternatives". The company also tries to cost down by reducing spending and headcount. The company has reviewed the report but could not confirm any details. Academic studies have shown that insiders traditionally make higher investment returns than ordinary investors. Want to find out how they do it?

    Top Stock Alerts for Day Traders: Research In Motion, Fresh Market, Dow Chemical, Whole Foods Market, Silver Wheaton, and Talisman Energy | Virtual-Strategy Magazine


    BB will become fragmented much like droid. My wife got a droid phone. She hated it. She took my BB. Ive been stuck with this phone for a while. Now im do for an upgrade i wanted BB10. If this happens, as much as I love BB, may have to find a new phone.
  13. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbollman423 View Post
    This REEKS of Samsung. They are over the barrel now that Google has gone through with their purchase of Motorola and the Droids by Motorola rolling out.
    Samsung's over the barrel? I'm pretty sure Samsung isn't worried about any of the other competitors right now. Their Galaxy line-up is crushing the Android competition, while the only thing that Motorola has put out even note worthy is the Razr Maxx (with it's 3300mAh battery). Very few people in the Android community care for Motoblur (Motorola's skin), but quite a few seem to enjoy Touchwhiz (perhaps because it's similiar to Apple).
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  14. TBone4eva's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    888 Posts
    Global Posts
    890 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOLD 40 View Post
    BB will become fragmented much like droid. My wife got a droid phone. She hated it. She took my BB. Ive been stuck with this phone for a while. Now im do for an upgrade i wanted BB10. If this happens, as much as I love BB, may have to find a new phone.
    You wouldn't have the same amount of fragmentation because QNX is not open source. Whoever the licensing partner is, won't be able to alter the OS very much, if at all. Maybe they could throw a "theme" with different looking icons on it, but the underlying OS and features would be the same.

    I still think Amazon would make a great partner. It would make sense for RIM to partner with a content provider and Amazon has plenty of content. The Kindle Fire is just the lite version of the PlayBook with Android on it. Plus, since QNX has an Android player, Amazon would have no problems converting their app store to the QNX platform. Amazon and Google are gradually becoming competitors so I'm sure Amazon would prefer not to have rely on Google for their mobile OS as this competition grows.
  15. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Samsung's over the barrel? I'm pretty sure Samsung isn't worried about any of the other competitors right now. Their Galaxy line-up is crushing the Android competition, while the only thing that Motorola has put out even note worthy is the Razr Maxx (with it's 3300mAh battery). Very few people in the Android community care for Motoblur (Motorola's skin), but quite a few seem to enjoy Touchwhiz (perhaps because it's similiar to Apple).
    Crushing the Android competition. It is Android. They are cannibalising the Android market at Google's expense. All Samsung, a Korean manufacturer that does not have its own proprietary OS, has to pin its future to is a promise made to the Chinese government to support android for five years and not charge "unreasonable" licensing fees.

    Google is in the driver seat.

    Whereas, with RIM/BB Samsung can negotiate. That means they have power and are not powerless to take the terms. Especially after five years. Are they going to spend the next five years building their brand to find out that the "partnership" is way too lobsided when they are held hostage?
  16. jamezalexander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    631 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    PIN
    29375093
    #16  

    Default

    Samsun, HTC, LG
    Either way it comes down to RIM.
    BB10 must prove itself before all else
    BlackBerry 10 is not late. It's early. @JMZNVS @BBRYFLOW
  17. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbollman423 View Post
    Crushing the Android competition. It is Android. They are cannibalising the Android market at Google's expense. All Samsung, a Korean manufacturer that does not have its own proprietary OS, has to pin its future to is a promise made to the Chinese government to support android for five years and not charge "unreasonable" licensing fees.

    Google is in the driver seat.

    Whereas, with RIM/BB Samsung can negotiate. That means they have power and are not powerless to take the terms. Especially after five years. Are they going to spend the next five years building their brand to find out that the "partnership" is way too lobsided when they are held hostage?
    How do you cannibalise the very market you're in? That would be equivalent to saying the Bold 9900 is cannibalising the rest of the BB line-up. Do you really think Google cares which manufacturer is selling their product?..

    I'm not doubting that Samsung wouldn't want to dip into other OS's..because why not try to capitilize on another OS. It's business sense. I just don't think Samsung is "over the barrel" in any way. If it wasn't for Android (and Google), they wouldn't be selling anywhere near as many phones as they are currently (Apple being their only true competitor).
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  18. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    I say that they are cannibalizing because the end user was probably choosing between android products. Therefore, although it is a win for android overall, it is a loss for other android vendors (HTC, Motorola, LG, etc.). That was my point. I think that there is competition between them.

    And yes, I do think Google would rather have Motorola make the sale since they own Motorola.
    Last edited by dbollman423; 06-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.
  19. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbollman423 View Post
    I say that they are cannibalizing because the end user was probably choosing between android procucts. Therefore, although it is a win for android overall, it is a loss for other android vendors (HTC, Motorola, LG, etc.). That was my point. I think that there is competition between them.

    And yes, I do think Google would rather have Motorola make the sale since the own Motorola.
    Of course their is a competition amongst the Android vendors. They all chose to use the (free) Android software in an attempt to sell their hardware. That's the nature of the business they're in. Samsung becoming the clear winner hurts the other vendors, but no more than it would if Apple or BB were gobbling up their (HTC, LG etc) potential customers.

    Ultimately, it's not Android vs the World. It's still a dog eat dog world, and even moreso amongst the Android vendors, as they are all competing with the same software..so they need their hardware to stand out even more (which also explains the hardware racing that's been going on).
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  20. Shlooky's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    657 Posts
    PIN
    For the ladies only :-)
    #20  

    Default

    Does this mean RIM will be out of the handset hardware market and allow companies like Samsung for example, to build them?
    If this is the case, I support it. At least it gets handsets out quicker with a tons of models to choose from. On the negative side however, the quality of the handsets produced by Samsung and HTC are very low end, cheap plastic and components. BB phones produced by them will be no different than any Android based junk you see today in the market.
    Canadians still build the best quality hardware
  21. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,363 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    But wait, according to all the RIM non-enthusiasts on this forum they hired those banks to sell the company, not license the OS!!! I'm so shocked because these people were certain of this and should have been in the know. Man it makes you wonder how right they are about everything else they say
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
  22. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shlooky View Post
    On the negative side however, the quality of the handsets produced by Samsung and HTC are very low end, cheap plastic and components. BB phones produced by them will be no different than any Android based junk you see today in the market.
    Lol..RIM could only wish they were selling anywhere near the number of "junk" Samsung is right now.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  23. abwan11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    468 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    The article says rim increase today which is wrong. It went down hard today and then came back to close down .27 to 10.40us so I don't know how accurate this article is. Yesterday rim closed up to 10.66us. Rim is down a penny after hours and I wasn't able to find any other news source reporting this.

    Any idea what time this was published?
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
  24. BBPandy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,489 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,491 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBone4eva View Post
    You wouldn't have the same amount of fragmentation because QNX is not open source. Whoever the licensing partner is, won't be able to alter the OS very much, if at all. Maybe they could throw a "theme" with different looking icons on it, but the underlying OS and features would be the same.

    I still think Amazon would make a great partner. It would make sense for RIM to partner with a content provider and Amazon has plenty of content. The Kindle Fire is just the lite version of the PlayBook with Android on it. Plus, since QNX has an Android player, Amazon would have no problems converting their app store to the QNX platform. Amazon and Google are gradually becoming competitors so I'm sure Amazon would prefer not to have rely on Google for their mobile OS as this competition grows.
    I agree. I don't support Amazon buying RIM. I don't think that's good for either company, but a licensing deal would be good. RIM could make amazon specificly branded tablets ect.
  25. dbollman423's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    569 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    The article says rim increase today which is wrong. It went down hard today and then came back to close down .27 to 10.40us so I don't know how accurate this article is. Yesterday rim closed up to 10.66us. Rim is down a penny after hours and I wasn't able to find any other news source reporting this.

    Any idea what time this was published?
    You might very well be correct. It is much ado about an obscure reference. Licensing the software could be a good news. Ask Microsoft. You know Bill Gates ripped off Steve Jobs, right. When he was a software consultant to IBM, he came across this nice software from a firm called Apple. Honestly, he told the president of Apple "you really know you should copyright this". Mr. Jobs said "software is free, how can you copyright thought".

    Today it is known as windows.

    But back to licensing, Blackberry has major support in the far east, mid east, europe, africa and australia. Cheap hand units and loved software. Everywhere Apple has forsaken.
    Last edited by dbollman423; 06-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions