Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default US In Store Sales Experience

Hey, here is a thread for folks who are walking up to AT&T or Best Buy stores today to buy their Z10. Was the sales person knowledgeable? Did you see other folks buying? Did they mention how much stock they had on hand?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,952 Global Posts

Great thread if people follow thru. It's going to awhile for me unfortunately.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry User

Was at best buy on Houston street in nyc. The 2 sales ladies were raving about it before I even approached them. No customers there at the time though. Will be checking out neighboring stores tonight.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I went to mid-town NYC AT&T store. They had it out and displayed. Two folks (probably a couple) were each buying one when I was there. They were going through the activation process while I taught myself how to peak and flow.
    Thanked by:
    TimJohnSmith (03-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,323 Global Posts

Didn't buy one, but queried a local Best Buy. They knew what a Z10 was, and they said they had them. None were on display though, and none were advertised.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Ill be going to my local Best Buy later today after I pick up my car from the shop. This is the same Best Buy I was at 8 or so months ago and the floor manager told me that " BlackBerry was too late to the game...I'm pretty sure they are bankrupt now." " Its kinda sad really...but we do have some great Android phones here"

I'm crossing my fingers that he is there later today
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JonCBK View Post
    I went to mid-town NYC AT&T store. They had it out and displayed. Two folks (probably a couple) were each buying one when I was there. They were going through the activation process while I taught myself how to peak and flow.
    I think you meant "I taught myself how to peek and flow". If you peaked just before you flowed you were either urinating and suffering from an enlarged prostate or physically arousing your genitalia in advance of release (and I don't mean the release of the BlackBerry Z10). ROFLMAO
    CrackBerry Abuser

i just checked out the best buy in NYC that Kevin was at....they had one on display but you couldnt play with it. It was also in a very non discrete area. I had to walk around looking for it. Apple, Samsung and LG had their own corners.

I then went to an AT&T and saw someone inquiring about the Z10. The salesman did not seem to know what he was saying. He said the only realy difference btwn the Z10 and older models is that its a faster processor. Also that the Z10 had apps, while the old ones didnt...
    CrackBerry User

I popped into the Times Square AT&T store and they had 1 demo unit (that I saw at least). The store was quiet and no one was touching the Z10 so I got to spend time with the unit uninterupted. As I left, a woman stopped me to ask if I just bought a Blackberry. I said no because I was expecting one for free (BB10 Ready offer). She told me that her editor sent her out to interview folks who bought the new Blackberry but she's been having a hard time finding people to speak with. Not a good sign.

I spent some time thinking about the seemingly lackluster launch considering after a mostly successful launch in other markets. I think the following factors come into play here:

1. Other phones have a craze during lauches because most companies don't offer iPhones or Androids for free. Anyone wanting those phone need to actually go out and buy it themselves. How many people are excited about the Z10 as I am but are waiting for their free phones?

2. Blackberry should have provided the phones to the people and companies (especially the IT dept) that are known Blackberry users first. A month in advance (especially for this launch) would have been beneficial in the US I believe. Reason being is that BB10 is not an OS you can just pick up for 5 minutes at a store to appreciate. Getting it in the hands of the people who will end up with them anyway will help Blackberry show off the new product and generate more buzz better than any ad can... and for FREE. I was told that my free BB10 device will be coming in 4-6 weeks. Imagine if I got one a month sooner I would have already shown it off to all my colleauges and friends.

I really nope my one experience is not the norm elsewhere but I fear for the worst. I know the Blackberry platform is the one that best suits me so I will enjoy it for as long as I can. Can't wait to get mine though... in 4-6 weeks. If anyone from Blackberry is reading this, please get it out to the BB10 Ready folks and any partners you have ASAP.
    Last edited by apenay; 03-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,952 Global Posts

so they advertise like mad where they are popular and its non existent where everyone thinks they are already dead

I think they will never learn.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    I think you meant "I taught myself how to peek and flow". If you peaked just before you flowed you were either urinating and suffering from an enlarged prostate or physically arousing your genitalia in advance of release (and I don't mean the release of the BlackBerry Z10). ROFLMAO
    Whoops. Yes I peeked. Nothing unusual. It took a few minutes to get the hang of it (especially since I hadn't previously tried one and I wasn't going to ask the sales person). I liked it. And the build quality felt great. Good combination of sturdy, high quality and yet not feeling like it needs a case (unlike last three generations of iPhone). Screen size is nice. I understand why folks say the screen is a little dim though. I wonder if I should have tried to increase the brightness.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apenay View Post
    I popped into the Times Square AT&T store and they had 1 demo unit (that I saw at least). The store was quiet and no one was touching the Z10 so I got to spend time with the unit uninterupted. As I left, a woman stopped me to ask if I just bought a Blackberry. I said no because I was expecting one for free (BB10 Ready offer). She told me that her editor sent her out to interview folks who bought the new Blackberry but she's been having a hard time finding people to speak with. Not a good sign.
    With only one wireless carrier releasing the BlackBerry Z10 on Friday, 22 March 2013, how can anyone expect not to find it difficult to find in-store purchasers of the smartphone? In the US most people browse, or graze like cattle as I refer to the practise, without buying. If they do make a purchase it tends to be on-line after they've touched the device in-store. Sales will be lacklustre until every carrier is selling the BlackBerry Z10 which means at least two calendar quarters. Poor show, Thorsten and Frank; you're freaking geniuses.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JonCBK View Post
    Whoops. Yes I peeked. Nothing unusual. It took a few minutes to get the hang of it (especially since I hadn't previously tried one and I wasn't going to ask the sales person). I liked it. And the build quality felt great. Good combination of sturdy, high quality and yet not feeling like it needs a case (unlike last three generations of iPhone). Screen size is nice. I understand why folks say the screen is a little dim though. I wonder if I should have tried to increase the brightness.
    I find the screen overly bright unless I set the brightness level to approximately 25%. The build quality is very impressive and with a removable battery this smartphone won't suffer the same fate as the Apple iPhone...you won't have to buy a new smartphone when the battery gives up the ghost in 2-3 years.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    With only one wireless carrier releasing the BlackBerry Z10 on Friday, 22 March 2013, how can anyone expect not to find it difficult to find in-store purchasers of the smartphone?
    Perhaps but I went to the same store for the Nokia Lumina 920 launch and there were at least 10 ppl waiting to pick up their phones. I also had to wait to play with the demo unit and while I was playing with it 3 others were waiting for me to finish. I was expecting at least that for this launch.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by apenay View Post
    Perhaps but I went to the same store for the Nokia Lumina 920 launch and there were at least 10 ppl waiting to pick up their phones. I also had to wait to play with the demo unit and while I was playing with it 3 others were waiting for me to finish. I was expecting at least that for this launch.
    Divide by the number of carriers? Three people? That would mean no line.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kellyweng88 View Post
    i just checked out the best buy in NYC that Kevin was at....they had one on display but you couldnt play with it. It was also in a very non discrete area. I had to walk around looking for it. Apple, Samsung and LG had their own corners.

I then went to an AT&T and saw someone inquiring about the Z10. The salesman did not seem to know what he was saying. He said the only realy difference btwn the Z10 and older models is that its a faster processor. Also that the Z10 had apps, while the old ones didnt...
    Unreal! Sad isn't it. It is not his fault.
    CrackBerry Genius

Folks: Not a good first day.

Stinks.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

It was the same way in Canada on Launch day. I went to the local Rogers Plus store and there was three of us waiting for it to open and get a Z10. While I was there, probably three or four others sold in the first hour.

In the end the sales were very good in the first two days in Canada, 50% better than any other BlackBerry, so traffic at the cell phone stores is not a good guide.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    the tail on the donkey....

I may have to swing by my local Best Buy this weekend to see what's up. Yesterday I swung by a location I drive past on my way back to my office and they had nothing at all in regards to teasing the Z10 or even any dummy units. I didn't bother to ask the clerks anything, as I honestly didn't expect much from them.
    Banned

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

I just came back to the ATT store near work and I can tell you the demand is extremely underwhelming. People probably didn't even notice the phone. It was next to the iphone 4s and some other non flagship phone. I went to try and test out the phone and whoever set it up or that is the standard setup does not know how to market it. The phone was lock to demo and when I tried to closed the demo it asked me for the ATT pw. I had to wait for some employee to unlock it. Once its unlocked i tried using it and it was slow because they said it's not on LTE, they are using the Starbuck Wifi next door. I end up talking to the employee about how was the demand, and he said hmmm there were couple here and there. When I turned back to the phone the demo screen came back on. So apparently once it goes to sleep it goes to demo mode, and anyone who want to test it out have to ask an employee to unlock it. Very dumb way of letting people test out the phone.

If this continue on z10 is good as dead in US
    CrackBerry User

Retail demo loop can be bypassed by using the voice control - simply tell the Z10 u want to open browser. And that will bypass the password.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

When I got to the store (AT&T, company owned, in a central location), the phones hadn't even been unpacked from the shipping container, and I had to come back an hour later. No display units, no advertising, but the store reps were aware that it launched today, and were similarly puzzled as to why they were not ready for sale.

I just blame it on the fact that people are so ignorant that they don't want a phone that works, and one that lets you take the battery out, doesn't choke on Yahoo email accounts, doesn't arbitrarily decide to disconnect from your wifi network, and lets you expand the memory as you see fit. In my experience, BlackBerry users typically read their bills, monitor their data usage, research their prospective purchases, and ask Google/Bing/Hotbot/Lycos/Jeeves/Dogpile before calling in for help with something. This is what is called a type A customer, with one disadvantage for the service provider: these customers make certain to use what they're paying for, and trim the fat when possible. Not a lot of money to be acquired from the learned crowd, so maybe this is why carriers introduced the Z10 (and the Q10 is MIA) with barely so much as a whisper?
    This post represents the offices of Me, Myself, and I. Representation of other individuals and entities is not implied, despite inferences.
    CrackBerry User

I think there might be more of a buzz at these stores once people actually get off of work.

*Crosses my fingers* Hopefully

Or people like me are just waiting for the Q10 since it is only a month away. At least that is what we were told.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Earlier today, I went to the flagship AT&T store in Missoula, Montana. I arrived at the store at about 1:30pm and they were just finishing with the setup of the demo phone. I had to wait a few minutes while it was being connected etc. There was only 1 demo phone, placed between a Bold 9900 and an iPhone 4s. There were no banners or any advertising of any sort within the store. However, the sales staff was semi-knowledgeable with the Z10 and not unwilling to promote it. It was very difficult for me to leave the store without a new Z10, but I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon, and will have to suffer through another week. I must say that the Z10 was an absolute pleasure to use. Having never so much as even seen a demo version before today (however, I have watched many useful videos here on CB), I was swiftly navigating my way around the device. I can see a lot of the PlayBook architecture in the Z10. The user experience is very intuitive and a pleasure. It wasn't long before I was showing the AT&T salesman a few of the features of the device (an obvious lack of training on the part of AT&T) and he seemed genuinely impressed with the device.
    peter9477 and s0be like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Word of mouth guys.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast