Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By wrusprod
  • 3 Post By adjdudley21
  • 1 Post By Paul Bedoret
  • 1 Post By njblackberry
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default U.S. Launch Day Deconstructed

I began to get nervous when I saw the Crackberry Best Buy midnight sales video and the sparse croud that the video tried not to show.

I did not expect that there would be a lot of big crouds but I did think that people at the launch event would go to Best Buyat Midnight and make a decent showing.

Then, all the reports came in from AT&T stores and my suspicions were confirmed: There is not in the US a large group of former or current Blackberryu owners waiting to upgrade.

I think that Blackberry would have been far better off with an earlier launch that built on the hype beginning with the launch event and continuing with the Superbowl ad. All of that was wasted for the US.

Instead, Blackberry has taken no time to build any hype at all. As such, no one knows about the z10. How could we expect good opening day sales when American consumers were not educated about the Z10.

We can hope for two things: (1) Blackberry will finally advertise effectively, and (2) Blackberry has enterprise sales locked up.

Enterprise sales would not be seen in store traffic. Maybe lots of units were shipped anyway.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

I was pretty excited with what I saw at my local ATT store in metro Detroit.. I guy in front of me was buying a Z10. he was giving a demostration with the store model to a women who was interested in getting the Z10. While waiting on my phone, someone called in and asked if the Z10 was in stock.
    They also said they were moving the phones and have had alot of interest in it.. and it was only 11am..

I posted on my facebook wall that I got the Z10..my close friends know Im a crackberry!...They all want to see it..

Hopefully, getting these phones out, people seeing them will help with sales..(I havent seen any advertisement for them!)

whats disappointing is that on this site, the day of launch, 2 seperate trending topics is in regards to the 'surprise tonight before launch'..which still havent heard what that is..if anything...
    BB Playbook 32G. BB Z10-Pebble Watch
    q649 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

One thing to consider is not everyone buys a phone just because there is a new one out. I'm under contract until the end of November and will be getting one at that time, until then my 9850 works fine. I've never paid full price for a phone, yes I know with the contract I basically am but it's spread out instead of a one lump sum at the time of purchase.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

It was only one carrier that launched, unlike simultaneous launches by the big three in Canada. It may take a while to see how the Z10 is selling in the USA. I have been looking at the online users count at the bottom of the main forum page of Crackberry and it isn't getting any bigger. When it peaks above PlayBook levels of 17k, we know the phone is catching on in the USA.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    280BF90E

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    I began to get nervous when I saw the Crackberry Best Buy midnight sales video and the sparse croud that the video tried not to show.

I did not expect that there would be a lot of big crouds but I did think that people at the launch event would go to Best Buyat Midnight and make a decent showing.

Then, all the reports came in from AT&T stores and my suspicions were confirmed: There is not in the US a large group of former or current Blackberryu owners waiting to upgrade.

I think that Blackberry would have been far better off with an earlier launch that built on the hype beginning with the launch event and continuing with the Superbowl ad. All of that was wasted for the US.

Instead, Blackberry has taken no time to build any hype at all. As such, no one knows about the z10. How could we expect good opening day sales when American consumers were not educated about the Z10.

We can hope for two things: (1) Blackberry will finally advertise effectively, and (2) Blackberry has enterprise sales locked up.

Enterprise sales would not be seen in store traffic. Maybe lots of units were shipped anyway.
    Here's the thing... Before apple came along with the iPhone, companies released phones and had successful products without moving millions of product on the first day.. There are no lines at car stores when a new model is released, there are no lines when beats by dre releases a new color scheme for their headphones... but make no mistake, those items sell and they sell well..

Since apple, everybody thinks that if there is no line then its unsuccessful. Taking nothing away from Apple, they created the monster that they have today, not because they have a superior product, but because they manipulate the already dumb consumer... I use dumb loosely because consumers as a whole are dumb.. stores charge 49.99 and people think its a deal, but if they see 50, they say its too expensive... anyways, they hyped up a phone and then throttled supply... The end result was I have mine, you have to wait... Needless to say, the next go round, people made sure they were in line to get theirs first... First day sales don't prove the success of a product.. the staying power proves the success.. if the z10 is still selling in september, that proves the success, not selling a million phones on day one......
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    Instead, Blackberry has taken no time to build any hype at all
    remember the Super Bowl ad? magic tricks and yellow ducks over a month ago...

that money should have been used to properly advertise the Z10 near it's US launch date and more so to be on point!
    wrusprod likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts

One should not match the hype here - true fans of the BlackBerry who were (or are) waiting for this - with the rest of the consumer population. It is way too soon to call the Z10 a success or a failure. No one has any official sales (not shipped; not ordered) numbers. It just hit the US market. No lines. If people expected lines, they believed the hype. Could BlackBerry have done more to publicize it. Probably. Is it over? No.
    Thanked by:
    GTiLeo (03-23-2013) 
    Marc_Paradise likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Clearly BB should have spent more time and $$ on carrier relations instead of concerts, parties and other assorted 'events'.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mallet21 View Post
    Clearly BB should have spent more time and $$ on carrier relations instead of concerts, parties and other assorted 'events'.
    Yep. For some reason I picture rapper 50 Cents walking around stage making the L (looser) sign as the crowd laughs. BlackBerry management still cannot grasp that pre-launch marketing is essential to building awareness, hype and demand for products. I doubt you'll see the uptake of BlackBerry Z10 in the US compared to its popularity in the other markets into which it launched over a month ago. If these 'events' are the best marketing effort CMO Frank Boulben can muster, he should be fired along with whatever remains of the marketing department at BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I went to my local Best Buy this morning. No device was on display, not even a dummy. They got the dummy out of a cabinet. It actually had some weight to it and didn't feel cheap.

The manager told me that they had zero pre sales. He did not know if they had sold any. He was going to check.

He knew about the Z10 and its features. He said that if he was buying a phone that he would consider it. He said that he did not know if the device would succeed. BlackBerry's reputation may be too far gone in the US for it to do well here.

I felt he was pretty knowledgeable about the Z10 and it's features. This means that he was properly trained. BlackBerry did this right. At the same time, no effort is being made to sell the thing even though he seems to like the phone. It is hard to reconcile this.

This was at the Best Buy store in East Northport, NY.

Posted via CB10